Previous in Forum: Steel Fence Posts   Next in Forum: Electrical and trhermal oil properties
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Participant

Laser Cutting of Carbon Fiber

04/04/2008 4:58 AM

I am doing a small research on the capabilities of different cutting processes of carbon fiber fabrics.

I was wonderring if laser cutting would be a feasible solutions for an industrial environement. I know that the laser beam burns the fabric but to what extent? Could this burnt area be acceptable or is it too variable to stay within tolerences? I suppose the laser cutting machines use some inert gas systems that prevent burn effects... I've already googled this but I didn't find enough information on this subject. I don't know if it's just not possible or i'm looking in the wrong direction. Maybe someone here has some experience in this field.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: carbon fiber laser cutting
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Power-User

Good Answers: 10

Re: laser cutting of carbon fiber

04/04/2008 7:28 AM

Google Laser cutting equipment then contact the manufacturer. They will provide all the info you need on cutting.

Register to Reply
Power-User
United States - US - Statue of Liberty - Sworn to preserve and protect Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - How tiny is it? APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - Good idea. Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - Energy in Transition

Good Answers: 15

Re: Laser Cutting of Carbon Fiber

04/04/2008 9:24 AM

We use a water jet (abrasive or non-abrasive) cutting system on a 5' x 10' table. It is robotic, CNC controlled, and can be controlled directly to downloaded CAD programs. It is very slick. Works on a wide variety of materials. Much safer than lasers, and easier to use. Generates little if any waste or loss (due to cutting process.)

Good Answers: 1

04/04/2008 11:13 PM

Hi Marius.M

I agree with the waterjet low cost, good quality and tolerance if you get the right workshop.

Contact >>> fanis@hydrocut.gr <<< he is manufacturer (Best machines in Europe) with mega experience (+30)22950 29050 he can do the job guarantied. He can ship your items every were.

I did a fantastic job with him and low price.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 57

04/05/2008 9:31 AM

Lasers are commonly used to cut stacks of material for making clothing patterns. To the laser, your carbon fiber is just another material. I don't anticipate that the laser would care whether it is cutting cotton, synthetic, or carbon fiber. I guess you would use a O-switched laser that provides low average and high peak power.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 411
In reply to #4

04/05/2008 10:21 AM

I am not to0 familiar on carbon fiber composite, depends on what heat does to the material, do not think it would effect the carbon fiber but whether there are any epoxies in the material,

as mentioned earlier, water jet as an option, had very satisfactory experience with waterjeting composites. Do not now about delaminating though

a test would help you, your machine tool distributor could arrange this.

phoenix911

Good Answers: 4

04/05/2008 12:58 PM

If you are cutting just plain fiber without resin, no problem.

If you are cutting pre-preg fiber with uncured resin, it could start an area to cure.

If you are wanting to cut cured parts, the rate would have to be set to assure you don't induce de-laminations. Collecting the fumes will be necessary due the the off gassing of the cured resin.

But, most likely it will catch on fire ! It does burn readily.

The water-jet/abrasive method is most predominant for precision and large items.

Routers, saws, and mills with abrasive tools (preferably Diamond faced) are used along with jigs for both carbon and fiberglass composites,

I know of several installations with both a waterjet and router heads.

Email if you have specific questions.

In reply to #6

04/10/2008 9:18 AM

Carbon fiber is a very good conductor of heat which would cause your heat affected zone to spread rapidly and possibly degrade the fiber. Water jet cutting would be my choice provided the thickness is under 1/2 inch.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

12/04/2009 8:26 PM

Biggest draw back to cutting carbon fiber with a laser cutter is the SMELL! It smells awful! I have never had one catch on fire from laser cutting but the water jet is the best option for cured parts.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 8 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); Bill H. (1); DGCYS (1); phoenix911 (1); symvoulos_CT (1); v1sor (1); welderman (1)

Previous in Forum: Steel Fence Posts   Next in Forum: Electrical and trhermal oil properties

Advertisement