Previous in Forum: howto: the process of bottling   Next in Forum: DEBURRING MACHINE
Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Anonymous Poster

PIPE I.D. DEBURRING TOOL OR MACHINE

06/02/2008 5:26 PM

What is the cheapish way to deburr the inside diameter of 1.25 tube, 14 gage CRS material in mass production?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Power-User
Australia - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 16

Re: PIPE I.D. DEBURRING TOOL OR MACHINE

06/02/2008 11:41 PM

What dimensions are you talking, metres, inches, feet or millimetres? An indication of the through put of you production line and labour cost will all be relevant to the correct choice also.

www.deburringtools.com

This site is for hand deburring tools that may for fill your requirements depending on your productivity.

BAB

Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 8

06/04/2008 1:30 AM

You do not mention the size of the item or cause of the bur whether it is a saw or shear operation.

If you have short pieces I would propose high frequency vibration deburring. This process is possible with metal or alumina oxide granules.

Otherwise you could use a rotating wire brush to de-bur the ends of long tubes.

If the finish needs to be superior you could use a roller deburring tool.

06/04/2008 3:44 AM

You can mount deburring tool (std.) on any lathe and feed the tubes through

fixture while cutter rotates this can deburr both id and od in oneset up in

seconds.

rgds

Kishore kumar Gupta

pyn@airtelmail.in

Associate

Good Answers: 2

06/04/2008 8:50 AM

Can you provide a few more specifics length, application, clean up deburr or bevel with degree. How many pieces- this can be done also at any service center or mill prior to shipment to you if you do not have the equipment. If dealing with individual pieces Loopco or just an aout feed wire brush for a light deburr

Power-User

Location: Globaly - very close to the southern most point of Canada
Good Answers: 12

06/04/2008 9:09 AM

There are table top units from about $2800 up to around $4800. USD

There are a couple available at: http://vansantent.com/deBurring_machine.htm

Also from Parker Hannifin:

Power Deburr Tool

The Parker Power Deburr Tool is designed for deburring the

I.D. and O.D. of 1/4" through 2" steel, stainless steel, copper

and aluminum tube. The lightweight unit incorporates a modular

design which allows Parker's Cut-Off Saw, part number

974250, to be easily mounted on the top. The Power Deburr

Tool requires 110V/10A power supply.

Dimensions: L – 20", W – 18", H – 9".

Part Description Part No.

Power Deburr Tool ...................................................................... 972125

Replacement Parts

I.D. Deburr Cone ......................................................................... 971816

O.D. Deburr Blades (six blade set) ............................................. 910485

Good Answers: 35
In reply to #5

06/04/2008 9:47 AM

Machine shops I know of, especially the one in my company are very reluctant in investing that kind of money into something new like that. They want want it done the cheapest way possible.

One method is to take a heavy duty hand held drill and and use a deburring bit. They come in different sizes. Mount it on a table or cart and lock it in the on position.

The person as the pieces are cut can quickly apply the ends to the bit then move on. It doesn't take anymore time then if they were just taking the piece and placing it directly on the stack.

This is taking in consideration that you don't do this very often, which is what I can assume because you are asking this question on the forums. Also assuming that the pieces can be handled.

In reply to #6

06/04/2008 10:04 AM

Mass production, to me, is automotive numbers. So deburring with a vise mounted drill doesn't seem viable. Even the equipment I suggested is not really recommended for these quantities but it is a cheap manual option.

If they are processing 500,000 tubes and spend 1 cent per tube to deburr then it is reasonable to spend $5000 on a machine.

For a tube that size a proper face and chamfer machine could be used. This will be anywhere form $25,000 to $40,000 and up USD. Used ones can be found a lot cheaper.

If it is just a clean edge they are looking for they could use a nick and shear machine to cut it in the first place. This will give you a reasonable finshed end. This will cost about the same as a face and chamfer machine.

So little information.... so many options!!

Good Answers: 35
In reply to #7

06/04/2008 12:14 PM

I understand that.

It just seems to me that this is a unique situation for him and that the scale for mass production for some might mean something else to someone else.

We manufacture rollers for conveyors quite often and have to manufacture large quantities and that is how we do it.

In reply to #9

04/17/2009 8:53 AM

I agree, if I was processing a couple thousand tubes once in a while I would just pay some guy to run a chamfer bit.

06/04/2008 10:17 AM

Are you using a cut off lathe, band saw or chop saw?

Do you want to debur the ID or OD? If you were cutting them to length on a turret lathe I'd say use a live stop in the tail stock and then you can debur the ID and OD either with cutters on the cross slide or put two reamers as described below in two places on the tail stock turret.

An electric pipe threading machine has a cone shaped reamer that swings into place and is held at the opening of the pipe then advanced just like a die would be.

The conical reamer can be used on any size pipe and will leave a bit of a lead on the ID of the pipe. I have also seen a similar conical pipe reamer for the OD as well.

Travis

Anonymous Poster

04/15/2009 11:58 AM

Maybe you have found a solution, but by far the cheapest way to deburr tubes is by wire brush deburring. A good supplier is www.rsa.de

They deliver in the USA.

Reply to Forum Thread 11 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (3); BlueAussieBoy (1); gdevine (3); Janissaries (2); Johan van Niekerk (1); MSsteel1 (1)

Previous in Forum: howto: the process of bottling   Next in Forum: DEBURRING MACHINE
You might be interested in: Deburring Tools, Gage Blocks

Advertisement