Previous in Forum: Is Sod's Law Real? Let's Hear About Your Experiences!   Next in Forum: Why is Science Important to You?
Close
Close
Close
20 comments
Commentator
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Punching Holes (Literally) in Gypsum Wall Boards

06/05/2008 9:23 AM

Here is a new one. One of our Architect's here was asked to come testify (I guess as a friend of the court) on how much force it would take to put a fist through a gyp wall. I am Mechanical so I was not much help. Factors would be the thickness of the wall, size of fist, was there a big ring on the fist perhaps, and size of person on the end of the fist. However, that could be the question. Was the defendant big enough to put the hole in the wall. I know in all this vast knowledge that reads this stuff someone may have some idea on how to calculate.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 662

Re: Hole in Gyp Board Wall

06/05/2008 10:27 AM

Punch a hole in a plasterboard wall?
Easy peasy if you are angry enough, (or know how to punch).

It won't hurt ..it will only hurt if you don't manage to break it.

Del (Damn...there goes another wall...terms and conditions apply ..this is all
IM(NV)HO

06/05/2008 11:17 AM

It depends how close you get to a stud....

Anyone who could punch through a stud, I would want them locked up for sure.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

06/05/2008 1:25 PM

While at in-laws about 20 years back slipped and fell. While trying to catch my self on the way down stuck my arm through 4 sheets of 3/8 dry wall leaning together against the wall. Didn't hurt my hand at all but then again wasn't paying any attention to it. Arm got stuck in drywall and dislocated my shoulder as I went down. So I don't think one sheet would be a problem. See these little martial arts guys busting bricks all the time. Just got to hit it right.

06/05/2008 1:28 PM

holes in gypsum are also affected by the dynamic-ness of the punch.... a 100 pound slow punch can be as affective as a 50 pound fast punch.

I believe testing and charting would be one way to define likely solutions to the problem.

This may include dropping a devise that simulates the fist with a known mass and speed and observing the results. Then assessing if the results for reasonable-ness for the circumstances of the case.....

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

Re: Punching Holes (Literally) in Gypsum Wall Boards

06/05/2008 11:10 PM

I personally watched my small 10 year old do it in a temper tantrum.I have no idea of the specs.I do know that he had no training other than what he got after for doing it.He was lucky and hit exactly between the studs.He did not harm the opposite wall.He said he had "Done it before and it did not hurt it".Was it damaged from repeats?I will never know. alfred.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

06/06/2008 4:50 AM

How much force...

Wrong question.

Correct question:

What is the minimum force...per square unit

Probably not more that a few pounds...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

06/06/2008 4:57 AM

Bollocks...

Correct answer..

Stop wasting expensive court time and just tell 'em it's easy...or take a bit of board in and break it over your head ..that would demonstrate it's weakness admirably.

No point in colculations will will produce figures meaningless to a judge, jury and 90% of the population!

Del

In reply to #7

06/06/2008 5:44 AM

Bullocks? As in bum steer?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

06/06/2008 5:54 AM

Bollocks as in a load of testicular matter

In reply to #9

06/06/2008 7:03 AM

Good grief! Where's Andy to GuruAndiloquently elucidate? (No, not that other word—Indeed!)

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Canada - Member - Toronto, Ontario (South Parkdale On The Lakeshore) Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - Great Lakes School Of Marine Technology (Owen Sound and Port Colbourne) Technical Fields - Architecture - Private Practice 1976-1990 Technical Fields - Education - Toronto Teachers' College 1971 Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - Founding Member Hobbies - Hunting - Founding Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - Founding Member

Good Answers: 14
In reply to #8

06/07/2008 12:31 AM

No, ballocks as in prairie oysters...that kind of steer. A little south of the bum kind. Essential to the steer in terms of lack thereof.

Mark

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Construction Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - Member - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Location: Latitude 38.701979 Longitude -90.439540 Coordinates 38.701979, -90.439540 N38°42.11874, W090°26.3724
Good Answers: 15

06/06/2008 7:09 AM

I'm 6'5" tall weight 150 lbs and I can punch a hole in the wall with my fist.

Just ask my eldest after he pissed me off after a VERY long day. He's since learned not to push my buttons after a long day.

I would assume that the wall manufactures would have some data on this particular subject.

In reply to #11

06/06/2008 3:53 PM

Wall manufacturers? Maybe you've been punching too many holes...with head or bottle. Might wanna go back to Bud...cans, that is.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 30

06/06/2008 8:47 AM

I put three such holes through 1/2" sheetrock (gypsum board) through the course of a long, drawn out divorce. I'm only about 150 lbs, never work out, so I imagine just about anyone could do it. Adrenaline and emotion contributed, I'm sure. Luckily, I never "located" a stud! Having to fix my careless carnage made me think, "That was really a stupid thing to do".

Tom

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

06/06/2008 9:25 AM

there a re several things wrong with the post about holes in drywall.

before being brought to trial the lawyers if competent to the task would have during discovery had expert witness data assembled for confirmation in the court .

2) sheetrock and drywall and wall boardare three different things, the expert is unless working for themakers of that particular material subject to court enquiry is rarely ever able to determine flat out what force was used to perf the wall.the coatings on them affect the strength, intensity of blow direction as well as the atmospheric conditions WITHIN the material. meaning - uncoated e.g. no cement or parging- wet or damp drywall no matter how thick it may be when struck at any angle with any force will be perffed at any time by weak or limited atacks on it. a fully cured peice of sheetraock dryall or walboard taken from anymanufacturers mill run of either material coated even with something as thin as a layer of latex paint or latex enamel will perf at considerably different presures than the dry.

if you want to find out where the standards are check out the g.s.a. rating for destructiobility standards tests.then find a ttorney who has the nrains to think that bullpuckey can be a legitimate cause inaction.

'da ber

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

06/06/2008 9:27 AM

No wonder we are over run with wealthy lawyers...

It's a sorry state of affairs if you need an 'expert' for crap like this.

Del

In reply to #14

06/06/2008 4:11 PM

...worse yet, that anyone who can read and write bought into such a ridiculous, and ridiculously contrived, question--one that so "evidently" doesn't sound with the clear ring of truth.

Lawyer

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #13

06/06/2008 3:57 PM

Proof-read copy:

there a re several things wrong with the post about holes in drywall.

before being brought to trial the lawyers if competent to the task would have during discovery had expert witness data assembled for confirmation in the court .

2) sheetrock and drywall and wall boardare three different things, the expert is unless working for themakers of that particular material subject to court enquiry is rarely ever able to determine flat out what force was used to perf the wall.the coatings on them affect the strength, intensity of blow direction as well as the atmospheric conditions WITHIN the material. meaning - uncoated e.g. no cement or parging- wet or damp drywall no matter how thick it may be when struck at any angle with any force will be perffed at any time by weak or limited atacks on it. a fully cured peice of sheetraock dryall or walboard taken from anymanufacturers mill run of either material coated even with something as thin as a layer of latex paint or latex enamel will perf at considerably different presures than the dry.

if you want to find out where the standards are check out the g.s.a. rating for destructiobility standards tests.then find a ttorney who has the nrains to think that bullpuckey can be a legitimate cause inaction.

'da ber

so ber

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 87

06/06/2008 1:48 PM

As a good ME, you should be able to re construct the scene of the crime, and do a quick experiment to put the question to bed...

As has been said, plain 1/2" drywall 16" on centers is pretty easy to punch through...

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 243

06/06/2008 3:38 PM

Look at ISO 7892

TABLE 2 ISO 7892 Section 4.3 - Hard Body/Impact Resistance Test (Single Impact @ 10 ft. Height-22 ft.-lb. force) The hard body impact test was conducted with a 1 kg ball bearing as outlined in Section 4.3.1 through 4.3.5 of ISO 7892.

There is also a soft body impact test as well.

You may find IZOD data which would be appropriate if there was a ring involved to create a "notch".

Good luck.

milo

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (10); Del the cat (4); MarkTheHandyman (1); Milo (1); ozzb (1); scotchdrnkr (1); Steve S. (1); tdesmit (1)

Previous in Forum: Is Sod's Law Real? Let's Hear About Your Experiences!   Next in Forum: Why is Science Important to You?

Advertisement