Previous in Forum: SRAM EDAC scheme - help save an astronaut   Next in Forum: How the Reputtion of a Place Can Be Destroyed by the Press
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 65

A modest proposal - for Mars

07/14/2008 5:05 PM

We currently have the technology to send humans to Mars - except for a couple of things:

1) The radiation encountered on the trip, and on Mars, will eventually kill them

2) It's much easier to send them there than bring them back

So, I wonder - how about a series of one way trips. Let's suppose you have an incurable disease - an inoperable cancer, for instance. And you've got a reasonable chance of living another 18-24 months. Why not finish out your life on a trip to Mars? A one way trip. A year of training, 6 months to get there, with several months worth of supplies, and a supply of morphine for the pain. You get to spend the rest of your life on another planet, instead of a hospital, and you can do valuable scientific work, as well as help prepare a base for future missions.

How about it? I'd go.

Pathfinder Tags: Mars
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User
United States - US - Statue of Liberty - Sworn to preserve and protect Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - How tiny is it? APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - Good idea. Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - Energy in Transition

Good Answers: 15

"The Spirit of the Lone Eagle"

07/14/2008 8:33 PM

This concept is called "The Spirit of the Lone Eagle" by its originator (U.S., at least - seems it was related in some way to a Russian Cosmonaut as well) J. C. Mclane. Google it and you will find a lot of commentary online.

In Mr. Mclane's argument he reminds us of the Apollo program and the tremendous risks of failure that program accepted head-on. He reminds of the probable losses (opportunities lost) because NASA is so very risk-averse. He reminds us that Americans are by nature risk-takers and very accepting of high-risk activities (like driving on the freeway.) He compares his idea to Charles Lindberg's flight solo across the Atlantic ocean. His arguments are well considered, thoughtful and compelling.

I do not know all the technical realities, but past experience suggests whatever they are they can be overcome if sufficient effort is applied. (Of course funding would probably require cessation of U.S. recent habit of invading other countries. Not a bad side effect.)

Such a mission would have universal appeal. It is something with which people the world over can identify. The risks are those faced by explorers through the ages. If handled well it could be great P. R. for NASA and make some lucky astronaut much more than a footnote in history.

However, it would represent a huge shift in NASA's operational philosophy. It would require a return to its more adventurous past. Nancy Atkinson points out in her article in Universe Today that todays astronauts are selected for skills other than being adventurous and pushing the envelope. That is a reflection of NASA today. That NASA does not have "The Spirit of the Lone Eagle." That NASA could never even admit it might have discussed this project. It would not consider doing it.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 661

Re: A modest proposal - for Mars

07/15/2008 3:02 AM

Will there be pretty lady cancer sufferers going too????

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817
In reply to #2

07/15/2008 6:34 AM

The first mammal in space was a dog.

How about a change? How about a cat for the next one?

United Kingdom - Member - Olde Member!! Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 45
In reply to #3

07/15/2008 8:17 AM

I vote for a cat......

ROFLMAO

United Kingdom - Member - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: South-east corner of Spain 50 48 49.24N 2 28 27.70W
Good Answers: 31
In reply to #4

07/15/2008 9:19 AM

Come on Del......it's not that far!

07/15/2008 1:00 PM

All suggestions to turn the sands of Mars into a giant kitty litter box aside...

I'm not sure how easy it would be to find someone who has an incurable & deadly ailment with high odds of surviving at least 20 months (1 year training + 6 months travel time plus a couple of months looking at rocks) in good physical shape without Earth-based medical treatments. And who is technically savvy enough to be well trained. And who is mentally healthy enough not only to go on such a mission, but also to end it. And end it at the "best" time - not mid-trip when boredom and melancholy is likley to set in.

But they do have to really accept that at some point the time will come to bite down on a cyanide capsule or else die unpleasantly from pain / starvation / thirst / suffocation / etc. A lot of people believe firmly they're up for that call, but when actually faced with it...not so much. It could go very ugly indeed.

I don't know how psychologists would screen candidates for that.

Anyway...that all ended up on a depressing note, didn't it? Ugh. Sorry.

Still, if I could sign up - I'd do it! Heck, I've already started building my own spacesuit. I mean, yeah, right now it's just a pair of coveralls spray-painted silver and the helmet is made out of some flattened beer cans and a scooter windscreen. But I'm way ahead of the rest of y'all!

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 55

07/16/2008 12:54 AM

Had you asked this question a year ago, I might have responded with a "Yes, I'd go, even if healthy, simply for the shear excitement of it"

Lately, however, I've come to question the appropriateness of the Mars mission.

Given that I am Mechanical Designer, an astronomer, a rabid telescope builder and a big supporter of the Hubble rescue mission, even I am a bit surprised by my about face on the Mars mission.

Frankly, with or without well people to go, we have some far more urgent and serious technological challenges here on Space Ship Earth.

For one thing, developing a commercially viable Hydrogen Fuel Cell is far more important to our well being and quality of life than a trip to Mars. Besides, we have yet to maximize the potential of robotic machines. Why risk people at this early stage? Why invest on the costly life support systems people require, reduce the useful payload and risk failure because if the increased complexity?

The inevitable technology spin-offs of such a modern "Manhattan Project" on a fuel cell would do more to further our economic well being as a nation than the short-lived ego satisfaction that might be ours should a Mars trip succeed.

I'm healthy and I'd still love to go. However, I'm concerned about the kind of world we will be leaving our kids. A trip to Mars does little to calm my concerns. IMO, the money is better spent elsewhere.

"Both the revolutionary and the creative individual are perpetual juveniles. The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing." Eric Hoffer
Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #7

07/16/2008 11:07 AM

I agree. I wish we would put half as much money into trying to improve the conditions existing on this planet as we do for war and for space exploration. The spin-offs would be enormous and have far reaching consequences.

In reply to #8

07/18/2008 10:08 AM

war and space exploration?

That's an interesting slice of the budget pie.

Just about the only things we spend less on than space are Indians and the environment.

Guru
United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #13

07/18/2008 11:00 AM

VERY instructive - thanks for the graph!

United Kingdom - Member - Olde Member!! Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 45
In reply to #14

07/18/2008 1:22 PM

Sobering statistics there...

I'm surprised NASA is so far down the food chain...

In reply to #15

07/18/2008 2:36 PM

Most people are. We still carry the stigma of the Apollo days, when space spending was a significant portion of the budget.

Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #7

07/16/2008 4:59 PM

Concur - and with almost as dramatic an about face from me, too. Also quite a surprise...

Canada - Member - Specialized in power electronics

Good Answers: 80

07/16/2008 2:34 PM

From what I have observed, most people want to be close to their family during their last hours. Money and fame doesn't really matter anymore. I am not sure that you would find many candidates willing to die alone on a cold planet.

Good Answers: 2

07/17/2008 6:43 PM

Here is my opinion,

Our planet Earth is baking from heat by our activities. Definately we should pay more effort to improve our relationship to our earth.

Moon and Mars trip is a political reason. U.S. is challenged again by China this time.

However, moon trip has its pay off in terms of resources to Helium-3 for fusion reactors.

Mars trip - I dont know, but we shouldnt sit duck either. Columbus wasnt sitting duck. And so Marco Pollo and Vikings. I think its our nature to extend our comfort boundaries.

Guru

In reply to #11

07/18/2008 7:26 AM

It always has been our nature in the past - let's hope it remains so, or we shall surely stagnate and rot in our own juices.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

agua_doc (1); Anonymous Poster (1); bhankiii (2); Del the cat (1); EagleAlphaOne (1); Electroman (2); EnviroMan (3); Laughing Jaguar (1); marcot (1); Mr. Truman Brain (1); PWSlack (1); v1sor (1)

Previous in Forum: SRAM EDAC scheme - help save an astronaut   Next in Forum: How the Reputtion of a Place Can Be Destroyed by the Press
You might be interested in: Way Covers and Shields, Machine Way Wipers, Air Valves

Advertisement