Previous in Forum: Blocking off inlet on squirrel cage blower   Next in Forum: pnematic compressor selection
Close
Close
Close
12 comments
Participant

SAVE WATER

11/01/2008 11:57 PM

This project aims to save office paper, particularly printed papers, on an average it has been found that out of 10 pages printed, 4 have errors which need to be reprinted.

If a machine can be developed where we can stack these error-printed papers, the ink dissolves by coating of an chemical, and thus now the paper is ready to be used again.

In this we can save consumption of papers and thus trees.....ecocycle..environment..it goes on...

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: paper save
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Anonymous Poster

Re: SAVE WATER

11/02/2008 1:11 AM

4 out of 10 pages with errors?

(I think it's time for a new printer)

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #1

11/02/2008 5:11 AM

new printer*

m talking abt misprints and printing errors....

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - ESD - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - Amateur Astronomer Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Writer India - Member - Regular CR4 participant Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 31
In reply to #1

11/03/2008 12:00 PM

Yes, what swapnil says is correct.

The errors are purely manual... wrong orientation of matter with the paper..... wrong selection of paper size (A3 drawing printing on default A4 paper)...., not bothering to fit the matter in a sheet of paper (in case of excel... getting separate print of only one column).... such are the few of manual errors.

I am administrator of a shared printing machine .... shared between 50+ users. I took two or more months to control these wastages of manual error prints.

There are no errors from printer.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 19

11/02/2008 5:13 AM

Thats 40% error. Like the guest said - replace the printer

Good Answers: 243
In reply to #3

11/02/2008 12:11 PM

I believe that the original poster means that due to the Typists error, it requires a "do over." It s not the printer machine, per se, its the operator human.

Clearly they are untrainable...

The issue with recycling the paper back through the printer after some treatment is the "mechanical damage" and change in geometry plus contaminants from human touch that would make it "out of control input" from the printers point of view.

milo

Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #5

11/03/2008 7:50 PM

Surely the advent of spell checking and "print preview" on many documents have reduced the manual errors. Where I personally have excess paper usage during printing is with email printouts which frequently print an extra page with only a timestamp on it. Any suggestions on how to eliminate this?

Engineering Fields - Environmental Engineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 101

11/02/2008 6:38 AM

Organic solvents like isopropyl alcohol will dissolve away the ink, but wouldn't a better solution be to identify the cause of the problem and rectify it instead?

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 8

11/02/2008 1:22 PM

I think if even there is no one grammar error in particular average doc it's used to be so often considered as wrong written in terms of how it arranged, made up etc. So the overall paper waste might be even over a 40%.

I couldn't recall exactly, but I bet that I had read interested me article (it seems in PC-magazine Russian Edition in early/middle 199x ) where had been presented technology and office machine which could remove laser printer toner out off a paper. I even could recollect approximate price $40k - a huge sum for those time when laser printer average cost laid in between $1000-2000.

I've in vain googled the issue for Russian searching request. Then I switched on English and found some articles where mentioned and alternative technologies were described: 1, 2, 3.

It's not exactly what I were going to find out (real affordable office device on the market). But that's so.

I've heard also about the idea to re-print already printed out sheets using white opaque toner.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 12

11/03/2008 5:48 AM

I am reminded of... back in the days of... Writing a resume'. If one was lucky, he had an electric typewriter. Copies of the resume' were done by inserting carbon paper and more regular paper behind the original while you typed it. One OOOPS and you were dead in the water. New sheet of paper, and carbons, and copies, and retype the whole damn sheet. There were no 'KINKOs'. Xerox machines were very expensive, and leased rather than owned. You could not use "white-out" on anything you sent to potential new employers. Much paper waste here...

Then I got to write a resume' using a "Text Editor" (not a word processor), on a DEC LSI-11. The printer on the system was a state of the art Centronix dot matrix with an 8 (or possibly 9) dot printhead. The print was horrible, but it was damn evident to the reader that it was computer generated.

Anyone remember Wordstar? A real word processor...

So today, I use WORD. I can now insert pictures, diagrams, whatever I want. My biggest problem in this area is to find a FAST printer to print manuals and that sort of thing... but not in this thread.

Bill

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #7

11/03/2008 8:35 AM

Optra (LexMark) the fastest printer I ever met when worked in Printing House so long time ago.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 65

11/03/2008 8:09 AM

You appear to be talking about 2 problems here.

1. Printer not always printing correctly

2. Paper waste due to operator error.

In both cases, you would like to process the used paper, remove the ink and reuse the paper.

Removal of ink If you use a laser printer, the black is based on fine carbon, which is inert and very difficult to dissolve. You will have considerable difficulty removing it.

A possibility is a solvent which will remove the binders and then the carbon can be blown off. This probably won't work as the paper fibers will still hold some of the carbon.

If the printer is an ink jet, the dyes can be faded using strong UV, although this will probably be slow. This stage is used to reduce the chemicals needed later.

As a second stage, pool chlorine or hydrogen peroxide will probably bleach it enough, but may weaken the paper fibers.

If a slight background color is acceptable, this may allow you to reuse the paper in the printer.

Solvents like isopropyl alcohol (DVader1000 - #4) might remove the dye, but most of these dyes absorb into the paper fiber and are hard to remove completely.

The reclaimed paper is unlikely to be as white as new.

If you make as many print out mistakes as I do you will have a lot of used paper. I usually use it as scrap for doodling ideas and print drafts on the back.

You have now fired me up to do a little experimenting.

Looks like some fun ahead!

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 12

11/04/2008 9:31 AM

Use paper with a high cloth contact... water soluble ink... and run your oopses through the laundry. I have more than once run laundry with paper money in a pants pocket. It comes out clean but still quite usable. Of course such paper is likely to be 10 times as expensive (or more) than the current stuff.

In reality, my used paper gets shredded, bagged, and recycled. This is probably cheaper than the above solution, with the same results.

Please do not let it out to the rest of the world that I launder money...

Thanks

Bill

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 12 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

agua_doc (1); Anonymous Poster (1); caramba (2); ducon (1); DVader1000 (1); gsuhas (1); Milo (1); sceptic (1); Sciesis2 (2); swapnil_17 (1)

Previous in Forum: Blocking off inlet on squirrel cage blower   Next in Forum: pnematic compressor selection

Advertisement