Previous in Forum: Solar Energy transmission through polycarbonate and Mylar--two layers   Next in Forum: Tribology
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Anonymous Poster

copper patination

11/19/2008 4:54 PM

Anyone have a good recipe for copper patinization that shows dark blues and greens.

also how will relative humidity affect the process.

User-tagged by 1 user
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 243

Re: copper patination

11/19/2008 8:50 PM

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0823007626/finishingcominc

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=henleys+formulary&x=14&y=16

The color comes from the reaction products with an acid.

My dad knows a metal artist and she just uses weak dilutions of acids.

She sprays on weak dilute acid for green use muriatic/hydrochloric acid it will form copper chloride a green stain. Sulfuric acid makes copper sulfate, that will appear bluish.

test coupons, various dilutions, and various temperatures are prescribed for you to determine best method you seek.

I would also consider an alkaline "stop bath," not just a rinse. Baking soda perhaps?

milo

United Kingdom - Member - Not a new member!

Good Answers: 68

11/20/2008 2:07 AM

Hello Guest,

Try these:

1. CR4 - Thread: copper patination copper patination. 11/19/2008 4:54 PM. Anyone have a good recipe for copper patinization that shows dark blues and greens. also how will relative humidity ...
    cr4.globalspec.com/thread/29520/copper-patination - 7 hours ago
    by A Whyte
  2. Patina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The green patina that forms naturally on copper and bronze is known as verdigris and ... shows the copper beneath a layer of copper carbonate patination. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patina - 32k -
  3. Copper.org: Corrosion Protection & Resistance: Green Patina Finishes The much admired natural protective coating of a blue-green patina characterizes older copper roofs, including ancient cathedrals as well as bronze statues ...
    www.copper.org/resources/properties/protection/green.html - 81k
  4. 11985. Is there a way to speed up the natural green patina aging ... I am still waiting for the patina to show up. All that has happened is that the copper has turned dark brown to blackish. My neighbor tried to put a ...
    www.finishing.com/119/85.shtml - 13k

11/20/2008 2:17 AM

Hello Guest,

The "Art of Patination is a brilliant site.

Check under Enhancements, and also

Obsevations and Data.

You will get different colours depending on how the Formula is applied, IE: brush, sponge or cloth. Hope this helps. This side is really amazing.

These are some Formulas

Apple Green Patina (Pink Label)

Powder Blue (Yellow Label)

Light Blue-Green (Green Label)

13.178g of Cupric Chloride3.013g of Cupric Chloride24.8g of Ammonium Chloride
3.074g of Ammonium Chloride13.008g of Ammonium Chloride23.3g of Sodium Chloride
100ml of Water100ml of Water100 ml of Vinegar
1.6 ml of Liquid Ammonia

Observations

Safety - Hazmat - Environmental, Safety & Health Manager Hobbies - Musician - Theremin (That about says it all...)

Good Answers: 19

11/20/2008 10:02 AM

Guest,

While babybear seems to have given a detailed answer, with several good links to multiple resources regarding patina, I may have stumbled across a simple home-brew solution earlier today...

Coincidentally, I was just reading the November issue of This Old House (TOH)magazine on the train ride into work this A.M., where Tom Silva (The TOH show's G.C.) mixed up a solution of 2 cups of vinegar mixed with a tablespoon of salt, and applied the solution via a sprayer.

I can't say that I have any experience with this, but I think that I'll give it a try...

================================================================

Just my $0.02...

Guru

In reply to #4

11/20/2008 7:06 PM

Hello The JMAN:

the solution you list is what I use to clean my copper-bottomed pans. They come up like new. Can you let me know it say a vinegar solution works. Not sure is a 'salt and vinegar would as it cleans. But it may do. As I said with different methods of application it also gives different results.

I like the explanation of

Milo, who tells what acids make what colours. And although your suggested solution cleans my pans. applied and left to grow crystals over a few days or weeks instead of rinsing off as I do, it will be interesting to see what happens?

Good luck..............

11/20/2008 6:52 PM

Thanks for all the info guys its way more than i've found on the subject. I've found some artist supply houses but their pretty much against letting out wat their formulas are, as their in the business of making money and I'm not against that I just don't have the patience to buy 4 or 5 formulas to get the colors Iwant. Thanks again everyone.

Bob B. from Alaska :) Brrrrrrr

Guru
Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Location: East of Seattle, Washington state Republic of the 50 states of America
Good Answers: 36

11/21/2008 4:08 PM

The only dark blue and dark purple patinas I have found on copper has been on electrical wires that have been over heated in the insulation.

As a guess high heat, low oxygen, in hydrocarbons (plastic or rubber).

The colors were very bright. Electrical copper is usually quite pure. Whether the patina/temper color is durable and lasting is unknown.

Brad

In reply to #7

11/22/2008 1:29 AM

Hello U V:

Whether the patina/temper color is durable and lasting is unknown.

you make an interesting point. Friend have copper jewelry which has not changed or worn off. I can't recall now if the crystals need to be 'fixed'? My guess is they may do.

Take care...........

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); babybear (4); Milo (1); The JMAN (1); U V (1)

Previous in Forum: Solar Energy transmission through polycarbonate and Mylar--two layers   Next in Forum: Tribology

Advertisement