Previous in Forum: Suppliers of Fiberglass Cylinders   Next in Forum: Choosing Reliability Block Diagram Software
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Participant

Reverse Metering

12/11/2008 9:17 AM

What kind of controller do I need for 'reverse metering' from my 1.5kw wind generator to send power back onto the grid? I have been told that it needs to sense when the grid is 'down' so that linemen don't get a surprise.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918

Re: Reverse Metering

12/11/2008 11:13 AM

Simple. Call your electricity provider. They will tell what approved equipment is required, rates, and if it is even allowed/legal in your area.

Since you must work with your electric company, they should have been your first call.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #1

12/12/2008 7:42 AM

GA for a perfect answer.....

Its amazing that seemingly intelligent people still do not come to this conclusion without outside help!!!!!

Good Answers: 23

12/11/2008 8:57 PM

This will give you some idea of the relay you will need, and why, but from the question it is very clear that your local Utility Needs to hear from you right away, don't delay.

reverse power relay info

The Utility will handle the metering, there may be a charge.

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 12

12/13/2008 1:07 PM

Lets not forget that any power you put on the grid has to be the same PHASE as the AC power that is already there. Otherwise things will smoke nicely.

Bill

Register to Reply
Participant

12/14/2008 9:45 AM

Anonymous Hero "Simple. Call your electricity provider. They will tell what approved equipment is required, rates, and if it is even allowed/legal in your area.Since you must work with your electric company, they should have been your first call."

Did that. Since my locale is 'Tinyburg, America', the local utility had no information other than 'applications' for signing up for net metering...nothing on the technical side. So even though they have a very slick website for alternate energy programs, they don't have squat for the types of equipment that is allowed.

Many other sites on the web offer tons of info for wind power installations, but they are sorely lacking when discussing the power controller. The obvious components, (generator, inverters, storage via battery banks, etc), are all straightforward, and can easily be integrated into the system. However, that sneaky little controller is still a thorn in my side.

I do know that the controller needs to regulate the power output from the inverter to produce a synchronous phase matching 60 cycle output. And that it also needs to have automatic trip relays to send the power to a 'dummy' load when the receiving grid is powered down, (as in a downed transmission line). Other than these factors though, I have been unable to find out much more.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 23
In reply to #5

12/14/2008 7:20 PM

Thanks for greater detail in how we may be of assistance.

Here are several links that contain the details you will need for your project. You could share these with your local small Utility, which they may appreciate to your benefit.

Info/resources:START HERE

altenergy forum

doc w/ equip details, links

Equipment links

grid connect inverters

storage/grid link buffer

Lightning-Protection

Sample Requirement link, for solar, but similar to wind req's:

solar grid connect rules/requirements

You will be required to have insurance specially for this. Somebody has to cover the potential for problems from letting you connect to the grid.

You will be required to hire a properly licensed electrical firm for the actual connection to the grid.

Doing this in the first place will create less work for you and possibly save $$ in the long run.

HAVE FUN

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #6

12/16/2008 5:26 AM

GA for a really GREAT answer.

12/23/2008 6:35 PM

How about this grid tie wind inverter. It's also listed to the UL1741 standard which is necessary in the US. Anti-islanding is the term for not producing energy when the grid goes out, for the safety reasons you mentioned.

http://www.sma-america.com/en_US/products/wind-power-inverters.html

http://www.windygirl.biz/ (a low cost voltage clamp that MIGHT be suitable, I don't know for sure)

http://www.abundantre.com/sma_inverters.htm (has a voltage clamp circuit/unit)

There are other inverters out there as well. Sometimes you have to add a "Clamp" or "Clipper" circuit or unit to keep them from overspeeding when grid goes down or batteries are full (if you are charging batteries)

boB K7IQ

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (2); Anonymous Hero (1); boB_K7IQ (1); CJMcGill (2); PlayBorg (1); Sciesis2 (1)

Previous in Forum: Suppliers of Fiberglass Cylinders   Next in Forum: Choosing Reliability Block Diagram Software

Advertisement