Previous in Forum: Long-term Consquences of Major Reduction in U.S. Population   Next in Forum: Mail Equivalent of Do Not Call List - Get Green!
Close
Close
Close
21 comments
Guru
Engineering Fields - Environmental Engineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 101

More Pseudoscience Lunacies

05/04/2009 3:48 AM
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Anonymous Poster

Re: More pseudoscience lunacies:

05/04/2009 5:20 AM

Surely it is possible to catch these guys and charge them with fraud. They deserve to be in jail.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 182

05/04/2009 6:16 AM

It is quite surprising how many uncorrect guys there are.

Year ago I made, due to a series of threads, a simple computation of the efficiency of a Tesla turbine. I shall try to find the pages and I shall put them as an answer since although the idea is great the result is very poor.

The same with other more realistic approaches as wind energy generators with 100% (or let say 98%) efficiencies and and a computation result with a simple model of 14% to 18% depending on type of turbine.

The problem is that a lot of people believe and spend their money for nothing or better said for the benefit of unworthy people.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 662

05/04/2009 6:23 AM

It surprised me that there is anyone daft enough to buy the plans...
If you have the wit to understand plans and build something I'd think you would have the wit to know it's impossible to get even a few watts of energy for free.

Blimey, if you want to make money selling plans, there must be countless sensible plans you could sell, water wheels, wind turbines, rubber powered models, chinese repeating crossbows.
If you really want to make something out of old microwave ovens why not a diy Radar? (no home should be without one).

Maybe there is a sucker born every minute...maybe these guys are providing a valuable education, teaching some diy and a hard lesson in how to avoid con men?
Del

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #3

05/04/2009 7:43 AM

You probably just hit the nail on the head, the folks out there with enough sense to build the proposed free energy device have enough sense not to waste their money or time. Then there are the others, who despite their best efforts, can't fold a paper airplane. These folks buy the plans and try to build it but when they cannot get it built or it doesn't work, they just figure it's them and give up. But at that point, they push the plans and the materials into the cellar or under the bed or even to the local landfill just to save face, not understanding that they have been duped.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 96
In reply to #3

05/05/2009 1:01 AM

It surprised me that there is anyone daft enough to buy the plans...

Del, just check your junk mail ... clever folks make a LOT off of very stupid people thinking to get something for nothing.

I've often wondered the same, but the facts are there are scammers and those to support them ... apparently a lot of them.

If we had to prosecute everyone who tried to scam someone else, we'd ... well ... we'd have build a lot more courts and raise up a lot more attorneys (whoops, there wouldn't be any more attorneys ).

Best leave it up to the process of 'natural selection' ... the fittest will survive ... I hope.

Kind regards ...

Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 16

Re: More Pseudoscience Lunacies

05/04/2009 9:44 AM

Daddy, why are we outside? I wanna see the Egress!

Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 62

05/04/2009 10:51 AM

Otherwise sensible people

I watched an "engineer" take my concrete company boss for a LOT of cash on an air powered perpetual motion machine.

They had the cover off and I took notes, but have long since lost them; but it looked like a contained Heron's Engine - but vastly more complicated.

Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 97

05/04/2009 12:25 PM

Many (most) of us has at some stage drawn some lines on paper of a typical PM machine (I know I did) but at the same time also found out that and why it cannot work. The other guys could (or would) not come to the right conclusion and will perpetually believe that it is possible.

Most of these wrong thinkers are completely harmless and can be left in their ignorance. If you convince them otherwise they might start selling timeshare or something worse.

All that remain now is to get a plan to deal with the schemers. As convincing them is impossible (conflicting with their pocket) one might play the opposite game with them. That is show intense interest and have them fork out some money to prepare you for a sale. It Is always nice to see a con-artist being conned.

Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #7

05/05/2009 9:00 PM

You wrote: "Most of these wrong thinkers are completely harmless and can be left in their ignorance."

That may be true, but unfortunately, a lot of them get moved into managerial positions in major corporations or into political office. That is when these wrong thinkers are no longer harmless as they can impact the lives of the many.

Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 97
In reply to #16

05/06/2009 1:02 AM

I thought those wrong thinkers were a separate species.

Any way I am glad they are there because fighting them put bread on my table.

Good Answers: 7

05/04/2009 1:01 PM

If it sounds too good to be true.............................

Good Answers: 32

05/04/2009 11:16 PM

I like this line:

"If you know how to use a hacksaw, a hammer, a screw driver or an electric drill, then you can build this homemade free energy electric motor !"

It's good that if you don't have a screwdriver you can use your electric drill instead!

Good Answers: 54

05/04/2009 11:20 PM

From their letters page "....Alternators are also very high efficient generators but they are not low rpm, we designed our system to use a low rpm generator to produce higher voltages and then we step down the voltages to 120 V AC ...". Seems like they've uncovered the DC transformer as well!

Good Answers: 25

05/05/2009 1:41 AM

No doubt, the world is full of schemers. Some of them convince the Fed Govt to fund ridicules grants to study the mating dance of the tetsi fly, with taxpayer money. Some times these purchasers of "sudo technology" are just looking for a project that they believe that they can improve on. Not really very different than "REAL" scientists and engineers taking on work that was unsuccessful in years past and finding ways to make them work today. The F-117 Night Fighter comes to mind. Technology rolls on and the future belongs to the believer.

TooMuchFun

05/05/2009 6:17 AM

Does the name "Creative Science" tell you anything?

Register to Reply
Commentator
Hobbies - Fishing - Zoomer

Good Answers: 4

05/05/2009 1:34 PM

Yup, an electric motor that runs on free energy. Maybe they show you how to bypass the electric meter on your house.....

Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 16
In reply to #14

05/05/2009 3:29 PM

All you need is a new security seal, and a strip of copper. Jump one side of the meter, the side your refer is on works best.

In reply to #15

05/08/2009 4:52 AM

...It wasn't me guv'.

Popular Science - Weaponology - bwire Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member

Good Answers: 96

05/06/2009 1:15 AM

There's no law against letting someone take advantage of you...

In reply to #18

05/08/2009 4:53 AM

Just back from Italy...and none of those beautiful brunettes with big brown eyes would take advantage of me

05/06/2009 3:33 PM

What a bummer it is to have a conscience. My sister sends me links to this kind of stuff. She's an artist and doesn't have much appreciation of basic physics or thermodynamics.

Sometimes I wish I were corrupt enough to soak these poor innocents for their dollars. Looks like an easy way to make money.

If I had it to do all over again, knowing what I know now, I'd be tempted to become an author and write self-help and New Age religious books. Some of those guys make good dough, and it really couldn't be too hard to do, just read a few of those books and then sit down and write the same idea in different words.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 21 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

agua_doc (1); Anonymous Poster (2); BiomedWV (1); bwire (1); dayhead (1); DCaD (1); Del the cat (3); edignan (1); ffej (1); Hendrik (2); Johny451 (1); mareng (1); nick name (1); Tippycanoe (2); Toomuchfun (1); Zoomer (1)

Previous in Forum: Long-term Consquences of Major Reduction in U.S. Population   Next in Forum: Mail Equivalent of Do Not Call List - Get Green!
You might be interested in: Conveyor Chain, Leaf Chain, Fencing Materials

Advertisement