Previous in Forum: DIN Washer Materials   Next in Forum: Airplane Black Boxes
Close
Close
Close
41 comments
Guru

Location: Commissariat de Police, Nouvions, occupied France, 1942.
Good Answers: 76

Why Don't Moons Have Moons?

06/26/2009 10:09 AM

Ok, here's one on basic celestial mechanics.

• The sun has planets circling it.
  • Most of the planets have moons circling them.
  • Why don't these moons have smaller moons circling them?
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Environmental Engineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 101

Re: Why don't moons have moons?

06/26/2009 10:20 AM

Because the far greater gravitational pull of the parent planet would result in the smaller moons being captured from the larger ones.

By the way, did Michelle of the resistance and her cast of idiots (e.g. Rene Artois et al) ever succeed in returning the two British airman home?

Location: Commissariat de Police, Nouvions, occupied France, 1942.
Good Answers: 76
In reply to #1

06/26/2009 10:40 AM

OK, so why doesn't the greater gravitational pull of the sun result in the moons being captured by the sun?

As far as the other question goes, I will spook to HQ headquerters using my poloceman's radio and faind oot.

Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 62

06/26/2009 10:53 AM

Actually they do, once you have sorted through the definitions:

See dwarf planets

Haumea has two

Makemake has one

Dwarf Planets

Guru

Good Answers: 143

06/26/2009 12:28 PM

They could. There's a volume called Hill sphere where a moon could exist. The moon exists in the earth's Hill sphere. The moon also has a Hill sphere - there's just no moon out there. The lunar orbiter could have been considered a temporary moon.

06/26/2009 1:14 PM

the gravitational pull of the body the moon is circling, is greater than the gravitational pull of the orbiting moon, ie: the smaller moon would circle the larger planet not the moon

Guru

Good Answers: 137

06/26/2009 1:27 PM

Our moon has two new moons this week. I tried to watch NASA launch them last week but the cloud cover was too heavy.

The Engineer
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 129

06/26/2009 2:24 PM

It's possible for a moon to have it's own satellite, but not likely, here's why.

In order for a moon to orbit a planet, it has to be within a certain distance from that planet (depending on that planets size). If it strays to far from the planet, it ends up orbiting the Sun instead.

In order for a moon to be able to have it's own satellite, it must be a certain distance from the planet it's orbiting, otherwise the planet captures that satellite.

So you need a moon that is far enough from a planet to keep it's own moon, yet close enough to the planet as to not fall out of orbit and become a planet instead. Such a precariously positioned moon is rare and hard to maintain with all the gravitational stress bodies experience over the course of the life of the solar system.

At least I think that's the answer.

Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 62
In reply to #7

06/26/2009 2:27 PM

Well said!

Location: united states, california san francisco bay area native
Good Answers: 8
In reply to #8

06/26/2009 3:36 PM

dog pile

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #7

06/29/2009 12:02 PM

So basically it would be like balancing 2 plates with a stick :) got it!

So it is possible for a moons moons moon to have moons!! it is just very extremely almost impossible yet not totally imposible!!

I wonder if I can have moons....

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #22

06/29/2009 12:35 PM

Stand on a street late at night in most western cities and you will get "Mooned" by the young kids in their cars.....

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #23

06/29/2009 12:43 PM

haha. once... but twice would be very unlikely.... 3 times would be even less probable!! hahaha

In reply to #22

06/29/2009 10:42 PM

You are smart. (looks smart from your avatar). So you must have many she moons. Don't you have?

Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Panama - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 213

Re: Why Don't Moons Have Moons?

06/27/2009 12:22 AM

Moons have moons. See the Wikipedia article on Saturn's moons. I paraphrase what is written there:

"Tethys, 3rd largest of Saturn's inner moons, has two trojan moons, Telesto and Calypso. Dione, the second largest inner moon of Saturn, has two Trojan moons, known as Helene an Polydeuces."

Now, the question is, do these moons of moons have their own moons???

The Engineer
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

In reply to #10

06/27/2009 6:54 PM

These "moons" don't orbit Tethys as far as I can tell.

"Tethys has two co-orbital moons: Telesto and Calypso. These have been captured into Tethy's Lagrangian points. One orbits ahead of Tethys, and the other follows behind."

Link

In other words, these other moons orbit saturn and not Tethys. Think of it as several moons in a row in a single orbit around Saturn.

Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

Good Answers: 287
In reply to #17

06/29/2009 4:40 AM

Wow! Thanks Roger.

Lagrange points

This picture from Wikipedia shows the 5 Lagrange points of the Sun/Earth system, but any two bodies have the 5 points.

Telesto and calypso are at the two stable (L4 and L5) points which form equilateral triangles with the the two "main" bodies. Because they are both tiny (both 30 Km X 16 Km). They would not be visible from Tethys.

In reply to #18

06/29/2009 9:09 AM

Thanks for the great graphic.

Guru

In reply to #19

07/03/2009 2:51 AM

Does this mean it's theoretically possible to have a stable system which is a star and six planets or a planet and six moons arranged symmetrically so that each satellite is at the L4/L5 Lagrange points of both its neighbours?

Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 204
In reply to #18

06/29/2009 11:32 AM

I think that must just be a generalized approximation, as it doens't appear to take into account the moons gravity, which is 1/6 of earth's.

Chris

Guru

In reply to #20

06/30/2009 3:35 AM

I don't know anything about this sort of thing, but, I'd have thought that (as far as the sun/earth gravitational fields is concerned) it was relatively easy to model the earth/moon system as a single body at their barycentre: the things which are going to affect the "gravity wells" at L4 and L5 are going to be the transits of other planets like Venus. If I've understood it correctly the points L4 and L5 are areas of stable equilibrium where L1, 2 and 3 are unstable, but, you can keep space stations there by constantly correcting any deviations. Also because these areas (L1, 2 and 3) have fields which effectively pull at the "top and bottom" but push in from the "sides" artificial satellites can be placed in mini orbits around the exact point.

Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

In reply to #30

06/30/2009 1:47 PM

Everything is moving/orbiting/wobbling. I only meant that the shape of those field lines would change a little.. not that it would destabilize it completely, but then that would be dependent on the mass of the object at L4/L5. I agree that you would need some corrections for larger masses.

Guru

Good Answers: 49
In reply to #32

07/01/2009 2:20 AM

Turns out that the way everything pulls on each other, our Solar System is a pretty chaotic place... Objects potentially can go out of orbit at anytime. Some scientists are betting that Mercury will be the first to wander away.

Safety - ESD - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - Amateur Astronomer Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Writer India - Member - Regular CR4 participant Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 31
In reply to #33

07/01/2009 2:56 AM

Yes, vermin is trying to jump and chieve escape velocity for last so many months! He may wander any time

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 934
In reply to #18

06/29/2009 12:02 PM

Yes, this is a great graphic.

The Hill sphere that somebody else mentioned (I gave you a GA) is the concentric rings around the Earth in this diagram. The edge of this sphere incorporates the two La Grange points L1 & L2. Inside this sphere the gravity well of the object centered in this sphere dominates that object's motion. But all objects have a Hill sphere so a moon can have a moon. Our moon has one now that was launched by India and will have another soon from NASA. The Trojan moons of Saturn are not moons of moons, but they can happen.

Now if an object was orbiting the Earth just inside her Hill sphere, very little added energy would be required to move it out of the sphere to now be dominated by the Sun's Hill sphere. (The edge of the Sun's Hill sphere I believe is in the Oort cloud.) So a luckily timed and positioned comet could draw such an object out of Earth's influence.

Good Answers: 23
In reply to #17

06/30/2009 3:05 AM

Tell me your middle name isn't Floyd . . .

In reply to #29

06/30/2009 9:11 AM

No, Floyd is my title, like Ph.D. or M.D. My middle name is Waters.

Guru

06/27/2009 12:24 AM

I don't know about the rest of these ass-tronomers, but moons do have moons... Ever since Pluto was downgraded to an icy, escaped moon - and it has a smaller body (Charon) orbiting it, moons now have moons!!!

In reply to #11

06/27/2009 1:20 AM

Boss,you wiped everybodys moons,thanks

Guru
Safety - ESD - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - Amateur Astronomer Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Writer India - Member - Regular CR4 participant Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - New Member

06/27/2009 1:45 AM

Who says Moon doesn't have moon?

Our moon has a moon around it....

It is called "Earth"

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

06/27/2009 2:46 AM

I' leaving.

Too much "Mooning" going on here for a well brought up person like myself....

Recently I was walking through the forest and heard a young couple "Mooning" or was it "Moaning"?

I forget, one or the other......anyway its still too much whatever it was!!!

Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104
In reply to #14

06/27/2009 2:16 PM

Do Trojans come from trojan moons?

In high school there was a song called "The sound of lovers in Love" or some such thing. I always wondered what that sound was. I think you answered part of it. I used to do something with my tongue that may have been the other part.

There's another question I 'need' to ask: If a man talks in the forest where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?

In reply to #15

06/27/2009 4:16 PM

You asked:-

There's another question I 'need' to ask: If a man talks in the forest where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?

If you are married, surely you know the answer already? If not married, the answer is "YES"!

Guru

In reply to #15

06/29/2009 10:42 PM

"Thats no moon, its a space station!" Luke Skywalker

Guru

Good Answers: 45

06/29/2009 5:15 PM

If a moon (moon1) had a moon (moon2) would not moon1 be a planet and not a moon?

In reply to #25

06/29/2009 10:09 PM

See #11

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 65

07/02/2009 10:18 AM

Moons do have moons - there are a couple of small moons in orbit around our moon right now - spacecraft.

And of course, the earth is a satellite of the sun, so in that sense also, moons have moons.

It's all a question of relative proportion, distance and gravity. The earth can support a moon because it's very far from the sun, so that the earth moon system looks like a single mass. In order for a moon of the moon to looks like a single mass, it would have to be either very small - relative to the moon, or the moon-moon system would have to be very far away from the earth.

Also, our moon can't sustain it's own moon because its gravity is all wonky. Any object captured by the moon will soon crash into it - due to the moon's uneven gravity. This is why we have no permanent (or long term) unpowered satellites around the moon as we do around the earth. You need a relatively even gravitational pull if you want to have natural satellites for the long term.

Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Re:

07/02/2009 7:40 PM

"Why Don't Moons Have Moons?"

Do naked pimples on the but count?

In reply to #36

Re:

07/03/2009 1:47 AM

Did you mean your "Butt"?

In reply to #38

Re:

07/03/2009 6:30 PM

Not mine! It was hypothetical. Be my guest.

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 22

07/02/2009 10:46 PM

Not enough green cheese!

Seriously, would someone on a moon with a moon see phases on the secondary moon like we see on ours?

In reply to #37

07/03/2009 2:06 AM

Good question:

Now, let us think and find out how will we see the earth, if we stand on the Moon?

Many aspects:

Size, phases, ......

Reply to Forum Thread 41 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

3Doug (1); ahuha (1); Andy Germany (4); Anonymous Poster (2); Bayes (4); bhankiii (1); BruceFlorida (1); chrisg288 (3); CJMcGill (1); Crabtree (1); cwarner7_11 (1); DVader1000 (1); edignan (2); gsuhas (3); Kuchroo (1); Manufacturing Jedi (2); Randall (3); redfred (1); StandardsGuy (3); szwasta (1); TVP45 (1); vermin (3)

Previous in Forum: DIN Washer Materials   Next in Forum: Airplane Black Boxes

Advertisement