Previous in Forum: ID Fans and Wood-Fired Boilers   Next in Forum: fresh concrete floor giving off gases
Close
Close
Close
14 comments
Power-User

apology didn't mean to offend

12/29/2009 1:13 PM

I apologize to the international community especially, tvp45 and electroman for my previous post calling all engineers. If I insulted just trying to get engineers motivated, to make it possible to personalize energy, and take the power from our governments. Any thing we can produce commercially should be able to be scaled down. Serving 6 billion not a percentage of six billion how many people would be put to work if we installed windmills in the rural areas solar on the roofs of highly populated areas. If u can dig a well for water u can probably get thermal energy theres three ways to empower the people every where engineers are needed to make it affordable.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 143

Re: apology didn't mean to offend

12/29/2009 5:20 PM

You didn't insult me. I'm a cranky old grouch with thick-skin. I was poking fun at your chauvinism, but that was good-natured.

Anyway, tell us what you want to do and some of us will likely join in. But, please, finish one sentence before you start another.

Good Answers: 1662

12/29/2009 7:36 PM

You strike me as a radical anarchist.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194
In reply to #2

12/29/2009 8:40 PM

You're being facetious, right? I would think more on the lines of young and idealistic.

In reply to #4

12/29/2009 11:12 PM

I see it as more anarchistic than idealistic. That is, if I understand what is being said.

But, that's just me.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #5

12/30/2009 11:20 AM

I,am more an idealist and a patriot then and anarchist,my personal opinion you have a right to yours. If you believe that braking the link in the ball and chain we are tied to as a society " fossil fuels" is anarchy then so be it. I'm saying it is time to convert forget global warming it's for societies sake. Yes its possible to by solar system for your home not practical because the break even point is to many years out. I' am simply asking engineers to join there collective minds together and try solve the problem either by manufacturing by new technology. In reply to the ecological engineer I see the problems of hurricanes and tornadoes and I believe Mr Pickens seen the problem also one by transporting wind generated power and to how to protect it from the elements. My answer is if we individually produce our own power we individually protect that power from the elements. Your own wind mill tower can be taken down before a storm, solar panels can be made to be either detached easily for a storm or a hardened case can cover them before a storm comes.wind and solar are very practical for individual use which would make it a very stable source of energy with carbon foot print benefits no matter what side of that fence you are on.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

12/30/2009 11:41 AM

More power to you. (Pardon the pun) I do believe that certain things are more easily and correctly carried out using the cooperative efforts of "the group" as opposed to rugged individual survivalists doing it all for themselves.

I guess a windmill on every roof might be a beautiful sight to some.

Cheers!

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Environmental Engineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 101

12/29/2009 8:35 PM

You have a valid point in that politicians should shelve their vested interests to serve everyone, but even then that's far easier said than done. As an environmental engineer I've been working on things like renewable alternative energy and water & sanitation, and I can tell you from personal experience that sometimes things just don't work out the way you want them too. For example, the US MidWest has got good windy conditions suitable for wind turbines, but it is also tornado prone, conditions that will destroy the wind turbines. And some areas just aren't suitable for such renewable energy methods. Biogas or biodiesel? Biodiesel needs to be synthesized, while biogas needs a high concentration of wastes to produce energy on a practical scale. So sometimes it's not even the politicians who are the problem, sometimes it's just local conditions.

By the way, geothermal energy isn't cheap either; worse still, if not done properly, it can result in a major environmental disaster that can render a large area unusable for anything. Just look at the mud eruptions in Indonesia caused by a mining company.

In reply to #3

12/30/2009 1:08 PM

In regards to my geothermal comment I was talking more about using the ground for heating and cooling the house. More work needs to be done on heat exchange more work to make inverters less expensive batteries more productive and less expensive. In regards to my comments about Government, they are reactionist people are the cadalyst of change in regards to my country the United States our founding document says as citizens it is our duty to each other to protect our freedom direct our government to do the will of the people. I believe we cant sit back and watch it all happen any more. Just like the Iranians and Iraqi's our founding fathers were willing to die for change and so am I.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 93
In reply to #8

12/30/2009 3:56 PM

Think my Dad once told me that they told him in training they wanted him to kill for his country, not die for it.

I used to be a "good anarchist", or a Godwin Anarchist, but now adays I'm not perfectly much of anything.

I do still like the main principles of Godwin Anarchy being that defense and education are the primary responsibilities of any government, or nation with borders to protect.

When Democracy is just another name for mob rule, the concepts of a Republic seem superior.

While Oligarchy is way down the list as far as my favorite systems, Theocracy seems to be the worst.

I've still not quite captured how come it seems as if most any Iraqi had a AK47 at home or in their car, but couldn't get around to liberating themselves?

No wonder Biden suggested it was really three nations and we had failed the Kurds who were apparently willing to fight for their own freedoms, on their own, and deserved a little support.

"We are all in this alone!" - "Little fish don't eat big fish." "So it goes."

In reply to #9

12/30/2009 8:08 PM

Very eloquent but your never to old to save the republic or look out for your posterity,in fact they depend on you. Id say those big inked thumbs they held up proudly after voting under the threat of death is testament enough.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

12/30/2009 8:54 PM

Turned 57 the other day.

Fist fought on occasion to defend either others, or myself along the way.

I sure enough am not too old to make some suggestions, but I have no doubt I am too old and damaged to win in a fist fight, and better have a gun, not to be flashed around either.

So what if I voted or didn't! None of your business one way or another.

Shooting guns is a lot more work than many seem to understand too.

In reply to #11

12/31/2009 12:05 PM

I am 46 and not looking for a fight in fact if we vote out all the incumbents in 2010 we prevent a fight. I don't believe I asked you if you vote That is your business I'm just proposing a way to exact change no mater who the president is no true change can be gained by the people with a Congress that has been in bedded this long we need new people in not lawyers people. You know we the people I don't see in the constitution were theres any thing more then age and citizen status as a requirement to do any of there jobs.To keep from leaving our posterity this mess we need to exact change and the same equation can work any where.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

12/31/2009 12:58 PM

There was a pretty good reason that the US Founding Fathers supported the idea of the secret ballot, was what I was speaking to.

Everybody hates lawyers till they need one.

Just because somebody is new, doesn't mean they are better.

While life is simple, some things about it are complicated.

It is a good idea to clean up after yourself.

In reply to #13

01/01/2010 11:05 AM

I m sure our forefathers had good reason one may have been the chances of getting a true popular vote was impossable being communication was pony express these times demand popular vote not 538 influential people deciding for a couple hundred million eligable voters and yes some times to exact change u must clean house it would surely send a message bussiness as usual is no longer exceptable.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 14 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

DVader1000 (1); johnnyb5 (5); lyn (3); Mikerho (1); Transcendian (3); TVP45 (1)

Previous in Forum: ID Fans and Wood-Fired Boilers   Next in Forum: fresh concrete floor giving off gases

Advertisement