Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 1

Commercial Pilot License Course

01/03/2010 4:10 AM

Which is the best way to complete Commercial Pilot License course when you have managed to complete the first 2 stages, Student's Pilot License (SPL) and Private Pilot License (PPL) from Sydney, Australia. Because of the deteriorating weather and other conditions there, I would prefer to doing it in India (or other places). Please suggest something that a middle class family boy can afford and oblige. I have already caused a lot of financial burden to my parents. Please reply to: Nachi, e-mail: nachmania@yahoo.com

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

Re: Commercial Pilot License Course

01/03/2010 4:56 AM

Whoever taught your initial courses would be in a MUCH better position than a random collection of engineers to advise you how to proceed further. What's this bullshit about deteriorating weather condition? If so, they are just what you will have to fly in, so get used to them. Good grief!

In reply to #1

01/03/2010 4:31 PM

Guess I asked for it eh?

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780
In reply to #2

01/03/2010 4:54 PM

Thanks for being a good sport, and taking this with grace. Your quest is legitimate, but not well expressed and not with the best reasons. It may well be that the next steps toward your career are not readily available near you, or are difficult to afford. By all means rephrase things, try once more, and best of luck.

In reply to #3

01/03/2010 5:09 PM

What the heck, I have forgotten it all, will you, too? Please. Talking about being sport. my foot.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 93
In reply to #2

01/03/2010 5:14 PM

Good humored reply.

Since you already at least do have a Privates, you're not in bad shape, and your parents may well be proud of you for at least not wasting their money.

In the ideal scenario it is best to just get all your ratings as soon as you can so you can go to work.

While of course flying and the training for it is expensive, in comparison to other professional educations it is really not that bad.

The Private License does not allow for much money making work beyond Aerial photography.

Typically if you do hang around on the airfield you will find some work fueling or cleaning, but typically my experience was that this work was so low paying I couldn't afford to get my ratings in any sort of timely fashion.

If you are out of money, better to aim at passing Airframe and Powerplant tests so as to be able to make a bit more money doing that to finance your flying.

You may also look into selling insurance policies to cover aircraft, since the people that run the world, while reputed to be bankers, are really the insurers.

Some go for single engine IFR certifications and are instructors to build up hours, and some how make it.

In the US I highly recommend Guilford Technical Institute in Greensboro North Carolina. A superior Aviation program there for about as low a cost as you might find in the US.

Honda Jet did all their test flights out of Atlantic Aero there on the PTL, used to be GSO, field, and is building facilities in Burlington about 25 miles away.

In Bangalore there is the HAL aircraft company, of which I wonder why it is not more successful.

Don't know what exactly your ultimate job is, but I did spend some time in this area.

Avoid smuggling, for friends of mine that did that died, or went to jail for long long periods.

In reply to #5

01/03/2010 5:28 PM

Thanks, Trascendian. This is more on line with what I needed to know. Now, may I please have that address for Guilford Technical Institute in Greensboro North Carolina. I guess, I may give it a try. Money is not all that a restraint (as yet at least) but every bit of saving/making extra buck on the side while learning will naturally help. To restore my pride awa lessening burden on my folks, you see. I promise I shall no misuse my CPL, OK? Thanks for the tip there. As regards HAL, no confirmed status, if you know what I mean.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

01/03/2010 6:57 PM

Don't know what you mean as far as HAL.

Google quick produces the address for Guilford Technical Institute.

Actually it is physically 601 High Point Rd./Box 309/Jamestown, NC. 27282/phone 1-336-334-4822.

What's CPL stand for?

At any rate suggest you google the place by name yourself.

Of Community Colleges it is a very impressive institution, and in particular its Aviation Department is very complete.

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 58
In reply to #6

01/03/2010 9:24 PM

This is a good aviation school and may well prove to be cheaper than most.

Popular Science - Weaponology - bwire Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member

Good Answers: 96

01/03/2010 11:32 PM

You will find this very interesting:

At Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, what we do -- and do best -- is teach the science, practice, and business of the world of aviation and aerospace.

http://www.erau.edu/

In reply to #9

01/04/2010 12:16 PM

Embry-Riddle is about the best in the world far as I know, but last I knew was right up there for costs.

Advantage of going to the very best school is partly that we tend to rely on contacts made with those we go to school with for the rest of our lives. Hence better the school better the contacts.

Sure enough I wish I had gone to Harvard.

So if you can swing somehow getting into Embry-Riddle, do that.

GTI impressed me since for a Community College it has a very comprehensive Aviation Program. -unusual for Community Colleges.

Sometimes it works to go to a less expensive Community College and then complete your education at another.

Good Answers: 55

01/04/2010 12:24 AM

Here in the United States, the hot bed for aviation schools is Florida where almost constant VFR weather conditions insure virtually uninterrupted flying. The number of schools in close proximity also fosters a lot of competition which helps keep costs down.

I'd also buy a good flight simulator software and external controls (yoke, rudder pedals etc) for your PC and learn to fly approaches and holding patterns on the gauges. It may not count towards your rating but it will help you learn to scan, identify failed instruments, handle missed approaches and sundry other things that are too costly to master in a real plane, under the hood, with an instructor. At some point you must do that anyway. The more time you have acquiring the basic skills before you start an engine, the fatter your wallet will be.

I'm not sure how many hours you currently have but it might help you to get your complex and multi engine rating at the same time you build time for your instrument rating.

I would also check with the Australian authorities to see if they have a list of approved schools here in the States. There are reciprocity agreements between the US and Australia but I wouldn't assume anything. There's not much point in your getting advanced ratings here or anywhere else, if they aren't recognized where you live.

Good luck and Clear Skies!

L.J.

"Both the revolutionary and the creative individual are perpetual juveniles. The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing." Eric Hoffer
Register to Reply
Active Contributor

Good Answers: 2

01/04/2010 12:35 AM

The Commercial rating is pretty much a no brainer here in the US. Summed up it's like take a few hours in a complex-high performance airplane doing high performance maneuvers and there is a written/practical test (it was my most fun rating). The rating does not mean as much as the instrument or ATP but is a needed step toward getting an ATP if that is your goal, otherwise you can fly a crop duster, line patrol, aerial photography etc..

If you get your commercial in the US without IR, you are relegated to flying no further than fifty miles while conducting commercial ops. but don't know how that works elsewhere. it's best to get your IR ticket first, commercial and then multi engine.

Good luck!

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 17

01/04/2010 3:28 AM

Hi Nachi

Good luck on a flying career. I assume you are still a relatively young person. Have you developed a clear picture of what you want to do as a "pilot" for the rest of your life? And spent some time with people who have followed that type of LIFE? This is the most important aspect of your training...knowing where you are going and then draw a map on how you can get there. Get help and input from as many professionals who are in the game as possible. What I went through 30 years ago is simply not relevant today. Don't let MONEY get in the way....just do it!

What you will find, as the previous posts have alluded to, is to get your ratings, and licences asap. Then your challenge will be Flying Hours. Until your hours are in the 2000+ range you are a bit of a liability to companies in that their insurance policies will dictate the hours the pilots must have. So until then you will earn very little...call it school fees and get on with it.

One of the easy and hugely beneficial ways to build hours to get your CPL is "gliding" AND you can get a Gliding Instructors ticket without a CPL. The experience, teaching & gliding, will prove invaluable as a professional pilot in years to come. And it is relatively cheep to do.

Personally I would advise staying at home with your support system around you as long as it is practical.(Just pay your way at home please.) Starting out as a pilot is a tough time. Also back your flying career with a Uni degree related to aviation, try to include some of the following, even if it's just a couple of modules: Business Administration, Accounting, Information Technology, Psychology, Essay writing/journalism, Advertising/Marketing and then any subjects that you can use directly in aviation eg. design, met, physics, mathematics, etc.

Finally get down to the club and find the oldest, narlyest pilot you can. Buy him lunch regularly and get him to teach you how to stay alive as a pilot. Just feed him, shut up and listen....

Good Answers: 3

01/04/2010 5:33 AM

Try Rajiv Gandhi Aviation Academy in Hyderabad. My younger son is doing his PPL there and certainly would continue there for his CPL.

As regards to these courses being suitable for middle class families - I am of the opinion that they are NOT. I know what I am going through to fulfill his ambition till at least he finds a good paying job (?) to support himself.

I have suggested to him to take up the job of instructor after his PPL. This way he will also be able to log in flying hours at other's expense (cunning me ). Now, since I told you this, don't take away the job I am planning for him to take up .

Best of luck - you are trying to fulfill an expensive desire.

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #13

01/04/2010 1:10 PM

My son has just completed his CPL at Sabina airways, near phoenix - USA. It took him around 10 months for his 280 hrs flying including multi-engine training. The cost is not prohibitive, compared to Canada & Australia. In Canada the problem is whether. Similarly In India it is the course duration. Of course Philippines and South Africa offers better cost structure. But in US whether is better off and depends upon when you start the training session.

Yes, It is a costlier proposal for a middle class family. But if you have been selected by a good aviation company prior hand and assured of a job, then it is worth a try. Sridhar.

01/04/2010 11:04 AM

Ever tried to Google something?

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Register to Reply 16 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); av_nut (1); Bushdriver (1); bwire (1); capri (1); Laughing Jaguar (1); Nachi (3); SRIDHAR (1); The Prof (1); Tornado (2); Transcendian (3)

Previous in Forum: peugeot man   Next in Forum: Sublimation Ink

Advertisement