Previous in Forum: garage gantry hoist   Next in Forum: Onan ATS grounding
Close
Close
Close
18 comments
Active Contributor

Free training course for corrosion control of pipelines

02/06/2010 9:33 AM

After 35 years of developing successful technology that protects pipelines from corrosion I have decided to make the on-line cathodic protection course free.

This is to remove a log jam in the advance of applied cathodic protection and the course is available to all at http://www.dynamic-cathodic-protection.com and another link is at http://www.cathodic-protection-network.com

The present technology works very well but there continues to be pipeline leaks that can be prevented. The technology I have developed enhances existing practices and will prevent many leaks. The course is both practical and theoretical and can provide the basis for work at field technician level to those at PhD level.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Commentator

Good Answers: 6

Re: Free training course for corrosion control of pipelines

02/06/2010 10:41 AM

Roger, Thanks for the links. Your nail in the case demonstration is very affective. You guy's dealing with pipelines have made great strides in educating the public. Of course you are dealing with life safety issues that get peoples attention in most cases.

We deal with corrosion of steel in concrete and use cathodic in some applications. I'm amazed on a daily basis how reluctant people in the concrete industry are to even consider understanding the science of Impressed Cathodic as away to preserve concrete structures.

I'll consider using some of your examples to educate. Thanks Again!

In reply to #1

02/08/2010 8:22 AM

The use of cathodic protection for steel in concrete is governed by the same laws of nature as it is in pipelines and everything else. Unfortunately some of the recommendations I have seen relating to this subject do not seem to recognise these laws and therefore do not work. Others are very cost effective. If you would like help in setting up a discussion group on this subject I would be pleased to help.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Egypt - Member - Member since 02/18/2007

Good Answers: 244

02/07/2010 1:29 AM

Roger, Good effort, many thanks.

02/07/2010 4:17 AM

Roger,

Wonderful consideration and openness for your fellow pipeliners.

TQ vm

Stewie

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

02/07/2010 6:11 AM

so many thanx roger.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

02/07/2010 9:52 AM

Thanks a lot for this linke ,it's of a very big help.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

02/07/2010 11:11 AM

For free? - you are giving away a full taining course for Cathodic Protection?

Are you trying to put NACE out of business?

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #6

02/07/2010 11:32 AM

No. I'm just adding to what other corrosion engineers have achieved. I am not competitive.... I am co-operative.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #7

02/08/2010 8:40 AM

I have been trying to help NACE to recognise a basic error in their application of science ever since I first took cathodic protection measurements in 1973.

I have never received a response.

The errror was recognised by Peabody many years ago and described as the problem of 'open circuit measurements'. Soon after that is was recognised internationally as 'the IR drop in the soil' and the 'off potential' method of measurement was proposed to overcome this error. I went to a laboratory in Holland and saw this demonstrated before trying it for the first time in the field. It only removed one of at least 5 inherent errors. It is for that reason that I invented the Alexander Cell that has now been acknowledged as a means of taking meaningful measurements on which to base a criterion for cathodic protection.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - ESD - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - Amateur Astronomer Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Writer India - Member - Regular CR4 participant Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 31

02/07/2010 12:47 PM

Congratulations and thanks Roger. Hats off to you for it is free. Great

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 58

02/07/2010 8:37 PM

Roger

Thank you for the links and making your course free to the public. I will study the content with great interest. I hope that in some way you will reap just rewards for your efforts.

This is a much misunderstood (neglected) technology which could have saved many large oil companies many millions (in repair costs and reputation) had it been properly implemented and monitored (and maintained). I speak from expereince

In reply to #9

02/08/2010 8:45 AM

Anyone can help in this matter by sending me their experiences as case studies. We can set up bloggs and twitters to air this subject if you want.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 4

02/08/2010 2:58 AM

thanks... very good sites...

Vitt

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

02/08/2010 7:23 AM

Hi Roger I've looked through the modules you've got online so far - there's a lot in there, far too much to analyse here. In general terms (if I have it right) you saying that CIPS surveys are of limited value because 1) the potential values recorded are not 'calculated' from a common reference point, 2) the different values recorded result from differences in potential in the earth above the pipe, not in the pipe itself 3) a CIPS survey will indicate areas where defaults in the coating 'might' occur but will not pin-point the defects and 4) a CIPS survey will not tell us if the CP system is protecting any given defect or not. Is that about right? Is this the forum for a more in-depth discussion regarding your work

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Active Contributor

In reply to #11

02/08/2010 8:53 AM

1)Correct

2)You are correct but the pipeline metal potential can fluctuate with time and the resistance to current flowing along the pipeline metal must be included in calculations.

3)CIPS is as good as DCVG at locating coating faults but has the same limitations.

4)Correct

Thanks for a very good summary

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #15

02/08/2010 9:13 AM

However, DCVG is much quicker than CIPS as it does not require connection to the pipeline. In many circumstances this results in a very much more cost efficient method of detecting coating faults.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

02/08/2010 9:23 AM

Then if you use an Alexander Cell at the defect location, you will know if the CP is protecting the pipe or if the defect is corroding?

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Active Contributor

In reply to #17

02/08/2010 9:45 AM

Yes

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 18 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Abdel Halim Galala (1); Anonymous Poster (6); Glenn Summers (1); gsuhas (1); lyna4 (1); roger alexander (6); strider6 (1); The Prof (1)

Previous in Forum: garage gantry hoist   Next in Forum: Onan ATS grounding

Advertisement