Previous in Forum: Allowable loss in UPVC pipes   Next in Forum: Drainage, Sanitation & Other Issues Related to Shipping Container Housing
Close
Close
Close
44 comments
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 114

How to Install & Anchor Shipping Container Housing

02/13/2010 12:24 PM

This is a continuation of a discussion:

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/49244#newcomments

Please feel free to Copy & paste or link to specific posts in the original thread you find relevant

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 93

Re: How to Install & Anchor Shipping Container Housing

02/13/2010 8:36 PM

In the course of the shipping container housing for Haiti thread there have been a number of suggested ways to anchor them.

One of the advantages all along has been that the shipping containers require less foundation than most anything else.

First set of suggestions for anchoring, or tying them down were derived from standard operating procedures as applied to mobile homes in other places like Florida.

Concrete cones were suggested.

Buried truck and car wheels attached to wire rope, or steel straps, were suggested.

Many long tent type stakes with birds mouth catches into the ground with sledge hammers were suggested. (One of mine as I was thinking of cutting these from the culled strong bits of culled containers and just having a lot of them hammered in. Lots of grab stakes made from salvaged rebar, was also suggest along those lines.)

Part burial of the container shelters has been discussed.

I've thought of pile driving steel posts cut from the end pieces of the culled containers and welding or strap rigging options.

In the end I myself am still for what is fastest and most simple that utilizes nothing that has to be bought or shipped in.

Hence I continue to recommend determining what the best shape might be that could be cut for shakes from whatever steel is available, and pounding that into the earth to lip grab or provide anchoring strap points similar to what is common to be used to hold down trailer homes in hurricane zones such as encountered in South Florida.

The orientation of the shipping containers, or tents, or whatever will be important as prevailing winds and expected wind directions will have bearing on whether or not anchoring of any sort possible in time available, will have success.

I have suggested three crews for shipping container shelter and eventual homes, one being the Foundation prep, and installation crew. A sledge Hammer, and some rebar and a cutting torch, or just a sledgehammer and a hacksaw may be all that they have to work with.

Of the ideas for anchoring I've read of, well the bury of scrap wheels and other junk on the horizontal wire rope or steel strapped sound awfully good, though I wonder if there is on hand time and tools for that.

Good Answers: 17
In reply to #1

02/18/2010 7:59 PM

Trans,

there are plenty of wheel rims and the Haitians have some good welders in and around so do not worry there.

We can also recycle and straighten out thick rebar and weld into "J" hooks and extensions..just lets be the " Mothers of continuing invention".

Geoff daly NH

Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 204
In reply to #1

03/07/2010 7:35 PM

good stuff.. ga.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Panama - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 213

02/14/2010 1:56 PM

I have taken a break from my editing project to have a look at wind effects on the layout of a shipping container village, that can give us some ideas on what is required for anchoring forces, and what effects the actual layout has on the forces imposed by the wind.

My layout is rather arbitrary, showing six containers in two rows:

I wanted to see what effect staggering the containers would have, versus a rigid military style layout. Also, first run did not look at stacking containers. Containers are separated by 20 feet, with 20 feet between rows.

Next, we look down upon the assembly with a 155 mph wind entering from the top of the diagram- the lines are flow lines:

And, we have a couple of ways of looking at the pressure build-up around (and pressure decrease above) the containers:

Note that this analysis is very preliminary and the numbers derived from this particular analysis should not be used for serious design work at this stage. I submit this only to show what is possible. Chris- as you look at various configurations and stacking, we may want to have a look at the wind effects.

One thing that comes out of this is that it looks like a solid row of containers on the windward side would significantly reduce the effects on the containers on the downwind side...

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

In reply to #2

02/15/2010 3:41 PM

so would that lead to windward containers slightly below grade, followed by next row at grade, followed by slightly above grade...

If I had to live in Haiti I would choose to be above grade, for comfort & resistance to flooding. Housing in the tropics has traditionally been built off the ground. at or below grade construction is the 1st step to having fungus factories

My vague impression is that the hurricanes don't always come from the atlantic side many circle throught the gulf 1st, making predictions of wind direction problematic at best.

I like small squares of 4 being attached at the inside corners comes to my mind, giving a built in inner courtyard which would be easier to cover with tarps or shade cloth for communal activities

Register to Reply
Guru
Panama - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

In reply to #3

02/15/2010 4:53 PM

Garthh-

Have a look at the wagon wheel concept Chris has posted- there is a central courtyard as you suggest. The long spokes may not be practical due to excessive land use, but the wagon wheel addresses some of my ideas about creating "wind shadows" no matter which direction the wind blows...Square would work as well...

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 65
In reply to #4

02/16/2010 12:27 AM

Australian Standard for wind loadings takes account of the wind shadow effect for buildings in a built up area. From memory we have terrain categories 1-4 with the higher numbers being in more built up areas and reduction factors in uplift forces are allowed. (I think it is done by reducing the required design wind speed. Haven't looked at the code for 20 years.)

We divide the country into 3 areas, one is normal, one is tropical cyclone and the third is severe tropical cyclone, with design wind speeds going up accordingly.

Winds swirl and change direction during a cyclone.

During Larry, it started about 90 degrees to the north of normal wind direction (the eye didn't pass over us), swinging about 180 degrees as it progressed.

Expecting a preferred wind direction and orienting for it isn't much help. If the eye passes over, full force winds will vary over a full 360 degrees during the storm.

Let's not get too carried away with hurricanes. Most living will be done in hot, humid conditions with little wind to alleviate the conditions.

Shade and ventilation are critical for livability. Mosquito netting is also important. Security of building tie down, important as it is, must not compromise these, but rather accommodate them.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #5

02/16/2010 12:21 PM

Been trying to come up with a Foundation Anchor Crew Tool List.

Since digging is involved, and machines are in short supply starting first with the obvious.

Shovels, Maddocks (picks), Digging bars, Posthole diggers, Trowels, Steel rakes, Wheelbarrows, Buckets, Sledgehammers, Mauls, Axes, Hatchets, Fence post driver Tape measure...level...

- if I've left anything out, lets add it.

Oh yeah, one of those handled dirt gravel compactors would be good.

For the tie down of the Containers, I'm not yet married to any standard way of doing it, but one system I'm leaning towards is to tie down the ends using steel cable, wirerope, or polypropeline rope, whatever stretches least, and we can use.

So then, we dig holes at the four corners, as Garthh has suggested, and put something like Septic suggests, like junked car wheel rims and mechanically attach the wire rope, and or whatever we've got across the tops of the ends to what we set in the ground, using U bolt fasteners turned back to the loops.

Pulling tight could be a problem, and we may expect some settling, so some hefty turnbuckles might be a solution if the loops from the anchor points under ground were left long and terminated above ground.

Of course concrete in these anchor holes would be real nice, but if we don't have that, bits of rebar pounded into the holes horizontally to hold stuff down would be recommended. No concrete, calls for a bigger hole, and rubble.

I've also thought of using hefty rachet straps to accomplish this tie down.

I've thought about the rust likely for terminus ends of steel wire rope underground, and considered slathering that with axlegrease, as a cheap rust inhibitor.

Wire rope is hard to cut with hand tools, but I think you can cut it with big bolt cutters.

If you don't have those you can use a chisel and a hammer on a piece of metal.

If we have to use some sort of just plain old rope, to be able to cinch it all down tight we can put a truckers hitch in it.

Far as these hand tools, well someone on the Foundation Anchor Crew ought to be designated as the toolmaster, and responsible for keeping track of them.

I'm thinking that this sort of anchoring in principle would be an A type procedure, and a B type procedure, would be long metal stakes with birdsmouth cuts designed to catch the bottom edges of the containers.

In reply to #6

02/18/2010 8:50 PM

Torch or arc gouger for cutting wire rope. compactors & bunch of the other stuff will be fabbed up out of what ever scrap bits are handy

beating the bushes for structural steel bits to use in the place of proper locking pins will probably be the order of the day, in lieu of donations.

feed the wire rope, chain, rebar through the corners holes on the containers

attach to the rim/scrap metal & throw it into the whole before refilling the hole. This will limit the amount of tightening needed & allow the use of only 1 Ubolt per anchor.

sandy soil is going to be a problem, requiring greater surface area & deeper burial of anchors.

could all the civil guys [engineers] give some easy field test(s), that could be preformed to help determine the size & depth anchors need to be buried? & yes I know this is an entire field of study [soil compaction]. Having some ballpark guidelines will help the boots on the ground acting as supervisors, to not be crawling up the engineers arses every 5 minutes

Anchoring for a catagory 4 hurricane is probably more realistic than cat 5. which is a 100 year event?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

02/16/2010 12:54 PM

Here's a very basic layout as large flat plots of land are going to be rare

The cool tool is courtesy of Chris288

http://www.imaginationcubed.com/loader.php?aDrawingID=8ad92861941ef9a595603d6adae3218c&from_email=GCHoyman%40Gmail.com&from_name=Garthh

This probably makes what I was trying to explain a little easier to understand

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

In reply to #7

02/16/2010 1:24 PM

Excellent, Garthh- central courtyard for cooking, etc, inherently secure against marauders, possible rain catchment capabilities...possibly one of the units a "sanitary services" (latrine) unit. In stead of a square, however, space permitting, one might look at a hexagon or octagon shape- more units, so that water and sanitation facilities can be shared among more residents...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

02/16/2010 1:53 PM

My thinking is to keep it close to right angles as possible to simplify the bolting up process. 4 bolted up being much more wind resistant & of course the other advantages you cited.

Herringbone variations being equally attractive.

The collaborative drawing tool is exciting, though the process of acquiring a link is less than straight forward.

save the drawing & it will send you a link, right click the link & copy the location.

write your cr4 comment & paste the link into it.

Even a mouse challenged guy like me can do it, I'll turn on the grid next time

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

In reply to #9

03/07/2010 8:31 PM

great stuff!

so here's basically the same idea.. bolted together units in cubes, with combined living space, growing space, and sales space.. so veggies and fruit can be grown in the courtyards, sold at the counter. Sunshades can cover the living and sales unit, while a Transparent (uv resistant) membrane covers the courtyards, making a greenhouse.

Somewhere in the mix could be the composting container to create good fertilizer. Versions of this can be used for keeping goats, chickens or other animals safe and penned (without chimney effect for cooling and shade instead of greenhouse)

If 2 families of 3 can shelter in one unit, (basically 2 containers per family) then this complex would house (and help support) 72 people, by providing shelter, water, food, and security. Obviously some other infrastructure would be needed for power, light etc, but it could be a start.

Also, here is a schematic for a rigid Sunshade/Windshade. I imagine it being metal or plywood, but basically in high winds, it is lowered to the ground and locked down, so it helps streamline the airflow over the container... anyone think?

Chris

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - bwire Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member

Good Answers: 96
In reply to #2

02/17/2010 4:12 PM

I think if you study the aquifer info I posted on the water and waste thread you'll surmise the water table is much lower than has been insinuated earlier. This being the case and a furtherance of design may avail sinking the outer containers deeper or staggering them vertically as well and or building an earth berm to the outer side.

What think you?

In reply to #11

02/17/2010 4:29 PM

bwire-

good point, but one still needs to think of storm runoff...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

02/17/2010 4:41 PM

The excavations should provide means for grading too...

In reply to #11

02/18/2010 7:24 AM

http://www.cityzen.biz/containerresearch.pdf

This paper outlines potential use of containers as housing in Britain.

Note that the walls are 2mm thick. The strength of the container is in the corners.

If they are to be buried, they will probably need to have the walls reinforced. Another site quite specifically mentions this requirement.

In addition, a system of 8 buried anchors would need to be revised as the load should be applied to the corners, not in between.

Intermediate supports would be to limit deflection (if necessary), not resist uplift.

Could use 2 or 3 buried supports. One right on the corner, the other 2 just along the frame as close to the support as possible.

May be better to use a wheel or similar with 2 pieces of pipe or angle or something similar welded at right angles above it with a vertical pipe welded to the middle going up to the corner of the container. Still buried 6'. Each pipe needs to extend beyond the wheel rim wheel roughly 5'.

If I had the skill I would draw it up, but my confused description would probably be less confusing than any drawing I make

Dig 6' deep hole about 15" min diameter (physical limitations would dictate a significantly bigger diameter simply so that someone can work in the hole or a machine can get it's bucket in) and 4 trenches at right angles about 5' long as narrow as feasible. Consolidate the back fill thoroughly (just ram in layers using a piece of wood as a ram).

One at each corner (4 per container) should hold the container against uplift in a hurricane.

In addition, it is best to keep the container out of contact with the ground to prevent moisture ingress (these are old containers and not necessarily waterproof. Floor has probably been damaged from bad loading or rough unloading in the past).

Also reduces ingress of insects, rats, mice etc.

Life due to corrosion minimization will also be improved (corten oxidizes and in acid soils (most tropical soils) will rust.)

Leaving a space underneath makes uplift worse, but can be accommodated. It does allow water ingress to drain out.

Guru

In reply to #15

02/18/2010 11:42 AM

Kyzine Guru
Join Date: May 2009 Location: S of LCD Posts: 1715 Good Answers: 31

#

In reply to #1027
Re: Shipping Container Housing 02/18/2010 12:46 AM

Well not always;

Some interesting forces going on in that lot.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

02/18/2010 11:45 AM

Kyzine Guru
Join Date: May 2009 Location: S of LCD Posts: 1715 Good Answers: 31

#

In reply to #1030
Re: Shipping Container Housing 02/18/2010 1:52 AM

Precisely - and other "physical properties" when you look at each layer in the stern on shot.

But; one mother of a storm (or a corkscrew swell and a descendant of Captain Smith of Titanic thinking, in command)

I guess who will get what, out of the series, is "to be seen".

sceptic Guru
Join Date: Oct 2008 Location: Cairns, Qld, Australia Posts: 822 Good Answers: 45

#

In reply to #1010
Re: Shipping Container Housing 02/18/2010 4:33 AM

GA

Have moved heaps this way.

Works well.

This is what I meant earlier when I talked about skidding into position.

Stueywright Power-User
Join Date: Jan 2008 Location: "San Salvador", Woodridge, Qld. Au. Posts: 438 Good Answers: 14

#

In reply to #1031
Re: Shipping Container Housing 02/18/2010 4:43 AM

Sorta supports most of what I've said, I guess????? N'est pas? Stu. __________________
"The two most abundant things in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity".H. Ellison.
Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #15

02/18/2010 8:21 PM

Sceptic,

this is my post form 1-31-10 which was confirming CaptMoosie's calcs:

CaptMoosie,

your calcs are right on the mark with a little safety margin which is always good. There is also another possibility...when we setup an Artic camp in upper Greenland years ago, we had to secure the old metal/wood huts so they would not be blown away in upto 85-100 mph winds the site would experience during the winters and gust upto 145 mph.

So our Army Sapper Engineers we had devised the following :

they designed a cone shaped device...three feet diameter at the base and 18" at the top with an overall height of 52". Embeded in the concrete was a series of rebars and a large stainless steel shackle link (do not know the eventual weight).....each hut was 52 feet long and 24 feet wide with a dead weight of around 17,500 Lbs erected. They worked out each hut needed SIX of these cones per side and One either end.

A hole was then drilled into the tundra/ice-snow pack about ten feet deep..a steel 1" hawser was fitted through the shackle link. These holes were placed on the center line of the huts edges then back filled and tamped too 5,000 Lbs vibrating load (we used a Wacker vibrating plate to apply the load) The hawsers were aligned just right when the hut was positioned.

Large nylon/polyester webbing straps (about 6 inches wide and 5/8" thick...rated for 18,000 lbs tensile) were then placed over the tops of each hut on the sides and secured via adjustable toggle shackles to the hawsers to ensure the correct tension. The ones at either ends were joined by a central webbing interlinking the side webbings.

The Sappers estimated each anchor was good for a 23,000 Lb upward load with a constant 100 mph wind load applied to the building structure. It worked and we never lost any off our huts (the dutch lost one and the French two till they adapted our system)

Maybe a similar idea could be used to secure the containers in place on all four corners and one in the midddle of each side.....weld a 3/16" to 1/4 x 4" flat stock to the container side from top to bottom and maybe use an adjustable shackel as well with the hawser coming from the cone shaped concrete block...would allow the local people again to be involved and make these concrete stays...thousands will be needed at the end of the day. Also many of the containers could be welded together with steel plates and some extra tie down stays every fourth container?

Geoff Daly NH

In reply to #19

02/22/2010 6:11 AM

Had to tie down a garden shed in a hurry when cyclone Joy was coming, apparently straight to Cairns (it actually swung back out to sea and came in about 500km further south).

Drove in 8 stakes about 3' deep, put doubled fencing wire over the shed and fastened to the stakes then tightened up the wire by twisting it (Spanish windlass arrangement).

Still holds the shed down (I think about 15 years later)

With respect to anchor points, containers are made to have all loads between containers and all tie down forces at the corners.

I wouldn't rely on them anywhere else.

The walls are only 2mm thick and are basically intended to keep the cargo in. They are not really structural. The top and bottom beams provide the structural strength.

This is why there is no real problem cutting windows into the sides.

Guru

02/17/2010 1:58 AM

I'm posting the links below for all the various threads from

CR4 a International engineering forum sponsored by

Global Spec http://www.globalspec.com/

Be aware that CR4 is an open forum where even guests can post.

The conversation can & does go off topic from time to time, which is all part of the open design process...

Please feel free to join in any & all of the discussions

The original thread Shipping Container Housing is over 900 posts long

We started four threads for more detailed discussions after it became clear the original thread was getting too long

How to Install & Anchor Shipping Container Housing:

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/50522#newcomments

Methods For Installing Doors & Windows In Shipping Container Housing:

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/50523#newcomments

Drainage, Sanitation & Other Issues Related To Shipping Container Housing:

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/50525#newcomments

Potable Water In Conjunction W/ Shipping Container as Housing:

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/50537#newcomments

The new Blog started by Clemson University:

http://www.seed-haiti.net/?page_id=2

Please feel free to contact me should you need any help with any of CR4's features

Register to Reply
Guru

02/18/2010 3:33 AM

I'm pulling this over from the old discussion:

AussieBob Power-User
Join Date: Oct 2008 Location: Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 247 Good Answers: 19

#

Re: Shipping Container Housing 02/17/2010 3:10 PM

Container Movement

In days gone by we used construction site buildings and equipment modules with skids mounted on the underside so they could be moved without the need for fancy gear. A little like this (in principle, but not exactly)

It would seem that for Haiti, the simpler the better. For the containers, the skids could be temporary for movement and simply slotted in to the existing locking attachments at each corner, currently used to lock them on truck transport.

The skids could be an I-beam or as simple as a length of 3" pipe. Jack it up to attach and jack it up to remove when in position.

It doesn't need to be this fancy but the same principle

Keep it simple!

Stueywright Power-User
Join Date: Jan 2008 Location: "San Salvador", Woodridge, Qld. Au. Posts: 436 Good Answers: 14

#

In reply to #1010
Re: Shipping Container Housing 02/17/2010 3:35 PM

Bob, now

that's what I was waiting for. Everybody's forgotten that they have perfectly good attachment points/sockets welded into the corners.

They are so good , in fact , that just two will 'hang' a filled container.

They are where all support/structural forces are designed to enter the container body. If the vessels need to be locked together , or fastened to another structure these are the points at which to do it.

Pics are a good find too. GA.

Stu

---------------------------------------------------------

I had commented about using the locking points & hardware same as on ships & trains

Garthh

bwire Guru
Join Date: Dec 2007 Location: Upper Mid-west USA Posts: 6364 Good Answers: 70

#

In reply to #1023
Re: Shipping Container Housing 02/17/2010 11:14 PM

Garthh,

Good idea using the biult in locking with the exception that the locking points are not functional in an orientation necessary of your design.

Kyzine Guru
Join Date: May 2009 Location: S of LCD Posts: 1703 Good Answers: 31

#

In reply to #1023
Re: Shipping Container Housing 02/17/2010 11:46 PM

About as well as the tow vehicle.

Well skids will be better, tug may struggle to move itself.

Yeah you can cleat across the side holes or do a two spigot joiner.

They manage to link them on ships ok - maybe research that box of tricks a bit - could save a buck or two or a lot of messing about re inventing the wheel.

--------------------------------------------------------

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

02/18/2010 9:45 PM

What's the point?

The built in locking mechanism is only function when placing upon a cartage chassis or when stacked on ships, stacking in the port areas does not use locking mechanism.

I have moved many containers, 20", 40", 53' and open top, doors both ends etc., etc., operating out of port facilities at many locations USA.

You may clamp the can together using the corner fastening points or most often it's done with chain.

02/18/2010 11:46 PM

Gentlemen-

I am beginning to wonder if we aren't overdoing this anchoring thing. If we tie a bunch of side by side containers together at the corners, say maybe a group of ten, wouldn't one expect them to stay pretty much in place in most blows? You would have a pretty massive structure that would be very difficult to turn over, or lift off the ground...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #22

02/19/2010 12:14 AM

True enough, and it's crossed my mind, though for the singles there does need to be some standard.

Meantime Preval and Belleriue seem silent.

No news of Mr. Martin's school.

No containers heard to have been moved to any points of usefulness at any point, port, camp, food distro, hospital or otherwise.

Deeds? Law? Transport? UN? US? NGOs?

Foot print of ten, where?

Moved and put together, where and who?

The more I dig, and the more I read, the more I expect some announcement from Clinton and Bush that is a lock up of a contract with Halliburtion, or Root, Bechtel, or some other Corporation engineered to put Haiti into further debt, along with everybody else forever.

They gave away radios early on.

Next thing will be waterproof radios you can call from when you're drowning in a tent.

A rat is on its way!

Cite Soleil!

02/19/2010 12:24 AM

It appears that the powers that be in Haiti still believe in tents:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE61H59Q20100219?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&rpc=76

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #24

02/19/2010 12:35 AM

Let's just rename shipping containers as tents.

Orwell would be proud of us.

In reply to #25

02/22/2010 6:16 AM

Of course they are. Steel tents (Fun when people think that is "steal" and try to rake them).

They are temporary accommodation (50 years temporary?, Probably rusted through by then).

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #24

02/19/2010 9:08 AM

of course they do containers aren't their idea...

Geoff is trying to beat them one on one with logic, which we all know has nothing to do with it...

Members are being whipped out & slapped on the table, but the guy with the biggest office wins that one, reality has no place in that contest

Once again we need to present a 100 word synopsis & go viral with it.

any non techies who I've explained it to in terms of

Shipping containers are better than tents...

totally understood, my point

anyone who looked at the thread, came away confused.

One simple clear message delivered by 1000 layman has more impact than a detailed plan delivered by one expert.

this is a numbers game, trying to ask bureaucrats to get up from behind their desks & do something, because of logic is not likely.

poking them with the stick of popular opinion, having their phone ring with calls from senators, congressman, constituents is gonna have more clout to the concept

even the presentation on the clemson seed page is too academic

Guru

In reply to #27

02/19/2010 9:52 AM

Yes, the blog is way too complicated- and so is the synopsis that I am building (I have recently started working on the latest 650 additional posts while I await input on Part 2 of the first package). Rather than a 100 word synopsis, maybe we need a six-slide Power Point presentation, or a video on YouTube...The blog gets bogged down in the details, and the arguments for hurricane protection get lost in the noise...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #28

02/19/2010 11:25 AM

Power points are nice, but even they are too complicated, I suppose posting a power point on Youtube would be more like it...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #29

02/19/2010 2:04 PM

Actually I did post a real short bit on my own site.

Maybe I wore out here to the point I got real condensed there.

I don't mention Transcendia.org here that often.

Tried yesterday to do a bit of game intro set up for that project.

Sure enough more I study Haiti, another confirmation that truth is stranger than fiction.

In reply to #27

02/20/2010 2:17 AM

Most here are out of their depth regarding communicating with this beast, Trans has some understanding of it though with a few others. Don't expend much energy over it just continue to iron the wrinkles until the situation is notably defunct then move while they're stuck in the mud step on their heads then proceed. That's right give those now on the carpet the opportunity to expose their ineptitude and they will again unfortunately for those depending upon them but you have no recourse. You can only suggest for now...besides there not being enough tents available in the world to fill 1/4 of the order.

In reply to #32

02/20/2010 1:00 PM

Of course we're out of our comfort zone or this would be a bureaucracy forum & no one would have a clue which end of a screw drive is which...

The question is

How do we use the credibility of a group of international engineers, to further influence policy?

Waiting for the the present policies to fail?

Why are you here [on these threads]?

We all hope to help.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #33

02/21/2010 8:55 PM

How do we use the credibility of a group of international engineers, to further influence policy?

You have to play the game...don't back down but do remain in sight while not getting mudded.

The people you're trying to get notice from don't understand your reality, they see a blog. Substantiveness or persistence they understand, find some financial backing someone or entity to grease the skids; to profit from it and have the congressman get the words from their constituent.

How do you get a policy makers attention? You need a front man, a celebrity and play the audience.

What where and when is fine but the who and whom are needed to address?

It's a beast, contact a lobbyist or a politico needing to reinvent themselves or...name recognition try Tony Blair

Good Answers: 30

02/19/2010 4:03 AM

mark

02/20/2010 1:47 AM

A simple solution to the anchoring problem is to take some wire cable and put a secure loop on one end. Thread the other end through the bolt holes in a tire rim and then through the loop, making a permanent loop that includes the rim. Next bury the rim to the required depth for adequate anchoring. Finally thread the free end of the cable (that you hopefully didn't bury) through the hole in the corner of the container, through a metal ring, and back through to the original side of the container where it is clamped down to finish the top loop. This could also be done with rebar and welding the loops shut and welding the end of the rebar to the edge of the container.

If you could rent an auger for a day, you could dig holes for most of a village. The only difficulty would be finding one with a wide enough bore.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #31

02/20/2010 5:09 PM

Drill 2, 4, 6 holes and break between. Use re-bar hooked both ends, wrap the free around the standing run after fitting to rims and container. Supply the basic bent lengths and you set the hole depth.

However this individual tie down may not be important if the village is constructed with linked units between keyed-in containers/water store masses & pump-up stores & ablutions etc. properly configured.

Register to Reply
Guru

03/09/2010 5:44 PM

found this

http://thegroundanchorguys.com/Anchor_Anatomy.html

amongst other things.. just google 'ground anchor' or 'ground screw'

Chris

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #40

03/09/2010 9:42 PM

Chris,

good source but according to some previous calcs done by CaptMoosie and by myself it appears each hold down anchor needs to be around 20,000+ lbs to 28,000 lbs pull up....Wilsons look good for 3,000 lbs pull...would require a disc of 23" diameter and six flights going nealy 11 feet into the ground to get nearly the 20,000+ lb capability.

Maybe the Haitians could do this as part of the jobs creation. Used 125 mph wind force against a 4,000 lb container and six tie downs.

Geoff Daly NH

In reply to #41

03/09/2010 9:50 PM

I have a suggestion.

Excavate 4'-6' lay in infrastructure cover with sand 10", lay in heavy screen or salvaged rebar made to lattice 10' x 40', connect hold down cables to the lattice, cover lattice/screen with 3'-4' fill and compact.

03/24/2010 5:47 AM

A refresher of the links to all the related discussions

The original thread Shipping Container Housing is over 1500 posts long

New Thread as a Compilation:

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/52324/Alternate-Methods-of-Emergency-Housing-as-it-Relates-to-the-Crisis-in-Haiti

How to Install & Anchor Shipping Container Housing:

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/50522#newcomments

Methods For Installing Doors & Windows In Shipping Container Housing:

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/50523#newcomments

Drainage, Sanitation & Other Issues Related To Shipping Container Housing:

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/50525#newcomments

Potable Water In Conjunction W/ Shipping Container as Housing:

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/50537#newcomments

What Shelter Designs Work Using Corrugated Iron

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/50850/What-Shelter-Designs-Work-Using-Corrugated-Iron

Scrap ships as housing

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/51898/Ship-Breaking

The new Blog started by Clemson University:

http://www.seed-haiti.net/?page_id=2

Bioneers Forum

http://connect.bioneers.org/forum/topics/alternate-methods-of-emergency

Please feel free to contact me should you need any help with any of CR4's features

Register to Reply
Guru

03/24/2010 6:27 AM

Here is some of the contact information for the various political entities:

The Whitehouse:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact

The US Senate:

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

The US Congress:

http://www.congress.org/

or

https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

The holder of the purse strings:

http://www.usaid.gov/contact.html

Here are some numbers Transcendian came up with to call with polite communications as people die. See if you can get something good to happen.

Try Beau Mills at 919-859-5999

Try Merorores at 212-370-4840 Haiti Mission to the UN.

Try Unicef at 1-800-486-4233

Try Countryman & McDaniel at 310-342-6500

Try Christian Lopez of Latino Housing Development at 716-881-7051

Try 212-963-1234 and see who you get and what they want you to do. It's the number for the UN.

Try 509-229-800 and ask for Kenneth H/Merten. He's one I aint got to bothering yet. See if he knows Raymond Joseph at 202-332-4070. (check number.) For USAID try 202-712-4007, ask for Mike.

Try 202-271-4416. Bette Cook.

The list is not in order. Mr. Lopez is attempting to get shipping container housing to Haiti, and deserves support. Countryman and McDaniels have information and contacts we need. We do need the UN to act right, but making that happen will be tough. USAID has already told us to go to hell, and all US Government agencys seem to defer to them

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 44 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); bwire (6); chrisg288 (3); cwarner7_11 (7); Garthh (13); Geoff Daly (3); Kyzine (1); sceptic (4); Transcendian (5)

Previous in Forum: Allowable loss in UPVC pipes   Next in Forum: Drainage, Sanitation & Other Issues Related to Shipping Container Housing

Advertisement