Previous in Forum: Desperate Housewives   Next in Forum: Animal testing - the marshmallow kind
Close
Close
Close
17 comments
Friend of CR4

Good Answers: 35

Fleshy T-rex found - Jurassic Park on the way?

03/24/2005 10:16 AM

Researchers at North Carolina State, in conjunction with the NSF, have discovered the remains of a tyrannosaurus rex that includes soft tissues such as blood vessels. They are not sure at this time if traces of DNA will be found or if they would be viable if extracted.

So it begs the question, would you be interested in seeing a T-rex "cloned"? I'm sure many of us thought about it after the first Jurassic Park movie, but it may be possible.

It's also interesting to note that soft flesh fossils have been found before (italicized section edited by Forty-Sixer 4811 for clarity - 03/28).

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
The Engineer
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 129

I think we should clone it

03/24/2005 4:48 PM

Think of what we could learn by cloning it, though in truth, 50 years from now they'll probably be able to decode the DNA and build it in a computer. Still, there is something inspiring about an animal thats been gone for tens of millions of years walking the earth again. By the way, how does Jurassic Park end?

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #1

Re:I think we should clone it

03/24/2005 4:54 PM

It would be much better if they cloned a brontosaurus. I'd love to have some of those ribs that tip over Fred Flintstone's car.

Register to Reply
The Engineer
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

In reply to #2

03/24/2005 5:02 PM

Ok, here's what we do. We clone all kinds of dinosaurs and put them on an island with electrical fences and all that. Then, instead of turning it into a amusement park, we hook up a gun to a camera, or maybe a missle launcher, I'm not sure. Anyway, long story short, you can hunt dinosaurs from the convenience of your living room. Plus, if you want, you can have the dinosaur meat shipped to your address. Somehow lets get a Navy SEAL team involved too.

Register to Reply
The Feature Creep

In reply to #3

04/05/2005 12:50 PM

Looks liek someone already took your idea. Hunting over the internet may be banned before they can clone your T-Rex.

Forget cloning

03/25/2005 8:26 AM

I'm more interested in how closely related various modern-day animals are to dinosaurs. I find it fascinating how close the T-Rex was to an ostrich. I'm also curious to see if there was any "Defects" in the DNA that would explain the mass extinction.

In reply to #4

Re:Forget cloning

03/25/2005 8:38 AM

Well, I guess the value of "defects" would depend on which mass extinction theory you believe, or will be eventually proven. Disease or being outcompeted by mammals, then yes, there may be answers. Asteroid collision with Earth, it won't show much. At least it doesn't seem like it would.

Engineering Fields - Software Engineering - S/W Architect Popular Science - Evolution - Fascinating! Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - A fine computer United States - US - Statue of Liberty - NY

Good Answers: 5

Not the first?

03/25/2005 9:01 AM

Why do you say this isn't the first fleshy dinosaur found? The article refers says there are "few examples of soft tissues, except for leaves or petrified wood" but doesn't say that the few examples are dinosaurs.
This news is really exciting, and is the first I've heard of such a thing (not that I've seen *all* the episodes of Paleoworld), and if it is the first, let's call it that.

In reply to #6

Re:Not the first?

03/25/2005 1:14 PM

I guess it depends on how you interpret these two paragraphs:

Brooks Hanson, a deputy editor of Science, noted that there are few examples of soft tissues, except for leaves or petrified wood, that are preserved as fossils, just as there are few discoveries of insects in amber or humans and mammoths in peat or ice.

Soft tissues are rare in older finds. "That's why in a 70-million-year-old fossil it is so interesting," he said.

Says to me that "other than leaves and petrified wood, soft tissue fossils are rare." This implies that, while rare, fossils with soft tissues have been found previously.

Engineering Fields - Software Engineering - S/W Architect Popular Science - Evolution - Fascinating! Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - A fine computer United States - US - Statue of Liberty - NY

In reply to #7

03/25/2005 1:46 PM

True enough, but your story says "It's also interesting to note that this isn't the first "fleshy" dinosaur found." (emphasis added)

I submit that you have no data to back that up, and that this discovery is the first fleshy dinosaur found.

In reply to #8

03/25/2005 2:14 PM

Ok, I see your point. I should have stated "It's interesting to noe that they imply other fleshy dinosaurs have been found."

In reply to #9

03/25/2005 3:18 PM

Dude, where does the article imply that other fleshy dinosaurs have been found? I think that's just you...
(FYI, as an editor, you can edit the original story to correct stuff or add updates. Not that I'm calling you out on it or anything, but you see that kind of thing on slash once in a while, and they often add corrections in a way that preserves the original reading of the story.)

In reply to #9

03/25/2005 3:33 PM

Hang on a second, this article doesn't mention "Noe" anywhere, much less that he would find all this interesting. Try sticking to the facts 46.

The article does say:

"John R. Horner of the Museum of the Rockies at Montana State University, said the discovery is "a fantastic specimen," but probably is not unique. Other researchers might find similarly preserved soft tissues if they split open the bones in their collections, said Horner, a co-author of the paper."

Not that this justifies or supports 46's outrageous claims.

I really hope this comment gets a "troll" rating.

Register to Reply
The Architect

In reply to #11

03/26/2005 9:49 AM

Ho ho, you are so amusing!

Doesn't anybody care that 46 misrepresented the nature of this discovery? We just entered new, unexpected territory, and these people led the way. We're talking about science breaking new ground here, and I actually care about it.

It doesn't count as "news" if we get it wrong, and pointing out an error or mispresentation is not trolling.

In reply to #12

03/28/2005 8:54 AM

I admit I was poking a little fun at you, but also at 46 at the same time. As for the troll rating, I didn't mean to imply your comment deserved one. A couple of weeks back I got a troll rating for a comment I thought was funny, so I know associate "troll" with funny, even though I know better now, I refuse to admit it. I pretend it says "droll".

Register to Reply
The Architect

In reply to #13

03/28/2005 9:09 AM

That's fair, and I admit my comment that got "trolled" by 46 was abrupt, and didn't quite convey my meaning. Such are the dangers of electronic communications.

That said, I'm still waiting for someone to show me where the article says or implies that this wasn't the first discovery of a fleshy dinosaur, and until then I think the story description is wrong, and as it stands it does a disservice to CR4's readers. I may be acting like a pinhead for precision, but I suspect that's a feature of our intended audience as well.

Ahh well, I'll get over it.

In reply to #14

03/28/2005 9:28 AM

I edited the original entry in hopes of clarifying my original statement. Hopefully we can put this painful chapter behind us and move on.

In reply to #15

03/28/2005 11:11 AM

Thanks!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Bayes (4); BRodda (2); Chris Leonard (4); mgaulin (6)

Previous in Forum: Desperate Housewives   Next in Forum: Animal testing - the marshmallow kind
You might be interested in: Government Agencies and Laboratories, Globe Valves

Advertisement