Previous in Forum: Animal Trial Lab/Model   Next in Forum: Artificial Blood
Close
Close
Close
37 comments
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104

Eat Right for Your Blood Type?

03/17/2010 11:54 PM

Several years ago my wife bought a book called Eat Right for Your type. Three years later she finally got me to read it. I thought it had some merit. It's written by a doctor who has tested foods, and found that some are beneficial to people of one blood type and not to people of another. He talks about lectins in foods that can cause heath problems: "Lectins: a dangerous glue" "Even a minute quantity of lectin is capable of agglutinating [clumping] a huge number of cells if the particular blood type is reactive." "I can purchase isolated lectins from foods such as peanuts, lentils, meat, or wheat from chemical laboratories, and the results are visible under the microscope: I can see them agglutinating cells in the affected blood type." "Once the intact lectin protein settles someplace in your body, it literally has a magnetic effect on the cells in that region. It clumps the cells together, and they are targeted for destruction, as if they, too, were foreign invaders."

I summarized the book by writing a spreadsheet showing a lot of food items and the "rating" for each of the the 4 blood types (Highly beneficial, Beneficial, Neutral, and Avoid) as shown in the book. I added a column for notes in which I put a statement from the book or from another book about the food item. Some of the notes are contradictory to the authors opinion. Other notes are mixed in between the food items. I uploaded the spreadsheet to Google docs and shared it. It can be found here:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0As4HqS4FTrfKdHdzWGJKMmw3aWRhTTVaa3FIcWlCX1E&hl=en

I also put a convenient medical glossary at the bottom. The key and the 4 blood types are at the top with fixed frames, so they stay there as you scroll down. There is a lot of health information here. Enjoy!

-S

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 410

Re: Eat right for your blood type?

03/18/2010 1:18 AM

Nice info StandardsGuy.

My girlfriend give plasma, and she was rejected a couple of time, low iron or lipins.

When its lipins it was cause from her eating something like a cheese curds or something from a fast foods the day before.

thanks,

p911

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 14

Re: Eat Right for Your Blood Type?

03/18/2010 10:43 PM

Well, that's really disappointing. Most of my favorite foods and beverages are avoid for type O.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #2

03/19/2010 6:25 AM

Having read the spreadsheet it seems a to contradict itself a bit.

I must admit while i am interested in the subject i am spectical and my fave foods are on the avoid list.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

In reply to #4

03/19/2010 4:03 PM

Hi Andy,

I purposely put notes from other authors (most are doctors). Some of them contradict the blood type ratings. This gives a more balanced perspective. For instance if a food is avoid, but it stops cancer, do you avoid it? Depends on your situation or mood at the time. One of the comments I put was "Cancer clinics around the world recommend 10 raw almonds per day". I was doing that for a while but ended up in the emergency room with an infection in my intestines (I was found to have mild diverticulitis). Now I stick to the cooked ones when I want almonds.

-S

United Kingdom - Member - Hearts of Oak Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 75

03/19/2010 6:25 AM

Interesting.

As a type O with gluten and lactose intolerances that was illuminating.

I'm curious though why horseradish listed under vegetalebles is HB for Os, but only N when listed under Herbs?

With the exception of pork (which I love), I found many of the foods I'm not so keen on are listed as Avoid.

Thanks SG.

In reply to #3

03/19/2010 4:11 PM

Hi Rose,

"I'm curious though why horseradish listed under vegetables is HB for Os, but only N when listed under Herbs?"

On the assumption that he or I didn't make a mistake, it is probably that the herb form is processed and doesn't contain the whole plant.

-S

Popular Science - Weaponology - bwire Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member

Good Answers: 96
In reply to #3

03/24/2010 11:32 AM

I'm curious though why horseradish listed under vegetables is HB for Os, but only N when listed under Herbs?

Possibly as with with several similar comparisons the herb is used as a flavoring only, so not much there.

Good Answers: 109

03/19/2010 6:37 AM

Hi,

by which method are these recommendations evaluated?

Lectins have a wide range of functional necessities in plants and animals (humans) that we need this activity to survive - the immune system will not function properly without.

Many (or most or all?) lectins are destroyed either in the intestine or by cooking. But some may really cause severe problems.

So it would be very important to know the basis by which your data have been accumulated.

What I miss or doubt in this list is the nearly uniform condemnation of any cheese.

This may be based on a cultural heritage: some of us have early ancestors that have been cattle herders, other lived without (Asia and South-America). SO tolerance to milk products is very different in populations.

What to do?

Adding more problems: todays fish is contaminated with mercury and dioxins and PCBs and other ugly stuff. Farmed fish is fed with land-based food (pea-nuts, soy) that contains bad fatty-acids these are then found in the fish.

RHABE

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

03/19/2010 4:26 PM

Hi Rhabe,

"by which method are these recommendations evaluated?

This may be based on a cultural heritage: some of us have early ancestors that have been cattle herders, other lived without (Asia and South-America)."

I was assuming that he based it on the clumping when he put lectins in each blood type, but that would have taken a lot, and they may not all be available. He did mention evolution (cultural heritage), so that figured in some how. If I can find the book I will see if I can get a better answer.

"todays fish is contaminated with mercury and dioxins and PCBs and other ugly stuff. Farmed fish is fed with land-based food (pea-nuts, soy) that contains bad fatty-acids these are then found in the fish."

I have heard that farm fish have more mercury than wild fish because of the feed. That is a sad situation. On the other hand consumption of mercury may not be as bad as breathing mercury vapor, but I am no expert.

-S

Good Answers: 109
In reply to #9

03/26/2010 8:09 AM

Hi,

if clumping of blood was used to evaluate these recommendations then everything is worthless.

Lectins in food are not passing into the blood.

Lectins are poisonous (I don't know if all, but Mistle-Toe lectins are) by attacking the inner skins of stomach and intestine.

Poisonous lectins may be beneficial if given in highly dilutes shots subcutaneously. The mistle-toe lectins have been established in the non-traditional medicine as immune stimulant. There are so many different ingredients that no clear evidence is possible.

So one company now tries to synthesize a pure lectine - hoping to avoid allergic reactions that may cause problems.

I did try some (years ago) but there is no constant response of my immune system. After some weeks or months the feelable part of the reaction is fading. (But this will work only with injections!)

So I think to compile the list was a tedious work and done with best intentions but has no real significance to recommend or not a food.

RHABE

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 25

03/19/2010 8:02 AM

My blood group is O+, if I follow this information then I will have to remain hungry as there many 'A's.

03/20/2010 3:28 AM

I am 70 years young and have been eating foods listed under O group with 'A' since many years. Due to grace of God I am still enjoying good health without any disease. Has it proved the non authenticity of the report?.

Popular Science - Biology - life lover Hobbies - Musician - music lover Safety - Hazmat - better safe than sorry United Arab Emirates - Member - desert trek Technical Fields - Procurement - procurement

Good Answers: 58
In reply to #10

03/20/2010 5:59 AM

"Has it proved the non authenticity of the report?."

I believe it has.

everything has to be taken in moderation and with the wisdom God gives us. the Good Book tells us that food is received with thanksgiving (not with gluttony), and it is sanctified by word and prayer.

eating right, sleeping well and exercise, IMHO, is sufficient to staying healthy.

In reply to #11

03/20/2010 6:49 AM

Thanks Mr.Langyaw.

In reply to #10

03/20/2010 8:16 PM

Hi suresh sharma,

"Has it proved the non authenticity of the report?."

Certainly not. Have you never had heartburn, a headache, allergies, or a cold? Is there no information in the notes that you find useful? Living in India, you probably haven't eaten much beef, if any at all, because cows are worshipped in India. There are millions of people with Diabetes, clogged arteries, obesity, etc. You are very lucky to have escaped problems until now, and are looking for an excuse to keep eating the way you have been.

I don't follow these guidelines exactly or all the time, but when it is time to go shopping, I like to look at it to make a choice such as which kind of fish or beans to buy. The problem is, there aren't many kinds of fish that are acceptable for sale here. I have been eating shrimp lately, but noticed that it is avoid for all 4 blood types. It is interesting that Navy beans and Great Northern look the same, but there is a big difference. I question that beef is highly beneficial to me because of much publication to the contrary. Nevertheless, I gave up pork but kept eating beef after I made this spreadsheet, and I lost 10 pounds over 2 years, and have kept it off. I weigh about the same as I did 30 years ago.

-S

In reply to #13

03/21/2010 3:54 AM

Hi StandardsGuy,

Thanks for your comments which are always welcome. I did not get heartburn but some times I do get headache or cold may be due to climatic conditions. I am vegi from birth as being born in Brahamin Hindu family. I do not even eat eggs forget about beef. Hindus normally do eat beef as Cow is considered as God Mother.If you are from Denver you might have met some Hindus Indians and know their eating habits.Following items which are under 'A' for my blood group O, I have been eating/drinking since many years.

Butter Milk, Cows Milk,Cheese (occasionally),Ice cream,Yogurt,Cashew nuts,Pea Nuts,Cornflakes, Wheat flour bread(Chappati),Cauliflower,Potatoes,Cinnamon,Tea,Ketchup,Peeper Black.

I do go for morning walk and do Yoga exercises.

In reply to #14

03/24/2010 7:12 AM

And for a non vegiterian Indian my diets are

More Chicken (A) than Mutton (HB) at the ratio 3 to 4: 1 (and frankly I get a bit more problem with digesting mutton- rather the feel of heaviness). Regular fish-eater (but those are not listed here), prawns (A- favourite)

Eggs (3-5Wk) - does not suit. Milk (HB forced by wife - no hidden meaning intended ). Oil - Sunflower (A) , Nuts - Pistachio, Cashew (both A) Poppy seeds (regular feature) , Whole Wheat Bread(A) , Tomato(A*) - almost regular - in curries, Black pepper (A in curries), Wheat Flour Breads (A) regular both meals.

Of course with a lot of HB and N stuff is there. The normal - headaches, colds are part of life in this climate - and don't have anything abnormal for quite some times. Last hospital visi was 2 years ago (broken bones - accident), previous to that in previous millenium (in middle age felt too young - exhaustion - slept a night in hospital and was back next day).

In fact - I like to eat what the body demands (provided the cook at home co-operates ) - which I follow when she is off on vacations.

I believe the biological system gives a signal for the food, you need specific type, simply you feel like having a bit of chicken or fish or just plain light food. Getting restricted in all the theories really takes the fun out of life.

When a body doesn't like a substance, it will tell you and just follow it's dictat (within a limit)

BTW - some items like liquour (A) does not suit my stomach

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #10

03/24/2010 11:37 AM

Has it proved the non authenticity of the report?.

No and if it were you trying to prove the subject only by your personal observations you'd maybe marginalized as a quack...

The gorilla in the room is ...how much longer may your body tolerate...before the train wreck.

In reply to #17

03/24/2010 9:03 PM

Thanks Bwise!

In reply to #17

03/25/2010 3:45 AM

I am just narrating my personal experience, if you feel I am quack I do not care about your comment which sounds funny. I have lived for 70 years still rocking so my train is running super fast. May be these guidelines are for local people living in different environments.

In reply to #19

03/26/2010 5:28 AM

I don't think you are a quack but it did sound funny

So many things we take for granted with little understanding...

Good Answers: 33

04/07/2010 12:23 PM

What I read until now is completely (sorry to say so) WEIRD. A "doctor" wrote a book about food and blood types: what is his background: is he a doctor in medicine or in any other science, like Economy? How many cases did he study to reach such conclusions: 4? 40? 122? Did he perform double blind studies? Was there another group eating something else, in order to compare results? Did he publish his observations (I don´t dare to call this a research) in a medical journal, in order to defend his theory among peers... or did he simply type some enlightened thoughts in his computer and paid some bucks for having it published?. no MATTER WHAT BLOOD TYPE YOU HAVE, let me recommend you to eat CARROTS, as they are very good for the vision: have you EVER seen a rabbit wearing glasses? :-)

Popular Science - Biology - life lover Hobbies - Musician - music lover Safety - Hazmat - better safe than sorry United Arab Emirates - Member - desert trek Technical Fields - Procurement - procurement

In reply to #22

04/08/2010 1:23 AM

right.

Mark Twain said: Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.

IMO, a veggie diet is the ideal one for humans. Sadly, I'm not one. But I try to eat more of plant products than animal products everyday. still, even when on a purely veggie diet, there are foods that, when taken in excess, does more harm than good.

About 2 weeks ago, the missus took too much mongo sprouts it triggered gout on her foot and caused her to limp with pain.

and, yes, no matter what blood type you have, banana is good for the complexion. have you ever seen a monkey with pimples?

Good Answers: 28
In reply to #23

04/08/2010 4:04 AM

banana is good for the complexion. have you ever seen a monkey with pimples?

Well, no. Not on it's face anyway.

But I guess it could be because of the Bundaberg Rum. (There's a rhyme. It's part of their adv't jingle. It'll probably be on Utube, but I've not looked)

Doc,

Best not go into the realm of Big Pharma and Big Med too far.

It's not a health industry. It's a sickness industry, and the BS must be steadfastly outpoured so as to keep everyone in secure earnings. Calculate what %'ge of the GDP it turns over each year. It frightened me.

I'm one of the lucky 'escapees', who's now fit and healthy again.

Sorry. Not wanting to be rude in any way, but all is not as it seems.

Cheers,

Stu.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 65
In reply to #25

04/08/2010 4:18 AM

Hi Stuey

Best not go into the realm of Big Pharma and Big Med too far.

It's not a health industry. It's a sickness industry, and the BS must be steadfastly outpoured so as to keep everyone in secure earnings. Calculate what %'ge of the GDP it turns over each year. It frightened me.

As an irrelevance, the greek from which we get "Pharmacist" (Pharmacopeia or something like it) literally means "poisoner".

I once had a specialist whose first remark each visit was "What are we poisoning you with now?" He was serious!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #23

04/08/2010 6:03 PM

"IMO, a veggie diet is the ideal one for humans. Sadly, I'm not one."

I'm sorry you're not human, but aliens are welcome here on CR4!

In reply to #28

04/10/2010 3:05 AM

<LOL> I gave my identity away on that one.

I'm just wondering how is it you've never seen a rabbit eating a carrot.

In reply to #22

04/08/2010 3:45 AM

Hi r&doc,

I absolutely agree with you. Firstly who is this Doc his name is not reveled. We have Dietitians who are experts about the diets.Also why other Docs have not recommended this blood group related diet?.Even same blood group person may have different reactions to same diets. It always depends on the physical health of the person.So we can not apply thumb rule for same blood group persons.

In reply to #24

04/08/2010 6:12 PM

The doctor's name is listed in the spreadsheet at the top. I have to agree that not everyone with the same blood type (or even people with the same culture) will react the same to every food. It is only a guideline. One must apply his own experience to it. A major value of the spreadsheet is the comments in the notes column IMO.

In reply to #22

04/08/2010 6:01 PM

"...have you EVER seen a rabbit wearing glasses?"

No, but I have not seen one eating carrots either. I have rabbits in my yard constantly. If I chase them out, they just come in a few feet down again. They have never bothered my carrots or lettuce or any part of my garden AFAIK. They eat the bindweed in my lawn, just not fast enough. I had an ornamental cabbage a couple years ago. A rabbit lied under it all summer, but never took a bite.

The author is a medical doctor, as was his father. He built on his father's work. I haven't found the book yet, but I don't recall much explanation of studies.

In reply to #27

04/08/2010 7:30 PM

Hi StandardsGuy, please do not consider my reply as offensive, cause it is not my way! Having said this; I also would like to state that being a physician, I cannot look to the side and support unproven theories that may be harmful to others. There was a time in which medicine was only based in suppositions, black magic and weird myths. Those who felt the need of LEARNING had to steal corpses to get a little clue on how the "human machine" worked: Avicena, Leonardo Da Vinci and William Harvey (among others) would have been tortured and killed by the inquisition had they been caught. Their knowledge passed to the next generations in the only possible way: from mouth to mouth,as no written records could be left behind. During the 19th and 20th century medicine really took off and turned into a science. Nowadays the vast majority of diseases can be cured or -at least alleviated. Nevertheless researchers continue diving deeper and deeper into our molecules to understand what we do not know; (which is probably MUCH MORE than what we believe we know). For these reasons I cannot support unproven theories, even if intrinsically harmless as they may divert people from getting the right treatment, while they still have a chance of getting cured. Long story made short: a mid aged man came to my office because he had had seizures. I diagnosed a benign brain tumor (Meningioma) and advised a surgery, which he refused because he was on Urinetherapy. Due to the location and the size of the tumor, the surgical risk was quite low and cure rate of about 90%. One month this patient got into a deep coma due to a malign brain swelling. Two days later he passed away. These kind of stories are much more frequent than you may believe... and it is a real pity!

In reply to #30

04/09/2010 6:27 AM

Hi Doc, Without prejudice.

"I cannot look to the side and support unproven theories that may be harmful to others."

I commend your position on this. I'm unaware of your position in your community.

In our 'affluent' society mainstream medicine is driven and controlled largely by the pharmaceutical companies. Example; patient is diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, medico prescribes courses of synthetically derived chemicals to ease the discomfort, with an off-the-cuff advice to abstain from the lifestyle which may have caused the distress. Come back in 2 weeks (3 or 4?). Patient progresses through to where, whilst walking on the beach, sustains a cut, flesh wound, to the foot, which culminates in removing part of the foot, due ultimately to gangrene. All the while 'supported' by copious doses of 'medication', and the surrender of many 'fees'. You know where this is going. Double amputation. Death. This is not the fault of the physician, entirely. I find the modern medical training, or, at least that sector of 'modern' which began 50 years ago and still persists, does not equip the practitioners for the real world. They eventually get caught up in the 'money-go-round' and then don't know how to get off, affluence is so comfortable, so the only therapy which is understood is bigger houses, fancier cars, farmlets in the country, a chalet in France, etc. I've heard the exclamations; "you can't make money from that" when they're confronted with what's now considered 'alternative' medicine.

Why are medical students not deeply involved in the most important factor of human existence? Nutrition.

"divert people from getting the right treatment."

Who determines which is the 'right treatment'?

We have known for some time that diabetes can be cured. Why is it not so?

Because there has grown an industry about it, and those who say thus are branded heretics, quacks and whatever so as to have them disbelieved.

Same with cancer. Imagine, if you will, the amount of manpower engaged in the cancer industry, on a worldwide basis, and then imagine that, overnight the industry would be shut down. How many $billions of investment,in machinery, processes, pharmaceuticals, how many hundreds of thousands of good folk, toilers, would be thrown on the scrap heap, with little or no prospects. The world has gotten to a position where the monster can't be, must not be, deviated from its chosen path. ( a cynic would say that they're doing their bit for overpopulation)

" I diagnosed a benign brain tumor (Meningioma) and advised a surgery, which he refused because he was on Urinetherapy."

You were exactly correct in your proceedure and advice. Here we now have the emergence of the lesser 'monster'. The crackpots, etc. who advise the taking of one's waste products as therapy.Where in the realm of understanding does it escape them that once it has become waste from the body, it is just that. And of course, all the other fringe therapies. But, who is there, to properly advise the sufferer of which therapy is the most advantageous.

Therein lies the seed of yet another industry (mark my words). A middleman who does the procurement. A pimp. Yet another income stream to be pulled from the hapless 'patient'. ( I've not understood really why they're called 'patients', although it's a commodity which one really does need in quantity).

We now have knowledge that diabetes, most cancers, and a whole host of other diseases can be cured. For sure and definite.

Yet the two polarised factions squabble over the 'spoils', like kids over a bag of marbles, and make folk like me mad as hornets, in their doing so.

I do know the industry first hand. I was married to a medic, and have them in the family.

So, let me commend the good Doc who researched this nutrition philosophy, and has presented it so as to encourage folk to 'first treat themselves' by eating decently.

We all know that there is no panancea. Everyone has slightly different requirements. And we have to work with the hope that they are bright enough to individually recognise this, and adjust as required.

Damn shame that nutrition is not a required study by everyone. And as early as possible. ( give me a child 'till he is seven, etc)

It should be.

All the best to you,

Cheers,

Stu

In reply to #33

04/09/2010 8:26 AM

HI Stue, thanks for your frankness. Fortunately things are not black or white, there is a broad grey area in between. It is true that there are a lot of doctors only looking for $ by doing lousy medicine. But there are many other right now risking their lives working under hazardous circumstances like labs with highly infective or dangerous stuff looking for something that will be of use for our grandchildren ... or completely useless. There are also MD´s in the war-front, slums, villages in the middle of nowhere who really CARE for their patients. Lawyers are one of the main problems of modern medicine: they invented a perverse industry that turned the patient into a potential enemy of the physician, and the doctor is forced to prescribe more complex and costly studies, the latest (and more expensive medicines), etc just to cover his back... and we are all part of this! Have a great weekend!

04/08/2010 11:44 PM

After the comment on bananas, I looked them up in the spreadsheet. I find them to be a very good food at a reasonable price. The doctor (author) says "they have a lectin that interferes with A and AB digestion". Are any of you type A or AB? What is your experience with digesting bananas?

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 65
In reply to #31

04/09/2010 6:21 AM

I'm A and have no trouble with digesting bananas.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #31

04/09/2010 6:37 AM

You're right about their nutrition.

I have no problem with them, personally.

My Dad wouldn't eat a banana 'till its skin was mostly black. He maintained that the sugars were not properly digestible 'till then. And he was fit, 'till the end.

But then , of course, he was probably told that by his mother.

That's the best time to put them in a 'smoothie'. And they're cheap,( read free). The fruiterer discards them when they get a little black on them 'cause no one will buy them.

But me. (he, he, he, )

Cheers,

Stu.

04/30/2010 1:03 PM

Hi Guy,

It's hard to get good eating habits from books made by people who want to make money on readers. Who, I talking about the general human population, has the knowledge, education, understand what is good and what is bad for us, the will to do things right, and the final decision to do and maintain the doing actions for ever?

The real answer to that is: Nobody, except a few. The few is "zero" in the count of 6.5 billion.

Eat veggies with carbohydrates, veggies with meats, and never mix carbohydrates with meats. Respect this simple rule and your health will be fine. Why this rule and not another? Understand how we digest and you will catch it, Gil.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 37 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy K (1); Anonymous Poster (2); bwire (3); English Rose (1); IanR (1); langyaw (3); phoenix911 (1); r&ddoc (3); RHABE (2); sceptic (2); StandardsGuy (9); Stueywright (3); suresh sharma (6)

Previous in Forum: Animal Trial Lab/Model   Next in Forum: Artificial Blood
You might be interested in: Photovoltaic Cells, Fuel Cells, Load Cells

Advertisement