Previous in Forum: What's This Honda CA160 Worth?   Next in Forum: Alternate Methods of Emergency Housing as it Relates to the Crisis in Haiti
Close
Close
Close
34 comments
Active Contributor

Cleaning Windows with Newspapers

03/23/2010 9:13 AM

I have heard that newspapers are really good for cleaning windows. Most people say it is because the paper it is printed on is very soft and leaves behind no lint, but I have heard that it is really because of the ink in the paper. Some say that the ink can "absorb" dirt and finger prints. Does anyone know anything about this or why it happens?

I believe the ink is made from carbon black which seems like it would stain and not clean. Newspapers really do work though, I have tried.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: cleaning
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 37

Re: Cleaning with newspaper

03/23/2010 9:30 AM

Typically when I wash the outside of the windows from a ladder I use white vinegar and water with newspaper. The ink does not come off the paper and you can really saturate the glass with the solution. Plus newspaper is cheap and readily absorbs the water. Some people say the ink is what polishes the glass.

Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 97

Re: Cleaning with Newspaper

03/23/2010 10:09 AM

A pen is stronger than a sword.

Ink is stronger than dirt.

For a test you should obtain some blank paper.

In reply to #2

03/24/2010 11:25 AM

Hi Hendrik,

Did you protect your three sentences by "patent"? If I understand, everyone uses newspapers for window cleaning, except the questioner. We give away freely very secret informations. We have to protect our knowlegde because the Chinese will copy us and we have no more newspaper here. Isn't it possible, Gil.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 282
In reply to #17

03/24/2010 11:35 AM

While not certain, I believe you may be confusing Hendrik with another member...

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

03/23/2010 10:12 AM

About 95% of American newspapers use Soy based ink.

The paper itself is a cousin of paper towels... this is why it works so well.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_people_use_newspaper_to_clean_glass

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 144

03/23/2010 11:18 AM

Try the ink test: flyers with lots of coloured ink work better than newsprint. Why? The fibers in the paper that would make 'lint' and leave a trail of dust on your window, are completely matted down by the inks.

No lint is the point, that makes flyers the best and cloths or paper towels not so good (although microfiber is not bad for a lint free shine).

03/23/2010 1:14 PM

Hang on a second...what do you mean exactly when you talk about "cleaning your windows"?

Do those things need to be cleaned for some maintenance reason? Wouldn't that risk letting more light get inside? I don't know about you, but I'm an Engineer - exposure to sunlight would negatively impact my carefully-cultivated pallor and may even be against company policy.

Next thing you'll be saying is we should somehow move the windows aside and allow "fresh air" to freely infiltrate our homes and workspaces! That way lies madness, my friend!

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 204

Re: Cleaning Windows with Newspapers

03/23/2010 10:38 PM

I think its newspaper WITH baking soda solution or vinegar...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

03/24/2010 11:36 AM

Hi Chris,

Absolutely right! I use water to eliminate dirt, vinegar to eliminate toothpaste rests on the mirror or the ceramic.

Chris, we give too much free information. It's not good or I don't like it at all! An adult ask for it!?

My son at 7 or 8, he did already without asking. He probably saw somewhere else and wanted to show me. I was really surprised. I discovered that someone young can be smarter than an older adult. Frustrating! Wish you a good day, Gil.

Good Answers: 28
In reply to #20

03/24/2010 12:15 PM

Giving of information that is common to many of us to those who seek it is what we are all about here. Giving of proprietary information is a different matter.

Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 22

03/24/2010 12:41 AM

I tried cleaning my windows with vinegar and newspaper, but the vinegar ruined the cpu and gummed up the keyboard :)

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

In reply to #7

03/24/2010 12:55 AM

lol... silly wabbit.. Vinegar is for Macs; Baking Soda is for Windows.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

03/24/2010 11:43 AM

Hello Chris,

You see! It's a problem to disclose everyone's knowledge to some lost individuals. Maintain keyboards in vinegar for days and they claim refounds for the window. The world is complicated, isn't it?

Someone already told; "Follow all recommendation at the back of your bill" but you have to pay first! All the best from Gil.

In reply to #21

03/24/2010 2:42 PM

Hi Gil,

Well, for once I will have to disagree with you. I respect you, the fact that you are a knowledgeable and successful entrepreneur, and that what you are saying is the basis of that worldly money-based business culture. In short, competition and secrecy are bedfellows. War has also reinforced this lesson. "Loose lips sinks ships"

However, in the natural world of birds and bees, and in my personal experience; heaven, there is a different approach to knowledge transferrence between individuals. There are NO secrets in these enviroments, and there are no 'poor' either.. there are natural cycles, rise and fall in terms of extinctions, forest fires, ice ages, but these things affect every life form, and they deal with them based on the natural inherent capacity of their bodily characteristics to resist danger.

They survive more by the symbiosis with all of nature's plethora of life; flora and fauna, than by the rare competition. There is an abundance of evidence to this, regardless of Darwin's ideas of 'Survival of the fittest' with "Nature; red in tooth and claw." It is a balance really... every thing has a role, every thing has opportunity. and enemies to stimulate.

I think that DNA knows everything that has ever been experienced by your ancestral chain... all the way back, and the folding of the DNA proteins has the capacity to represent more data than all the atoms in the universe.. this is easily enough to represent how to build and maintain a human in perfect health... Ask yourself, how does the moth 'know' to disguise itself as a snake... How? there are no secrets in their common DNA and protein potentials.

What we lack is the belief and practical experience of consistently accessing this massive database, and when we do, we would not be able to distinguish it from a 'voice from God'. When you have had your best inspired ideas... what did that feel like? Where did it come from?

We have shorter lives than we should.. ever since Noah, we have only lived 120 years.. before that, we lived 900 or so. We've been cheated, literally. There is a clock in the DNA, and we need to find it again, and tweak it again. Granted there is a problem with 6 billion people having million year lifetimes like the ancient gods, (more competition) but we will then mulitply out into the solar system and beyond. create create create....

you are my brother and sister... we compete when we are babies... but ultimately, we need to recognize the equality of our DNA and spiritual sources beyond that, and recognize that we are equally unlimited, and there are no secrets.. just mental laziness and/or lack of experience in accessing the database... belief and surety that comes with practice.

sorry.. this is the short version...lol

Chris

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #28

03/24/2010 4:49 PM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the complements!!! Successful? I just enjoy it!

It's long but educative. Thanks. Only disagreement: I want to replace "equality of our DNA" with "similarity of our DNA". It's looks better and probably closer to reality. The world is lucky to not have a second copy of me! I laugh. Anyway, if you don't like my small deviation, forget my comment in totality. Wish you a good evening, Gil.

In reply to #7

03/24/2010 4:21 PM

What about cleaning a hard drive disk...oh wait, that's a different post!

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Associate
Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - Commodore Vic 20 Australia - Member - New Member

In reply to #7

03/30/2010 4:44 AM

Yes very funny but I have had one very nice young lady who though it would be good to clean her keyboard with her nail polish remover, it did an excellent job of cleaning .............cleaning off half the letters on the keys that is

Paper of a fairly course grain like newspaper would allow dirt to be pulled into it, the heavy print would provide a reinforcement of the paper, but I would image also have a scrubbing effect.

So a microfibre with a lightly sprayed on coating?

Guru

03/24/2010 1:11 AM

Auto finishes are notorious for having fine scratches and swirl marks on the surface that can be easily seen. There are glazes and other products, including corn starch especially on black finishes, that are applied. Their very fine particle size "fills" the scratches and produces an optically smoother surface which we refer to as polished. Likewise, the surface of glass has imperfections, porosity, scratches, etc. The ink from the newspaper fills those imperfections and makes the glass shinier.

In reply to #9

03/24/2010 1:20 AM

maybe it was cornstarch, not baking soda.. anyway.. GA.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

03/30/2010 9:07 AM

Hi Chris,

Watch yourself and don't promote "cornstarch". This product with an extremly high "glycemic index", around 110 to 115, concidered the most dangerous sweetener in pops, which produce overweight people with directly condusted to diabetes and following sicknesses. Baking soda is the best and used intensively by companies but don't it as "bicarbonate de sodium" because the chemical names are saw as danger. The springtime is nice and we have no earthquake in Toronto with broken windows that those alive can be cleaned with newspaper and some liquid with some chemicals as mentionned earlier, vinegar or baking soda. Good cleaning, Gil.

Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member United States - Member - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

Good Answers: 17
In reply to #9

03/24/2010 8:14 AM

Cool, will that work on my windshield? On very bright days, early morning and late evening, when the sun shines directly into my eyes, I can see every imperfection in my windsheld. Makes me want to buy a new car, .. anyway, do you think that will work on my windshield?

In reply to #13

03/24/2010 9:05 AM

Hey, Labyguy.

Yes, it will. Use a little car wax in addition... this will fill in the little chips.

In reply to #13

03/24/2010 11:59 AM

Hi Guy,

Look! You can try a homeless or squeegee man work on your widshield, and when everything is dry, you get some strakes containing concentrated dirt from "your" windshield.

Imagine. This people, being homeless and without cash, expend some money for the squeegee and the backet or steal everything by risking to go to jail. Why they don't use the free old newspapers? It ridiculous, just to think about it!

Wish you a good laugh, Gil.

In reply to #23

03/24/2010 12:33 PM

With the time available to "clean" a windshield at a stoplight being < 2 min., investing in or risking incarceration (food, bed, shelter) by stealing a squeegee, there-by eliminating the need to search for and dispose of newspaper, can be looked at as an effort to institute lean manufacturing on a small scale and allow the cleaning of more windshields per stoplight cycle. It's a Japanese thing. Trial and error. Trial and error.

In reply to #26

03/24/2010 4:57 PM

Hi Jag,

Sorry, I forgot Shigeo Shinge's one minute to change the squeegee and the controlled applecation of TQM for a single applicator.

Anyway, we have some compensation with all input we get on this subject. From serious recommendations to laughable suggestions we have everything. Let clean-up and start over again.

Wait for your best input to start, Gil.

In reply to #9

03/24/2010 10:55 AM

The real question, then, is will it work on scratched CD's/DVD's?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

03/24/2010 11:53 AM

A scratch on a cd interferes in two ways. If the sidewall of the scratch is relatively smooth, the laser will reflect off of it at some angle instead of passing straight through the polycarbonate layer to "read" the "bumps" of the "foil" sub-straight. If the sidewall is cloudy, in addition to some reflectance, the laser will diffuse. A scratch filler might render all scratches opaque relative to the laser but to the eye it would look shinier.

If you are going to try it on a cd surface, be careful of the material you use as an applicator. The polycarbonate layer may be softer than particles randomly oriented in the material. Even various brands of facial tissue may be suspect. I would think common newsprint would be like sandpaper.

In reply to #9

03/30/2010 8:57 AM

Hi Jag,

It's very scientific but we all appreciate. Do you work in a scrap-yard? Don't be shocked with my question but you can be millionair if you "re-shine" all scrapped cars, fridges, and other shiny equipment. Continue and let us know the end-result, Gil.

NB: It's unusual but a promising profession without university degrees!

United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 140

03/24/2010 3:04 AM

For me the paper is doing the work. relative to the glass it is soft and absorbing. Hard dust particles are picked up in the structure and it also acts like a very fine (microscopic) sand paper. (If you ever polished lenses- the newspaper is the end finish) It does what the kitchen towel just cannot do, because too soft. Newspapers have ink. No handicap, but definitely no feature, except for reading.

Good Answers: 6

03/24/2010 6:42 AM

People clean vehicles windshilds also. And has really good results than cloth.

I think that paper has more "Blotting" properties than anything else.

Try this trick if you like to clean with cloth:

1. Wipe thoroughly with a wet cleaning-cloth.

2. Blot with a pure-cotton [absobant type] as good as you can

3. wipe with a dry cloth [absobant type]

and feel the difference!

I think Newspaper [it is a special type of paper a quick absorbant] as required in printing press.

Register to Reply
Guru

03/24/2010 11:19 AM

Hi Mars,

When you heard something and it's interesting for you, please test it. When you achieve what it supposed to do, you will be surprised of the achievement.

Yes, newspaper is the best window cleaner on Earth! Everything else is more expensive and need to work harder with. Again, it's matter of choice, Gil.

NB: Why you want to know why it's working? Just do it!

In reply to #16

03/24/2010 11:36 AM

I know that newspaper works because I have tested it but I am trying to make something that works better than newspaper. I had heard that the ink from newspaper actually absorbs fingerprints and that that is why they can clean so well. It helps that the newspaper is soft and lint free but I want to see if the ink is the key to a really clean window.

With that being said I have been making mixtures of carbon ink and other substances and testing out their cleaning powers. The problem I run into is that when I mix carbon black with water it completely hardens. I think I may be using the wrong carbon black but I will keep trying. I will begin testing pre-made ink very soon and see how that works.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #19

03/24/2010 12:10 PM

If ink absorbs fingerprints and fingerprints are basically oil, then your formula should be oil soluble. That would also keep your formula from drying out completely but make the surface look smeary. The best window cleaners I've found add vinegar which dissolve many of the particles that attach themselves to the surface and reduce streaking.

In my case, my fingerprints absorb newspaper ink. And then I can print my fingerprints on anything I touch.

03/24/2010 1:03 PM

Sorry people it has nothing to do with soy ink, new technology in developing paper etc.

When I was a wee young lad back in the 1950's, our mother used vinegar in water and newspapers to wash the windows with. She told me then it was a trick she learned while living in England during the war. Vinegar was easy to get and non-expensive. Also used newspaper was readily available so people merged the two and voila - it worked!!

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 34 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (3); artsmith (1); charsley99 (1); chrisg288 (4); Doorman (3); dvmdsc (1); Geo_Guy (1); Gil Becker (9); Haajee (1); Hendrik (1); Jaguar (5); Labyguy (1); mars (1); OldTechNewToys (1); ozone88 (1)

Previous in Forum: What's This Honda CA160 Worth?   Next in Forum: Alternate Methods of Emergency Housing as it Relates to the Crisis in Haiti

Advertisement