Previous in Forum: Mozilla Firefox V3.x &Engineering Toolbar Compatibility   Next in Forum: Autogard 6600 controller
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 287

Looking for a Reminder/Alarm Which Prompts Me When I Turn Off PC

04/07/2010 1:15 PM

I'm looking for a program, which will put up a flash screen to remind me to do something when I turn off my PC at the end of the working day.

Just something really simple which I can set during the day and will say: remind me to take something home.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 409

Re: Looking for a reminder/alarm which prompts me when I turn off PC.

04/07/2010 1:34 PM

Enter them on your windows calenders, they have an assortment, daily, weekly or one time only reminders

In reply to #1

04/07/2010 1:51 PM

Trouble is I never know when I'm going to go home. I could set an alarm for the earliest possible time then keep putting it in snooze for the next two hours, but, if I set the snooze interval to a very short time it would drive me up the wall, and if I made it too long, I would probably forget again in the interval (especially when clicking the snooze button gets automatic).

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 661

04/07/2010 1:39 PM

If I need to remeber to take something home I usually write on the back of my hand, or leave something on my car seat as a reminder.
A postit saying 'take contents of safe home' on the steering wheel should do the trick.
Or
'Remeber to take home stash of ladies underwear'
Set the alarm on you mobile phone?
Won't the usual calendar/appointments progs do that sort of thing, surely there should be something in windows (spits on floor)...no probably not they'll probably charge for anything usefull
Del (baaaad cynical kitty)

In reply to #2

04/07/2010 1:52 PM

Admit it Mr. Cat.

Windows owns you.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #2

04/07/2010 2:05 PM

If I could be bothered to walk all the way to the car, I could just take the item. If the reminder was for something I had to do at my desk, I'd have to walk all the way back to my desk.

The back of the hand thing might work, but, I think I'd just get used to seeing it there and ignore it. Just imagine you're really stupid, and need someone to jump up and hit you with a cricket (USA baseball) bat as you try to leave your desk.

Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 36

Re: Looking for a Reminder/Alarm Which Prompts Me When I Turn Off PC

04/07/2010 2:05 PM

You could try desktop post-it notes. They are like post-its that are on your desktop so after you close out of all your windows, you can see the post-it with the things you have to do. There are plenty of free versions of post-it notes available. You may have to test a couple versions out before finding the one that has the right bells and whistles for you.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 4)
Guru

In reply to #6

04/07/2010 2:14 PM

Good idea, and good answer. I'll try some out. Thanks, Randall.

In reply to #6

04/07/2010 2:43 PM

Great: this is ATnotes seems to have lots of features, but, should do what I want just fine.

Thanks again.

Is this the fastest resolution of a problem on CR4?

07/19/2010 12:59 PM

The sticky notes program is great, and I use it for all sorts of things, I hadn't anticipated. Trouble is I now have little yellow signs all over my PC and one extra one, even down by the start menu doesn't jump out and hit me.

However I've started using another trick: I just tie an elastic band around my car key. This doesn't avoid the extra double walk (car to desk and back), but, it does ensure that I don't forget anything.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Del the cat (1); Jaxy (1); phoenix911 (1); Randall (5)

Previous in Forum: Mozilla Firefox V3.x &Engineering Toolbar Compatibility   Next in Forum: Autogard 6600 controller

Advertisement