Previous in Forum: Water Soluble Adhesive Needed   Next in Forum: relief valve sizing
Close
Close
Close
15 comments
Active Contributor

Printable CD/DVDs

06/20/2010 11:06 PM

I am seeking a spray-on/paint-on material that will enable printing on CD/DVDs. My printer is a Canon IP3000 Pixma ink jet.

There is a commecial product on sale but is very expensive.Printable discs are available and cheap enough, but I would like to do my own.

I have tried auto paints and undercoats as well as various other compounds that are readily available.The biggest problem is absorbtion and drying. If a product is absorbed it spreads making the image blurry.The image that does not spread does not dry, even after days of waiting.

I am a Western Australian living in Perth.

Regards, Brian.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

Re: Printable CD/DVDs

06/21/2010 12:29 AM

This is very common and there are many products on the market, some of which you have already mentioned (such as special label printers, printable stick-on labels, printable CD/DVDs, CD/DVD drives with built-in label marking (I think)).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inkjet_printable_DVD

http://www.supermediastore.com/article/u/what-is-thermal-inkjet-printing-how-to-print-dvd

etc.

Try a google search for "printable cd" or similar, or try your local computer and stationary store. What you should NOT try is directly painting plastic CD/DVDs with auto paint as it is not a good idea at all. Undercoat will not help either (oh, the mental imagery!)

For small quantity label runs I would STRONGLY suggest printable stick-on labels designed for CD/DVDs. These are inexpensive and readily available in sheet form for modern inkjet or laser printers at stationary stores, art supply stores and large computer stores.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #1

06/22/2010 10:08 AM

I have to disagree on the labels. They have been known to come off and wreck the CD/DVD Player/Burner completely.....

The idea that this Guy has is the best way to go......but a white paint is needed that will attach itself to the upper surface, but without damaging it....

It also has to be slightly "Matt" finish. to take on the Inkjet ink without allowing it to diffuse sideways......difficult!!

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

06/21/2010 12:31 AM

Just out of interest, what images are you trying to put on the surface of the CD/DVDs?

Good Answers: 33

06/21/2010 3:43 PM

You will need to test for compatibility with the existing coating on the CD. Solvents and catalysts in the stuff you are applying may have a negative effect on data integrity. Aging will have to be considered, also.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

06/21/2010 9:56 PM

Thanks to Jack and Pantaz.I will check out all suggestions.

The images would include pictures and/or text.

The coatings applied would not be on the data side of the disc. Thanks again.

Brian.

In reply to #4

06/21/2010 10:57 PM

"Coating will not be on the data side of the CD"

That depends on how you look at it. Try scratch a CD from the side where you read the CD. The only thing there is the Plastic of the CD. A scratch would probably have a little effect on reading but thats it. The data layer is on the other side of that plastic and exactly there where you want to spray the label on. If your paint disolves the coating there you have an detrimental effect on the data layer. Try make a scratch there and you will instantly loose data on the CD! Thats why CD's are stored with the label up in the cases. Convinently you can read the label this way as well as protect your data.

Good luck with your project.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Good Answers: 202

06/22/2010 12:26 AM

I solved a simliar problem for myself by buying an Epson R340 printer. Prints on the printable CD's and DVD's with very good quality, fast, convenient and uses comercially available ink that is the same cartidges that it also uses for paper and photos. Also includes a convenient software package that designs the labels (including scannable things) to include just about anything you want it to.

I decided on this for economic reasons. Anything I "painted" onto the disk was too thick for the drive. Also a problem with poorly applied adhesive labels. Secondly trying to find the right material to apply was getting expensive.

Good Answers: 18

06/22/2010 1:54 AM

I'm sure the OP have by now noticed that his post was not read properly. He wants a product FOR dvd's not the dvd's or a new printer.

In reply to #7

06/22/2010 3:01 AM

I am also looking for the same thing but have failed so far. I will keenly watch this space for a solution

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 91

06/22/2010 6:17 AM

I don't know any suitable coatings but have you considered LightScribe as an alternative? The lightscribe discs are now as cheap as many standard ones & the drives are similar prices to common ones. Many newish PCs have the drives fitted as standard.

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #9

06/22/2010 6:48 AM

Yes, I have a lightscribe drive, however the resultant picture is single colour, copy- like. I prefer a photo or good image.

United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 91
In reply to #10

06/22/2010 7:03 AM

I think LightScribe have plans for better images but I guess they will be expensive to start with. You can get various colours of discs but the burned image is still monochrome.

Good Answers: 30

06/22/2010 8:13 AM

In view of the many possibilities for ruining the disc and losing the data, I really wonder why you want to do this. It is a common misconception that the data on a CD is on one side and the label on the other, but in fact the data layer is deep inside the CD, separated from the label side only by a thin reflective layer and by a thin layer of acrylic, which is susceptible to solvents. Your data, your loss, your problem, but I would really recommend you print onto labels, or use printable discs.

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 2

06/22/2010 9:01 AM

Try Nazdar screenprinting ink 9700 or polyall. You can get simple screenprinting supplies at a local art store.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200

06/22/2010 10:12 AM

Firstly, I think you need to "paint" before you burn the CD/DVD.It also probably needs to be force dried at 50°C or a tick less.....

You may need to use a car bumper/fender plastic paint primer first to allow the final paint of your choice to stick properly.

I would use a Matt finish paint.

I am really interested to see how it goes......

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (2); Anonymous Poster (1); brianml (1); jack of all trades (2); jvr (1); jvrj (2); Nigh (2); old salt (1); pantaz (1); phph001 (1); tundra242 (1)

Previous in Forum: Water Soluble Adhesive Needed   Next in Forum: relief valve sizing

Advertisement