Previous in Forum: Engineering Humor Compilation   Next in Forum: Seed Density Chart
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 10

Climate Change: A Summary of the Science

09/30/2010 11:04 AM

"Climate change continues to be a subject of intense public and political debate. Because of the level of interest in the topic the Royal Society has produced a new guide to the science of climate change. The guide summarizes the current scientific evidence on climate change and its drivers, highlighting the areas where the science is well established, where there is still some debate, and where substantial uncertainties remain.

The document was prepared by a working group chaired by Professor John Pethica, Vice President of the Royal Society and was approved by the Royal Society Council." This is a direct quote from the link provided which has the free download of the summary document.

How long do you think it will take for all of the uncertain aspects of climate science to be fully studied and understood by the scientific community? How long will it take for the general public and members of this BB to accept the science?

This discussion was "closed" on 09/30/2010 4:31 PM. No new comments are allowed.
Message from admins:
Climate change has been discussed many times - there's no need for another thread on the topic.
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

Re: Climate change: A Summary of the Science

09/30/2010 12:23 PM

Not so fast, my friend. A lot of key people with a LOT of money are hedging their bets on that:

global-cooling-and-the-new-world-order

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194
In reply to #1

09/30/2010 12:50 PM

Hi Usbport,

Did you see this article? I thought it was very interesting, especially this excerpt:

"What's worse though is that when someone has firmly accepted something this way, it's nearly impossible to prove the truth to them. Think about a cult that says the world will end on a certain date. When the time comes and goes, the cult members don't realize they've been had and move on with their lives, they start rationalizing it, saying that they changed god's mind somehow. In many cases, being confronted with the truth will only make the mislead person believe his or her convictions even more strongly."

Mike

In reply to #2

09/30/2010 1:03 PM

That perspective goes both ways as seen with religions. Who is to say that the study in the article wasn't flawed by the family members not remembering the person being lost in the mall especially since they only studied 4 people. 4 people hardly meets any scientific criteria. I can't remember everything that has happened to my daughter. My own mother doesn't remember me being lost at King's Island theme park when I was 10.

This is an engineering and scientific forum. Let's stick to the peer reviewed studies.

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194
In reply to #4

09/30/2010 1:47 PM

That perspective goes both ways as seen with religions. Who is to say that the study in the article wasn't flawed by the family members not remembering the person being lost in the mall especially since they only studied 4 people.

Of course.

The only adjective I used about the article was "interesting".

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

In reply to #7

09/30/2010 3:22 PM

Yes, I saw that article and I agree it was very fascinating.

Goes along with the fact that 'eyewitness' testimony is the least reliable type of evidence in a trial. Also goes along with the old saying that people see what they want to see.

In reply to #1

09/30/2010 12:54 PM

IMO, conspiracy theorists don't debunk scientific studies. You need to look at this, and this. I have yet to see a scientific study conducted and peer reviewed that debunks climate change.

Now, before global warming was discovered (for lack of a better term atm), global cooling was a concern because we should have started our decent into the next ice age a few years ago. The graph showing the global pattern of ice ages is in this video.

In reply to #3

09/30/2010 3:38 PM

"I have yet to see a scientific study conducted and peer reviewed that debunks climate change."

Well that's exactly part of the problem found with the 'Climategate' discoveries -- that the peer review process had been deliberately distorted and contrary scientific studies were suppressed. But if you look closely enough via other sources, the alternate view can be found along with the scientific data that provide some evidence. Here's a sampling:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/03/30/nasa-data-worse-than-climategate-data/

http://climateaudit.org/

http://sonicfrog.net/?p=2849

http://reason.com/blog/2010/02/02/climategate-update-1-the-china

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/12/08/the-smoking-gun-at-darwin-zero/

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/climategate-noaa-and-nasa-complicit-in-data-manipulation/

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/04/polar-ice-review/

09/30/2010 1:11 PM

I see New Orleans and Hurricane Katrina as a good analogy to the climate change debate. The levee system withstood storm tides, Mississippi flood surges, and other potential disasters for years. Each time the residents of New Orleans wiped their brows, said, "Whew, we survived that." and went on with their business. In general they always assumed the system was adequate. There were those who knew different, but for one reason or another, the levee system was never properly upgraded and the public didn't seem to care or just never found out about it. It took Katrina to get everyone to realize that the levee system was not sufficient.

Unfortunately, it seems as if we're going to need a smoking gun, something we can directly connect to global warming, before full consensus will be acknowledged. The evidence is there. There are simply too many people willing to obfuscate the truth. To what end, I can't imagine.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918

09/30/2010 1:28 PM

"How long will it take for the general public and members of this BB to accept the science?"

Only as long as it takes to expunge the politics from the subject.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 9 comments
This discussion was "closed" on 09/30/2010 4:31 PM. No new comments are allowed.
Message from admins:
Climate change has been discussed many times - there's no need for another thread on the topic.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Hero (1); Anonymous Poster (1); Mikerho (2); Usbport (3); WWkayaker (2)

Previous in Forum: Engineering Humor Compilation   Next in Forum: Seed Density Chart

Advertisement