Previous in Forum: 600VA Invertor Consuming Lot of Current   Next in Forum: Circuit's Time Constant
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Anonymous Poster

Whether ELCB is Required or Not

11/06/2010 1:27 PM

i am having 24 lights of 125 w each and 8 motor operating valves of 2.5 w each .My DB which is connected to it which is 63Amps and 30 Amps ELCB.I need to know if this ELCB is removed will cause any problem for my main DB from which it is connected. i also need to know how elcb rating can be calculated for it.is there any formulae for it

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Anonymous Poster

Re: Whether ELCB is Required or Not

11/06/2010 2:10 PM

Valves or values ELCB-earth leakage circuit breaker setting -30milli amp its not calculated but copied. How can you be so careless when you ask something especially in an international platform. Dont mention your location,already had enough. Lets not stay down brother.

Anonymous Poster

11/06/2010 2:43 PM

why do you so worried about something that not your subject. Go to market and buy some vegetables,,,...thats suits for you.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 940

11/06/2010 3:29 PM

You aren't seriously asking us if it's safe to bypass a circuit breaker? Why in the name of any respect for personal safety would you bypass a safety device? I recommend that you jump off a high cliff with nobody else at the bottom or around you. This way you will be the only one who could die.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 783

11/06/2010 3:43 PM

I'm not sure this system is accurately described. If the voltage is 120, the (24) 125w lamps add up to 3000w, or 25a. Not impossible, but more than a typical lighting circuit. 2.5w seems pretty small for a valve motor, though again maybe possible.

If the wiring downstream of the 30a ELCB is say #8, the 63a CB won't protect it if the ELCB is removed.

United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 180

11/06/2010 5:33 PM

Removing the ELCB won't affect overload protection, BUT it would seriously compromise the safety of your system.

Why do you want to remove it? If it's tripping it will be for a reason, IE a fault on you system that you need to address.

It's your system, YOU are responsible for any injury or death if you remove a safety feature.

Good Answers: 5

11/08/2010 12:31 AM

What is the reason?.Is it tripping while in use?. Have you tested it?.What is the total leakage current of the connected load?.

In reply to #6

11/08/2010 2:21 AM

I want to change it....It is tripping while in use....I have tested it....leakage is 35 milli litre per hour

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 822
In reply to #7

11/08/2010 9:09 AM

<...leakage is 35 milli litre per hour...>

Disregarding the units for the moment:

• isolate the DB and check continuity between neutral and earth conductors in the individual circuits connected downstream of the board. Once a neutral-to-earth connection is found, chase down and eliminate the connection on that circuit, and then re-energise the board.

The ELCB is doing its job: taking action on a fault before someone gets killed. If the ELCB were to be removed, the protection that it provides to all the downstream circuits will be lost, increasing the risk to persons and of fire. So it is the fault that needs to be removed, not the ELCB, howsoever frustrating and time-consuming the associated effort might be!

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

11/08/2010 1:48 PM

Please check your local electrical standards and regulations (which you should be working to) for advise applicable to your country and application!

Everything you need (and which is applicable to your application) is located within them (including ELCB ratings for certain applications), the answers posted above are generic and may not be applicable to your country (which is unclear) and your application (which is possibly commercial or industrial rather than residential).

i also need to know how elcb rating can be calculated for it.is there any formulae for it

Look at the data sheets for the equipment connected to the ELCB, if there is more measured leakage current than there should be you may have a leaky light (this can also be found by measuring individual or sets of lights to track down a leaky one).

Also check your local electrical standard(s) carefully to see how many lights you are allowed to hang off a single ELCB as you may need to break the single circuit in to two.

If this is all to complicated (or you are not qualified to perform the prescribed electrical work) please consult an electrician.

11/09/2010 11:51 PM

Dear Guest,

" ELCB rating calculations"

The ELCB ratings ( Sensitivity) are decided after many researches taking inputs

from medical ( Cardios) and Electrical Design Engrs. Normally they are 30mA for

human protection , 100mA for Industrial and 300 mA for some equipments like

Schindler lifts ( for motor & circuit protection). Some dealers sell ELCBs with

continously variable settings upto 300 mA ( This I came across some 15 years

back in Chennai). Personally I prefer not to use them since one will be tempted

not to solve the real problem.

After all ELCB will protect you from Elec.Shocks.

Electricity is the most obedient servant but a very bad master!

Manroop.Chennai.

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Reply to Forum Thread 10 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (3); jack of all trades (1); manroop (1); pnaban (1); PWSlack (1); redfred (1); TonyS (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: 600VA Invertor Consuming Lot of Current   Next in Forum: Circuit's Time Constant

Advertisement