Close
Close
Close
21 comments
Participant

The Unknowable

11/26/2010 2:03 PM

There are things that are unknowable!!!

Let us take the Big Bang Theory. First of all the metaphore "Bang" is absurd. A bang is a sound. A sound can only be transmitted by a medium and there was no medium! Furthermore, a sound can only be experienced by animals with ears, so, even if there had been a medium, no one would have heard it!

But it becomes even more absurd! Because before the so-called big bang, There wasn't even empty space. So where did the energy from the explosion come from? It had to come from somewhere. Therefore, it could NOT have been the begining of the universe!

Furthermore, the universe is either finite or infinite. If it is finite, what is beyond?

The two unanswerable questions are:

Is the universe infinite? If not, what is beyond?

Did the universe ALWAYS exist, or if not what was there before?

These are questions that can not be answered by science or religion!!!

Martin W. Abel

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: cosmology
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Re: The Unknowable

11/26/2010 2:33 PM

Big Bang is a metaphor. As far as I know, my universe has always existed. The amount of knowledge mankind possesses is increasing exponentially every day or so.

I have discovered one other unanswerable question after reading your ramblings. What is your point?

And remember, after you are dead, will it really matter?

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #1

11/27/2010 11:38 AM

And remember, after you are dead, will it really matter?

If you say that ,you actually fooling your self, after death issue should be the fist concern in your life,our life on the earth is temporally and short, but what is after body death is eternal and permanent-walk up man.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Power-User

Good Answers: 6

11/26/2010 7:08 PM

When Edwin Hubble discovered the universal red-shift and the implicit notion that the universe is expanding, Georges Lemaitre, a Belgian mathematics professor, undertook to answer the question "expanding from what."

Projecting back in time, Lemaitre came up with the notion of a "primordial atom."

Many thought this was nonsense - including the British astrophycisist Fred Hoyle - who, seeking to make fun of Lemaitre's hypothesis, coined the term "Big Bang"

So you are correct; the term is absurd - but deliberately so.

However, the name stuck.

The questions that you raise are under the consideration of well-qualified people whose day job is considering these matters. Everyone of them would love to disqualify Lemaitre's hypothesis. It's still standing since the mid- 1930's.

If your hypothesis that "there are things that are unknowable" were accepted, science would come to a halt.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 143

11/27/2010 8:28 AM

There are indeed many unknowable things.

1) Where do all those socks in the wash go and why only one?

2) Why do I park on my driveway and drive on the parkway?

3) Where does all the money "go" when the Dow drops a 1000 points?

4) Why don't cats drop humans to see if they land on their feet?

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

11/27/2010 8:37 AM

You need enlightenment. I recommend you read the book linked below. Not only does he address your thoughts and questions, he addresses some amazing things you'd probably never think about. Professor Raymo is an astronomer and a philosopher.

Chet Raymo: Skeptics and True Believers

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 57

11/27/2010 2:37 PM

There are lots of books that cover this subject. In some the 'big bang' is referred to as 'the fall' or such. A previous universe collapsed by gravity into one point, 'the fall' and then exited from that point in 'the big bang'.

All except for Schroedinger's cat, who wasn't watching at the moment it happened.

Try reading Carlos Castenada, he'll really wind up your clock.

In reply to #6

11/27/2010 3:17 PM

Actually all those theories are fake based on persons imagination, i advice you keep your self away from their superstition and hogwash.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 57
In reply to #7

11/27/2010 6:23 PM

Since the center of the Universe has not been found, the Big Bang is imagined. There is no proof all the Universe is expanding from one point, so it's a guess.

Einstein imagined his theories, and then sought the math to prove them.

Artists imagine their works, then proceed to produce them.

Inventors imagine their products, then create them. The ideas come out of thin air.

Shall I mention religion?

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Australia - Member - Torn and breading Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 74
In reply to #10

11/27/2010 6:32 PM

Shall I mention religion?

Yes please, I have not had a Cardinal for breakfast yet.

Well put Mike, GA from me, Ky.

In reply to #11

11/28/2010 12:30 PM

In the last days many will deviate from the believe, and that exactly what is happening these days.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 411
In reply to #13

11/28/2010 7:29 PM

that started in the begining

In reply to #10

11/28/2010 12:55 PM

I didn't want to be the first to break the bad news, but they've found the center of the universe. It's the second tap from the left at Slippery Art's Saloon in Dodge, North Dakota.

In reply to #14

11/28/2010 1:02 PM

That is your centre of the universe, i encourage to move to there and live in centre.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

11/28/2010 1:28 PM

It's sufficient to simply face Art's three times a day, bow deeply from the waist, and chant the mantra, "Buddd Lightttt".

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #16

11/28/2010 2:12 PM

Please chant the mantra loudly from your centre of universe so i can hear you from the other side clearly. have a good luck.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 282
In reply to #14

12/03/2010 3:03 PM

There is a theory which states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

TVP45, I see you were at Slippery Art's while I was there, as evidenced by my red buggy. My usual mantra is "Buuuud Heaaaavvveee".

In reply to #20

12/04/2010 8:36 AM

"There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

LMAO!

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Australia - Member - Torn and breading Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Re: The knowable Un

11/27/2010 4:31 PM

"Un" is what you are trying to get your brains around. Like standing in the shade and wondering who or what is creating it. Although it is knowable it is a boring exercise to even contemplate. Pressure/vacuum/heat/cold second isle on your left would be the advice of a super store attendant.

Your post is full of (deliberate?) paradoxes and untruths. Most of the questions you are presenting are answered by your self. Because you are standing in the shade you don't have enough light to be able to see. If you were standing in the light you would have difficulty seeing into the dark.

As a 8 year old I used a mirror to shine light into spaces I could not see. This convinced me that not seeing something does not mean it is not there. 50 years later I am doing the same experiments but with a clear aim in mind. Some people think it shines out of their back side and I have contemplated but.........

To call this child like behavior enlightenment is just what it is. Curiosity (thanks Chrisg288 What is Curiosity?) has no bounds. Good thing really. If any of your questions could be answered every thing would stop. Complete darkness, a lack of will to appreciate light would be the result.

I was reading the Can Medicinal Marijuana Be Used in the Workplace? and wasn't even tempted to comment. Same thing. Most know about what is true and what not but belief systems throw a shadow on matters and not enough light can be generated to make it visible to all. Maybe you should try and sit back and study the situation a bit longer and the a day.

Imagination has no boundaries and in the end you will be as knowledgeable as the person next to you. If you have no one to share it with (the Knowledge of it all) then join the club. Membership is free and for life. Even if you wanted to, once you have that virus you will have it for life.

Incurable and the engine of humanity. If its not broke don't try and fix it. It's the journey not the big bang or the start of "it". You didn't really want an answer, I know, you just wanted to see if anyone could follow your intricate thoughts.

Childish! That is not a bad thing, just a bit boring, Ky.

11/27/2010 4:52 PM

BTW. Welcome to CR4

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Engineering Fields - Acoustical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 1

11/28/2010 8:32 AM

You need to read my (CRAZY ) post permittivity of space, i can debate this subject all day or even all week if you can't find anyone to take you seriously, as i made these findings myself away from the scientific community and i (may) be of some help.

I have been banned from a certain snotty P forum for broaching this subject, being classed as crackpot, i was quite proud of that fact, so we may have something in common.

11/29/2010 4:53 PM

The centre of the universe is in Rickmansworth.

And the answer to life the universe and everything is 42.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 21 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

AfricanGiraffe (1); Anonymous Poster (3); Baffled (1); Doorman (1); Dub (1); Gizma (1); ky (3); lyn (1); Mekhemer (1); mike k (2); phoenix911 (1); TVP45 (4); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Question   Next in Forum: An Infinity of Infinities

Advertisement