Previous in Forum: Inertia   Next in Forum: Why Are There No Jacking Oil Pumps in Some Turbines in Some Powerplants?
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Associate

Wind Watering System

01/01/2011 11:58 PM

Presently I am a undergraduate of engineering. So in my final year project, I have to design and implement wind water pumping systems. I have only basics knowledge about the wind energy systems.

I decide to design a vertical Axis wind turbine. but I don't know how to define the profile and which data I need to measure and so on? In next week end we hope to visit the site.

I only aware about measuring wind velocity by using anemometer. But In our lab that equipment is not available. so I am out of option.

I download software called FLUENT but it is not working.If there are references to learn about these things it will so grateful to me.

I am searching for helpful hands...help me to get rid of them.

With regards,

asitha

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 97

Re: Wind watering system

01/02/2011 1:10 AM

This is older technology. www.southx.co.za/windmill.htm may help.

Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 97
In reply to #1

01/02/2011 2:37 AM

We did investigate and produced working prototypes back in about 1965. I don't have any detail available now .

Please post more detail , maybe my recall memory can be useful,

In reply to #2

01/02/2011 6:42 AM

Thanks for replying instentaniously. It would help me to understand my task and confine my boundryies.

But I have to collect more litteracy to the subject. I need some thing help to understand blade profile selecting to the vertical axis turbine according to the physical data. and how can I measure the physical data such as wind speed wind patterns... etc.

I hope ur helpful hands give me much clearence to my project.

with regards,

Asitha

Canada - Member - Proud to be Canadian

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #4

01/03/2011 9:33 AM

Pumping water from a well has been around for a long time http://aermotorwindmill.com/Index.asp and there are reasons why vertical axis windmills are not used so what are you trying to do? You said you are designing a water pumping system. Are you just pumping water out of a well, (deep or shallow) or are you designing a system to supply water to a number of houses or a farm for irrigation? If you are designing a water system then you do not have to re invent the windmill but choose the best components that are available off the shelf for your system.

To have a continuous water supply with water preasure you need an elivated water tank with sufficient capacity for when the wind is not blowing and a back up system like a solar powered pump for when the wind does not blow for a number of days.

If you are trying to design something that is cheap that could be built by anyone in a rural area then that is something completely diffrent. Here is an example of what can be done with old bicycles.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ted-Baer-s-Bicycle-Wheel-Windmill/

Register to Reply
Commentator
Canada - Member - Proud to be Canadian

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #7

01/03/2011 1:01 PM

You should do a search on this form for previous threads before posting. Here is one on verticle axis windmills.

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/46210#comment488474

Stan.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 129

01/02/2011 3:44 AM

The brochure on this site might be useful

Vertical axis always looks good, but starting, control and manufacturing are quite difficult.

In reply to #3

01/02/2011 7:02 AM

Thanks for your contribution.

Anyhow u gave site is not working. Its ok. some time problem in my pC.

anyway appreciated..

With regards

asitha

Good Answers: 1

Re: Wind Watering System

01/03/2011 12:38 AM

Replying to Forum Thread by asitha1987: Presently I am a undergraduate of engineering. So in my final year project, I have to design and implement wind water pumping systems. I have only basics knowledge about the wind energy systems. I decide to design a vertical Axis wind turbine. but I don't know how to define the profile and which data I need to measure and so on? - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Dear Asitha, several points, Firstly, the balancing of a wind generator with a water pump is only easy when the situation is small, - less than say 5 metre diameter wind wheel when it is direct, ie, to a piston pump, and there are already existing systems available, you don't need to re-invent the wheel there, - Yellowtail is one, http://www.wdmoore.com.au/Windmills/Yellowtail/tabid/66/Default.aspx "Comet", another (I believe they still use the original Mulga wood bearings, - hard as..) Probably there are several American companies also. If you want bigger than those tried and true devices, you are venturing into wind to electricity to pump country, - not easy, and probably not a good area to go with vertical axis machines unless you are very confident of the reliability of the design, - vertical axis machines, whilst showing promise, have been built in their thousands, very few still remain, - technical problems, Horizontal axis machines have been built in their millions, most remain or have simply been cheap and then worn out. Either way, you will probably be looking at AC to DC on the wind side, and a DC pump, as DC motors will run according to voltage so as your wind turbine speeds up the voltage rises so you can run the pump faster, but you will find the challenge is in controlling the output of the wind turbine, - ie probably controlling the generator field, exactly so you neither stall the turbine nor overspeed it losing your voltage match according to load, - quite a subtle process. Of course you could put batteries in the middle and go AC DC then DC AC, but again you are venturing into new territory where unless you have the skills or the already developed products you may find you have over-extended your self. What size pumps have you in mind? Cheers, Geoff Thomas.

Re: Wind Watering System

01/03/2011 12:14 PM

Spam: This post was deleted because it contained advertising outside the Commercial Space forum. Please review Section 14 of the CR4 Site FAQ about advertising.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Register to Reply 9 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

34point5 (1); asitha1987 (2); Hendrik (2); Lookfar (1); madhavchowdhary (1); Stan The Man (2)

Previous in Forum: Inertia   Next in Forum: Why Are There No Jacking Oil Pumps in Some Turbines in Some Powerplants?

Advertisement