Previous in Forum: Evaporation in a Closed Object   Next in Forum: Play in a Hinge
Close
Close
Close
56 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 13

Why Does Good Chocolate Cost So Much?

02/01/2011 10:32 PM

We got hooked on good chocolate after a trip to Brugges, Belgium, where we discovered the Chocolate Line store. Yum! Alas, they don't ship to the U.S.

Since then, we've tried Leonidas and other high-quality chocolate suppliers, and we're staggered by the prices. Why does good chocolate cost so dang much?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918

Re: Why does good chocolate cost so much?

02/01/2011 10:39 PM

1. Because people buy it and are willing to pay those premium prices.

2. Cocoa is not cheap and will be getting more expensive as demand increases.

We always buy good dark chocolates. My feeling is I would rather have a little good chocolate than copious amounts of mediocre chocolate.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #1

02/01/2011 10:51 PM

Thanks for the nearly instantaneous response. However, that doesn't explain why it is so dang expensive. Gotta be more to it than that.

I'd also like to know what you think is a good chocolate. The Chocolate Line in Brugges spoiled us, and nothing has come close since. I even asked a buddy, who was going to the Belgian GP, to stop off in Brugges and pick us up a box. Yum...

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

In reply to #3

02/02/2011 7:36 AM

Gosh, I am sure the local stuff we get is not that good. Actually, it is imported from Belgium, but that doesn't mean it is the best that they make.

Another source can be from local chocolatiers. There are a few that really know their trade and make some very good stuff.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

02/02/2011 8:07 AM

I did find a local chocolatier and, as you say, it is quite good. Just bloody expensive. Not everything imported from Belgium is so good. Godiva chocolates, for example: When in Brussels, there was a Leonidas chocolate store across the street from a Godiva store--the Leonidas store was jammed, while the Godiva store was empty. Shows what the locals think of Godiva. Leonidas does export to the U.S., so we've been buying chocolate from their web site.

Belgium - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 21
In reply to #3

02/03/2011 8:17 AM

Probably it has something to do with the hugh taxes in my country.

I think Belgium has the fourth highest taxes of Europe.....

Gasoline is also expensive here 1 US gallon costs +/- 6.93 USD

(1 liter = 1.33 EUR)

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

02/01/2011 10:48 PM

If this is true, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

Cocoa blight causes chocolate chaos - Daily Finance UK

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

02/01/2011 10:54 PM

Yikes! Gettin' like truffles!

Good Answers: 63
In reply to #2

02/04/2011 6:10 PM

Hmm interesting cocoa, a indigenous Central American plant is grown mostly in African, and Bananas, an indigenous Asian fruit, are grown in South America. I wonder what they moved from Africa to Asia. No wonder they are having blights.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Time to take control United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 87

Re: Why Does Good Chocolate Cost So Much?

02/02/2011 7:50 AM

In the late 1990's I made a number of trips to Brussels for work. I, too, quickly appreciated the fantastic chocolate. On one of my trips we took a day excursion up to Brugges. I have quite fond memories of those years.

Regarding the expense of good chocolate: According to this source (wisegeek) , "What makes Belgian chocolate unique is the quality of ingredients and an almost fanatical adherence to Old World manufacturing techniques. Even in today's world of automation and mass production, most Belgian chocolate is still made by hand in small shops using original equipment."

So if it's handmade, I imagine the labor costs would be a significant percentage of the cost. Furthermore, I don't think labor in Belgium is cheap inexpensive.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 818

02/02/2011 7:54 AM

Because if it was cheap then people wouldn't want to buy it.

• According to rumour, Jaguar Cars had a similar problem with sales in Japan. The product just wan't selling. The reason was the perceived value of the product; it wasn't seen as a premium brand. The solution to the particular challenge of increasing sales, was to increase the prices on this occasion, so as to cash-in on the snob value that the high price attracted.

"There is always something in the world that some man can make a little worse, and sell a little cheaper. Those who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." - with apologies to John Ruskin.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 410

02/02/2011 9:34 AM

strife in chocolate producing country's, I believe the ivory coast is one of them.

Location: Large hole formally occupied by furry woodland creature.
Good Answers: 97

02/02/2011 6:00 PM

Because it can be used to bribe fat people?

Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Time to take control United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #10

02/02/2011 6:50 PM

Correction...it can be used to bribe fat people. My wife gets me to do a lot by offering chocolate....or withholding ...nevermind.

02/02/2011 10:37 PM

I agree with Phoenix911. Read the news about the political unrest in Ivory Coast. Exports of Cocoa have dropped dramatically and thus less availability of raw product.

02/02/2011 10:41 PM

You usually pay a premium for quality products. Chocolates also make very nice gifts. We have two local chocolate shops (a suburb of Sydney, Australia) who make chocolates by hand and win many awards. They charge $83.50 per kilo. They also come in creative shapes. My wife loves the liquors. I thought they were expensive, but a similar shop in my home town charges $120 per kilo and another in Brisbane charges $150 per kilo. We buy the local chocolates for special occasions like birthdays, Christmas and Easter. They also sell to local restaurants, where you expect to pay more. For every day chocolates we buy Cadbury's or Nestle's which may have 250g blocks for about $4 - and they are very tasty too!

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 90
In reply to #13

02/03/2011 4:37 AM

You would like this shop. They hand make chocolate creations. They also have a cafe where you can drink dark, milk or white chocolate whilst eating their range of chocolate cakes.

India - Member - New Member

02/03/2011 12:30 AM

Hi!

Are you hooked to 'Brugges' chocolate because it is good or good and cost less, both? Why do you rate the local chocolate poor, because it is not good or not good and cost more?

The chocolate taste is a subjective issue. What you may not prefer, others may still like it. However, value of money is the same for everybody.

So, what actually bothers you is the price of local chocolate. If majority of the chocolate eating population finds the price not worth the chocolate, the basic principles of economics will take their own course, and you may not have to lament the price.

Mahess

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

02/03/2011 1:54 AM

I'm hooked on Brugges chocolate because it is the best I ever had. Cost has nothing to do with it. Our local chocolate is very good, but not as good as Brugges. If the Chocolate Line shop in Brugges exported to the U.S., I'd buy all my chocolate from them.

My question was, why is all good chocolate so expensive?

Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 22
In reply to #15

02/09/2011 6:59 AM

Chocolate is made from Cacao, which is farmed very labour intensively and usually in extremely difficult mountainous terrain - it's very difficult to get good cacao beans to market. Then the quality of the beans varies enormously - just as any other agricultural product.

Cacao is expensive. Milk, fat and sugar are cheap. So cheap chocolate is usually about 12% to 25% cacao and the rest milk, fat and sugar. It is also made with the lowest quality cacao which is bought cheaply in large quantities.

Good quality chocolate has a cacao content of 50% or up to 90% if you're a real (connoisseur). It is made to taste of cacao, not of milk, fat and sugar. Therefore the best quality cacao is used, which is expensive (and only available in small quantities).

Lastly, the production method is very labour intensive and slow. Cheap chocolate is run through the process quickly without much thought to the roasting, refining and cooking processes. Good chocolate is run through in small batches with lots of checking and testing. It is made into chocolate when the chocolatier believes it has been processed to perfection.

So you pay more for all the above reasons, and also because once you have eaten good chocolate, you realise that cheap chocolate tastes like sugar mixed with something that came out of a cow (and not at milking time).

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 45

02/03/2011 1:58 AM

It is more profitable to grow other crops. As coco farms need to be replanted periodically, they are opting for higher value crops. It's just economics.

Good Answers: 32

02/03/2011 5:10 AM

Was told this by a chocolate maker out of Italy... As with coffee, the quality of beans is important, but to make a better chocolate the degree of fineness to which the beans are ultimately ground is of prime importance. After initial grinding a paste is made which is then churned continuously letting the bean particles rub against themselves to further reduce their size to obtain an ever increasing smoothness in texture. The longer this process, the smoother the chocolate.

02/03/2011 7:23 AM

You don't need to go so far for great chocolate I lived in Walpole NH. Theres a place called Burdick that simple the best. I think the cost is so high because the girls there are so beautiful. http://www.burdickchocolate.com/default.asp

In reply to #19

02/03/2011 7:50 AM

$60 a pound for an assortment is not too bad. Maybe I'll give them a try for Valentine's day. Thanks.

02/03/2011 7:52 AM

I'll buy anything except Hershey's, since they moved to Mexico.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #21

02/03/2011 3:00 PM

Hershey's didn't move to Mexico; they *expanded* to Mexico. The Mexican plant mostly ships to overseas markets. Hershey chocolate sold in the U.S. is still made in the U.S. -- just read the package.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #32

02/04/2011 10:24 AM

Went to Hershey this past summer and bought some suvenier chocolates. Nursed them home to discover tin made in China, Chocolates in Mexico and assembled here in the US.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #41

02/04/2011 11:58 AM

That's wild! All the Hershey stuff in my supermarket is made in PA -- but the factory itself sells souvenirs from the Mexico plant?? Bad PR move on their part, I'd say!

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

02/03/2011 8:36 AM

The fermenting proccess and aging conditions and controls area dramtic cost additions. The stock beans are gown under strict condition and genetic control. The very best is noticably better in flavor and texture. The pricing is like the pricing of good cigars.

As for a godd quality for your money, go with Dove or Premium Hershey. My wife claims one labeled "Ice Cubes", is also superior.

Register to Reply
Power-User

02/03/2011 9:15 AM

just make your own, buy some coco beans, oil, sugar, cream and wolla Chocolate.

Good Answers: 46

02/03/2011 10:24 AM

Quality Product = Quality Ingredients + Quality Process

Increasing Quality usually incurs Increasing Costs

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

02/03/2011 11:05 AM

Are you talking about chocolate in it's purest form i.e. just a plain bar nothing added? Then this isn't normally that expensive.

Or are talking about chocolate that has been tarted up with all different types of filling and topping? If you are then your paying for the chocolatiers art and skill.

It's just the same with clothes, hair cuts etc. You go to your average Joes barber shop and you won't pay that much. But if you go to the so called designer saloon, frequented by the so called famous and, you pay through the nose.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #26

02/03/2011 12:12 PM

A plain bar of just chocolate (100% cocoa) is very expensive!

It is very very good and works wonders for cooking with but to eat i normally just go with Cadburys. Much more sugar and flavourings but it tastes fine!

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 5

02/03/2011 11:27 AM

It is because really Good Chocolate comes from Heaven, and for some, that is a long way off. Others just can't get it.

Register to Reply
Guru

02/03/2011 12:08 PM

Because it is a luxury item and the market is willing to pay more for a perception of value, and good marketing efforts can increase that perceived value. Dang, just notice how for you just the use of key phrases like high quality generates a perceived increase in value. If it is from Europe, some people will perceive a higher value on that basis alone. True many times these valuations are not justified as they are not precise, accurate, quantifiable measures of quality, but peoples perception are fickle and often more emotionally based then factual.

Register to Reply
Guru

Location: Large hole formally occupied by furry woodland creature.
Good Answers: 97

02/03/2011 12:24 PM

Relax..... everybody back in the pool, it was just a really good chocolate bar!

02/03/2011 1:14 PM

It is not the good chocolate that is so expensive, it is the bad chocolate that is so cheap because it is full of sugar and contain little of real cocoa.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User

02/03/2011 3:06 PM

Not only does Belgium make amazing chocolates, it is also a VERY civilized place. In Belgium, when you order a cup of coffee or tea, it arrives with two or three chocolates! I'm told they also make excellent beer, but I was too busy eating chocolates to try any beer at all...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #33

02/03/2011 3:11 PM

And their waffles aren't bad either.

In reply to #34

02/03/2011 3:48 PM

Belgium is one of those places that nobody goes to, because they are so busy going to London, Paris or Rome. We found Brussels to be fascinating and Brugges to be a wonder in both chocolate and ambience (Venice of the north! The movie, En Brugges, shows some of the most interesting places in Brugges amidst all the bloodshed).

To chocolate and waffles, I'd add Belgian mussels as being the best food of its kind in the world. A serving of mussels is an entire kilogram, served in a bucket! Yum! For a country to have three of the best food types in the entire world is pretty good.

Belgium also claims to have the best frites, but I prefer those from France--although Belgian frites are certainly excellent, especially those served in sidewalk kiosks.

Belgium is worth a visit.

In reply to #35

02/03/2011 3:59 PM

Oh, we didn't try the mussels!! Next time. :)

We spent a week in the old university town of Leuven; stayed in a 600 year old hotel, didn't need a car, and thoroughly enjoyed the ambiance, history, people, and food -- not necessarily in that order!

Register to Reply
Power-User

02/03/2011 5:16 PM

Here's an answer as to why European chocolate is so expensive.

It's the time taken to make it. US and UK manufacturers [Hershey and Cadbury] only conch their chocolate for about 24 hours. Many European manufacturers conch for 72 hours - or three times as long !

The other major difference is the percentage of cocoa butter which is put in the mix. The greater percentage, the more expensive the end product..but oh what a taste! A lot less milk and fillers.

Have you tried other European brands like Ferrero Rocher, or Lindt or even Guylain? These are on supermarket shelves here in Australia. Even Nestle are putting out good dark chocolate - it's better for you, but they cheat having bought out other brands.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #37

02/03/2011 5:25 PM

What about Ghiradelli?

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #38

02/03/2011 5:34 PM

Haven't eaten that brand, despite having lived in 'Sacto' for five years in the late 70's.

Register to Reply
Guru

02/04/2011 4:22 AM

Try the full range, see what you like.

Good Answers: 3

02/06/2011 2:18 PM

accually, herseys chocolate as been rated as one of the best in the world. milk or dark. * who would have thunk.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #44

02/06/2011 5:29 PM

"Hershey's chocolate as been rated as one of the best in the world. milk or dark". The brand is expanding outside of the US, so who were the voters?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #45

02/06/2011 7:00 PM

It had to be a survey paid for by Hershey in the U.S. (1) As we all know in the marketing business, you always win your own surveys and (2) U.S. chocolate consumers have rarely been exposed to Belgian chocolates. So, I suspect that Hershey ran a blind taste test using the best Hershey chocolates against examples of the worst choclates they could find at Wal-Mart (all made in China, no matter the brand name).

In reply to #46

02/07/2011 12:54 PM

I can't believe "Hersheys" is being mentioned in a discussion about 'good chocolate'!!! Give me soap to eat....

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #47

02/08/2011 4:06 AM

The only Hershey's I can get in the UK is in Reece's Peanut Cups. The wrapper says it's Hershey's & made in America, do you know if that is typical of Hershey's chocolate?

In reply to #48

02/08/2011 3:52 PM

Are you asking whether Reese's is typical, or whether "Made in the USA" is typical?

Reese's peanut butter cups are very popular, but most folks don't think of it as Hershey's. The most "typical" Hershey's would probably be the milk chocolate bar with almonds.

According to what I can discover, 90% of Hershey's chocolate is still made in the USA. There are no longer any Canadian plants, but there is a plant in Mexico focused on "low value-added products and emerging markets" (according to Snopes).

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #50

02/08/2011 4:06 PM

Hmm, I usually think of almond joys or pay days when i think of hersheys. Oh or Hershey's Nuggets Extra Creamy Milk Chocolate with Toffee and Almonds (those are addicting).

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #50

02/09/2011 7:08 AM

I just wondered if the chocolate used in the peanut cups is typical of Hershey's. It tastes OK although, of course, the overwhelming taste is peanut.

In reply to #53

02/09/2011 10:25 AM

No, but my samples were taken a long time ago.

There are two basic types of chocolate Hershey produces (besides white, milk , and dark); one is the standard consumer grade stuff that is sold in mass. The other is a select version that is supposed to be of higher quality.

Most consumer grade chocolates (regardless of manufacture) are not going to be something that a connoisseur would rate very highly. They are made economically and made for mass manufacturing and consumption. They tend to be very sweet (too sweet for my taste).

I usually stay away from these now days and try to pick out better quality dark chocolates where possible. Like beer, I really don't consume a lot of it, so, like beer, I make it the best example I can find at the time.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #54

02/09/2011 11:12 AM

I'm with you on the beer, quality rather than quantity. My chocolate tastes varies, dark Bournville is good but I also like white chocolate. Luckily we have a good range in the shops from the UK, Belgium & Switzerland, anything up to about 80% cocoa.

Good Answers: 45
In reply to #47

02/08/2011 4:46 AM

really, Hershey's is crap

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

02/21/2011 1:15 AM

Because people name it chocolate..try name it bean..it will cheap

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy K (1); Anonymous Hero (3); Anonymous Poster (6); AstroNut (5); durtieduck (1); guds777 (1); JBTardis (3); kendall (1); loadshare (1); lyn (1); Mahess Desai (1); meccano (1); Nigh (5); nswnotill (1); Phil D. (3); phoenix911 (1); PWSlack (1); rcapper (2); RCE (4); RobertOz (1); rudy.leurs (1); RufusVS (1); Slow Old Poop (7); tommm (1); Topper (1); Unredundant (2)

Previous in Forum: Evaporation in a Closed Object   Next in Forum: Play in a Hinge

Advertisement