Previous in Forum: Standard or Code   Next in Forum: 450Ton Carrier Centrifugal Chiller
Close
Close
Close
5 comments

Water Heating

02/11/2011 10:12 AM

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help with an equation.

I will have a know quantity in a water tank that I will be heating via a electrical element.

Can anybody give me an equation for creating a graph of energy input against time to heat to specified temperature. Also what inputs do I need for the equation.

I had 2 No. equations I found Q=mCpDT and Q=mCpdT/dt

I understand that DT in the first equation is the difference in temperature i.e from 10 degrees C to 50 degrees C DT would be 40. but what about dT/dt in the second equation. This I assume is for the change in heat transfer as the water heats (DT would be getting smaller).

Q= Energy Watts

m=

Cp=

Any help appreciated.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

Re: Water Heating

02/11/2011 10:28 AM

The first equation should read

E=mCpΔT

where E is the energy needed to achieve a temperature difference of ΔT. This equation is the one needed to drive the graph, and will work up to a point close to the boiling temperature provided the vessel is well-insulated and any vapour well-contained.

Cp, or rather Cp, is the thermal capacity. It varies in the third significant digit for water between 0 and 100degC, and vor highest accuracy it is best to refer to published Steam Tables.

Power is measured in Watts (among other units). Power is a rate of delivery

of energy.

In reply to #1

02/11/2011 10:33 AM

Thanks. The vessel is well insulated and so I cant neglect heat transfer to the surroundings. So E I'm looking for Delta T I have. mCp is ?

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819
In reply to #2

02/11/2011 11:07 AM

The mass of whatever is being heated multiplied by its thermal capacity, as stated above.

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 64

02/12/2011 11:36 AM

Dear 21j

The dT/dt refers to the RATE OF INCREASE OF TEMPERATURE of THE HEATED MEDIUM for the given INPUT ENERGY.

DHAYANANDHAN.S, INDIA

Register to Reply

In reply to #4

02/14/2011 4:55 AM

Hi Dhayanandhan,

Thanks for the reply. What inputs do I use for dT and dt?

Thanks

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 5 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

21j (2); dhayanandhan (1); PWSlack (2)

Previous in Forum: Standard or Code   Next in Forum: 450Ton Carrier Centrifugal Chiller

Advertisement