Previous in Forum: Senses Challenge   Next in Forum: Nickel Vapor Deposition (NVD)
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
The Architect
Engineering Fields - Software Engineering - S/W Architect Popular Science - Evolution - Fascinating! Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - A fine computer United States - US - Statue of Liberty - NY

Good Answers: 5

"Planet Earth" TV Series is Very Cool

04/05/2007 1:03 PM

Do you like nature shows? If so, then you have to check out "Planet Earth" on Discovery HD or the Science Channel (and maybe elsewhere... check your listings).

The makers of this series are very proud of their work (they tell you a few times every episode), but the scenes, especially in HD, are really amazing. Just of few of the bits that I loved:

• A "sandfall" in the desert (if you saw it, you know what I'm talking about)
  • A bird-on-the-make transforming himself into a wing-to-wing electric-blue smiley face (again, if you saw it, you know it)
  • Adolescent elephants doing underwater dog paddle (made me smile)
  • Wild dogs hunting with Special Forces-type precision (ok, that might be laying it on a little thick, but they were so organized)

It's not a perfect show (no David Attenborough), but it is very good. If you have HD, you'll want to see at least one of these; I catch new episodes of this show on Sunday nights.

Here are some video clips from the show that you can check out.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Power-User
United States - Member - Popular Science - Evolution - Aren't we still evolving?

Re: "Planet Earth" TV series is very cool

04/05/2007 4:37 PM

I've been watching since the first airing a few Sundays ago and it's amazing.

My personal highlights so far: The elephants swimming, the Bactrian camels, the polar bears awakening, and the baboons crossing the river.

I highly recommend it as well.

Register to Reply
The Architect
Engineering Fields - Software Engineering - S/W Architect Popular Science - Evolution - Fascinating! Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - A fine computer United States - US - Statue of Liberty - NY

In reply to #1

Re: "Planet Earth" TV series is very cool

04/06/2007 8:27 AM

I forgot about those camels! That is a hard life!

Re: "Planet Earth" TV Series is Very Cool

04/07/2007 3:05 AM

mgaulin,

I agree it was an amazing series - which is currently being shown again here in the UK on some of our minor channels.

Here in England, it was shown on the BBC ( British Broadcasting Corporation) in 2006 and YES on our version we DID get David Attenborough for the commentary.

Perhaps on the Discovery Channel version, they want to give the impression that they made it by themselves!

Either way it is well worth watching - I particularly like the " Blue Planet" episodes which deal with our amazing seas and oceans.

In reply to #3

04/07/2007 12:14 PM

Oh man, I want to see your version! I've been watching David Attenborough since I was a kid and he is great. Yeah, that Blue Planet series is amazing. He did one on birds years ago that was very cool too. (There was a mimicking bird that learned to make human-generated sounds, like a chain saw and a camera "click". Amazing!)

Well, thanks for giving me something to look forward to: one day seeing the D.A. version of this series.
- Mark

In reply to #4

04/07/2007 12:34 PM

The whole series is available on DVD from the BBC if you want to buy it..

See www.bbcshop.com and but it in UK format.

Good Watching... Hugh

04/09/2007 1:07 PM

The apparent cooperation of the fish and the sea snakes in trapping food fish was creepy.

The sting rays's mouth is eerily human-like...creepy.

A baby whale consumes 130 gallons of breast milk a day (where's the cetacian dairy products?).

The nursing mother whale goes 8 months without food?

Where can I get one of those clams with the neon flashing lips?

How cool would it be to have the underwater grace and control of a sea lion?

That giant starfish was fascinating.

Those polyp chains were intersting.

My wife and I were awestruck.

Register to Reply
The Architect

In reply to #6

04/09/2007 1:25 PM

We had the same reaction in my house... a pack of swimming, highly venomous snakes is "bad" enough, but to hunt in tandom with fish way bigger than they are just isn't fair!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); HughMattos (2); julie (1); mgaulin (3)

Previous in Forum: Senses Challenge   Next in Forum: Nickel Vapor Deposition (NVD)

Advertisement