Previous in Forum: Maria Mitchell's Contribution to Astronomy   Next in Forum: Wasted Weight in Space?
Close
Close
Close
59 comments
Power-User

Ancient Astronauts Fact or Fiction

04/01/2011 2:38 AM

Hi, All

Pyramids of Egypt, archaeologists have found hieroglyphs that resemble nothing more than the UFOs that are described in sightings up to the present day. In fact, if you asked a person to draw what they thought an alien space ship looked like, what they drew would likely be identical to these hieroglyphs that were carved out on the walls of tombs in our ancient past. While this is certainly not conclusive evidence of the existence of extraterrestrial life, when put together with Egyptian Mythology, it certainly leads one to question the origins of the religion practiced by the ancient Egyptians. Egyptian mythology includes stories of the Gods traveling through the sky with light and noise, and depicts them as being similar to today's 'humanoid' type aliens.

REgard's

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

Re: Ancient astronauts Fact or Fiction

04/01/2011 3:03 AM

Do they mention anything about the sound of sizzling bacon? (Another common trope.)

Good Answers: 145

04/01/2011 3:11 AM

Anyone heard from Eric Von Daniken lately???

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #2

04/01/2011 4:34 AM

I played golf with him, not too many years ago. He's a hooker, as I recall.

Guru

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #4

04/05/2011 6:32 AM

oh, sorry, I thot you was repling to #3

Kris (not signed in)

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #40

04/05/2011 6:35 AM

...that's 'not signed in' as in 'won't be following this madness'.

United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 180
In reply to #2

04/01/2011 5:14 AM

I recall reading his books as a teenager, they were consigned to the bin as I recall.

Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 204
In reply to #2

04/01/2011 11:18 PM

He's been on the tv lately with that show about ancient aliens.

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 661

04/01/2011 3:46 AM

the problem with all this sort of nonsense is it totally ingnores the timescale of the universe.
Of course there has been or will be intelligent life somewhere else in the universe at some point in time.
But if you consider that man's presence on the earth has been for less than the bink of an eye in the life of the unverse the chances of other intelligent life with space travelling finding earth in the vastness of the universe at the right time is infinitessimal.
The other big mistake is relating carvings from thousands of years ago to something we have constructed or imagine now, and then compounding the error by saying that some other carvings look similar.
I'm sure you could find ancient carvings which look like a mobile phone and I'm sure some Celtic carvings look like Magnetrons.
Yes folks the Celts had Radar.
Ancient man wasn't stupid, they were highly skilled artizans well adapted to their environment and technology.
I'v just come back from Malta where I saw this beautiful clay statuette dating to about 3000BC (it's only about 3" long and full of humanity).

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #3

04/01/2011 9:42 AM

Got any theories about the "cart-tracks"?

In reply to #10

04/01/2011 12:15 PM

Yeah, they were made by carts...
Next!
Del

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #13

04/01/2011 5:06 PM

Now, why didn't I think of that?! .

(And the acceptable answer is not "'cos your an eejit")

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918

Re: Ancient Astronauts Fact or Fiction

04/01/2011 8:18 AM

Del's response summed up most of what I was going to say on the subject.

I might add that there is a field of psychology that deals with this type of behavior in humans. Historically we have a predisposed disposition to create these types of stories that stretch back as far as there are written records in history.

Elves, fairies, deities, and monsters have all been part of our psyche since the roots of time. As we mature as a species we tend to reduce that behavior, but it is striking just how much of it prevails to this day.

Our perception is also are bound by the environment we live in (culturally and technologically). We tend to explain what we observe based on the context that we live in. Cell phones, aircraft, spacecraft, computers and iPods dominate our culture, so it is natural when we see something in the past that we can't identify, we tend to describe that artifact based on those terms.

However, the people that wrote those images on the walls of the Pyramids did not live in our times and had a culture and technology far different (almost alien) in nature, so what appears as a UFO to us may have had a much more terrestrial meaning to them.

Lastly, we are also predisposed to drama in our cultural activities. Which means that we tend to exaggerate what we perceive and observe just to create impact with our relationships with others. This tends to stretch our account of reality (some more than others), which leads to a whole set of subcultures that believe things that have no scientific basis for existence.

For all of these reasons we are at a constant state of war between the rational mind and the irrational mind when we make observations and record or attempt to communicate those observations to others.

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User

In reply to #6

04/01/2011 8:55 AM

Hi, All

How the pyramids were really built, what tool they use to carry tonnes of stone?

and were is that tool?.

REgard's

Guru

In reply to #7

04/01/2011 9:36 AM

Blimey...to anyone with unlimited time and slave labour, building the pyramids presents no problem at all.
Simple tools like levers, rollers, windlass, or just the simple twisting of a rope can be used to exert tremendous force.
Maybe I shouldn't get sucked into a discussion like this on April 1st, I recognise the style.
Pose a problem, get answer... pose alternative problem so on ad nausem.
It's the "but why...but why...but why" style of discussion which leads nowhere but insanity especially when trying to solve problems, just answer one question at a time...
The trick is to make sure you are asking the right quest.
But why?
But why?
Del
(beam me up someone)

Good Answers: 11
In reply to #8

04/02/2011 5:23 PM

But why nothing.

They used alien tractor beams to move the stone. Anyone that's seen Star Wars knows what a tractor beam is capable of lol.

Honestly, I find this alien stuff interesting but until we get better evidence than a blurry image, it's going to remain science fiction.

Anyone ever wonder why there's many shows on History channel about aliens visiting ancient mankind, and one of the experts on the subject has a hairdo like he was just electrocuted? I can't take that guy seriously.

Anonymous Poster #2
In reply to #27

04/08/2011 6:47 AM

I always wondered what lumberjacks and truck drivers had to do with history as well.

Guru

In reply to #57

04/08/2011 9:28 AM

Yea they gave in to the pressure of reality television. It's only half and half educational now.

Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 409
In reply to #8

04/05/2011 4:49 PM

Its interesting, initially people thought it was slave labor, as discoveries are made it could actually be done by the Egyptians themselves.

Usually giving them a choice of paying their taxes or a few months labor.

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

In reply to #7

04/01/2011 11:20 AM

Sounds like Arnold Rimmer. Everything you can't explain must be aliens!

In reply to #6

04/02/2011 2:43 PM

Hello Everyone:

Why do most of you sound so sure that ancient astronauts did not exist? According to new theories formed by well known scientist/physicist, our universe may be in parallel with endless other universes. If this is proven to be true then most of your theories about how ancient astronauts could not have existed according to the numbers could be wrong. The reason I say this is because we are not familiar with the age of the other possible existing universes.

Furthermore, future scientific discoveries may prove that we belong to a childlike universe while thousand, millions, or even billions of other universes are more like our great grandparents. Again, this is all in theory but the possibilities are endless.

Believe it or not, scientific evidence proves that we are not alone and we are definitely not the most technologically advanced species.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7SDrj4Tjvk

Best regards,

AskQ

Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 83
In reply to #20

04/02/2011 2:55 PM

atomic particles being in more than one place at a time (from about 2 minutes into the video)

um...entanglement, spooky action at a distance, all that fun stuff?

Guru

In reply to #20

04/02/2011 3:44 PM

See..... post..... #3
I've writen that slowly because I suspect you can't read too fast.
Del

In reply to #20

04/02/2011 3:50 PM

You wrote, "Believe it or not, scientific evidence proves that we are not alone and we are definitely not the most technologically advanced species."

There is not one shred of tangible evidence to support that claim.

You can site interview after interview or post as many fuzzy pictures as you want, but at the end of the day there is nothing immutable that supports that claim. Zero, nada, zilch.

We can espouse about all the possibilities, but nothing exists to prove we are not alone, as much as we would want it to be true.

I hope that someday we confirm extraterrestrial intelligence, but I am not even sure if I will live to see that day.

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 129
In reply to #23

04/02/2011 4:27 PM

"I hope that someday we confirm extraterrestrial intelligence"

April First? - this topic? - here? not likely

In reply to #24

04/02/2011 4:46 PM

I can think of plenty of people who could do with some extra terrestrial inelligence.
Del

In reply to #25

04/02/2011 5:18 PM

how to make a dog a tin-foil hat

Good Answers: 114

04/01/2011 9:36 AM

Just imagine what will be said when some future form of civilization looks at the art of the last hundred years or so. I imagine the Cubists will be thought to picture strange creatures from galaxies far far away.

Good Answers: 28

04/01/2011 10:31 AM

The same is said about the Mayan ruins and hieroglyphs found on them and how they were built with alien help. It was also postulated that the Ark of the Covenant was a power source givens to the Israelis by aliens and that it was what allowed them to knock down the walls of Jericho and gave them strong powers in overcoming their enemies.

In reply to #11

04/01/2011 12:16 PM
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 83
In reply to #11

04/01/2011 11:49 PM

The Ark holds the world's best egg salad recipe, which is where 'What's Up, Tiger Lily?' went wrong.

Guru

In reply to #11

04/02/2011 2:52 AM

Yeah and the Longbow was given to the English by giant Cats from Alph Centurii.
Del
(slaps head with furry paw)

ALEYEINS

04/01/2011 1:53 PM

alienS! In FairnesS

Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

04/03/2011 1:26 PM
Guru

04/03/2011 2:51 PM

Should there be any evidence of extraterrestrial life, then the God idea will be gone so as the higher purpose

In reply to #29

04/03/2011 3:54 PM

there is lots of evidence. but there is even more people who refuse to allow the conclusions from the analysis or interpretation of that evidence.

all ancient civilizations gave the nod to 'gods' as their source of technical knowledge.

It is one thing to assign the cause of weather and volcanos to mysterious gods, and quite another to say that the gods showed me how to plant grains and make beer, build irrigation ditches and gates, build high-rise buildings, use a written language, plot the planets, and cut 1100 ton stone monoliths. etc etc etc. It is the records of the ancients that say that they were beings who travelled in the heavens (stars)

and in my book, the 'gods' don't prevent spirituality, but swim in it just as much as i do.

anyway... dangerous topic for cr4.

chris

Guru

In reply to #30

04/04/2011 8:08 AM

"anyway... dangerous topic for cr4."

Yea, I thought this was about aliens not religion.

Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #31

04/05/2011 1:28 PM

No, the crossover is that IF there were aliens involved in man's past in any significant way, as stated by another poster, its implications would spill over into religion.

Commentator
Canada - Member - Proud to be Canadian

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #29

04/04/2011 9:03 AM

Finding extraterrestrial life will not disprove the existance of God. It will just shift the question to where did their life start. Scientists know that the universe is expanding and that it had a singular point of origin which is generally reffered to as "The Big Bang"

The question still remains what caused The Big bang? Where did matter come from? Where did Life come from?

Parralel universes and string theory are interesting stories but what reasoning is there that causes one to pin their hopes on something without a shred of evidence and for which there is no expiriment you can do to support the theory.

You can not prove that God does not exist, but there is much evidence that when put all together makes the existance of God the most possible, probable and plasible answer if you are willing to have an open mind.

Human beings have minds that can communicate with one another therefore the creator must be one who is able to communicate. Millions of people down throught the ages believe that God has communicated with them, including many scientists and highly educated people.

Here is an expirament you can do to prove the existance of God. Pray this prayer "God I don't believe that you exist but if you do exist prove to me that you do exist."

It probably won't happeen instantaniously but over a period of time God will reveal himself to you. God has promised "he that seeks me will find me."

Do you truely have an oppen mind?

Reply Score 2 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #32

04/04/2011 9:32 AM

You wrote, "Parralel universes and string theory are interesting stories but what reasoning is there that causes one to pin their hopes on something without a shred of evidence and for which there is no expiriment you can do to support the theory."

Actually, M-Theory is holding more and more promise. As far as testing the theory, that may not be possible to any great extent, but the LHC is set to confirm some elements of this theory in the near future.

Low energy experiments for M-Theory are do-able and we may soon get a thumbs up or down if we are on the right track.

M-Theory is far from complete and the math required makes comprehension very difficult for most of us (as well as me) hard to gain an understanding of the real picture.

There are many cute videos and shows on the subject that try to dumb it down to the point where a layperson can grasp, but I am sure that you loose an awful lot of the meaning when you do. Therefore, it is impossible to form an educated opinion on the subject from these documentaries.

Guru

In reply to #32

04/04/2011 11:39 AM

You can't prove or disprove the existence of God, so you might want to give yourself an OT rating if you are going to start that debate.

This is an engineering forum. Not a place to quote scripture.

Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Guru

In reply to #32

04/05/2011 7:25 AM

Probably most people here wont like this argument/discussion, but I am afraid, I have to make my stand.

Yap, I am a believer of such logical idea. I am fundamentalist christian, I should say. Thanks for the warmth concern, anyway

04/04/2011 10:30 AM

Hi,

Well, I saw in the Discovery Channel, some years ago, a documentary about Pyramids construction. It was a extraordinary engineering effort spent in consctruted them, but all things that were used were stones, sand, woodden trunks (countless quantities of trees were cut), ropes and other available technologically objects at that time. However, it is need to say that, many lives were sacrificed too, during the many decades to erect them. Only Kufu required 5 decades and 50,000 workers (slaves)approximately to be erected.

But the more important things to say are: why and why they were built?

The first why was to demonstrate the human being capability in the execution of big works and in to establish complexes technological milestones, even at that time.

The second why and I say the more important is the hearing capability spiritual inspirations received from other existence plans, replying to the surrounding "we are here, you fell our presence!" appeal expressed by those entities, but I know also this forum is not the right place to discuss such things.

Let´s praise only the good will and determination of those people to believe that they were capable in listening and doing big puzzles covered by enormous misteries.

Regards

Guru

04/04/2011 11:25 AM

Arrgh no we've succumbed to the G word.
Jeez the sun doesn't go around the world... We aren't the only intelligent life...G didn't create us in his image, 'cos he doesn't exist...we just have huge egos.
When do we get over it and start behaving like the rational beings we think we are?
Maybe we should just nuke ourselves to oblivion and let the rats and insects have a turn... maybe G created one of them in his image?
I hope this offends someone, as if it does it proves my point and it will probably do them good, if only they'll take time out to actually think about it.
Nah' sorry I'm being silly now.
Del (exits slapping head furiously with paw)

In reply to #35

04/04/2011 12:19 PM

Perhaps you are forgetting the "God Particle". Well, the jury's out on that one, too. ;-)

Guru

In reply to #35

04/05/2011 12:16 AM

Can you make me a bigger one Del? - I still hears them in my head

In reply to #38

Ancient Astroboy

04/05/2011 12:26 AM

1) I can only hope for peace

2) Like you be nice to the kitty

Inappropriate Image: This post (or part of this post) was deleted because it included an inappropriate image that violates the CR4 Rules of Conduct.

In reply to #35

04/05/2011 7:46 AM

You believe God does not exist. Some scientists believe God does not exist and many other scientists do believe God exists. I admire your faith. You have more faith than I have. Can you give any evidence to support your belief?

Have you ever been in love? Have you ever sat at the bed side of someone who is dying and been overcome with grief? That is a totally irrational feeling if we are just matter that has come into existance because of the vibration of some one dimensional strings.

Reply Score 2 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #43

04/05/2011 8:38 AM

I think Stan, it is not proper to bring it here, let's be rational. Ok? we are fine with it. These people here are real persons though some are naughty-that includes me, but pretty sure they are just amazing as they were.

Heaven/belief is not something you can dictate and force others to believe. Let them find it as they will. Agree? Off the topic please- Is that ok with you?

In reply to #45

04/05/2011 10:49 AM

"While this is certainly not conclusive evidence of the existence of extraterrestrial life, when put together with Egyptian Mythology, it certainly leads one to question the origins of the religion practiced by the ancient Egyptians. Egyptian mythology includes stories of the Gods traveling through the sky with light and noise, and depicts them as being similar to today's 'humanoid' type aliens."

It seems to me that the topic is about God and 'humanoid' type aliens.

I agree that we can not force people to believe what we believe but people should not get away with bashing people who believe in God without giving some reason to how they arrived at their belief.

A theory has to be possible, plasible and probable to be considered seriously. Occam's Razor Test says "Do not multiply entities without necessity" and "resist the temptation to make our explanations too complex" String theory and m-theory is so complex that even when you dumb it down most people don't understand it.

I believe in Aliens and other dimensions. The prophet Ezekiel (in the Bible) tells of seeing something that he describes as a wheel within a wheel with fire in the middle of it and it traveling in all directions. Sounds like a space ship to me. Spirits exist in another dimension and sometimes they take on human form to communicate with us. The Bible talks about angels, arc-angels, cheribs, principalities, powers and demons. Human beings were not God's first creation.

The Egyptions, Incas and many other have recorded Alien encounters. The question should not be where did the Egyptions get their belief system from but did it have any merrit? There are many world belief systems. They can not all be right because many of them say things that are opposite to each other. Truth is exclusive. What you and I believe will not change the truth.

Pilate asked Jesus "What is truth?" then went out without waiting for the answer.

Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

04/05/2011 8:01 AM

Oops...........yikes!!! I think I saw something about an airless spray machine I need to check out.

Carry on folks.

Good Answers: 6

04/05/2011 9:18 AM

This discussion should have been discontinued about midway through.

The reason you don't see any GA's is there aren't any.

Anonymous Poster #1

04/05/2011 1:36 PM

I find it amusing that "we're" so sure of how the pyramids were built. And so sure there isn't a different history of man other than what we've "pieced together" from available evidence. It's easy for a "little" knowledge to make us arrogant as a species. There may be many ways to accomplish, what appear to be, fantastic feats.

Guru

In reply to #49

04/05/2011 1:55 PM

I don't think that we are so sure, but aliens and Umpa Lumpas are pretty much at the bottom of the list of rational possibilities.

Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Commentator

In reply to #50

04/05/2011 3:23 PM

In that case billions of dollars have been wasted over the years listening for sounds of aliens from outer space. That is not a very rational thing for our governments to do with our tax dollars.

Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #51

04/05/2011 3:33 PM

Until we find something...

Guru

In reply to #51

04/05/2011 4:23 PM

Rational? You don't know what you are talking about.

The total SETI budget is more like a $110 million over 24 years.

If wasting money gets your hackles up, maybe you should pick on the national debt. We spend $1.24 Billion every day just to cover the interest rate on our national debt.

Compare that to the $12,600 spent per day on SETI.

Reply Good Answer (Score 4)
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #50

04/05/2011 6:16 PM

Mostly agreed. But, apparently, one book raises some interesting issues. It, however doesn't support the "alien" scenario. But for the sake of discussion, reviews of it by people with credentials, say it can't be just dismissed. I have a copy which I do intend to read, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. And, as I understand it, he wrote a later book as a rebuttal or response to his critics. So, I guess I'll have to add that to my list, too. Of course, after reading the criticism of the original book.

Power-User

Good Answers: 1

04/07/2011 4:56 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I have watched the series and they have often talked about ancient (as in thousands and thousands of years old) Indian texts that talk about being floating around in their palaces and having battles in the sky... Putting across the idea of nuclear detonation and all of that stuff.

Alas, as I am just Ferris and have no way of going back in time to verify these things I can only wonder...

Ferris

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #56

04/11/2011 12:21 PM

"Alas, as I am just Ferris and have no way of going back in time to verify these things I can only wonder..."

Reply to Forum Thread 59 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

34point5 (3); acflima (1); Anonymous Hero (7); Anonymous Poster (5); AskQ (1); chrisg288 (3); cingold (5); Del the cat (8); Ferris (1); JohnDG (2); kramarat (1); Kris (2); lyn (1); Noudge79 (5); otha (1); passingtongreen (1); phoenix911 (1); ronron (1); Spinco (1); Stan The Man (4); sue (2); Tobugrynbak (1); TonyS (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Maria Mitchell's Contribution to Astronomy   Next in Forum: Wasted Weight in Space?

Advertisement