Previous in Forum: HFO Tank Design   Next in Forum: Extent of Effect of Salinity in Water on Concrete Strength
Close
Close
Close
20 comments
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Construction Engineering - New Member India - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member

Good Answers: 3

Fully Burned Brick

07/20/2011 10:50 AM

How to check whether bricks delivered at site are of 'fully burned' quality?

If bricks used in house construction,are not of fully burned type what harmful effects it can cause?

I shall be thankful to receive views.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817

Re: Fully burned brick

07/20/2011 11:08 AM

<...If bricks used in house construction,are not of fully burned type what harmful effects it can cause?...>

The supplier will get beaten-up with a long pole....

United States - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Electrical Construction

Good Answers: 58
In reply to #1

07/20/2011 12:03 PM

Would it not be more proper for the supplier to be beaten-up with a "fully" burned brick?

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
In reply to #2

07/21/2011 9:08 AM

Of course.

Good Answers: 206

Re: Fully Burned Brick

07/20/2011 1:00 PM

There's a sure fire test. Use the bricks to build a large arch. Stand under the arch as you disassemble the forms used to construct the arch. If the arch is self supporting you can feel confident the bricks have been fully burned. Should you notice that several of the bricks are raining down upon you you might consider firing them a bit longer.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #3

07/22/2011 12:29 AM

i've tried that, but only once.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - USA! Hobbies - Musician - Sound Man Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - More than a Hobby Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 99

07/20/2011 2:00 PM

Are you asking about the difference between a fire rated brick and one used in standard building construction? Fire bricks are typically made of a slightly different material, which will not crack/explode when heated to extreme temperatures. A non fire rated brick will have small air pockets in the material which may contain small amounts of trapped moisture (from the clay it was created). When these bricks are heated the gasses/moisture inside the small pockets will expand and cause a failure/rupture of the brick. Fire rated bricks will remain stable when heated, and will not explode or fall apart. Fire bricks are typically a bit more expensive, not as rough, and (usually, at least from the ones I've had) are not as "red" as the standard bricks, mine appear to be a bit more on the "grey" side.

I'm not a brick Guru, but I have had a few of both bricks through my days... I know first hand that a "standard construction brick" does not work well to contain large amounts of heat.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Construction Engineering - New Member India - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member

In reply to #4

07/21/2011 2:47 AM

Burnt brick is ""Brick that has been treated in a kiln at an elevated temperature to harden it, give it mechanical strength, and improve its resistance to moisture""

United States - Member - USA! Hobbies - Musician - Sound Man Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - More than a Hobby Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 99
In reply to #4

07/21/2011 11:19 AM

yep... there I go again misunderstanding the post...

Guru

Good Answers: 23

07/20/2011 10:34 PM

bricks fully burned--- have a ring to them when knocked togeather - you wil notice tinggggg sound

those not fully burned with have a thud sound when knocked togeather.

Good Answers: 59

07/21/2011 12:25 AM

A brick with water still in the clay have to have a resistance to it, similar to a wood moisture meter. Fully burned ceramic is an isolator. You will need to experiment on details.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #6

07/21/2011 2:42 AM

What are the harmful effects if bricks which are "not fully burned" are used?

In reply to #9

07/21/2011 9:09 AM

The structure comes down on someone's head.

Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 1

07/21/2011 2:33 AM

check the uniformity of colors and texture of surfaces of bricks...from the common sense you can deduce which one is burned and which one is not..sounding also can work, as the properly burned one gives out a sharp sound over the rest,again you can use water,just splash on the brick u are not sure of,and try to feel the surface using the finger,the one getting a soft consistence is not properly burnt,proper burned one dont respond on...the efect of using unburnt one is missing of benefits if u would use the burnt one..low strength,much affected by weather(rain,humidity,etc)...etc

07/21/2011 2:38 AM

a fully burnt or fired brick should be equally hard on all six sides. chipping at the sides with a rock hammer should give you and an indication of it's hardness. some older brick have only one hard face that were laid with the hard face towards the exterior.. weather will deteriorate softer brick in a short time.

Register to Reply
Power-User
Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 28

07/21/2011 7:17 AM

I am not an expert but I am curious if you could simply break the brick and look at the inside? Maybe some one here can say if the break line would appear different in color and texture as the outer edges are compared to the core. Or if the broken face would give off more dust when scratched with a screw driver or something similar. Again I do not know if these tests will work. But, it seems that if there is a difference in strength then these or some similar tests should tell you some thing. They at least sound safer than standing under a a newly built arch and waiting for them to fall.

Or you could send a sample to these guys https://www.brickandtile.org/testing/

Found this site for field testing bricks and it covers some of what I thought and much more. I hope it helps. http://practicalaction.org/practicalanswers/product_info.php?products_id=239

Register to Reply
Power-User
Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 28
In reply to #11

07/21/2011 9:56 AM

I forgot to mention that my thoughts on breaking a test brick were to check a lot quantity or pallet. It was not my intent to suggest you break every brick in question. Although you could reserve the destructive testing for the cut bricks when either starting / ending a course, windows, doors, or working around plumbing or vent piping. The last web site link in my original post has some test suggestions that would not damage the brick beyond its usefulness. Scratches in its surface that would be hidden by mortar would not be seen by the person you are building the wall for.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 2

07/21/2011 11:48 AM

If the bricks are not fully cooked, they can fall apart as the water inside will wear away the clay.

So not properly fired bricks will damage the structure being built, and then you will be in problems.

As to knowing when they are well fired:

1.- Buy only from reputable sources

2.- Make sure there is a warranty for bad workmanship or quality of the Bricks

One way to see if bricks are well fired, is to take samples from batches received, break them and confirm that it is uniform, that they have no porous patches or bubbles.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #16

07/22/2011 12:27 AM

i can't help to wonder how the manufacturer would resolve a warrenty issue, but i'ld think the victim would be royally screwed.

Register to Reply
Power-User

07/22/2011 11:14 PM

ISO 9XXXX system.

In reply to #19

07/22/2011 11:18 PM
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Byansheko (1); dadw5boys (1); Fredski (1); guds777 (2); jlstitt (3); KJK/USA (1); leveles (1); nvmani (2); PWSlack (3); RVZ717 (2); The Mechanic (2); vargaalex (1)

Previous in Forum: HFO Tank Design   Next in Forum: Extent of Effect of Salinity in Water on Concrete Strength
You might be interested in: Bricks, Masonry Services, Refractory Shapes

Advertisement