Previous in Forum: Selection of Motor Frame Size   Next in Forum: Forklift with 48 Volt Battery
Close
Close
Close
13 comments

Price per Square Meter - Electrical Installation

08/26/2011 3:35 AM

Dear All,

Is there a price per square meter for electrical installations in office buildings.? Is there an estimated price per quare meter one can use to estimate cost of electrical installations for office buildings?

Login to Reply
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774

Re: PRICE PER SQUARE METER

08/26/2011 3:49 AM

There may be some sort of average, but because of many variations, such a formula will be unreliable unless accompanied by much more information.

Some key loads may incluse lighting, computer equipment, air conditioning, etc.

Good Answers: 11

08/26/2011 3:49 AM

It may not have any standard rate because price per square meter for electrical installations for office buildings may vary widely depending on different requirement of users and quality of electrical appliances & accessories to be used.

Good Answers: 45

08/26/2011 5:05 AM

Size of building, new,retrofit,add on. Load centers in, distribution panels wiring, conduit, raceways, lighting fixtures, switch's, outlets. Time to do the job, determines the number of workers = man hours labor costs for job. Profit ,cost of materials. Any change orders adds to the cost. Permits, inspections, code requirements, rework may affect costs.

You generate all of this from the blueprints of the job.

The architect/engineer may have a base cost idea for the job based on past designs of local costs. But it still comes down to the electrician/company doing a "takeoff" of the drawing to get the total costs as designed. Any changes affect costs.

I'm sure I've overlook some things.

In reply to #3

08/26/2011 6:27 AM

I thank everyone for your comments.

I actually am aware of all the variables, and have been trying to convince my client to let me have the drawings so I can come up with the prices.

But he wants a price per square meter he can use for ALL his estimates.

I guess I will just have to insist on the drawings or at least a kind of brief.

thanks again.

Login to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Electrical Construction

Good Answers: 58
In reply to #4

08/26/2011 9:25 AM

Let me get this straight, the client has drawings but will not provide the drawings to you so you can provide an accurate price based on the drawings?

The client wants you to "take a shot in the dark" and throw a magic dart at the price dart board?

So once you provide your per/M guesstimate to the client, the client will then provide you with the drawings and expect you to honor your per/M guesstimate and proceed with construction?

This sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen.

My advice to you my friend, walk away from this one.

Good Answers: 45
In reply to #5

08/27/2011 3:27 AM

Wild Ass Guess and if your wrong you will be wagging in the wind.

GA KJK/USA

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member India - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 67
In reply to #4

08/27/2011 6:17 AM

Unless you clearly see what client want, you can not offer a price for it. It appears to me as you are not able to convince your client to tell his requirement. Many a times its mandatory for some organizations to obtain budgetary quotations for estimates of proposed work. They may not really have any drawing for it. Or, if the have one, it may be a proprietary drawing of some other company which they can not share with you. But they might have definitely discussed with you what & how many electrical facilities they want at which parts of the building. Just you estimate your cost with possible insurances, add some more for uncertainty. Measure the area of the building and give him a price per square meter.

Login to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #4

08/27/2011 7:07 AM

This a common problem faced by consultants and contractors. Some foolish,rich clients belief that engineer should know per sq meter rates. They never understand engineer's problems. Ask him if he ask three architects the same question for a proposed building(house),will they give the same figure. OR if you ask a mechanic how much will a car cost, will you get a simple reply. Some engineers and contractors give budgetary prices for allocating money for a project but they won't take responsiblity for it. If you give high value he will say another consultant said it won't cost so much. There is no safety for engineers in this matter.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774
In reply to #4

08/30/2011 2:38 AM

Maybe you should ditch this client and get some new ones. This one's dumber than a box of hammers, but no doubt has an MBA.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 808
In reply to #4

05/17/2021 3:23 AM

Decline the invitation, otherwise one is doing the Client's work for him/her.

Good Answers: 1659

Re: Price per Square Meter - Electrical Installation

08/26/2011 10:36 AM

We can't read your mind.

Without knowing where on the planet you are, what type of structure, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. how could you possibly expect anybody to give you an answer?

TALK TO LOCAL CONTRACTORS!

Login to Reply
Guru

08/26/2011 11:24 PM

It depends upon a)country,location b)wiring method(pvc/GI conduit),trunking (plastic, GI,powder coated),MI/pvc wires,FR wiring, quality of fittings used, Main cables(cables/bus trunking),c)type of air conditioning(central/room type),d)associated services(telephone,fire alarm, PA,Data,CCTV etc,e)Type of building(steel,brick,no of floors etc

08/30/2011 1:58 AM

You could give him a price per square meter based on the following conditions

1. you specify the light level and also the light fittings

2. you specify the number of power points per square meter

3. you specify the number of phone outlets per square meter

etc etc,

sure the number of power points per square meter would be probably be in the range of 0.2 to 0.45 power points per square meter and the same could be done for phone outlets and Ethernet connections etc

Lighting could be done by a minimum light level that you specify and the type of light fittings you intend on using. To work all this out you may have to work with a few different size office blocks models base your costs on the most expensive model, stipulate the Lighting type and power outlet type etc that was based on your model.

Any additional power outlets, lights and feature lighting etc is to be considered an alteration to the contract and would be charged as such.

This way you give your customer a basic cost, and get him on the alterations, but even with this there is still a risk.

Cheers

Joe

Login to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Login to Reply 13 comments
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

dotuntokun (1); Joe Sparky (1); KJK/USA (1); lyn (1); metalSmiths (2); pnaban (2); prdp2344 (1); pritam (1); PWSlack (1); Tornado (2)

Previous in Forum: Selection of Motor Frame Size   Next in Forum: Forklift with 48 Volt Battery

Advertisement