Previous in Forum: Chinese Railway Signalling Continues to Worry   Next in Forum: Tribute to Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011
Close
Close
Close
60 comments
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 20

25 Gallon Air Compressor Locked Up

10/04/2011 9:10 AM

I have an old 25 gallon, Campbell Hausfeld, air compressor I recently acquired (for a hundred bucks). After a single use, it has locked up on me. If I quickly flip it on and then off again, the motor hums loudly as if in full lock. I looked up a replacement kit for the pump/compressor and found it to be more than the entire unit is worth ($250.00).

Should I junk it? Should I keep it and use it as a reservoir for another compressor? Is there a way to rebuild the compressor or replace only the motor, depending on which is the problem?

Let me know what y'all think.

-A-

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 661

Re: 25 Gallon Air Compressor Locked Up

10/04/2011 9:22 AM

Open it up and see why it's stuck.
I'd guess it should be pretty easy to either dissconect the motor ot take the head off? Could be something basic that just needs freeing up/lubrication.
Go on and then you can post pics for our entertainment Prob' be more fun than what most of us are doing.
Del

Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

10/04/2011 9:38 AM

Did you check the compressor oil?

I wouldn't flip the switch anymore until you can do some troubleshooting and make sure you can get everything moving freely manually.

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

10/04/2011 9:50 AM

I have told many folks through the years to just take something apart and see what's broken. It sounds like that is what I should do here. I suppose I was spooked by my internet search coming back with only motor/pump combo kits available.

I am finding it harder and harder to work on things as the whole world seems to be moving to sealed case unit construction. Serviceability appears to be disappearing.

In this case it seems I should take my own advice and remember that if something can be put together it can also be taken apart.

I will post pictures. Heck, I might find the thing slap full of mud dobbers!

Thanks,

-A-

Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #3

10/04/2011 10:09 AM

Unfortunately, even if you can get something apart and identify the problem, finding parts is getting tough.

Don't laugh about the mud dobbers. I had the control box burn up on a compressor.............................took it apart, and it was chock full of tiny brown ants.

I ordered up a new one and sealed the whole thing with clear silicone caulk...............it's still working fine.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 282

10/04/2011 9:51 AM

CH-WL350102 Parts Breakdown.

This might prove useful.

In reply to #4

10/04/2011 9:56 AM

Oh wow! This is fantastic. Thanks Doorman. I don't know why this evaded my google search, but thanks!!

I will get back to y'all on this.

-A-

Good Answers: 1662

10/04/2011 10:33 AM

It's junk now, right? Worst thing that can happen if you can't fix it is it'll be junk in smaller pieces.

I'm betting it's the compresser. Motors don't generally just lock up, without some warning.

Spray some WD-40 in the intake hole and try it again in a few days.

Good luck.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817
In reply to #7

10/04/2011 10:40 AM

<...Spray some WD-40 in the intake hole and try it again in a few days...>

And risk compression-ignition of the WD40?

Just make sure all CR4 readers stand back beforehand - preferably with fingers in their ears.....

In reply to #8

10/04/2011 10:52 AM

"Spray some WD-40 in the intake hole and try it again in a few days."

Assuming some of the liquid gets by the valve and into the cylinder, in a few days, the flammable portion of the mixture will have evaporated.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
In reply to #11

10/04/2011 11:07 AM

Yeah. Good assumption.

Good Answers: 774
In reply to #8

10/04/2011 7:45 PM

I have serious doubts about that.

WD-40 is rather hard to get to compression ignite. I have shot it into diesel engines hoping it would work as starting fluid in a pinch. Nope didn't work.

Given the compressor would be starting up against a likely no load to light back pressure level well below that 17:1 or more compression that a diesel engine works at is the main reason I don't think it would be a problem.

That and I regularly shoot it into old compressors from time t time to clean the sludge and junk build up out of them and the check/unloader valve seats and have never had an issue with it igniting.

For what its worth typical CH compressors cant hit 120 PSI new out of the box in most situations which works out to less than a realistic 9:1 working compression ratio at best.

Register to Reply
Guru

10/04/2011 10:40 AM

I blame squirrels.
Del

In reply to #9

10/04/2011 10:48 AM

In reply to #9

10/04/2011 10:58 AM

I wouldn't consider that an off topic statement. Welcome to South East Texas Del.

In reply to #12

10/04/2011 11:44 AM

My brother lives in rural Arkannsas.

Has a Chevy Suburban that he doesn't drive much.

Tried to start it after it had been sitting for a while. Cranked, but wouldn't start. After much head scratching and some shade tree mechanicin' he discovered that squirrels had packed acorns all around the outside of the filter element inside the air cleaner housing.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

In reply to #18

10/04/2011 11:56 AM

What? He had some car troubles and he didn't come to CR4 and ask us?

Nuts packed around the air cleaner... Now we have another suggestion for the other-than-functional Chevy Cavaliers we hear about. It will be a break from the '710 cap is loose' suggestion.

In reply to #19

10/04/2011 12:03 PM

He's given up on the Sub, finally. Now, some of his 12 dogs (all strays he's sdopted)sleep in it.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
United States - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Electrical Construction

Good Answers: 58

10/04/2011 11:05 AM

You have $100 invested.

The replacement kit is $250.

Based on your description of "locked up on me", at minimum, the replacement parts you will most likely need with shipping charges will be about a $100 and there is no guarantee that the unit will run properly or for long after you invest your time and money to repair it.

These POS Campbell Hausfeld compressors go for $115 to $250 new.

The WL350102AJ has been discontinued and replaced with an equally poor quality similar type - WL219005AJ.

Since 2008, Campbell Hausfeld has recalled roughly 250,000 of their POS compressors.

Browse some of these

If you look hard enough you could probably find a good, quality, brand name (if ya catch my drift), compressor on-line or locally for less than a new CH.

Not trying to be a kill-joy, just say'in is all.

Regards - KJK

In reply to #13

10/04/2011 11:18 AM

Thanks KJK. I purchased this unit thinking that if the compressor didn't last I might be able to use the tank as a reservoir for a smaller compressor.

I agree with your POS assessment. But cheap is cheap and the old guy needed the money.

I think it will be worth my time to try Lyn's suggestion before I tear into the thing. Even then, some good suggestions are still coming in.

I will not allow any more than $20 or so to be spent on this project.

I really do appreciate your input and if I am going to pay full pop for a new compressor, it will definitely be a name brand.

Thanks,

-A-

In reply to #16

10/04/2011 4:06 PM

If you do try the WD-40, remember to wait till the solvent has evaporated. PWSlack could have a point about compression detonation.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Electrical Construction

Good Answers: 58
In reply to #13

10/04/2011 12:13 PM

Meant to say:

If you look hard enough you could probably find a good, used, quality, brand name.................

just cleaned my glasses and saw the error

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 30

10/04/2011 11:08 AM

That's very similar to the oil-less Campbell-Hausfeld compressor I have. I had to replace the "reed" valve plate that's part of the head. I didn't have any problems finding parts, there were a number of places that had the part, so I just searched around to find the best price. If you want the name of the place I ended up buying from, I can look when I'm home (at work now).

Tom D.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

In reply to #15

10/04/2011 11:33 AM

I do realize that CH compressors are not built-to-last, but for home/consumer use, it has served it's purpose. And, I got a free angle grinder and 50' of hose from the class-action lawsuit settlement . Seems the one I bought had been branded with a "Peak HP" rating that it could never attain.

Tom D.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 57

10/04/2011 1:58 PM

Look for the 'unloader'. That valve device allows the motor to spin up before the compressor starts compressing. On motorcycles this is called a compression release.

Good Answers: 4

10/04/2011 10:40 PM

Is this a belt driven unit? Single or three phase?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #25

10/04/2011 10:48 PM

Try to keep up. Go back and read.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 10

10/05/2011 12:17 AM

Take your tank pressure down to "0". Flip the switch to see if it runs. If it does, your unloader valve is fouled some way...maybe just dirty and probably an easy cheap fix.

When it builds up to pressure and quits compressing, you should hear a momentary air escape. If you hear it, the unloader is working and it should start when the pressure gets low enough for the pressure switch to start it again. If it doesn't start, it could be a bad motor or it might even be a bad starting capacitor.

On my compressors, the unloader is part of the pressure switch assembly and should be a fairly cheap replacement if it can't be cleaned to work right.

I'd suggest you do the unloader checks first and then the starting capacitors. If those are good, it's probably the motor. I'd doubt anything in the compressor itself is causing it to lock up.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #27

10/05/2011 3:51 AM

GA.

Best post when reading down from the top.......

Maybe the WD-40 can be used to clean the valve?

I would bet on a Capacitor that is well below its rated value due to age/lack of use.....

In reply to #30

10/05/2011 4:30 AM

Oh yeah, the capacitor could be the culprit.
Good call...
Del

Good Answers: 4

10/05/2011 12:25 AM

Makes me wonder if the compressor is seized. It may be that the motor start switch is not working. When the start winding is not functioning and an attempt is made to start, the motor will hum like it is seized. From what you write about the single use that you had from it, it ran OK till you shut it down. Usually when a compressor seizes, it slow down until something trips or smokes. The start winding can burn out if the start switch fails.

I would check the start switch before buying anything.

Vic

Register to Reply

10/05/2011 1:01 AM

I think I would check the backflow valve on tank. The motor cannot start with air against piston. Maybe the problem as this is the problem most of the time, people keep trying to start it until it burns up.

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #29

10/05/2011 6:22 AM

More detailed info would be helpful.

Back to Basics. Is it the motor or compressor that is locked up? Try pulling on the belt with the power disconnected. If you can't tell from there, remove the belt.

There is some wise advice in this thread. My bet is either the start capacitor on the motor and/or the unloader valve.

Both cheap, simple fixes. If the compressor is seized, usually from lack of lubrication, it's the piston(s). That is where most of the heat is generated. If there was no oil at all, then the rod big end bearings are probably damaged, too. Remember, this type of compressor is splash lubricated.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #32

10/05/2011 8:04 AM

This is an oil-less, directly driven compressor. No oil, no belt. This is a "consumer duty" compressor.

Tom D.

Ref. Qte.

No. Description Description DescripciĆ³n WL350102 Ctd.

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #33

10/05/2011 9:25 AM

Thanks, Tom, I guess I should have looked at the parts break-down, before commenting.

This makes it a little more difficult to troubleshoot. Built cheap and sold cheap.

Seems like a throw-a-way compressor to me. I think this was a charity purchase.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 3

10/05/2011 8:48 AM

I have the same compressor. I have found that it somtimes locks up on the compression stroke. If You turn the compressor by hand until its on the down stroke it will start and keep running. This only happens rarely.

You paid to much for the unit!

oilcan13

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 129

10/05/2011 8:40 PM

Did you check the oil?

Sounds like not

Try putting some in it, & turning it by hand until it frees up.

If it won't move, remove the head and oil around the piston, wait a few hours, then tap the piston using a hardwood block and largish hammer. Hopefully the rings will un-sieze and not too much damage will result.

In reply to #36

10/05/2011 8:48 PM

Tell us, please, where would one put the afore mentioned oil?????????????????????????

Ref. Qte.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #37

10/05/2011 9:05 PM

In the crank case

In reply to #38

10/05/2011 9:09 PM

There is no crankcase. Read the thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #39

10/05/2011 9:18 PM

Oh sorry, of course there isn't.

In reply to #40

10/05/2011 9:26 PM

OK, so it took me awhile to figure this out, too. Never seen such a thing.

My compressor has a crankcase.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #41

10/05/2011 9:46 PM

Yours prolly ain't Spanish/Italian either

But if you bought it 2nd hand, I bet you would go through it, and not believe such as "lubed for life" as it generally means exactly that.

In reply to #39

10/06/2011 2:40 AM

yeah but if there's no crank case then you can get to the big end to lubricate it. You can also see up under the piston to lubricate it.
I can see with all this squabbling it's going to end in tears...especially if someone tells Mrs Cat
Del

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #45

10/06/2011 3:14 AM

Mrs Cat, is that a Pseudonym for "Pussy Galore" of James Bond fame? Goldfinger?

Played by Honor Blackman (sits in a chair doing ads for the chair company today........)

So you are married to Honor Blackman!!!!

In reply to #45

10/06/2011 6:17 AM

That hardly qualifies as as squabble. As Lyn and I go, that's camaraderie.

And if it is open, there was possibly a wasp nest up there (or a fur-ball)

In reply to #37

10/06/2011 8:57 AM

Remove the 710 cap. It goes there:

Good Answers: 19
In reply to #48

10/07/2011 10:50 PM

Is this one of those "dumb Norski" jokes you tell up there in North Dakota?

In reply to #51

10/07/2011 11:08 PM

I thort it was quite funny - an I'm not from anywhere round there.

In reply to #52

10/07/2011 11:42 PM

I thort it were too, and I'm half Norski and went to college round there!

Dumb Norski jokes were part of my ethnic heritage, and I would be offended if I had to stop using them!

In reply to #53

10/10/2011 7:28 AM

So, yer haff 'Weejie, eh? Then yew are familiar with the Norwegian treat Lutefisk. For dose not familiar with the finer points of consuming the delicacy (which is sucker fish soaked in battery acid), I have found dis for yew:

Here is one generally accepted method to lutefisk consumption:

To understand the relationship between akvavit and lutefisk, here's an experiment you can do at home. In addition to akvavit, you will need a slice of lemon, a cracker, a dishtowel, ketchup, a piece of lettuce, some caviar, and a Kit-Kat candy bar.

Take a shot akvavit.
Take two. (They're small.)
Put a bit of caviar on a bit of lettuce.
Put the lettuce on a cracker.
Squeeze some lemon juice on the caviar.
Pour some ketchup on the Kit-Kat bar.
Tie the dishtowel around your eyes.

If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough akvavit to be ready for lutefisk. Return to step one.

This method compliments of lutefiskchef.info

In reply to #54

10/10/2011 7:33 AM

LOL!!

You forgot the bucket for when you throw up!!

In reply to #54

10/10/2011 8:30 AM

"sucker fish soaked in battery acid"

In reply to #54

10/10/2011 10:57 PM

No, my dad told me (he was the Danish part of the mixed marriage) that lutefisk was fish soaked in lye, so the poor norwegians could store the fish for long periods of time. In order to eat the lye soaked fish, you would then soak it in acid to neutralize the lye, rise off the residue, and cook to taste (or lack thereof). My father was a great man, never liked the stuff, and made sure us kids did not have to taste it either.

From some of the stories I was told, your akvavit method of preparation to consume lutefisk would be very expensive because a vast quantity needs to consumed to be able to choke down the soft slimy tasteless mass that was formerly a cod or other whitefish. Mind you, for me this is all hearsay. I have never actually tasted lutefisk.

Lefse is a different story. With a bit of butter and sugar or honey, lefse is delicious!

In reply to #57

10/11/2011 10:00 AM

I have heard it said that you can go broke eating lutefisk, what with the price of akvavit being what it is.

It is an acquired taste, one I have not acquired. Whenever a guest comes through town, occasionally they will ask me about it. There are a few stores that sell it and even a few restaurants that serve it, so and I take them to get a taste. Nobody has ever purchased some to take home with them.

[edit] Oops. I forgot to agree with you about lefse. Good stuff!

In reply to #58

10/11/2011 11:54 PM

Back whenI was a kid, the king of Narway came to visit Fargo. I understand Fargo Sons of Norway treated him to a lutefisk dinner in his honor!

From what I understand, he has never come back!

In reply to #59

10/12/2011 8:59 AM

BWAAAhAAAAaaaaaaa!

As an aside (this is already OT, why not an aside as well), King Harald is in Minnesota today. He and Queen Sonja are touring. As you have noted, and likely for the reason you imply, Fargo did not make the short list. (We should'a giff him some more akvavit I tell ya)

Say, did -A- ever get the compressor running?

Good Answers: 27

10/05/2011 10:47 PM

I am surprised this is on a 25 gallon tank. This unit would die before it got the tank up to pressure. Most 'oilless' compressors have a rubber diaphragm not a piston. Pistons need lubricating.

10/05/2011 11:02 PM

http://www.chpower.com/manualsearch/

I think since you have this much time invested in the compressor, you should go to the CH website and download a copy of one of the 5 or 6 manuals and do some light reading.

In reply to #44

10/06/2011 9:29 AM

Wot? read stuff like this?;

That would take all the fun out of it

In reply to #49

10/07/2011 10:46 PM

I'm sorry, you're right!

Just take it apart and see what you can learn. And if you can put it together without any parts leftover, maybe you learned to fix it right!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

-A- (4); 34point5 (8); Andy Germany (3); Del the cat (4); Deltaem (2); Doorman (6); Gazu (1); JIMRAT (1); KJK/USA (2); kramarat (2); lyn (9); mike k (1); oilcan13 (1); PWSlack (3); Randyl (1); Ried (6); tcmtech (1); tdesmit (3); Themonster (1); vtbgiraud (1)

Previous in Forum: Chinese Railway Signalling Continues to Worry   Next in Forum: Tribute to Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

Advertisement