Previous in Forum: Health Warning   Next in Forum: Coleman 220e Lantern - Appropriate Fuel Types?
Close
Close
Close
30 comments
Power-User
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Old member.  Heidi;  need to develop paper glider technique.  Use to

Retired, No Title

11/19/2011 12:36 AM

Is it worth pursuing the idea of using a drawn out clothes hanger - straightened out with one end bent to resemble a hook with chalk attached to make a mark on the wall?This mark could be used to show where a nail could be hammered into the wall to hang a picture frame to the desired height. The wire at the back of the picture frame could be dangling at the apex of the resulting hooked wire. The picture frame could then be raised and lowered to the desired height. I can't visualize how the chalk could be secured to the hook at the end of the coat hanger. Any comments or useful ideas? It is somewhat awkward to "eye ball" where the nail should be put to get the picture frame at the desired height without a tool or such.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

Re: Retired, No Title

11/19/2011 1:49 AM

You could do this more easily with a tape measure. Stretch the hanging wire tightly upward at the middle, and measure from the bottom or top of the frame, whichever you want to locate. Subtract accordingly.

BTW, when the thread composing form asks for a title, it is asking for a title of the thread, not a person's job title (or title of nobility). Thus "Retired, No Title" makes no sense. But you could have some fun with titles like baron/viscount/president/pope, etc.

(See also subsequent post.)

United Kingdom - Member - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: South-east corner of Spain 50 48 49.24N 2 28 27.70W
Good Answers: 31

11/19/2011 1:50 AM

No, it's a picture frame or a piece of art work! Is there a real need for such accuracy! Why not just measure how far the apex is from the bottom of the frame and transfere that to the wall! Remember Kiss.....Keep it simple, stupid! (no insult intended :)

Guru

Good Answers: 1728

11/19/2011 2:08 AM

I always hang art at eye level, so that if I put my nose to the wall it would be in the center of the object or slightly below....This is a rule of thumb I use if the art is to be observed at close range....The further away you get, I begin to elevate a little...such as a large room where the painting would be seen most generally from a conservative distance of say greater than 10 ft.....Then for extenuating circumstances, say wall space, other paintings or decor, I like to balance the object to fit the general design so that everything looks balanced....This sometimes requires moving the piece several times, but if you have to see it every day, to me it's worth the effort...When preparing to hang the picture, after deciding location, I then examine the back of the painting to see where the hanger will be located in relationship to the center of the painting by using my finger to stretch the hanger wire taut, this generally is just below the top of the painting, but varies...Now I measure from that point to the center of the painting, roughly speaking, get up close to the wall estimate nose height, add distance from hanger to center and make a mark there....Now I stand back and estimate the final hanging position by leaning the painting against the wall, and picturing it in the intended location...If I don't see any problem, then install hanger..This only works if you are of average height, if you aren't, then you have to make an adjustment. If that requires a custom made measuring device such as you describe, then so be it....If your pictures are all the same size and you want to hang them at the same height, then you might measure the first one once it's positioned at the correct height, to replicate the result...Good Luck and Happy Hanging

Guru

Good Answers: 1662

11/19/2011 3:05 PM

You must all be single.

If you were married, you'd know that the picture goes where the wife wants it, regardless of any fancy tools one uses.

I sometimes end up with 5 or 6 holes in the wall before it is positioned correctly.

That's why all my art is big.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 7)
Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1036
In reply to #4

11/20/2011 5:28 AM

Ditto. And she can tell if it's a microradian from being level!

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 102

11/19/2011 10:52 PM

I like the way you are thinking Heidi.

Instead of fixing a piece of chalk to your wire hook you could blacken it with candle soot to act as a marking agent to transfer the apex position onto the surface

Otherwise I concur with the simpler tape measure suggestions already tabled.

Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Old member.  Heidi;  need to develop paper glider technique.  Use to

In reply to #5

11/21/2011 12:25 AM

I guess the tape measure is simpler but that means you have to go look for the tape measure, mark either the top or bottom of the frame and make the measurement. i just don't know. At least it gets one thinking about a sensible solution.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 8

11/19/2011 11:23 PM

If we can use odd materials, how's this:

put candle black on your thumb, then holding the picture wire between your thumb and forefinger reaching over the top of the picture (with your other hand taking the weight), you place the picture against the wall in the desired location. Then you simply move your forefinger up to allow the candle black to touch the wall. Put down the picture and fasten the picture hanger over the black mark. Hang picture.

you won't have a new tool to add to your coat-hanger art collection, but you'll make a tool and start an art collection selection: unless that's only for the lonely.

Would the smudge offend your sense of tidy, Heidi?

Guru

Good Answers: 1728
In reply to #6

11/20/2011 11:36 AM

I would make sure they don't have kids first!

In reply to #6

11/21/2011 12:35 AM

Sounds good.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #6

11/21/2011 12:37 AM

Sounds good.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #19

11/21/2011 1:01 AM

Sorry about repeating.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #20

11/21/2011 1:02 AM

Sounds good.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #19

11/21/2011 1:04 AM

Having some trouble with computer.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: South-east corner of Spain 50 48 49.24N 2 28 27.70W
Good Answers: 31
In reply to #22

11/21/2011 1:59 AM

LOL....You just made my Monday morning Thanks Heidi

Power-User

Good Answers: 15

11/20/2011 3:58 AM

Use a temporary wire with hook, string or chain connected to the hanger on the back of the artwork extending above the top edge enough to hold it by hand. Using the temporary hangar, hold the artwork in the desired location and lightly mark or use a piece of painter tape to mark the top center edge which should be behind and in line with the temporary hanger, Then the temporary string is measured from the top edge to the place it is connected to the artwork. Transfer that measure to the wall straight down from the temporary marking. Nail it home.

11/20/2011 5:50 AM

For a more serious answer to your question, yes, it is worth pursuing your idea, though with caveats. I have one child with a Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree who had her Thesis Hanging display this June, and another with good skills in art, but into computer software, so we have experience in hanging. I have hung some of the sold art, and have hung art for collectors ($$). This post has treated this idea as a way for someone to hang a picture for themselves, but hanging a picture (or a set of pictures) can cost thousands of dollars (to someone with thousands of dollars) as a home remodeling or art display project , including repainting to highlight sympathetic colors in the artwork, changing window treatments and moving lights and switches to optimize lighting of the art. To people into art, these are important concerns. That is who you should aim your idea toward.

I am of the old school of wire-hanger art using what used to be called "coat hangers" to make my tools. I think you are on the right track - light weight composition, flexible function. The caveats:

where this idea is most useful is in big pieces, by size and/or weight. You need to learn how big pieces are hung

using this tool to temporarily suspend the art would be a major plus. fractions of inch are important (or millimeters)

the ability to easily nudge the piece a little up,down, or sideways is a plus (see above)

marketing is the secret. make it a tool a famous artist would use.

Good luck

Commentator
Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - Grumpy Old Bear

11/20/2011 9:16 AM

I agree with the KISS Principle also. I use double sided tape (or fold regular tape over) to stick a thumbtack or pushpin to the back of the frame at the apex of the hanging wire. While holding the top of the frame slightly out from the wall I position the picture where my wife wants it. When properly positioned, press the frame against the wall so the pin point will mark the wall at the proper location.

In reply to #10

11/20/2011 11:47 AM

Too complicated. Three tools needed. Tape, tack and wife. Chances are still good that this method could result in more that one hole in the wall.

"Honey, now that you're out of the way, I think it should be just a little lower and more to the right. Or, we could move the other picture a little more to the left."

Almost a direct quote from my first wife. God forbid if she wanted to re-arrange the furniture. That could take all day. My family "fondly" referred to her as Tidy Heidi.

Guru

Good Answers: 27

11/20/2011 8:22 PM

If you are around artists there are sure to be 'spare' easels around. 'Borrow' one of these and remove the rear support and make a vertically extentenable rod on the back. Place easel against the wall, hang the picture from the rod, stand back and look. The easel is stable and can be moved sideways. The rod has a T bar on top to hang the picture from and to mark the wall and can be moved up and down.

The viewer can see the picture without a person in the way and subsequent pictures can be hang next to it getting the position and height right.

11/20/2011 10:46 PM

I wonder how many ways there are to hang a picture?

Looks like we're gonna find out.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

In reply to #14

11/20/2011 10:54 PM

By the neck until dead. (Bet you didn't think of that one yet!)

In reply to #14

11/20/2011 10:56 PM

There are very few different ways to "hang" a picture.

There are an infinite number of ways to give advice, and people to give it.

In the end, you drive a nail in the wall and hang the picture on it.

Guru

12/17/2011 8:56 PM

Today i had the job of hanging some pictures. After a couple of hours in the shed i had four PICTPOSTs made up. They worked a treat.

A simple tap on the screw with my fist made a center punch hole on the wall for me to drill and plug. I hope that by publishing this no one else can patent the device, simple as it is, and make a bag full.Merry xmas all.Jim

In reply to #24

12/17/2011 9:19 PM

Some of the heights in the picture are in dire need of adjustment.

In reply to #25

12/19/2011 5:49 AM

Was it you or 'she who must be obeyed' who said that?

In reply to #26

12/19/2011 6:19 AM

That was I. (Even I noticed that the pix were up and down and all over the place.)

In reply to #27

12/19/2011 8:01 PM

Oh! Maybe i need some sort of adjustable pole to hang them o.....n. Oh! wait, i have some.

In reply to #28

12/19/2011 10:45 PM

Jimrat,

You've definitely risen to the challenge here mate!!

Will you be taking them down to Freo to sell them when you're done? Loads of art galleries there (at least there used to be).

12/20/2011 6:11 AM

The ones i made here are pretty simple and probably not marketable. A more sturdy version with some finesse may well be. At least 'til some one gets them made/copied in the far east. Jim.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Beenaround (1); Heidi (5); IBGrizzly (1); JIMRAT (5); lyn (3); Mr. Truman Brain (2); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (2); Tornado (4); Wal (3); woodpower (2)

Previous in Forum: Health Warning   Next in Forum: Coleman 220e Lantern - Appropriate Fuel Types?

Advertisement