Previous in Forum: Retired, No Title   Next in Forum: A Tour Of Christchurch City Red Zone
Close
Close
Close
64 comments
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 177

Coleman 220e Lantern - Appropriate Fuel Types?

11/19/2011 11:42 AM

Hello everyone! I have 2 ancient/vintage Coleman Model 220E Camp Lanterns (EARLY MODEL) that were given to me by my uncle when he retired some years ago. I also have a Coleman camping grill given to me by the very same uncle. I SERIOUSLY NEED SOME ADVICE ON THE CORRECT TYPE OF FUEL TO USE IN THEM, HOW TO CLEAN THEM, AND THEIR OPERATION!

In light of the power outages around here the past few years I have been thinking of revitalizing these lanterns as a backup emergency lighting source, or for camping purposes.....batteries just don't cut it out in the woods. Any help received would be greatly appreciated!

From what I have ascertained so far from the information I found by Googling the Internet that these lanterns appear to have been made in the late 1950's or early 1960's. I have never operated one of these before, and therefore I really need some SOLID advice from those of you that have used one or a similar vintage Coleman camping lantern. SAFETY FIRST!

I do have a beat-up copy of on the manual, but I do have a couple of questions regarding the appropriate type of fuel to use in them as well as issue of varnish deposits. But I am confused by the terminology regarding the fuel type that is used in the manual.....

I do know what Coleman camping fuel is, basically (I think). I've seen it in Walmart and other stores....Thing is that it's very expensive! The manual does mention using a "Water-White gasoline" (not doped, anti-knock, or Ethyl gasolines) or Naphtha, or an appropriate "unleaded gasoline". What the .......?????? I'm confused as all hell now, as I'm not exactly familiar with the older gasoline terminologies and what they exactly mean (my BD is 1958 and I basically have pumped Unleaded Gasoline in my vehicles starting in 1974)! I even saw reference to using "S&L" fuel (in a downloadable owner's manual), whatever that stuff is????!!!!

Does that mean that I can use standard "UNLEADED GASOLINE" that is available TODAY at any gas station in the USA, OR NOT? Is it the same stuff (or not) as the older Unleaded Gas mentioned in the manual????? I saw on several U-Tube videos where people are using Unleaded Gasoline for their lanterns. BUT, others commented that it isn't a good idea because of the following issues: potential fouling, burning cleanly, and burning less brightly. Any comments and/or advice? Octane issues if applicable?

Also, can I safely use standard white Kerosene fuel in the lanterns in lieu of Unleaded Gasoline or Coleman's camp gas.

What's a good way to remove the fuel varnish in these lanterns, as they probably haven't been used since the mid-60's? Would Gumout Carb cleaner (or something similar) work?

TIA!!!!!!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 97

Re: COLEMAN 220E LANTERN - APPROPRIATE FUEL TYPES?

11/19/2011 12:11 PM

I grew up with Colman lamps but never knew there were model numbers-

therefore my info might be wrong.

Over here (and UK) we used paraffin which i believe is called Kerosene in the States.

Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 62

Re: COLEMAN 220E LANTERN - APPROPRIATE FUEL TYPES?

11/19/2011 12:18 PM

Moosie - you lucky devil!

First most: So the 'generators' as I recall them being named can indeed be disassembled and cleaned as outlined in the manuals you have. In these times I would refrain from Carb cleaner (unless perhaps the spray can style) and use instead Brake cleaner in a spray can. (My last can of soaking carb cleaner was possessed of strange properties and smells that worked well enough, was environmentally friendly, but even after reinstalling the carb and driving for days I could smell it every time I opened the hood).

On the Second Hand: OUTDOOR use only. Knowing you are a safety conscious fella yet I had to repeat it. This equipment no matter the fuel is for outdoor use only. Doesn't mean you can't hang it outside the patio door and light the house.

Safe at Third: For power outages (Yes, even us Californuts) use kerosene lamps ala Dietz or others, good source is Lehman's, or your local 'antique' store. Only use kerosene or there are several de-scented products in kerosene. ALT use oil lamps, but do not burn kerosene in oil lamps or vice versa. Especially do not save a dime by wondering if you should burn some of the dubious recommended products like mineral oil (probably OK with an oil lamp) or mineral spirits (not OK in any lamp). Even with kerosene or oil, be wary and flush the air in the house periodically. Modern houses are much 'tighter' than the houses these were used in.

Now back to your fuel: What is in the Coleman can is what was commonly called 'white gas'. I don't know what it is. Coleman made many multi-fuel products. They can burn unleaded. They can burn leaded? Some can burn kerosene or diesel. Naptha since you ask was called dry-cleaning solvent and expensive but available. The real issue they are trying to communicate was versatility, but also 'generator' longevity. The more additives in the fuel, the more often you get to clean the generator. Depending on the additive. No help, hunh?

These products actually are very efficient, if you are sure the exact model you are holding is a multi-fuel, I would first get it back up and running on proper Coleman fuel. Then experiment with unleaded if ya want.

Good luck!

Good Answers: 1663

Re: Coleman 220e Lantern - Appropriate Fuel Types?

11/19/2011 1:36 PM

Moosie,

I've still got mine from the 70's when I camped on the desert every weekend.

Some advice:

Check the inside of the tank for rust!

Use only naphtha or Coleman fuel. Never anything else, unless it's an emergency.

Buy a striker/lighter for each one. Matches are a drag and I've seen people tear a mantle up trying to light the thing. The lighters work great. (They also work great for tennis ball cannons, but that's another story) (spare flints)

Buy a funnel/strainer.

New mantles are a MUST. A spare set is mandatory for each lantern. Follow the instructions carefully. Once fired, the mantles are very delicate.

I never cleaned mine, so I can't advise you. I ONLY used clean, filtered Coleman fuel in mine.

Unless they will sit on the shelf, I'd but a case for them.

Lubricate the pump leather. If it has a leather seal. Just a thin coat of light machine oil.

Don't use it in a closed room without some ventilation.

Don't over pump when pumping it up. When you feel about 5 pounds of resistance, stop. Experiment with this. Do not over-tighten the fuel cap, pump valve or the on/off switch (control valve.) They'll last forever with proper care.

Mine hasn't been fired up in 20 years, but I'm confident it would still work.

Good luck.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

11/19/2011 1:41 PM

Lacquer thinner soak will soften up the varnish. Acetone works to, but evaporates too fast. Don't light it!!!! Only use it to remove varnish in a well ventilated area.

How's the mantle?

I wouldn't use gasoline of any type to burn.

The lantern fuel from Walmart should work, possibly kerosene or denatured alcohol too. That's all I've got.

Here's an old manual from that era of lanterns. Might help. White gas (Naptha), is available at Home Depot or any paint store.

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

11/19/2011 1:43 PM

Those early stoves and lantern were design to burn the Coleman fuel which isn't diesel, kerosene or unlead gas. White gas is usually naphtha.

Coleman does now makes what they call duel fuel equipment which will burn unleaded gasoline or white gas. You may fined that the ones you have can be converted to duel fuel. Been a while but converted to lamps made in the early 70's over. The design and parts haven't really changed much through the years. Check their web site for parts.

In reply to #5

11/19/2011 1:50 PM

I don't know if I'd convert them. Google is telling me that people actually collect these things. It's probably of more value in it's original state.

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266
In reply to #7

11/19/2011 9:43 PM

They are minor parts that can be saved and reinstalled if there ever is a desire to sell as a collectors item.

In reply to #19

11/19/2011 10:16 PM

Okay. No problem. I've been in argument mode lately. Nothing serious. Sometimes I'd rather debate than agree. I'll even take the opposite side. Shoulda been a lawyer.

No worries.

In reply to #20

11/19/2011 10:27 PM

Lately?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #21

11/20/2011 1:38 AM

I'm trying to make new freinds..........................okay, always. I'm always a word that I can't use on here.

Once I pick up my boobs and genetalia from k mart that I have on layaway.......................we'll see whose the boss..

You should talk.

I'll fly to Arizona, tie one of those little red balls in your mouth, and make you treat a lady with respect.

This is email right. Not an international forum?

In reply to #25

11/20/2011 1:41 AM

Oh hell. I thought I was on the dentistry thread.

Good Answers: 30
In reply to #20

11/20/2011 6:23 AM

no, really?

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #7

11/21/2011 8:27 AM

Yes, there is quite a market for collectible Coleman lanterns.

Back when the hurricane hit my area in early September, I couldn't find spare mantles for love or money, so I went on Ebay to find some. I saw some Coleman lanterns that were considered collectible sell for over $250, rare ones like the chrome-plated or maroon-colored ones or 50's and 60's vintage lanterns in good condition for close to $100..

If you have an early 70's vintage lantern, you might consider cleaneing it up really well, and keeping it. A new dual-fuel Coleman lantern can be had for less than $50 online, or a propane cylinder one for around $30 ay WalMart.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

In reply to #48

11/21/2011 8:52 AM

My Coleman Model #220E lanterns were manufactured in 1956 and 1958. The Coleman camp stove was manufactured in 1959 I believe. All are in excellent condition, save for cleaning up some gas varnish.

I plan on keeping them all, and will use them when we go camping, or for a bonfire get together with friends in the fall/winter.

Good Answers: 1733

11/19/2011 1:48 PM

Well here is the website...

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/parts/ProductImage2.asp?product_id=220E195

user's manual...similar

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/images/pdf/220f_228F.pdf

You can use naphtha = unleaded gas, kerosene, alcohol, no oils...

1954 model

In reply to #6

11/19/2011 2:01 PM

Sorry,

Nowhere have I ever seen alcohol or kerosene used or recommended for these lanterns, and I'd say never use them.

As I said, maybe in an emergency.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

11/19/2011 2:25 PM

I think Mrs. O'Leary was using either gasoline or alcohol in her lantern.

In reply to #9

11/19/2011 2:30 PM

I'd guess it was "coal oil". You're too young to remember that, I'm sure.

Coal oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

11/19/2011 2:58 PM

You're right, I wasn't around in the late 1800's. Thanks for clearing that up.

I guess you've seen a lot of changes, eh.

Did you and your family have your own telegraph machine when Lincoln was shot, or did you have to hitch up the wagon and ride into town to get the news?

In reply to #11

11/19/2011 3:20 PM

Smarta*s kids, you're all the same. No respect. I was born a little later than 1880.

Our first vehicle was a"37 Chevy pickup. Got it before I was born. It was 7 miles to town. There was 1 house within 5 miles of ours. The rest was privately owned (Weyerhaeuser now) forest or our farmland. It was the perfect place to grow up.

We had an outhouse until I was 6. Went outside to pump our water, too.

Got our first telephone (8 Party line) in 1956.

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #13

11/28/2011 3:41 PM

Wow and I bet when you were born the Dead Sea was just sick.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #8

11/19/2011 3:07 PM

There might be some slight modifications required for your particular lantern, but the shop manuals on-line there will show if that's necessary...

This is from the coleman website...

Unleaded Gasoline
Our DualFuel™ appliances are made to accommodate automobile fuel. Coleman's modified valving even allows for differences between summer and winter blends. At 1/10 of the cost of propane, unleaded gas is the cheapest of all appliance fuels. And it's available everywhere, of course. In an emergency, you can siphon gas from the tank of your RV or car to use in a DualFuel lantern or stove. Although it's the most economical fuel to use, you'll extend the life of your appliance by using purer Coleman™ Fuel most of the time.
Main advantages: availability and low cost.

Kerosene
Used less now that other fuel options are available, kerosene is economical to use, readily accessible and dependable. Disadvantages are that it's smoky and has a strong smell. Also, kerosene appliances do require priming with a preheat fuel.
Main advantage: low cost.

This from survivalunlimited...

150 CP Isopropyl AlcohoL Conversion KIT
NEW KIT!! Allows you to convert your 150cp lantern, to operate on Isopropyl Alcohol (70% & up) DOES NOT PRODUCE CARBON MONOXIDE WHEN BURNED! EXTREMELY SAFE FOR INDOOR USE - Absolutly the only lantern in the world able to safely be operated Inside your home with this kit !!!!!

In reply to #12

11/19/2011 3:31 PM

I don't know about Moosie, But I'll stick with Coleman fuel. Just call me a traditionalist.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

11/19/2011 3:49 PM

I'd get one of these for camping, and clean up and save the old ones as collectibles.

Call me a "greenie".

I have something similar, but not rechargeable. The batteries have lasted for two years so far. No fires, no smell, no mess.

In reply to #15

11/19/2011 3:50 PM

Me too....These alternatives are more for expeditions into the wild ...imo

11/19/2011 3:22 PM

Coleman 220E Lantern dated 4/61 in Excellent Condition

$26 on ebay
picture here

Good Answers: 8

11/19/2011 4:37 PM

I used to keep three of these Coleman units ( single and dual mantles) since my Dad used to use them when I was a kid many decades ago. I kept them, with spare mantles, fuel as backup for power outages up here in the Northeast. Meanwhile, I've been using kerosene wick lamps, candles, and battery powered portable fluorescent lamps (and campfires) for recreational lighting at night. This year we in the Northeast USA have had several opportunities to experience no power, no internet, no cable, no phone for days at a time. So I got out my kerosene lamps, candles (they even come in different scents) all of which are safe inside a home or out, and I threw away the white gas (which can explode) and we recognized that we were just having another party...

One of the really bad characteristics of those admittedly bright (and noisy) Coleman units is that your eyes adjust to the high light levels where you are using them, so when you leave that small smelly noisy circle, everything looks really dark, whereas if you light with kerosene ( we actually use lamp oil ), your eyes are adjusted to a lower light level, and it is easier to see with a small LED flashlight.

So if I were you - or you were me - I would sell, give away, or toss all those things. The only gasoline burners I have now are blow torches for bulk heating which I think are going soon. I even tossed my 135,000 BTU/Hr construction heater (pre-EPA air quality)

Enjoy!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 59

11/20/2011 12:09 AM

While I do not have a Coleman, I use a single Thorium sock in a glass envelope, screwed onto a standard propane bottle for soft soldering. Served me well many times in the last 30 years without changing the sock even once. Lit up the kitchen table for reading, the room comfortably. No smell, no spillage.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 102

11/20/2011 12:31 AM

Give nitromethane a go.

Good Answers: 59

11/20/2011 1:02 AM

As a rocket fuel, racing fuel, or inhaler, or what, why and how. Those nozzles and Thorium mantles are delicate.

Register to Reply
Guru

11/20/2011 1:38 AM

As a lamp fuel. This is the subject isn't it? Mantle's only delicate to mechanical abuse.

Good Answers: 15

11/20/2011 4:45 AM

We used to buy white gas from Amoco gas stations in the 50s through 70s. It was their premium grade automotive fuel labeled lead free and we used lots of it for Coleman lanterns and stoves at boy scout camping. I would bet they do not carry it anymore and if they did double check the additives. Lead is your biggest enemy to the lantern but who knows all the other antiknock junk they may have put in it today. Most damages I remember were operator or transport induced. I still have three of that vintage and the only fuel I keep is the Coleman labeled. It is used so infrequently and you easily get 12 hours out of one lantern tank full there is no reason for me to seek cheaper supply.

If you are intent on finding alternate source I suggest going to the nearest Amish gathering and ask them where they get their lantern fuel. Many use Coleman lanterns in the house and barns for light and not kerosene because of the better light quality. I will bet they have a cheap bulk source. Now don't get confused with the roadside trinket, cheese and candy (made in China) Amish that drive pick up trucks. Real Amish won't ride on air filled tires. They use horse-drawn buggies and no A/C electric in homes or barns. Ever see a gasoline powered clothes washing machine?

As a last resort you could call a local fuel oil supplier and see if the carry white gas in bulk. Better ask the price first as I think you may not be that bad off with the walmart Coleman cans.

Good Answers: 32
In reply to #28

11/20/2011 11:55 AM

Exactly! I had the same experience. My impression that the Amoco white gas was just regular unleaded gas, like everybody sells today.

Don't listen to those that have suggested kerosine. This is not a kerosine lantern, and would not work at all with it!

If it were me, I'd try just regular unleaded. Otherwise pony up the extra bucks and buy the Coleman fuel.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #34

11/20/2011 12:05 PM

See my post #34.....you CAN USE K-1 Kerosene if you modify the lamp....Coleman even sells the necessary parts to do so!

With Kerosene going for slightly more than $4 around here (if you can find it!), its around 1/2 the cost of Coleman White Gas (basically Naptha)....

And I have 5 of the blue 5-gallon Kerosene fuel storage containers too (I use a fairly new super high quality Kerosene Heater during the winter months as a supplement.....far cheaper than paying for #2 Home Heating Oil with the volatile prices hikes during the heating season! YeeeeHaaawww!!!!!!!

In reply to #35

11/20/2011 12:23 PM

I stand corrected. Others seemed to suggest that you could use it directly.

Register to Reply
Guru

11/20/2011 10:02 AM

WOWSERS, look at all the responses and great advice!!! I thank all of those fellow forum members that took the time to reply to my posting!

The advice about asking a true Amish family is a super idea, but alas there are no Amish settlements within 130 road miles of here. The closest ones are located west of Amsterdam NY in Montgomery and Fulton Counties where I lived previously.....bummer. Geeeee, I wonder where they get their lantern fuel?

I'll probably be buying Coleman's lantern fuel at the nearby WallyMart....but first I need to buy some lacquer thinner to remove the varnish inside and out.....most likely I'll have to dismantle these two puppies and the Coleman camping stove and give them a thorough cleaning and "engineering check".

Again, thanks guys!

United States - Member - Born, raised halfway 'round .....

Good Answers: 24
In reply to #30

11/20/2011 10:28 AM

I'm sure you are close to NYC. There is an Amish Market right 228 E 45th St., between 2nd and 3rd Avenue in Manhattan. They also sell very tasty pizza!

In reply to #31

11/20/2011 11:38 AM

Actually, we're located about 100 miles north of NYC along the Hudson....across the river from Kingston NY and about 20 miles or so north of Poughkeepsie.

It's not worth my while to travel into the city (regarding lantern fuel) due to the cost of vehicle fuel and these damn bridge tolls both ways.....then I have to pay the Highway Robbers at the parking lot?! NFW!!!

It used to be that you only had to pay one way on the GW, etc., but NYC Bridge Authority has gotten too way greedy lately. I refuse to pay any of it to go to NYC, unless it's for business purposes. Then I can write off costs due to business expense...

Why the hell isn't anyone down there in NYC, LI and NJ up in freaking arms about the exhortationalist bridge and tunnel tolls? We only pay (one way I might add) $1.00 to cross any NYS Bridge Authority crossing throughout the mid-Hudson! The NYSBA is trying a fast one trying to raise the tolls on their 5 bridges up here and we're not buying it! Damn crooks!

United States - Member - Born, raised halfway 'round .....

Good Answers: 24
In reply to #32

11/20/2011 3:24 PM

Good to know that, and I agree it is always cheaper to cross the Hudson anywhere north of Tapanzee Bridge. Bear Mountain Bridge was only 25 cents then when my son was still in West Point.

Just to inquire, a telephone call would be the easiest aside from being lowest cost. Not sure if an Amish place called "The Barn Raiser" is the closest to your area??

2964 Route 9W Saugerties, NY

P: 845-247-4449 F: 845-247-0494Toll Free: 1-866-833-7433

In reply to #38

11/20/2011 4:20 PM

Saugerties is across the river (western shore) and upstream some 11 miles.

Thanks for the name of the place! I will call them and see what the deal is!

In reply to #30

11/20/2011 2:36 PM

The Amish use oil/kerosene....

Good Answers: 61
In reply to #30

11/21/2011 10:37 AM

The help section of Coleman's website recommends using denatured alcohol to remove lacquer from the fuel tank and also to clean the fuel and air tube. Another section details the reasons for not using other fuels, mainly carbon buildup at the point of combustion and damage to the fuel tank.

11/20/2011 11:46 AM

After doing a TON of online searching and research I found out I can use K-1 clear Kerosene fuel only IF I install some conversion pieces for my Coleman Model #220E lanterns for less than $30, as follows:

#220A Generator (Part #200A5891).

#201 Preheater Cup (Part #201-5101).

An Alcohol Bottle (Part #201-5511).

All parts are apparently available from the Coleman website store, or Ebay.

I also found out I need to PREHEAT the Kerosene with burning alcohol in the cup in order to use the kerosene.......I'll have to order new new mantles while I'm at it, since these may be too old and could possibly fall apart. Always safe to have some spares on hand!

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 781

11/20/2011 3:47 PM

Without the mentioned modification, the Model 220E wouldn't work properly with kerosene; it needs a more volatile fuel.

Most kerosene lamps are of the wick type, with low output of yellowish light. They can use scented oil. However, the Aladdin lamp is a mantle type, with brighter, whiter light output. I don't think it can use scented oil, but I'm not sure.

Anonymous Poster #1

11/20/2011 4:04 PM

With your contacts, you might like to find what 'extras' they put in local Jet-A (JP-8)

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #40

11/20/2011 4:24 PM

Holy cow, using JP-8 jet fuel in a Coleman lantern!? LOL I'll blow myself up most likely! Novel idea..........

I'll check with my brother as he's a retired F-16 pilot. I suspect JP-8 is close to kerosene if I remember correctly...

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #42

11/20/2011 5:22 PM

JP-8 is basically highly refined kerosene so about the same as Coleman fuel = tame [but mind the additives] It is extensively used for cooking through to vehicles. More or less a Standard Military Fuel to around 2020 or 30 [depending on who is saying what]

JP-4 is a bit more volatile but nowhere near as exciting as unleaded gasoline that some have suggested. That is what I'd call "blowing myself up" territory.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Power-User

In reply to #43

11/20/2011 5:47 PM

The lamps were designed to work with a volatile hydrocarbon, such as (unleaded) gasoline. The fuel must be in vapor form by the time it reaches the mantle.

Even with gasoline, it still takes a while after you have lit them to achieve full brightness. The heat from the lit mantle is needed to get sufficient vaporization, even with gasoline.

I did not think that kerosine would work at all, because of low volatility. Moosie has pointed out that there is a conversion kit that would allow the use of kerosine. To use kerosine, it sound like you have to use an alcohol burner to volatilize the kerosine before the lamp can be lit. Sounds cumbersome.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 781
In reply to #44

11/20/2011 6:07 PM

Exactly; GA.

In Coleman (white gas) designs, there is a vaporizer tube, called a "generator," that passes near the combustion zone. Once the unit is started and has warmed up for several seconds, the fuel is fully vaporized before reaching the nozzle. Until warmed up, the stove or lantern burns incompletely, with smoky yellow flame.

Kerosene appliances require a larger generator to vaporize the fuel. The generator may also need to be preheated, usually with denatured alcohol. My antique (but still reliable) Optimus 00 kerosene backpacking stove is of this type. If not primed fully, it doesn't work, and I have to start over.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #44

11/20/2011 6:10 PM

Hey - thanks for the OT

But it is pretty clear you don't research before you take umbrage.

FYI mantles work fine on anything from 'town gas' to LPG, inc 'benzine'. The issue is intended OP use, so toxins produced by a lantern in a closed room during a power outage, or OFO invasion, or EMP event, or zombie invasion - not jolly camping out in the 'open air'.

So what exactly is in todays unleaded gas? N.F.I have you.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Power-User

In reply to #46

11/21/2011 9:45 AM

I didn't give you the OT.

In terms of research, I've owned a couple of these lamps.

I'm a chemist, and I've made instrumentation for the petroleum industry for about 25 years, so I do have some idea what's in gasoline

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 19
In reply to #51

11/21/2011 10:11 AM

And given what gasoline is made from and how it is made, some idea is about as good as it gets! Lots of different hydrocarbon chains make up the mix, although with current refining it is getting a bit more defined. Still, all in all, gasoline is somewhat of a brew with a lot of different molecules making up the blend.

There is a reason the Colemans fuel is high priced.

In reply to #44

11/21/2011 8:09 AM

Yes, in order to burn K-1 Kerosene in a 220E lantern, one has to install the proper Coleman generator, as well a Coleman "preheater cup" where alcohol is first burned in order to get the kerosene hot enough.

I saw quite a few U-tube videos where the they were using kerosene and the alcohol preheating....not too cumbersome (at least for me) actually.

Additionally, I found a discussion (forum thread) about this very subject for the 220E lantern modifications at

www.northeastshooters.com

Good Answers: 19

11/21/2011 9:16 AM

We have an ancient stove, and a not so ancient lantern that was part of a set of camping gear we paid 100% for. We have only used Coleman fuel in them. I haven't used them in about 5 years, but since they have always burned clean fuel I have no doubt that they would start if needed. My stove and generator are pretty simple once you understand the concept. Not much to go wrong, even with a bit of varnish.

Given the current economy, I think stocking up on a couple of gallons of Colemans might be a good idea.

11/21/2011 10:33 AM

The closest thing to the old white gas I used in the 50's is now unleaded low lead aviation fuel. To see what I mean take a little of the 110 LL from the airport and put it into the palm of your hand and let it evaporate. You will not have any residue left in your palm and it will look like all the oil is gone from your skin. Take a little unleaded gas from your gas can and do the same. you will have residue left in your palm. The av-gas is not leaving anything behind. This will not destroy the generator in your lamp. it is expensive but will burn very clean. Closest to the naphtha used by early Coleman fuel makers.

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 12

11/21/2011 10:42 PM

With the advent of unleaded gasoline, "White gas" (unleaded gasoline) was no longer needed.

Today I just use simple regular gasoline straight from the pump for both the camp stove and lantern. Don't use kerosene!! That would result in a mess.

You realize, that you have to pressurize the gas with the hand pump to get a nice blue flame on the stove or a bright light on the lantern, and they will have to be periodically pumped up as the gas is used.

I WOULD NOT use either device in a residence though, as they might put out carbon monoxide, which could end your concerns about the lack of electricity. They need ventilation.

Bill

PS You may need to rebuild parts of the devices, particularly parts of the pump if they haven't been used in many years, and you might need mantles for the lamp too. These parts might be found at a sporting goods store.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #55

11/22/2011 8:30 AM

Also try eBay for parts....there are penty of sources for mantles at 50 cents apiece (WalMart charges about $2.50 or so), cases, funnels, leather washers and more. You can also get lanterns and stoves for much less than retail.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #56

11/22/2011 8:48 AM

I've already purchased the Coleman modification parts (to burn K-1 Kerosene) on Ebay, as well as several packages of new mantles.

One thing I haven't gotten yet is a new leather gasket for the pump, but I'm going to try using 3-in-1 oil on that first and see if it rejuvenates it's pliability.

Already know of the carbon monoxide hazard issues about using these lanterns indoors, so they'll only be used outdoors on camping and hunting trips, during bonfire events, or on the back deck of the house (away from any door or window).....SAFETY FIRST!

If the power cuts out, I can always use the standby electrical genset rated at peak 12 kW, which is fully capable of powering up everything in this house, plus some (neighbor's house if they treat me with niceness LOL).

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #55

12/02/2011 9:49 PM

GA

A well informed thread covering both actual composition and outcomes of thinking everything lumped under a broad generic term is the same "soup".

Then again, of course I would say that as it clearly agrees with my voted OT original comment.

Register to Reply
Guru

11/23/2011 7:38 AM

Niceness? Is that something like getting paid?

Good Answers: 2

11/29/2011 6:45 PM

Brings back memories... I grew up on a bush farm in what was Rhodesia... We used Coleman and the similar British "Tilley" lanterns as our main light source... The Colemans came in two flavours; "Gasolene" or "Kerosine"... One cannot use the wrong fuel in either... I believe jet sizes plus the different vaporizing characteristics of gas and kero, dictate differences in the generators... Both types have to be "pre-heated" by either burning a small shot of alcohol in the pre-heat cup in the kero lantern, or pumping a little gas from the lamp's font and pre-heating with that...

I would NOT try burning gas in a kero lamp but would maybe attempt kero in a gas lantern only to try and verify which type of generator your lamp is fitted with...

If your "trial" results in a decent light, you must have a kero model, otherwise flush the font and try again with regular unleaded gasolene... Try it OUTSIDE as one can achieve a pretty decent fireball from a lamp which has not pre-heated enough... :-)

I'd be happy to give you detailed instructions on the care and feeding of your Colemans if you wish... Just holler :-)

Try http://www.geocities.jp/gkpllantern/32_Coleman_220-228.html for some details on your lamp.

In reply to #60

11/30/2011 8:09 AM

Thanks Capt. Curious for the info, but as I have stated previously I have purchased from Coleman the proper "regulator" tube and preheater cup (for the alcohol pre-burn) to modify my lantern from a "white gas" burner to a "kerosene" burner. I also replaced both mantles with brand new ones.....

So far it has worked flawlessly! That's outside of the house of course!!!!

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #61

12/01/2011 11:23 AM

Enjoy your lamp... Nice in winter as the lamps give off a lot of heat...

03/10/2018 7:45 AM

I remember my parents had such a lamp. Yes, a long time it was, Used such a lamp on all picnics - an excellent tool and fun

looks! https: //bestoutdooritems.com/5-best-kerosene-lanterns-oil-lamp/ and so that's what I'm about. I just advised washing the catalyst wire more often: from the low-quality fuel it can burn and shorten the life. For this, the usual diluted with water gasoline or liquid for rinsing the carburetor may be suitable.

And yet, I don't advise her to fill with gasoline - only as a last resort.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 64 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (4); Beenaround (1); Captain Curious (2); CaptMoosie (10); DaveFinger999 (1); edignan (1); Hendrik (1); kramarat (8); leveles (2); lyn (6); misplayed (1); ozzb (2); pdef (2); PFR (1); pwr2thepeople (1); RicinCinci (1); Ried (2); Sciesis2 (1); SolarEagle (5); Tad (4); Tornado (2); vsar (2); Wal (3); woodpower (1)

Previous in Forum: Retired, No Title   Next in Forum: A Tour Of Christchurch City Red Zone

Advertisement