Previous in Forum: Can Use Valve With U Seal?   Next in Forum: Ansys Analysis
Close
Close
Close
19 comments
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 20

What Caused This Change?

08/02/2012 11:35 AM

First off, I know the process conditions that caused this change to occur.

I want to know if anyone out there can tell me what caused this color change and how much of it was required?

Same material. One recently remove from service, and an alternate design going in. The change in shape has nothing to do with the change in coloration.

BTW, inches.

-A-

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 818

Re: What caused this change?

08/02/2012 11:49 AM

Lots of heat?

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #1

08/02/2012 11:56 AM

Agreed!

Is there a prize?

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

In reply to #1

08/02/2012 11:58 AM

So. . . the process condition that caused the change was: heat.

And, the amount was: lots.

Do I read your answer correctly?

Much love to you PW.

I am looking for a slightly more scientific answer. I have a friend who claims CR4 is incapable of intelligent Engineering evaluations and is full of snarky and rude answers only. I want to prove him wrong.

-A-

In reply to #3

08/02/2012 12:09 PM

Steel Heat and Tempering Colours

Remind your friend that nobody here gets paid to render professional opinions.

There are untold numbers of lazy people who come here and ask elementary questions that can be answered by a search engine.

Then there are those who are in over their heads at work and come here to have us do their work for them.

Then there;s homework.

Need I go on?

I'm sure that Milo will be glad to give his opinion. Does he need to present his credentials to your friend to be taken seriously?

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Guru

Good Answers: 138
In reply to #3

08/02/2012 3:22 PM

Don't under estimate the value of "snarky" and "rude". Highly refined and properly applied they can be very useful tools in the modern world. Tell your friend "Thank You".

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 53
In reply to #3

08/02/2012 6:16 PM

Your friend is mostly correct, primarily because the OP rarely provides enough information for the evaluation they are seeking. The effect likely was caused by a combination of exposures, including heat, time, elements and perhaps compounds. Without additional known values it is not possible to quantify the remaining condition.

P.S. I think you are a clown.

Garbage in, garbage out.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 1728

Re: What Caused This Change?

08/02/2012 12:36 PM

The color change could be caused by oxidation due to heat (~ 400ÂșC), but without knowing the composition of the metal, it's hard to say...It could just as easily be some chemical accumulation or reaction...or it could be a combination of the two...

In reply to #5

08/02/2012 12:45 PM

316 ss

Good Answers: 1728
In reply to #6

08/02/2012 1:52 PM

Well it looks like a temp sensor insert for a boiler, so I would say much lower heat for a longer period of time....The high chromium content of the 316 would resist oxidation for a significant period of time...

United Kingdom - Member - Hearts of Oak Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #6

08/03/2012 3:40 AM

It definitely looks like heat effects. We make exhausts from 304 and 316 and they go this colour after seeing around 400degC.

Hi guys!

08/02/2012 2:09 PM

My assumption would be that only the lower 1 3/4" of the device is directly subjected to the heat/working fluid. The threaded portion and head would be dissipating heat into the mating threads and air, and stay somewhat cooler.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 45

08/03/2012 12:27 AM

The gradient is to sharp to be the result of heat. It is a stain.

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 28

08/03/2012 1:15 AM

How about dissimilar metals between the plug and the flange entry, and dissimilar cooling coefficients between them and the fluid, whatever that is, allowing it to seep into the threads as we see in the pic. The stuff on the hex-head is just crap as far as I can tell. The change in shape, HMMM. Go back to supply and check the P/N!

IMHO!

08/03/2012 8:35 AM

I was on board with most of the others on this forum. My theory was heat. However, I still needed to confirm my guess. So, I had the bolt cold cut and I received the results this morning.

It turns out rcapper called it with little effort. Maybe it was a guess, but he stated it rather directly. I think he was able to call it.

Thank you rcapper. Your answer pointed to my OP being wrong. It happens. Evidently my belief that the discoloration was due to heat was in the majority. We were all wrong. Thank you.

As to some other respondents. . . love you too!

-A-

Good Answers: 11
In reply to #14

08/03/2012 9:15 AM

Cool but now the real questions to see how to prevent it.

What was the installation? What is the service? What are the service conditions? Any environmental elements that could have come in contact with this (other than 90% humidity)?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

08/03/2012 9:41 AM

Hey! I thought you were gone!!

You see, there is still hope for this band of misfits. Someone had a helpful answer. . . . mostly. . . with no data. . . but he was right!

There are experienced engineers on here who can be helpful.

As to all of your questions, you (of all people) KNOW I can't answer any of them. Proprietary technology and all that. Suffice it to say that we use equipment to make stuff. Just like everyone else.

-A-

Good Answers: 11
In reply to #16

08/03/2012 9:46 AM

Ok then write me a PO and send me an email in private

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 130
In reply to #14

08/03/2012 5:03 PM

Is there some copper compound in the water? Iron is more electropositive than copper (or less, can't remember which way round it is), so if you dip mild steel into copper sulphate solution it soon gets a coating of copper. Maybe stainless does the same, the colour looks about right.

Good Answers: 27

08/04/2012 6:47 AM

I've noticed similar colours on sump plugs. i.e. in a cars oil pan/sump.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

-A- (4); Ace Boeringa (1); BruceFlorida (1); cingold (2); Codemaster (1); English Rose (1); JIMRAT (1); lyn (3); PWSlack (1); rcapper (1); RDGRNR (1); SolarEagle (2)

Previous in Forum: Can Use Valve With U Seal?   Next in Forum: Ansys Analysis

Advertisement