Previous in Forum: Cable Ladder Expansion Joint Plate Installation   Next in Forum: ENTES Network Analyzer - Wrong Data Values
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Participant

Principle

11/27/2012 11:50 PM

what is the principle of flow meter and pressure trancmeter. please give easy ans

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 779

Re: principle

11/27/2012 11:58 PM

There are several different types of flow meters and a few types of pressure transducers/transmitters. No simple answer is possible.

Good Answers: 107
In reply to #1

11/28/2012 12:18 AM

I found it pretty hard to deduce transmitter/transducer from "trancmeter". I believe you are right that there is no easy answer.

Power-User

Good Answers: 29

11/28/2012 1:12 AM

One measures pressure, the other measures flow rate.

Easy ans enough?

Longer ans -

Pressure transducers detect a pressure, such as water pressure in a pipe, and transduce, or modify the method of reading the pressure (trans=change) to another method of transmission of the pressure data. A water pressure transducer might read the water pressure (mechanical) in a pipe, translate the pressure into millivolts (electrical), and transmit that voltage to a meter to read the pressure.

A pressure gauge does not change the method of information. A pressure gauge would read the mechanical water pressure and mechanically display that pressure on a dial.

At home, a traditional bathroom scale is a pressure gauge that reads in pounds or kilos. A fancy electronic scale could have a pressure transducer in the base and an electrical readout on the base, or remotely on a wall or pedestal.

The same principles apply to the concept of a flow meter versus a flow transducer.

If you are a student and need to demonstrate this in class, stand on a scale while pouring soda from a two-liter bottle into a bowl while holding a stopwatch. Now you have a pressure gauge and a flow meter working at the same time. The faster you pour, the faster the pressure on the scale will change. Now you can calculate liters per second, pounds or kilos per liter, and even the pressure ( a little?, or a lot?) to achieve a soda flow rate of one kilogram or one liter per second.

Power-User
Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 27
In reply to #3

11/29/2012 4:56 AM

Rather than being condescending, disrespectful and rude in responding to a question which many of us would see as very basic, txmedic has been very gracious in his answer. This poster should serve as an example to those well-known few here who, if they neither have the experience nor the wits to contribute, merely bash and bully the unfortunate OPs with nothing better than insults just so that they can increase the number of their posts.

Thank-you for bringing civility back to CR4, txmedic. You deserve 3 dozen "likes"

Guru

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #6

11/29/2012 9:56 AM

I agree with your comment. There is no need to be rude, but, as the manager of a department you are not being totally fair to me. What I mean is if the gentleman has no more imagination and/or understanding than his post suggests, but gets a good grade using TXMEDICS info (Which deserves a good grade) and I hire him based on that grade, I am not being treated fairly. That is why questions posted by students should be treated differently, if answered at all. Leading questions, not answers, are more beneficial to them. The problem of needing an answer NOW because they did not budget their time well when the assignment was given to them will be a good lesson in real world situations where the customer does not care about your problem, he is hiring you(r company) to solve his. (Descending soap box) -- JHF

Good Answers: 117
In reply to #6

11/29/2012 10:29 AM

WHO was condescending? WHO was rude? Who was disrespectful?

This was clearly a homework question by a student who is doing a test of some sort. Some students get VERY short thrift here, this fellow did not.

Many of us get "tested" every single day at work. There is no shame in asking the answer to one who has done it (whatever IT is) before. That being said, do you think the OP's teacher would be happy with txmedic's answer? Was txmedic's answer the right one? (I think it was actually!) Was it the one his professor wanted to see? Do you think the student will now be able to "show his work"? Do you think the student will now go on to further research when he is faced with the next question either in school or on the job, or do you think he will simply ask txmedic how to solve the next problem he encounters.

The right thing to do is to point to appropriate books, texts and studies to help the student find the answers for himself. To this end, I must give Lyn, Circuit Breaker and Kilowatto a good answer.

Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 27
In reply to #8

11/29/2012 1:09 PM

We've digressed and, as such, I expect this string of posts to be cut off very shortly. Nevertheless, it is an important theme because it pertains directly to the credibility of this often very useful site.

My comments weren't directed as a response to any specific negative posts here but rather in general to those few who seem to take great delight in such bullying. Regular visitors to CR4 surely know of whom I write. Although with near certainty we can say that this particular OP is student, we can't assume that this forum is his only research source. How does anybody know that he hasn't scoured many other resources in preparation to analyze and weigh the merits of all before he comes to his own conclusion? Isn't it arrogant to think otherwise before actually knowing the true circumstances? Regardless, this isn't really the point that I was trying to make. These self-serving bullies attack not only students but also quite frequently they take their vengeance out on "less-enlightened" members of the existing workforce, often clearly employed in non-western countries. This is truly atrocious and, quite frankly, very embarrassing.

txmedic has selflessly made the move to elevate the aura of this site which has unfortunately, sometimes reeked of red-neck intolerance, back to one of civility. As a result, perhaps now many more professionals will reconsider and feel it worthy enough to join. If we choose to ignore this issue, the site will surely wither as not only prospective members aren't attracted but, existing members fed up with such juvenile nonsense, depart with their heads hanging in shame.

Good Answers: 117
In reply to #9

12/01/2012 7:19 AM

There has been no red necked intolerance on this thread.

I have seen no self serving bullies who attack less enlightened members of the existing workforce. Name them please.

Or better yet, report them to the moderators.

Good Answers: 1661

Re: Principle

11/28/2012 8:20 AM
Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 165

Re: Principle

11/28/2012 10:03 AM

Are you by chance asking how you can use a pressure transmitter, to derive a flow measurement? If so then google Bernoulli's principle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli%27s_principle

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BoltIntegrity (2); Circuit Breaker (1); IdeaSmith (1); Kilowatt0 (1); lyn (1); Tornado (1); txmedic3338 (1); Yusef1 (2)

Previous in Forum: Cable Ladder Expansion Joint Plate Installation   Next in Forum: ENTES Network Analyzer - Wrong Data Values

Advertisement