Previous in Forum: Vertical Centrifugal: Low Efficiency and High Motor Current Problem   Next in Forum: Clarity Analyser
Close
Close
Close
65 comments
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Biomedical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member

Good Answers: 7

WD-40 Poisoning?

12/04/2012 11:03 AM

It started as a joke - I was making pizza for my family. After dinner, I told them that were had run out of 'non-stick' spray and I coated the pans with WD-40 so the crust would not stick. My daughter (with the engineering degree) was there with her family and was appalled - "Is that safe???" Until she figured out I was kidding.

But, now I'm curious - the label on the can states "FIRST AID-Ingestion:CONTAINS PETROLEUM DISTILLATES Harmful or fatal if swallowed." In this case only a small amount would be used, and I'm certain it would all get absorbed into the crust.

First, with the heat of the oven I'm sure the smell would fill the kitchen and you would not want to eat. Second, if one did eat, I wounder how many pizzas would you have to ingest to be toxic?

As my daughter told me - "Random thoughts..."

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 409

Re: WD-40 Poisoning?

12/04/2012 11:07 AM

What do you ask questions like this?

some of the distillates are pretty nasty. Benzene comes to mind.

Some of the pizza's after their cooked, already has enough 'lube' on them.

Good Answers: 1662

12/04/2012 11:10 AM

I'd say somewhere around 20 pizzas should kill you.

Probably won't be the WD-40 that does you in, though.

The petroluem distillates will have re-distillated. The reaming minuscule amount of lubricant won't hurt you.

This is not a medical opinion. It is the opining of a practical person.

I wouldn't do it, myself.

Judging from the following Mizuti post, NEVER put apples on your pizza! They'll enhance the effects of the .00000000001mg of lubricant you have on the crust.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 23

12/04/2012 11:14 AM

I have no idea, but I wondered something semi-similar a few months back. You see, I eat the entirety of an apple - seeds, core, everything. One of my colleagues expressed concern that I was ingesting arsenic. We did the math out to find I would have to eat an astonishingly large amount of apples in a rather short period of time for the trace amounts of arsenic to actually have any kind of effect.

In this case, I'm thinking the dangers are a little bit higher

Good Answers: 92
In reply to #3

12/04/2012 11:17 AM

Is it arsenic? I always thought it was cyanide compounds in apple seeds.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

12/04/2012 11:21 AM

Oop, you're right. Slip of the tongue. Good eye!

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #7

12/04/2012 11:24 AM

Actually before it was banned, fruit growers used Lead Arsenic as a pesticide. And they did get absorbed in the pit or seed.

In reply to #3

12/04/2012 11:22 AM

I had taken an environmental course in college recently.

If though it could be slanted, it was discussed, that it is not the amount that would kill you.

An example, lets say you smoked one cigarette when you were 16 years old. did care for it and never smoked again.

Later on lets say your 50 years old, you get lung cancer just from that one cigarette you smoked when you were a teenager.

Its the same with any pathogens or carcinogenics that are found in WD40. The discussion was interesting, the semester was based around food stuffs that I actually did my thesis on fractorization using a Wiped Film Evaporator.

Good Answers: 284
In reply to #9

12/04/2012 1:46 PM

'....Later on lets say your 50 years old, you get lung cancer just from that one cigarette you smoked when you were a teenager.....'

Why would we want to say that?

I mean if we are going to agree to say something that cannot be verified and is not very likely to be true, why not make up something more interesting....?

In reply to #25

12/04/2012 1:49 PM

Why would we want to say that?

I mean if we are going to agree to say something that cannot be verified and is not very likely to be true, why not make up something more interesting....?

Like I said, I felt it could be slanted. I'm sure you missed that.

The discussion Don't miss that word 'discussion' Went on for over an hour, of which numeruous things were covered, and it tied into other classes, whether it was biology of each individual and its tolerance of say smoking, where it compared to people brothers actually comes to mind where one was a heavy smoker and was very healthy, still living at the age of 86, while the other had a very healthy life style, nonsmoker and died at the age of 56 with lung cancer. Sure he could have inhaled some type of fumes.

Considering the thread, It was just some interesting tidbits, if you want to tear it apart. go nuts.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 936
In reply to #25

12/04/2012 1:53 PM

Because making up something that's really interesting can get you locked up if you're not really careful.

Did I tell you about the Brooklyn Bridge toll booth time share opportunity you can buy into. Oops got to run. The commercial space police are here.

In reply to #28

12/05/2012 8:53 AM

any relation.

It may be false, but THAT still would fall under things interesting for TINAC's criteria.

In reply to #53

12/05/2012 9:32 PM

Now isn't that better than being certain you got cancer from smoking one cigarette decades in the past?

In reply to #60

12/06/2012 7:28 AM

Of course it is, I have to stop repeating what I hear............ tomorrow.

Good Answers: 35
In reply to #25

12/05/2012 11:10 AM

I think maybe a better comparison would be asbestos exposure.

And even if there are cases of a disease being caused by the exposure, doesn't mean you will come down with the disease if exposed.

Some people are more susceptible than others. Like coal miners, some miners get black lungs disease but not all coal miners get it. Even cinnabar mining. Some miners get mercury poisoning but not all the miners get it.

In reply to #56

12/05/2012 11:41 AM

Yes, asbestos, that is a better example and is more traceable. I realize that I did not go into detail, which was my mistake where I left it to others to use some imagination like yourself to visualize and actually add more tangible input. Thanks.

The discussion was hypothetical, with no real references, but items were discussed like I laid out earlier and the topic got legs and started running. Just like this post.

One just needed some imagination. And the topics varied, one of which is what I posted earlier about the Delaney Clause, which by the way is difficult to enforce.

When you mentioned Mercury poisoning, The other was actually lead poison, where its easier to trace, but like heavy metals, this is difficult to have a tolerance against between individuals.

12/04/2012 11:16 AM

You would very likely not be popular in the kitchen for a while due to the smell; as far as toxicity a large concern with hydrocarbons is usually chemical pneumonitas due to aspiration of liquid into the lungs, which is why most retail packages say "DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING". In this case you would strictly be dealing with low to mid fraction hydrocarbon poisoning, which largely involves the nervous system.

You would need to check the MSDS for WD-40 to be sure of the toxicity.I would imagine that you will probably find the pizza tastes so lousy it won't be a problem. Not offering to find out though.

Register to Reply
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Biomedical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member

12/04/2012 11:16 AM

As my daughter said - random thoughts! Found a MSDS for WD-40

Ingestion: This product has low oral toxicity. Swallowing may cause gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. This product is an aspiration hazard. If swallowed, can enter the lungs and may cause chemical pneumonitis, severe lung damage and death.

Of course, would not want to try it....It was a joke!!!!!!

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 282
In reply to #5

12/04/2012 11:30 AM

The MSDS is hauntingly familiar to holiday dinner at the ex-mother-in-law house. Tums and Rolaids used as after dinner mints. Ah, the memories.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 177
In reply to #12

12/04/2012 10:05 PM

You too doorman? Must be an X-mother-in-law thing!

In my case it was food poisoning one Christmas evening.

LOL

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 30
In reply to #38

12/04/2012 10:18 PM

CaptMoosie:

• Caesar: "Veni, Vidi, Vici"

• Me: "Wine, Women, Woes"

WD40 = "PAM" for the oil pan!

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #39

12/05/2012 6:59 AM

"WD40 = "PAM" for the oil pan!"

AND, believe it or not, for Osteoarthritic elbows! I don't know the REALLY long term effects, but for about 20 years ago, for a period of about 3 years my elbows were giving me such fits in winter that you could hear them from 10 feet away on the bus I rode to work. When I got to work, I had one of my co-workers (I couldn't bend my elbows far enough to do this myself) spray WD-40 on my elbows. I rubbed it in, waited about 5 minutes, and everything ran smoothly for the rest of the day.

Quit the process when I no longer needed it, left that job, moved on, and haven't had a problem with them since.

Something to do with Di-Methyl-Sulfoxide, I understand. A friend told me his chiropractor gave it to him in concentrated form to use on his joints, and it worked. Wouldn't want to ingest it in any form though. Can't imagine what it would do in large medicinal amounts internally.

Good Answers: 13
In reply to #46

12/07/2012 3:21 PM

DMSO its LD50 says it is less toxic than asparin.

It causes things to pass through cell walls like water through a sieve. This means it will carry things through your skin...used in drug delivery like nicotine patches. It is used in scar removal ointments. Can be purchased at healt food and drug establishments. Not FDA approved...no money in it as it is a byproduct of the paper industry. Dr's use it in cancer treatment as it reduces the amount of the toxic drugs necessesary to achieve an effect, and in arthritis treatment it helps your body heal. Also used as a horse linement for treating lameness and available at farm suppliers.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #62

12/07/2012 4:46 PM

It causes things to pass through cell walls like water through a sieve.

osmosis

In reply to #62

12/10/2012 4:41 PM

Oddly, when people apply DSMO topically, shortly thereafter their breath smells like garlic....

...as if they had ingested tellurium or selenium.....or a lot of garlic.

Good Answers: 13
In reply to #64

12/10/2012 11:04 PM

I take about 1/2 tsp orally w/abt 2oz juice followed by16 oz water as a chaser after my vitamins. You're right, I don't notice it but a teller behind a glass said "you're taking dmso? It's part of my dad's cancer treatment" I guess the aroma is in the air you exhale, and can be rather potent. I've also been told it's kind of like corn aroma. There's a book 'DMSO Nature's Healer', can't remember the author.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #5

12/05/2012 12:55 AM

Following up on the good reply from Sid Sidow's, here is a comment in the same light. I would place foreign food substances into a number of categories that range in their effect on the consumer (of food & drink). These are just a few categories and my comments are general:

a) Toxic (these may lead damage of a serious and/or permanent nature and even can even be fatal).

b) Irritants (can cause physical or chemical damage).

c) Bad effects on Diet (may be detrimental to diet or may interfere metabolism).

(a) and (b) should never be allowed (by food regulating authorities) to be passed or to be sold freely. (c) if sold, there should be warnings on labels or, in specific dietary cases, there should be literature available to the public.

The warning on the product in discussion appears to be dubious and may even have an negative effect on its marketing. Quite a stupid marketing move if the additive/ aid happens to be harmless. If it is harmful in any way, the manufacturers should be sued or taken to task.

Anonymous Poster #2
In reply to #44

12/05/2012 1:56 AM

(a) and (b) should never be allowed ..........to be passed ......LOL !!

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #44

12/05/2012 8:41 AM

PLEASE DON"T TALK ABOUT THESE ISSUES!!! Can you imagine if an FDA regulator who had indigestion from his mother-in-law's five-alarm chili started writing regulations regarding "toxic" or "irritant" substances? Besides EVERYTHING is damaging or even lethal at "excessive" concentrations -- even water.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #52

12/05/2012 8:55 AM
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

12/04/2012 11:21 AM

Why do you ask us?

Look up the MSDS for WD-40. This is not a food grade product.

In reply to #8

12/04/2012 11:23 AM

Are you sure?

From Yahoo questions:

Can you use WD-40 to cook with?

ive been usin WD-40 for years to make my egg and bacon breakfast. it gives it the extra kick that no other oils can. people keep tellin me, Tsil, your gonna eat so much WD-40 that water isnt gonna stick to you anymore. does anyone know why someone would tell me this? people try and tell me WD-40 isnt made for cookin but it was over 40 uses. i think cooking is probably one of em.

(I'm 99% sure this is supposed to be a joke)

In reply to #8

12/04/2012 4:54 PM

Just for a humorous conversation..............

I already looked at MSDS (see above). ss

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #33

12/04/2012 5:24 PM

And if you take a look at the non-volatile content of the product, you'll see that there won't be anything left after 20minutes at 400°F, except the .0000001mg I mentioned earlier.

Register to Reply
Guru

12/04/2012 12:07 PM

This is interesting. Not really related, but on the lines. (Pesticides is a petroleum product)

Good Answers: 206

12/04/2012 12:19 PM

If it said "instant death if you eat this", would you risk it? it's labeled for a reason, don't be an airhead

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

12/04/2012 12:20 PM

It's like they always say:

"What doesn't kill you...

..usually succeeds in a second attempt."

In reply to #15

12/04/2012 12:25 PM

And if the label states "If ingested it may cause Explosive Diarrhea".

I never once wondered or questioned it, if that was true to try it!

In reply to #15

12/04/2012 12:31 PM

I'll reference Redfred's comment about food grade in #8.

Food grade is a lousy way to base an estimation of toxicity. It's simply a measure of purity & traceability of a material that has been approved for certain food uses at certain maximum %'s.

So don't be too hard on Sid for a suggestion that would be more likely to cause chronic effects than a suitable dose of say calcium hydroxide (whoops, no more Doritos!) which would finish you off quicker due to acute effects.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #14

12/04/2012 1:13 PM

btw...........WD stands for "water displacement formula(just a lil trivia

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #20

12/04/2012 1:19 PM

And the '40' stands for 40 try's before they got it right.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #21

12/04/2012 4:43 PM

try's tries

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

12/04/2012 12:29 PM

Just wondering how your going to keep the oven door on? May not get a chance to eat the first one before it kills you. KABOOM

Good Answers: 86

12/04/2012 12:36 PM

Don't know If you'll die, but you will propably have to deal with one very slippery, rust-free, super fast sh*t. S.M.

United States - Member - USA! Hobbies - Musician - Sound Man Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - More than a Hobby Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 99

12/04/2012 1:40 PM

A old buddy of mine uses WD-40 on his cuts & scrapes, and claims they heal faster with it than without...

Personally, I'll stick to the triple antibiotic and a band-aid for mine.

He also enjoy's mustard on his Oreo's.. strange fellow.

-R

In reply to #22

12/04/2012 1:43 PM

"mustard on his Oreo's"

Unlike WD-40 on a pizza, this actually intrigues me to the point of trying it out.

In reply to #23

12/04/2012 1:46 PM

Mustard on Oreos.... is somebody pregnant?

United States - Member - USA! Hobbies - Musician - Sound Man Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - More than a Hobby Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 99
In reply to #23

12/04/2012 1:48 PM

I never have... you'll have to let me know how it is...

-R

12/04/2012 3:57 PM

I'm sur it would be safe assuming you made the dough with bearing grease

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 105

12/04/2012 4:00 PM

I have tried WD-40 as a mosquito repellent; seems to work with no ill effects.

Location: Commissariat de Police, Nouvions, occupied France, 1942.
Good Answers: 76

12/04/2012 4:45 PM

It is highly flammable. I've seen some Nazi use it as a flamethrower - straight from the can, so I'm not sure why you would want to cook with it, Guv!

In reply to #32

12/04/2012 5:09 PM

I wish you would have posted sooner before I made pizza..........

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

In reply to #32

12/05/2012 7:27 AM

It ISN'T highly flammable (don't ask me how I know, and I won't have to make up any lies to stay out of jail for offenses in my youth ), but it creates swarms of highly nauseous fumes, with irritant effect on the nasal passages. We used it in the Navy on some of our teletype equipment, before thorough cleaning and rebuilds, but during down times we tried things like the "home made flamethrower". I can tell you it a)does not flame back into the can, b) does NOT sustain a flame c) does make a credible chemical warfare fog (at least as far as watery eyes and running snot-boxes go, anyway).

I wonder what the "NAZI" to whom you refer was really using, or whether he (SHE?) really got any useful "flamethrower function" out of it?

In reply to #47

12/05/2012 7:29 AM

Oh, wait. Were you talking about the PIZZA being highly flammable? ....No, you said "straight out of the can ...."

Hmm, pizza comes in cans? Who knew? What next?

Good Answers: 115

12/04/2012 5:15 PM

A recent consumer programme on telly did a survey of pizza places in one UK town. All the orders were for pizza with ham in it. In 9/10 samples, the ham was some form of reprocessed chicken gunk. Makes you wonder where they might cut corners elsewhere. WD40 would be too expensive, but I'll bet there is some other nasty alternative they can use to save money.

It might be safe if you glug a pint of barrier cream first, but I wouldn't advise anyone to do so. Small children please take note - I am joking !!

In reply to #35

12/04/2012 5:57 PM

Has an instant offect of death on wasp and their nest, Just saying

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #37

12/05/2012 7:32 AM

Probably dissolves the Chitin in their shells. One of the marvelous effects of DMSO is it's ability to break down complex chemical compounds, even so far as dissolving the bonds holding certain oxides together.

12/04/2012 11:18 PM

NO~not for injesting~but it cleans the fine mesh of a coffee-plunger,remarkably well,with no 'aftertaste' after a water wash!

As a sailor my phone gets corrosion of the contacts,WD fixed this.Recently my old I-phone#3 started 'dying', a good squirt in all orifices except the microphones has revitalised it about ten times;finally the screen is showing a smudged patch,works though!

~"We learn to do something by doing it.There is no other way." ~John Holt [Educator]

New Zealand - Member - Member Australia - Member - Member

Good Answers: 43

12/05/2012 12:00 AM

It might not do much for your smile but it will stop your nuts from going rusty !

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 9

12/05/2012 12:44 AM

My former father in law had rheumatism in one of his knees. He continually sprayed the bad knee with WD-40, saying it relieved the discomfort.

After a matter of years, I'm guessing 10 to 15, he developed some type of cancer in that local area. The doctors gave him the option of amputating the leg or dying of cancer. He chose the latter.

To my knowledge, the cancerous growth was not directly contributed to the spraying of WD-40 by the coroners office or medical official, but it sure raised concerns about the the direct contact of WD-40 with the human anatomy.

From that point forward, I always wore PPE when ever spraying WD-40 in any volume or in any type of confined space. True story!!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #42

12/05/2012 7:36 AM

"After a matter of years, I'm guessing 10 to 15, he developed some type of cancer in that local area."

Thanks for THAT! See my post 46 above. I'll have to watch out for cancer in my elbows, now. But it's already been more than 20 years, and I'm OK for now, for now, for now, well, except for this twitch in my typing fingers.

Good Answers: 4

12/05/2012 12:45 AM

I'm curious about the part where you say its all absorbed in the crust. Isn't the part you eat? Seriously look at the MSDS. Small amounts of toxic chemicals will kill you. If they don't they will just give you cancer.

Register to Reply
Power-User

12/05/2012 8:10 AM

Originally WD-40 was developed from fish oil as a Water Displacement tool. Hence the WD. The 40th try at a formula did the trick. That's the folklore, anyway.

Register to Reply
Guru

12/05/2012 10:49 AM

WD-40 has a reputation for being good for everything from priming a carburetor to penetrating seized bolts and quick local lubricant.

I'm not surprised with the question "Is it safe?"

Rather than "Are you crazy?"

In reply to #55

12/05/2012 4:22 PM

In the Ozarks it's considered a sex aid. Just kidding!

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #58

12/05/2012 6:22 PM

Well I always take a can of WD-40 with me when I go into the bathroom with a magaz...Oh never mind.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

70AARCuda (1); Anonymous Poster (2); AussieBob (1); BJInvention (1); CaptMoosie (1); Crabtree (1); Davesets (1); Doorman (1); evaluator (1); Fredski (3); geekish (1); geraldpaxton (2); Janissaries (3); JNB (3); johnnyb5 (1); Kris (1); lyn (2); Mag (1); micahd02 (5); Mizuti (5); MkSteel (1); ozzb (1); phoenix911 (13); redfred (3); ronseto (1); RVZ717 (2); Sid_Sidow (2); SimpleMind (1); TONY NELSON (1); truth is not a compromise (3)

Previous in Forum: Vertical Centrifugal: Low Efficiency and High Motor Current Problem   Next in Forum: Clarity Analyser

Advertisement