Previous in Forum: Alternate Energy Storage   Next in Forum: This list of tool names came in my email
Close
Close
Close
17 comments
Participant

What's the best way to find duplicate keys?

05/23/2007 9:41 AM

I just recently bought Toyota, Camry 2007 from Toyota dealer with about 10,000 miles. I asked dealer/sales person to give me two keys, they said they have only one smart key for it. At the time of sale of this car they said to get another smart key from dealer it would cost me $200.00 Then own my own I checked with another Toyota dealer in a nearby town, this dealer's parts dept rep told me smart key for Toyota camry 2007 will cost $230 for the HW and $55.00 to program it, so total cost of $285.00. I tried again three weeks later from the parts department of the same dealer, where i bought this car from, they told me now smart key for the car will cost me $400.00 Please tell me if this smart key is availbale from another source and what is the fair market price for it?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Canada - Member - Our strength is our diversity

Good Answers: 40

Re: What's the best way to find duplicate keys?

05/23/2007 10:32 AM

First I would go to the toyota dealer and demand the other key that they are holding. If the vehicle has only had 10,000 km it was probably a lease. For leases, some dealers give the leasee a key and keep the other. For the car to be returned, they almost definitely had both keys. The factories always distribute two keys. for only 10,000km there should be still a warranty. If they don't help contact and complain to toyota head office.

Unfortunately you have answered your own question. The smart keys are manufactured at the factory and are contracted to the dealers to distribute. There should be no other source of this key. The original owner should have been distributed 2 keys so either the original owner has the key or the dealer has the other key. (If it was leased, the dealer almost definitely have a second key and is trying to rip you off).

If the second key was lost by the original owner, to get a new key, you will be at the mercy of the dealers. The factories give out a Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) which is typically a mark up of 400 TO 1000%!!! Most dealers will try to sell at this price since all the markup goes to them. The best way to get a fair price is to either shop around as you have started or get an employee to use their discount.

Some unscrupulous dealers have been known to keep the other key for easy reposession of vehicles after missed payments, or even sell the key to auto thieves.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 65
In reply to #1

05/23/2007 3:34 PM

Exactly - I got two smart keys with my Solara. Somebody has your other key.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - United Kingdom - Member - Get things done!

Good Answers: 3

05/23/2007 10:37 AM

That sounds like the going rate on this side of the pond, however, if I was buying the car from them, a spare key would be a minimum requirement. My advice would be to go and ask less politely, at a busy period.

05/23/2007 12:09 PM

i had the same problem with my 04 ford taurus, they had one good key and one with a broken chip-they said it would cost 200 to repair the chip-i sayed screw that at the time but now ive got two cars and it would suck if my wife took the key to both cars in a rush and didnt leave me a key. if anyone knows a better way to get a chip it would help

aparodox2003@yahoo.com

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

05/23/2007 11:38 PM

There are many sources for aftermarket keys. Your best choice would be to go to a locksmith who should be able to make the key for you. He is the same person who makes keys for the dealers who do not want to pay the high cost from the factory. On the other hand,if you bought the car from a reputable dealer he should have given you a second key.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User

05/24/2007 2:02 AM

Well cbob; Fist off must tell you that if you don't think its fair; you are correct. You could go about finding answer one of two ways. 1. Keep up your effort to find a civil answer to something that only boils down to the fact that the dealer has more money than you, or. Covertley trick them in to getting your way. ( This way I am sure is in no way endorsed by CR4 but it is legal non-the-less.... Take the following steps. 1. Write a letter to the dealers service center and the Toyota from anyone that isn't you. Explain to them that you are considering buying a vehicle from a local Toyota dealer for your mother and you don't understand what it is meant by a 'Smart key'? What if she losses it?, can she ever get another?' How do I know if someone else doesn't have one if I decide to go withe a more expensive but used Toyota?" Then end it by saying, I'm going out of town for two weeks so I may not be able to be reached so could you please respond by either voice mail or e-mail to....create a new hotmail address and send it to them. One day later resend it from that made-up address and request a confirmation of receipt as you are really under the gun to get that car by the end of the week. Also say, If I could get another key made up for myslf, how much would it cost or would that just be included as a buying insentive. As you understand I would really need my mom to have a spare and one for here for emergencies." Overall...You build the trap. Let them set the policy. When you get names and thing resent to you, ( actually the made up hot mail and name ).....The answer to your first question upon presenting them with there own noose, is: It costs NOTHING! You watch, they will want to sell the next car, Toyota that is, before they will even think that it is a set-up. Ta-Da! Let us know please anony6664

Australia - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

05/24/2007 2:10 AM

Step 1: Ask politely for another key. As a standard requirement for selling a car would be to furnish two keys.

Step 2; Do you have a Small Claims Tribunal? or Fair Trading Commission? How about a consumer ombudsman? If you threaten them with a legal recourse they will probably come up with the goods.

Contact one of these. Ask them what you are legally able to do. Do your homework. Then threaten them that one of these will be contacting them within the week. Be convincing (take a friend for moral backup, less likely to intimate you if there are witnesses). They know that even if they win it might cost them a lot of money. Do you know any people in a newspaper.? We have a dodgy TV show in Australia called "Today Tonight" thay would love this story. I can just read the headlines now. "Small battler takes on motoring Goliath"

Priceless

If not, Sue them. I'm sure Judge Judy would tear them a new one.

Good Luck

Popular Science - Weaponology - Scapolie, new member.

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #7

05/24/2007 8:17 AM

Hi geomech. Two years ago I bought a SAAB and was given only one key, so I refused to take the car and asked for my money back. This request was ignored, so I went to my local trading standard office and told them, they threatened to sue the company if they did not comply with my wishes. The SAAB dealer then offered me two sets of keys along with my vehicle, needless to say I accepted their offer. Case closed. Spencer.

Register to Reply
Power-User
Australia - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #12

05/24/2007 8:30 PM

Well Done. Car Dealers are just a rung up the evolutionary scale from lawyers and Members of Parliament.

Good on you. That's one for the team.

05/24/2007 7:02 AM

I have not checked this out, but maybe buying a new lock/ignition set would be cost worthy. Try some after market type places that sell OEM parts.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Anonymous Poster

05/24/2007 7:31 AM

Your either, filthy rich and don't mind throwing money back to a dealer to get something that your entiteled to or your just plain stupid. I don't say this to be ugly, I could have used the word ignorant, but some people just are so gullible that they will take for granted whatever is said to them without questioning them. You should go back to the dealer and DEMAND them get you a key or tell them to keep the car, make a scene when there's buyers around to let them know how this dealers treating a customer. If in fact you are filthy rich give that car with one key to charity and go buy you a new car with two key's, but if your really stupid they will probably try to get one over on you again.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 2

05/24/2007 7:33 AM

Have you tried Google or Froogle for a source of a smart key?

05/24/2007 8:10 AM

I bought a used leases car about a year ago and they gave me one key. I asked for a second key and aside from the outrageously long time it took them to "program" the key, they gave me a second key for free. That's because all cars come with two keys. Especially outrageously costly chip keys.

If you lost the key, it would be a different story. You would have to pay the man to get a new one. If car manufacturers want to sell cars that require sophisticated keys, they should be willing to provide two of them to any buyer. Your dealer is trying to screw you. I agree with other posts that you go back and get a second key for free. They owe you two keys, especially if this is necessary to even start the car, regardless of how you enter the vehicle.

One last thought, if I were to loose my key, could I get one made with just the key, without the chip. You shouldn't have to click a code to unlock a car. You should be able put the key in the key hole and turn.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

Good Answers: 18

05/24/2007 8:37 AM

Well, to start with, the dealers are doing nothing more than taking you to the cleaners.

Well equipped locksmiths have aftermarket, programmable key blanks for practically every car sold in the US, and they have the electronic programmers to duplicate them. There's a local locksmith around here who makes them for $25 or less.

Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - United Kingdom - Member - Get things done!

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #13

05/24/2007 9:52 AM

$25? Thats about £12.63, not bad, it costs about £4 for an ordinary key here.

Good Answers: 1

06/15/2007 9:00 AM

I don't know exactly wher you are, but I have gone to a locksmith place named Suburban Locks and they make a smart key for me for about $23 whereas the dealer wants to charge me $40. You may want to check with a locksmith place. Keep in mind through, if the dealer charges you $200 to $400 for a key, chances are the locksmith would not stock such a blank, too expensive for them.

MidniteFighter

07/17/2012 12:31 AM

I come back from the future, with information for those who may read this later in a site search:

1. The dealer does not work on a 400% markup. The "smartkey" is nomenclature for a keyless start. The immobilizer chip is embedded into a remote/fob/prox unit, which acts as an amplifier to get the RFID signal back to the antenna coil in the dash, behind the START button or knob ( Nissan/Infiniti used a knob on some models ). smartentry is a Toyota designation for car recognizing the fob/prox/remote as you approach it, and allows the door to unlock merely by grasping the handle and pressing a small button in the handle.

2. The Prox/Remote/Fob thingie is only available as an OEM component, no aftermarket as far as I know. Some ignitions can work with a traditional looking key with RFID chip in it, by passing the key head across the antenna spot ( near the START pushbutton ). This varies by vehicle year make and model

3. The Price we will be charging, in about 5 years, in 2012 for the 2007 Camry will be 390.00 USD This includes programming to the vehicle.

Locksmiths have been at the forefront of transponder technology in the US since 1996, when the first systems hit the road on this side of the pond. European locksmiths were already old hands at this, since the technology was deployed there years earlier.

I recommend negotiating 4 complete keys and remotes, or prox/remotes ( based on what the car is equipped with ) as a contingency to the purchase.

In most of the US, with exception if some states have statutes requiring dealers deliver with a minimum of two key type devices; used cars are bought "as-is" and without buyer's remorse insurance.

Personally, I would like to see dealer's associations set a baseline standard to supply the car with keys/remotes as the car was originally equipped.

And, now.,..... Back To The Future!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (4); Ashman! (1); bhankiii (1); Bill (1); geomech (2); gwynn156 (1); Jeffrey Rosen (1); joeconed (1); MidniteFighter (1); PlbMak (2); Scapolie (1); techno (1)

Previous in Forum: Alternate Energy Storage   Next in Forum: This list of tool names came in my email
You might be interested in: Smart Cameras, Smart Card Chips

Advertisement