Previous in Forum: Why Couldn't a Laser be Used to Propel a Spacecraft?   Next in Forum: Designer - Small Airplane Where Pilot Laid Prone
Close
Close
Close
21 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 1722

Giant Solar Flare

02/02/2013 1:50 PM

Here's something you don't see everyday.... see video

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 148

Re: Giant Solar Flare

02/02/2013 3:57 PM

Something like that happened to me after eating in a local Mexican restraint the other night

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646
In reply to #1

02/03/2013 8:02 AM

Oh, I doubt that you can really compare the two. Solar flares only reach temperatures of 20 million degrees Kelvin.

Guru

Good Answers: 84
In reply to #4

02/03/2013 11:14 AM

That's all? Kelvin's evidently never been to a Texas chili cookoff. :-))

Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

In reply to #1

02/03/2013 11:11 AM

You mean someone finally opened a Mexican restaurant in Massachusetts whose entrees are spicier than a mashed-potato sammich? Will wonders never cease! :-))

Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #1

02/04/2013 9:36 AM

They have Mexican restraints in New Hampshire? Hmmm....is that like Chinese handcuffs?

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 933

02/02/2013 6:50 PM

The last time I saw something like that was a barbecue grill with a lighter fluid squirt.

Good Answers: 1661

02/02/2013 8:14 PM

Use at your own risk.

Notify your physician immediately, if not sooner.

Report visual anomalies immediately!!!!!!

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Netherlands - Member - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member

Good Answers: 38

02/04/2013 1:55 AM

Sure it is not a solar eagle?

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

02/04/2013 9:42 AM

Solar: are you involved in those images being recorded somehow? Great work if so.

I find that we anthropocentric humans over estimate our contribution to the universe on so many levels....it would how many earths to fill the volume occupied by the sun? 106 is it not? How many to occupy the same space of this solar flare?

Yet we are the cause of the destruction of our own planet. I say not so, not unless we set off all the nuclear material on earth simultaneously.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 933
In reply to #9

02/04/2013 9:55 AM

You are guilty of anthropocentric thinking, too. We are gradually destroying the Earth's ability to support humanity or more specifically today's society. We are not destroying the planet nor are we destroying the planet's ability to support any life.

In reply to #10

02/04/2013 10:06 AM

I don't think we are destroying the ability to support life either. I should have put my remark in quotes... I am not one of the Al Gore Kool-Aid drinkers.

On the contrary, the remarkable advances made in technology will ultimately make it possible to support even more population in the future, without pushing wildlife off the map. I believe the U.S. needs to get over the current political malaise, and get busy with large engineering projects to provide more fresh water to the interior, reuse waste water to produce more agricultural bounty, produce the fuel we can, build the new smaller modular nuclear power plants, etc.

In reply to #11

02/04/2013 11:23 AM

Yeah, threads and cool videos about Giant Solar Flares lead me to the same conclusions too. Hydrology and stuff.

Care for some some of Linda's Legal Lip Remover? Burns twice!

Guru

In reply to #12

02/04/2013 11:50 AM

Is that your wife's special recipe for hot sauce? Did you make her mad or something?

In reply to #13

02/04/2013 11:56 AM

The best Texas chili, bar none. Guaranteed to get your mind off that maudlin OT sh*t and back on Giant Solar Flares, cause you'll think you ate one. Have plenty of beer on hand and, tomorrow? A Giant Sno Cone... if you plan on doin' any sittin' that is.

Guru
Canada - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 30
In reply to #14

02/13/2013 8:16 AM

Johnny Cash wrote a song, while sitting, the day after he visited a Texas chili competition...Burning Ring of Fire.

Good Answers: 1722
In reply to #9

02/04/2013 11:05 PM

No not me, it's the Solar Dynamics Observatory satellite that getting these great shots.....Here's some more info...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/HCINrpedHhNg8

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #18

02/11/2013 8:32 PM

Great views of the Solar Flare.

The climate change is aggravated by human activities that trap the heat under an umbrella of greenhouse effect gases. Thus, the average atmospheric temperature shows an increasing trend year to year. The solar activity flares have effects mainly on electronic devices, especially satellite and terrestrial communications. These flares do not indicate any significant increase in energy released by the Sun which might warm the Earth.

About really hot chili, have any one of you, folks, tried the Habanero chili from Yucatan? It is about 70 to 140 times hotter than jalapeƱo (as measured by the Scoville scale). This is really picante.

Guru

Good Answers: 28

02/04/2013 12:31 PM

Here's something else you don't see every day and it's a lot closer to home.

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/smartnews/2012/09/fire-tornado-fire-devil-whatever-just-look-at-this-swirling-column-of-fire/

Of course it's one thing to see it in the "outback" where it's been so dry lately but you wouldn't want to go to the back door and see it "out back there".

In reply to #15

02/04/2013 12:44 PM

Eucalyptus trees burning, possibly? They burn like all hell has broken loose, according to my friends who live in Oz.

Never seen it myself, up close, but only from about 320 km altitude, via nighttime photography from the ISS:

That circled area is largely uninhabited. 80% of Oz' population lives within 50 km of the coast. The lights seen along the coastlines are cities.

Guru

In reply to #15

02/04/2013 3:09 PM

Pretty much on the list what not to do when engineering combustion, but wow what a sight! We have seen many dust devils in West Texas during late spring - early autumn, but never a fire devil. We do have several range fires each year, seems more now that the government is paying farmers not to plant, and they grow Love grass (a tall spindly species with all the nutrient value of paper) instead. Love grass tends to grow in "clumps" but that has no bearing in slowing down a wildfire. I am not sure if the wildfires at Bastrop, east of Austin, Texas (two summers ago) witnessed any such events, as the fires did go on for days, with the vegetation ranging from oak to pine, to brushy grassland.

Good Answers: 17

02/05/2013 11:34 PM

Hey! Where's the sound???

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Epke (1); europium (5); gringogreg (1); James Stewart (5); lyn (1); OSCAR FRIAS (1); redfred (2); SolarEagle (1); Spinco (1); Steve of the North (1); The.Tinkerer (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Why Couldn't a Laser be Used to Propel a Spacecraft?   Next in Forum: Designer - Small Airplane Where Pilot Laid Prone

Advertisement