Previous in Forum: Best Garden Tools Manufacturers India   Next in Forum: Control Valve Sizing Software
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Participant

Extra Process Adds on Machining Parts

02/24/2013 11:46 AM

What would you guys do or think if a part needs to add on "extra" process by you/machinist such as Stress Relief or Annealing which is not called out on the drawing? The purpose of doing this is just to get it easier for machining.
Should you let your customer know?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 783

Re: Extra process adds on machining parts

02/24/2013 12:39 PM

You could certainly make the suggestion. There might be some other reason to disallow the idea, but if not, the idea could be adopted.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 940

02/24/2013 12:41 PM

It all depends on the relationship between companies. You should definitely notify your immediate superior of your opinion. Your company was contracted to build that part as specified. For all you know these parts may be used to test failure or recovery from not using this step you feel is missing. It could also be that a different finishing step beyond your fabrication capability is required. Also another machining or inspection process might need to be done by a different contractor before the missing finishing process occurs.

Implying that your customer is incompetent is dangerous. They chose your company for a reason. Keep your opinion in house.

Guru

Good Answers: 1666

02/24/2013 12:58 PM

You MUST let the customer know before you do this.

You are performing unauthorized processes not specified in any procurement document, test/inspection document. If you put this step on the part routing sheet, especially since, "The purpose of doing this is just to get it easier for machining" to make it easier for you??

Not knowing the level of quality required, I'd at least ask if heat treating for process enhancment is OK.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

02/24/2013 1:41 PM

I wouldn't think it would matter, as long as the customer is getting exactly what they wanted, in the end.

If you supply the product they asked for, (to spec), it's none of their business how you get it done.

02/24/2013 3:21 PM

Thanks guys.

I would add this question to someone with an engineering/designer knowledge:

Does the annealing change your design (Material SST303)? or

Does the stress relief change your design (Material SST303)?

I know that to other aspects such as size of raw material you start on, size of drill/Emill you use... you don't need to ask or let the customer know. But some other aspects that could make material/design act differently.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 940
In reply to #5

02/24/2013 4:23 PM

Of course annealing and stress relief changes a material. That's why you want to do this. It changes the material so your job is easier. (I sometimes wish I could deliver a digital dope slap.)

You really don't understand the idea of liability issues here, do you. You cannot change fabrication techniques without permission. You will not get that permission here. You will not get an informed analysis from us for two cascading reasons. First, we do not know and I certainly do not want to know all of the details to make an informed analysis. Posting all of the critical details on a public forum is the stupidest form of corporate espionage. Second, at the very least selling a part as made to specification A but actually fabricating to the easier to build specification B is making a counterfeit part. Depending on where this part is used it could also be fraud worthy of jail time. The destruction of your company, your customer's company and your own personal reputation is not worth it.

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918

02/24/2013 3:24 PM

Is your customer driving the requirements?

I'll bet your answer is yes.

Even if your in-house engineering is driving the requirements, wouldn't you notify the cognitive engineer?

In short, yes, you should contact your customer or engineer and determine if your stress relief or annealing process impacts the design.

This assumes that there is nothing specifically noted on the drawings stating that you can or can not perform that process.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 416

02/24/2013 3:41 PM

The costs/savings would have to justified.

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

Re: Extra Process Adds on Machining Parts

02/25/2013 7:30 AM

I think you are wasting time. 303 is working hardening stainless. If you needed it annealed order it that way. All that you should worry about with the customer is the spec for temper. Does it meet that. It may also be that the 303 was order to a certain temper in that the machining process will not get it to that spec from annealed material.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Hero (1); Common_Sense (1); kramarat (1); lyn (1); ozzb (1); phoenix911 (1); redfred (2); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Best Garden Tools Manufacturers India   Next in Forum: Control Valve Sizing Software

Advertisement