Previous in Forum: Reliability   Next in Forum: Secondary Y-ph Earthing of Potential Transformer
Close
Close
Close
49 comments
Associate

Forklift Operators Get Static Shock at Elevator Pendant

04/17/2013 3:09 PM

How do you find the source of static electricity?

Here's the situation:

Our forklift operators can open and close an elevator door by using a pendant control that hangs near the elevator (so they don't have to get off of the lift). Frequently, but not always, the operator will get zapped by electricity as he grabs the control. We have also seen a spark when the pendant control bumps the roll cage as the forklift is driven up to the elevator (before the operator grabs it). It seems to be static electricity because there is just one zap (I suppose it could also be a capacitor discharging?)

Details:

The elevator is big enough to lift/lower 2 forklifts (side by side) with loads. It has one hydraulic cylinder and only goes up/down 1 floor.

Both elevator doors (upstairs & downstairs) have controls on a wall panel and controls hanging from the ceiling on a pendant (just like crane/hoist controls). The upstairs pendant is covered with plastic and rubber with no exposed metal parts. The downstairs pendant is covered with metal. Both pendants will zap a forklift operator.

The forklifts are propane powered, have solid rubber wheels, and ground straps that drag on the floor (some are rubberlike, some are metal chain, some wirelike). Our plant is clean with epoxy covered concrete floors.

The operators say they only get zapped at the elevator (pendants and wall panel controls) and not at other pendants like roll up doors.

I'm trying to figure out what the source is: The epoxy floor, the forklift, faulty controls, hydraulics, etc.

What meters are available to measure static charges?

After I find the source, I should be able to fix this.

Thanks for your help.

Login to Reply
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 809

Re: Forklift operators get static shock at elevator pendant.

04/17/2013 3:42 PM

Increase the humidity in the area.

United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 140
In reply to #1

04/17/2013 10:24 PM

PW, I give you this GA because it is the only answer here that make sense.

To measure electrostatic charges there are special very expensive electrometers.

Victoreen and Keithley made these. Electrostatic charges occur when materials with high specific isolation resistance are used. To pick up some out of the OP's comment:

Dry air, Epoxy floor, Paint on the forklift, dry skin of the driver, cushion of the forklift, your forkflift tires, that for epoxy are also probably of a special material, otherwise they ruin the floor with black tire marks.

You can make a cheap electrometer yourself with a flat glass bottle, a cork, a metal pin as sensor and 2 strips of aluminum foil. the two strips and the sensor go in the botlle and when electrostatic charges occur the 2 alu strips come apart from each other on the free end. Use your imagination or try to find maybe a U tube presentation?

As long as the driver and that handle are not on the same electrostatic charge level there will be a equalisation of the charges, or a discharge.

Note that these charges occurs only on isolators and in dry air. Conductors almost have no electrostatic charges. They can only distribute them.

Other than bringing the charges, or the discharge together through the innocent hand of the dry driver, can be a metalized plastic guirlande, like used on the Christmas three around the neck of the driver, towards his hand.

That way he will not feel it anymore.

Discharging everything to your epoxy floor is also difficult.

You can try to "earth the handle" replace with something non plastic and also the rope.

If it still the same then your floor and air are the culprits.

A synthetic hair poppy is also a good electrometer or the hair on your chest.

Have fun.

United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 140
In reply to #9

04/19/2013 4:04 AM

About five years of my career applied electrostatic charges was my business and my bread. There are many ways to create electrostatic charges and one application was electrostatic copier paper that was used everywhere from the seventies to make foto copies of documents.

Base carrier was high quality paper and as electrostatic isolator zinc oxide was used as coating. Because electrostatic charges do not disperse equally, a conductive layer was coated on the paper, under the zinc oxyde.

The copier machine rubber transportation rolls did not change the charge with contact. Neither did the petroleum based bath where it went through.

We charged also a lot if plastics, epoxies and other isolators. (insulators?)

So what is a technological need in one case, becomes a burden in the other. I gave a list of the build up points. Sometimes it is enough to wash the hands with some methanol alcohol to move the charge to a different place or spread it out. So does any other material that conducts (read transports, because a different isolator will upload also) the charge. If the driver e.g. puts on a metal glove, he will feel the spark where the glove contacts the skin on the arm.

Good Answers: 1671

Re: Forklift Operators Get Static Shock at Elevator Pendant.

04/17/2013 4:14 PM

Put a plastic bag over the control.......or hand

Good Answers: 1659
In reply to #2

04/17/2013 5:17 PM

It'll jump through that like it isn't even there.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #3

04/17/2013 7:53 PM

What about rubber gloves ?

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Netherlands - Member - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member

Good Answers: 38
In reply to #6

04/17/2013 8:44 PM

this works better

In reply to #6

04/17/2013 8:55 PM

How thick?

Login to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #8

04/17/2013 10:44 PM

What would you estimate the electrostatic field strength at ?

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: California, USA, where the Godless live next door to God.
Good Answers: 794

04/17/2013 6:19 PM

Because the fork lift is grounded with straps / chains, most likely the static is in the elevator controls pendant, not the fork lift then. The static charge on the control pendant might be getting created when the elevator control cable rubs on something in the elevator shaft, then is discharging through the operator, to the fork lift, to the ground straps.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 57

04/17/2013 7:00 PM

I think there are devices, old and new, that can show which way the charge is going. Maybe the fork lifts aren't properly discharging through the epoxy. If a person walks up and touches the pendant and gets zapped, there's your culprit.

Good Answers: 59

04/17/2013 10:53 PM

Epoxies are excellent insulators. The triboelectric effect between them and rubber is also excellent. To accentuate your problem, that is.

You may have to upregulate humidity, that may be difficult. Or install ion generators, the type downregulates all kind of static electricity for static sensitive electronic assembly stations. It is standard for them.

Login to Reply
Guru
Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 249

04/17/2013 11:25 PM

The background assumption of static is a good first option and should be fully explored, however there may be another explaination.

Just like you can get zapped getting in and out of a car (even when the car is grounded) the operator cold also get zapped. If they are wearing insulating shoes (sneakers/joggers) and synthetic clothing, then merely the action of moving on a vinyl covered seat could charge them individually. (Your description rules this out as you describe the roll cages also sparking.)

I suspect that even with the usual grounding attempts of chains/wire/conductive rubber that the epoxy floor is the insulating medium and thus the operator and forklift accumulate static until reaching a discharge point. (The lift pendant)

"Step potential" might also be involved but significantly less likely. The mounting point for the pendant might be at a different insulated potential to the floor that the forklifts (and operators) are grounded to providing an apparent static shock. The movement of one set of wheels onto the lift platform might bring another static potetnial into play relative to the pendant and the normal floor.

04/18/2013 1:34 AM

My car zaps me when I get out of it. How about changing the trigger for the lift, maybe a rubber hose on the floor, like the bell ringer from the old gas stations, for old tech, or a high tech proximity switch or an optical switch the operator waves his hand through. Take the static problem out of the picture.

My sister tells me to put a safety pin on the cuff of my pants to ground me to keep the car from zapping me. I'll have to try that!

In reply to #13

04/18/2013 2:08 AM

The secret to not getting zapped when getting out of a car is very simple and failsafe.

The static is usually from your pants rubbing on the seat as you rotate to leave the car, then placing your insulated feet on the ground and then reaching to the door to close it.

The solution is to ALWAYS grab the door frame before touching the ground. This brings you and the car body to the same potential and then when your feet touch the ground the static is discharged from the surface of your shoes (You don't feel a thing).

Spent 26 years in automotive industry. It's absolutely worst thing with brand new cars as they roll off the line and you drive them to the storage/shipping lots.

I also had troubles with carpet floors and my shoulder zapping the steel cover strips on external corners of sheetrock walls.

On the up side, I printed my thesis at Uni using static from the carpet floor to trigger the coin slot detection in the copiers.

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #13

04/18/2013 2:31 AM

Just guessing , I have no idea about your plant layout.

Locate a mobile grounded metal brush on a flexible lever, near the elevator door, as the car goes near it , it will discharge.

Maybe to touch it by the car, bottom or both side .

Or a grounded metal strip at the floor , and a conductive rubber in the car.

You can locate the strip , under a thin epoxi cover , so the carĀ“s braking will not move it , and make a good foundation to the concrete floor.

Is corrosion is a fact , use Stain less steel. AISI 416 or any suited to your invorement.

The same rubber conducting strip used on family cars.

Good Answers: 47
In reply to #13

04/18/2013 2:37 AM

Rub a dryer sheet on the seat of the car. Fabric softener is a great anti static material and a dryer sheet is very available. I have used them in the office to help keep from zapping the computers. Modern fabric chairs and clothing create big voltages and fabric softener keeps them from doing so.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 661

04/18/2013 2:55 AM

The operators say they only get zapped at the elevator (pendants and wall panel controls)
Surely it's easy enought to ground the wall panel control (or check it is grounded).
Everyone seems to be missing that it could be the operators who are building up the static charge rather than the equipment?
Or am I too far out of the box?

Del

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
In reply to #17

04/18/2013 3:16 AM

Why has that box got two phono plug connections?

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #19

04/18/2013 3:42 AM

More interesting, is it AC or DC ? In my experience AC works better for cats (it's just the hilarity factor of watching them jump up and down). At a rough guess, that 5V - not nearly enough

In reply to #19

04/18/2013 3:57 AM

Stereo...
Del
(IBE... in box entertainment)

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Netherlands - Member - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member

Good Answers: 38
In reply to #22

04/18/2013 4:11 AM

Or is it a Catstatic Battery?

In reply to #22

04/18/2013 5:42 AM

So long as it's not a cat's whisker radio connection, that's OK.

In reply to #25

04/18/2013 6:56 AM

I thought it too funny (threre but for the grace......). Sorry, but nobody so far has got the gag. All said, some most excellent comments, I can't but help chuckle when I see a fuuny. My own fox pas are may more

Good Answers: 37

04/18/2013 3:11 AM

As already noted, epoxies are generally very good insulators. This means that your dragging chain has no ground to discharge into. Static-dissipating floor coverings are available; any supplier of industrial floor coatings should be aware of them, and able to supply them. Even if you only repaint the area where the forklifts are when the operator reaches for the pendant - and provide a ground that makes contact with the paint patch - the problem should go away. I worked in a facility building medical electronics, and every floor covering in our building was made to dissipate static charges.

Just for grins: could you spray the pendant cord with anti-static fabric spray, all the way up to where grounded metal is part of its support? You might even run a bare copper wire down alongside the pendant cord, grounded up top, and making contact with the fabric spray for most of the length. End the bare wire above the operator's reach, and sheath it with, say, electrical tape for a foot or two above that point.

Good Answers: 272
In reply to #18

04/18/2013 4:44 AM

Even if you only repaint the area where the forklifts are when the operator reaches for the pendant

GA

To try out this solution tape a piece of grounded aluminium foil to the floor under the point where the grounding straps touch.

04/18/2013 3:49 AM

When you get the answer, I'd like to know so that I can tell my local supermarket. Whenever I use a trolley, rather than a hand-basket, I seem to get zapped if I touch one of the cabinets. Maybe I shouldn't rush thru the place too fast. I did try dragging a length of chain from my tail, but stopped because I was getting funny looks from people.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Hmmm...

Good Answers: 29
In reply to #21

04/18/2013 7:43 AM

You mean you don't get funny looks from people when you don't drag a chain from your tail?!

Login to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #28

04/18/2013 8:50 AM

Yes, I get funny looks all the time. My current annoyance is lack of avocado in the shops - if I can't get a bacon and avocado sarnie soon, I will go ape.

Many have tried to tug my tail, but few succeeded

In reply to #21

04/18/2013 7:49 AM
Guru
United States - Member - Born, raised halfway 'round .....

Good Answers: 24

04/18/2013 7:41 AM

Installing and using a remote controller similar to a remote garage door opener to parallel the function of a hanging pendant control! No shock can be felt, it is safe and low cost approach to solve the problem..

Conductive flooring materials as a path for static discharges is very cost prohibitive to install, besides the continued monitoring and maintenance requirements to be effective..

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Hmmm...

Good Answers: 29

04/18/2013 7:49 AM

Are you sure it's static? Have you opened the pendant to be sure there are no bare wires inside? the control box as well?

Is the pendant grounded to the control box into which it is connected? Is the control box properly grounded?

Login to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 9

Re: Forklift Operators Get Static Shock at Elevator Pendant

04/18/2013 9:39 AM

We never had a static problem for 15 years at our plant. Then we did a up grade of the floors, went with a nice pale gray epoxie. It was awesome for keeping the place clean.

But the forklifts were marking it up terribly,

so our forklift leasing company suggested non marking tires, (They are a pale tan color)

It worked, no more black marks, but the end of first day after the swap there wasn't a scale in the plant still functioning!

There were 20 or so small 4 foot square platform scales with load cells, and are constantly weighing skids from the production areas.

The tan tires were not only non marking, but also non conducting I guess no carbon black?

well by the time we discovered what was happening all by accident, a supervisor came up to one of the fork lifts telling them the scale they were headed towards is broke and where to go, when he approached as usual they kinda grabbed the safety cage, and a lightning bolt went through him, he actually got laid out on the floor the voltage was sooo high.

Later testing with a static meter the voltage was several MEGA volts, yes not kilo volts but mega volts.

The cure was a agressive set of rubber and actual copper grounding straps and woven braid copper straps to help drain the static, and even that because of the i guess the epoxie floor diddn't drain the greatest. for if someone would be moving quickly as usual, and weighed something right away they still would kill the scale. it takes a few seconds for it to drain.

so a policy was made to weigh something they had to aproach the scale then stop and count to ten before placing the load on it.

Joe

----

IDLE-TYME

The Original Rolling Ball Clock

http://www.idle-tyme.com

Login to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

Good Answers: 92
In reply to #32

04/23/2013 12:21 PM

Sounds familiar; packaging powdered products into poly or plastic lined drums in the winter is another scale killer. We just punched in a ground rod and hooked up the scale bases- that way it tends to miss the load cells etc., as long as the connections are kept clean. This can be a big problem in an EX rated location!

Login to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 69
In reply to #48

08/17/2017 4:05 AM

"This can be a big problem in an EX rated location!"

Neither one one of my "EX's" wasn't very well grounded, one little spark from me and they would explode

04/18/2013 3:59 PM

At the toll booth for our bridge were metal springy rods that contacted every car and truck passing through. That way the toll collector didn't get zapped when he collected the toll. These could be retro-fitted into the factory floor, with a nice ground rod to insure a good discharge, all in the same installation hole.

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
Good Answers: 122

04/18/2013 4:20 PM

Install a flat metal bar stock ground plate in front of the elevator that is bonded to the elevator structure and is common attached/bonded to the pendat.

Attach a braided, trailing ground to the forklift body that will contact the ground plate before the lift reaches the stopping location.

Install a metal ground that contacts the forklift operator while they are sitting on the seat.

This will help decrease if not eliminate the buildup.

04/18/2013 4:56 PM

I realize that, true to form, the person asking for help neglected to give a location, but, I think that the first response #1, is the simplest, cheapest, easiest thing to try.

If that doesn't work, there's a short somewhere and it will have to be lengthened.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #35

04/19/2013 2:44 AM

Yup, pissing on the floor is cheap...
Del

In reply to #37

04/19/2013 10:38 AM

And saves operators the bother of walking to the bathroom.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #35

04/19/2013 3:07 AM

The original post contains an indication that this is NOT the answer: "The operators say they only get zapped at the elevator (pendants and wall panel controls) and not at other pendants like roll up doors." It seem highly improbable that the relative humidity differs so drastically from point-to-point in the plant that some pendants are always OK, and specific other ones are not . . .Even if some weather conditions or other factors influenced the RH values, it's hard to see how one area would CONSISTENTLY be so low as to provoke discharges,and all of the other areas would always have higher RH, so much different that static discharges never occur.

To me, that suggests that there's a difference in the conductivity of the floor in those areas just in front of the elevator on both floors.

In reply to #38

04/19/2013 6:58 AM

Our plant is in southeastern Ohio.

There is only one climate controlled room with low humidity and it is not near the elevator, nor does this room have a problem with static electricity.

We do try to keep the plant between 70 and 74 deg F. year round.

Login to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - Born, raised halfway 'round .....

Good Answers: 24
In reply to #38

04/19/2013 9:12 AM

It is possible that difference in floor conductivity may be what is causing the static shock problem.. But to correct that by installing Conductive flooring materials onto the immediate area of the elevator, as a static discharge path is going to be a very cost prohibitive. Beside the initial installation costs, there is also the added costs for the continued monitoring and maintenance requirements, just to ensure effectiveness of such solution..

In reply to #42

04/19/2013 10:31 AM

"Instal" (conductive flooring) = "paint, and run a wire in a very shallow groove off to a decent ground." Think: one man, half a day, 1 gallon of paint. "Maintain, monitor" = the operators will tell you if it starts happening again. Someone suggested taping down a sheet of aluminum foil, grounded, to test; that ought to be even quicker - and the plant could leave one level as-is, for direct comparison testing, maybe get fancy and reverse which is grounded and which not, for higher confidence factor. We're talking what, $10 in materials? And the ground wire could be used again elsewhere. or left in place for the floor painting. For permanent installation, run a Skilsaw (r) across the space, with a carbide blade set 1/16th inch deep for grooving. Or wait & do it next time that the floor needs re-coating, and use a ribbon conductor.

I'd give you static about projecting your idea of what is cost-prohibitive onto troyalec, but I'm feeling mellow, so, no charge.

04/18/2013 7:26 PM

You could outfit your drivers with these snazzy static eliminator watches...

Good Answers: 3

04/19/2013 8:48 AM

Until you find the source can you install a call chain from the pendant to a location where it would drag on the tow motors charge and equalize any charge? I don't know if sparks are allowed in the area but if everything is at the same voltage at least the operators will stop that funny twitch they developed.

On the other hand if the tow-motors are insulated from the floor you may be building a motorized version of a Kelvin Water Drop generator and charging the tow-motors up to a very high voltage. That in its self would be pretty interesting to try, if the operators hair starts to stick straight out you maybe on track to reducing your electric bill. Let me know if that works.

I tried some "static" testing with my cat and a balloon. I can get the balloon to stick to the wall but the cat keeps falling off. Hey Del do I need a long hair cat for this test?

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #41

04/20/2013 7:50 AM

Not necessarily....

In reply to #45

04/22/2013 1:05 PM

Will some member of ASPCA please sharpen this cat's claws?

04/22/2013 5:35 PM

If it is the insulating floor, then there are "dissipative" cleaning materials that can be used without modification of the floor. They are used in electronics manufacturing facilities and the like since they don't want insulating wax layers on the floors.

Look up ESD protective surfaces and you will find the cleaning products necessary. They are not expensive and they do work.

If you want to get scientific about it there are ways to test the dissipative properties of the floor to confirm your diagnosis.

By the way, the earlier picture of the cat with styrene attachments would have made a good "caption this" with answers like "preparing for climate change, this cat has increased insulation properties" and so on.

Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Deefburger (1); Del the cat (3); devitg (1); dj95401 (1); dvmdsc (2); Epke (2); JNB (1); JRaef (1); Just an Engineer (3); Kris (4); leveles (1); Lo_Volt (2); lyn (4); mike k (3); NSS (1); peteolsen (1); PWSlack (3); Randall (1); Ron (3); SHOCKHISCAN (1); SolarEagle (6); TommyTech (1); troyalec (1); vsar (2)

Previous in Forum: Reliability   Next in Forum: Secondary Y-ph Earthing of Potential Transformer

Advertisement