Previous in Forum: Image Decomposition   Next in Forum: Choosing a Fuse
Close
Close
Close
14 comments
Associate

Spoiled Radio is Spoiled Again, Need Help!

05/02/2013 11:20 PM

A friend of mine let me fix his radio. I'm an newbie and he said that theres no need to pressure and that i can hold on to it as long as i can. The problem is that, the radio turns on, but no audio output and automatically goes to standby mode. I've located the problem where one of the relay coil wasnt properly energized, the circuit breaks immediately. SO i set out to find the source of the voltage and in hopes i could find the capacitor that might have been faulty.

Unfortunately i mistakenly touch the ends of an amplifying IC D1266 with my multimeter while the power is on. Now the radio couldn't even start.

Now i have no idea how to fix this. Is there anyone out there that could help?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1728

Re: Spoiled radio is spoiled again, need help!

05/03/2013 12:21 AM

Get a schematic from the manufacturer and troubleshoot the circuit....or look for a cheap replacement....

Search for wisdom....

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 818

Re: Spoiled radio is spoiled again, need help!

05/03/2013 3:25 AM

It sounds as though replacing the D1266 is the first step.

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

Re: Spoiled Radio is Spoiled Again, Need Help!

05/03/2013 9:35 AM
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646
In reply to #3

05/03/2013 9:38 AM

I off-topic'd this myself, due to words in the flowchart some might find objectionable.

Good Answers: 1662

05/03/2013 9:43 AM

If I were you, I'd come to grips with the fact that you are lost beyond hope here, and take the radio to a service tech and get it fixed properly.

Then in the future, don't let your alligator mouth overload your hummingbird a$$.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 57
In reply to #5

05/03/2013 7:43 PM

OP sounds a lot like me, trying something new. My advice to him is to find night school classes on electronics. I tried to home-school myself on the subject, no joy. I learned a lot, but mostly I learned that electronics is a very deep well.

I have found that googling the device and the problem will get you to some good help sites. It takes a few tries to phrase the question correctly, but I've gotten good help on the internet.

Also, the OP better be ready to spend some bucks on fancy testers. Collecting them can be addictive, though.

05/03/2013 10:25 PM

CR4 Admin: Spam: This post was modified because it contained advertising outside the Commercial Space forum. Please review Section 14 of the CR4 Site FAQ about advertising.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Participant

05/04/2013 3:47 AM

Might sound obvious, but did u look for fuses, or fusible link, and or burnt resistor,trace, diode, voltage regulator etc. Most likely took out something feeding D1266, but u will need schematic. Sam's Photofact out of Indianapolis, In. used to supply schematics for about everything, but haven't needed one for quite awhile and don't know if they are still in business. Try manufacturerer also. Have fun!

Register to Reply
Power-User
United Kingdom - Member - Hobbies - HAM Radio - G7TSP Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering -

Good Answers: 1

05/04/2013 6:22 AM

The simplest method:

Is the D1266 definately an IC and not a transistor?

If so, download Datasheet for D1266, check for correct Vsupply and connect tone generator @1KHz to input of pre-amp circuit and look for this on the input of D1266 with an oscilloscope, if present check Output pin, if not present, replace D1266.

Register to Reply
Power-User
United Kingdom - Member - Hobbies - HAM Radio - G7TSP Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering -

In reply to #9

05/04/2013 6:30 AM

Having searched for datasheet it's looking more likely you are talking of a transistor. You will have to find a multimeter with diode test function and check the junctions of the device after removing it from the circuit.

Register to Reply
Associate

05/04/2013 10:37 AM

First search on Google for a schematic of the radio you are attempting to fix

Second after you get the schematic in your mind follow the radio signal from the antenna to the speaker and ask your self "Do you understand what is happening at each component the signal passes through?".

If you do then you will be able to find the problem and fix it. If you do not then you have two choices

1) Learn how all the components work in a radio. This will take a lot of study and time

or

2) Take it to a repair shop.

I have been fixing radios and electroincs since 1940.

good luck

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Associate

05/05/2013 6:28 PM

I used to do that kind of thing often

And I had friends who were silly enough to let me learn on their gear.

Finding a circuit for the radio is highly unlikely (though sometimes you can get lucky)

Youve got yourself in a pickle as you have now introduced an extra fault in addition to the original fault - 2 faults are harder to fix than one - but if you have the patience and an eye for detail and plenty of time Im sure all is not lost.

1. Whats the brand and model of the radio - perhaps perhaps we can collectively source a Circuit - Which will make life a lot easier

2. If a circuit cant be found all is not lost just more challengeing. You will need to draw your own - at leats parts of it anyway. From your discription it sounds like a power supply issue (but could be caused by something further up the chain)

If the radio isnt an expensive item hopefully your friend will accept the fact that it was already broken before he gave it to you to fix and and you arent responsible for its demise. I find people give me things to fix because they are too tight to pay some one to fix it.

Post some details of the radio and maybe some pictures and we can see what we can do to help guide you in the right direction.

Bernie

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #12

05/05/2013 6:57 PM

its not expensive.. but its been a long time buddy for him.. xD anyway, i tried looking for the circuit.. no avail. but from what i see here is that the board is PCB power board. (luckily they have the sense to sepearate the power board from the others)

Register to Reply
Associate

05/05/2013 7:27 PM

What is the manufacturers name and model number of the radio that you are attempting to fix.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 14 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adlfurball (1); Lemmy70 (2); littlebetter (1); lyn (1); Marv Trott (2); mike k (1); PWSlack (1); RC HELICOPTER (1); saabman (1); SolarEagle (1); Usbport (2)

Previous in Forum: Image Decomposition   Next in Forum: Choosing a Fuse

Advertisement