Previous in Forum: Spoiled Radio is Spoiled Again, Need Help!   Next in Forum: Skills of a Communication Engineer in a Airport?
Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Commentator

Good Answers: 1

Choosing a Fuse

05/04/2013 11:56 AM

I don't like to ask questions before I do a proper research, but I'm pressed for time and have to come with a sensible explanation for one of my clients.

It's a contour measuring station ($100k range) that perennially blew fuses in one of the power supply that provide power for two drives (1.5kW each) driving two motors of, so far, unknown specs.

After finding a magnetic break intermittent I thought I hit it, but after that the fuse kept blowing. Checked the drive, did a signature components comparison against the good one, one drives the motor moving camera on Y axis, the other turns the measured piece (the fuse was blowing when the camera was trying to move).

Didn't find anything, check the motor, no abnormalities, so I put 10A fuse (drive commissioning calls for 10A in power supply, application has 6A, and.. everything started working just fine. Lowered the fuse value to 8.5A, works fine for a month now.

There are two more machines like that blowing fuses as well just not that often, I suspect fuse value is underrated

I know without the motor spec it's difficult to rate a fuse. I just need a general good designing approach how to find a proper value. Slow blow, then what % of the max current for starters.

TIA

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Re: choosing a fuse

05/04/2013 12:21 PM
Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 781

Re: choosing a fuse

05/04/2013 1:03 PM

WHAT VOLTAGE?

Good Answers: 59

Re: Choosing a Fuse

05/04/2013 11:14 PM

Unless you have the means to investigate, you are out of luck.

If many examples behave the same way, 10A it is. Sloppy way it is, consider overheating. Please measure at least some parameters.

This really is not a way to do real engineering.

Contradictory? Yes, short of real measurements.

Register to Reply
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

05/05/2013 3:19 PM

Are you using fuses with the correct trip curve or just some fast blow types that are partially melting over time due to the high inrush currents which degrade their trip characteristics causing premature fuse operation.

05/05/2013 4:48 PM

thanks gents for pitching in. I know without measuring the nominal , max and in-rush current not much can be said, I'll take some measurements next week and follow links that were posted to figure out what should be there..

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 2

05/06/2013 11:06 AM

May I make a suggestion that you check the wiring, since if the wires are undersized you could be overheating the circuit.

Try putting new larger temporary wires to the machines and see if they still blow the fuses, if they do then my suggestion is moot, otherwise it could be part of the problem.

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #6

05/06/2013 11:46 AM
  1. wires are oversized right now. The nominal current that I measured is well below the what wires can handle. Thanks for suggestion though.
Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

05/06/2013 3:42 PM

I have found in the pass where fuse continuously blow but everything seem to be to spec to investigate the fuse holder. Not being able to see the fuses myself. Is it truely blown due to over current. Or is it possible that the element separated from the cap. Poor contact in the holder can some times cause the solder to melt. If you can't see the element to tell, cut the fuse apart.

In reply to #8

05/06/2013 4:11 PM

thanks, but that's not the case. As I wrote in the beginning, I put 8.5A instead of 6A and unit works for last months without a hitch.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 444

05/06/2013 8:28 PM

"...After finding a magnetic break intermittent I thought I hit it..." Assuming that you're referring to a magnetic "brake" you may have "hit on it" and not realized it. Since you posted in an electronics forum, everyone naturally assumed it was an electrical problem, but perhaps it's more mechanical in nature.

You also said that "...the fuse was blowing when the camera was trying to move...", are you sure that the brake is releasing completely, that the slides are not binding, and that there is nothing inhibiting the motion of the camera and/or the workpiece? Without knowing the type of motor or braking mechanism, it's possible that there's enough binding or delayed release to cause more than normal current to flow continuously and pop the fuse on switching transients or the like. After all, it's a system, and a fault in one subsystem can have an effect on the other seemingly unrelated ones.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

05/09/2013 10:48 AM

Um, what does it say on any of the following:

• Equipment manufacturer's manual
  • Amtech cable calculation records
  • "For construction" wiring schematics
  • Commissioning records
  • "As built" wiring schematics
  • Handover documentation, or failing all of that
  • British Standard 7671 in relation to the cable size, length and method of installation?
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

jack of all trades (1); kaztronics (3); leveles (1); lyn (1); ozzb (1); PWSlack (1); RAMConsult (1); Tornado (1); vargaalex (1)

Previous in Forum: Spoiled Radio is Spoiled Again, Need Help!   Next in Forum: Skills of a Communication Engineer in a Airport?

Advertisement