Previous in Forum: Descrepancy Between Measuring Ranges of Process and Control System   Next in Forum: Fire Proofing
Close
Close
Close
32 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Difference between 3 Way Manifold & 5 Way Manifold

07/03/2013 3:30 AM

Dear All,

What is basic difference between 3 Way Manifold & 5 Way Manifold

Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 809

Re: Difference between 3 Way Manifold & 5 Way Manifold

07/03/2013 4:22 AM

The number of ways, basically.

Good Answers: 107
In reply to #1

07/03/2013 4:41 AM

Concur!

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 661

07/03/2013 6:08 AM

Bit like the difference between a 3 toed Sloth and a 5 toed Sloth
Del

Good Answers: 8

07/03/2013 6:16 AM

The difference is like a two way manifold, apparently.

Guru

In reply to #4

07/03/2013 6:38 AM

The mathematic power shall be with you!

But: can I do the same thing with a 5 way manifold that I can do with a 3 way and 2 way mainifold? My guts tell me I have 6 switching options with the second choice.

Sorry just try to be smart here!

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

07/03/2013 7:20 AM

Porting for the valve to match up to.

07/03/2013 7:53 AM

Now if we hookup a three way to a five way manifold, do we get an eight way or a fifteen way manifold? What if we hook the three way backwards to the five way? Does this give us a two way? Or a seven way with three plus five minus one for the hook up - or is it minus two? Is a one way manifold really a two way when it doesn't have a check valve, or is it simply a one way? This subject is truly confounding. I think this needs to be checked out further. Where could I find out? hmmm

Guru

Good Answers: 1659

07/03/2013 8:59 AM

Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 916

07/03/2013 9:17 AM

5-3=2

Since the OP had to ask such a silly question, I doubt that they understand this basic arithmetic.

To ensure the OP is baffled. (Pun intended) There are many different types of three way and five way manifolds. One three way manifold will look like a Y and another will look like a T. A five way manifold could be a stock four cylinder engine exhaust manifold while another would be tuned a header assembly for the same engine.

In reply to #9

07/03/2013 9:24 AM

Oh dear! Was I supposed to show my work?

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 916
In reply to #10

07/03/2013 9:47 AM

In reply to #10

07/03/2013 11:44 AM

Yes! But Please!

In reply to #10

07/03/2013 11:45 AM

Do your math!

In reply to #13

I,VE WORKED IT 3 DIFFERENT WAYS IN MY HEAD

07/03/2013 12:09 PM

It still comes out 2.

Guru

Good Answers: 175

07/03/2013 5:26 PM

Since Tony Kuphaldt hasn't answered, I'll post the graphics from his book, Lessons in Industrial Instrumentation.

Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 27
In reply to #15

07/04/2013 5:21 PM

Finally, a non-joking answer. And several following too.

07/03/2013 6:20 PM

3-Way

5_Way

Guru

In reply to #16

07/03/2013 9:41 PM

Yeah, but what is the difference?

I can see a difference, I would feel a difference, it has no taste and I dont want to smell it.

Could we settle with 5 ways has five handles and 3 ways has - well you did the math!

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #17

07/03/2013 11:15 PM

i suppose the original post should have had a lot more information about what type of manifold if a select few have decided this is the type of manifold the anon poster was refering to

Power-User
Australia - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 16

07/03/2013 11:31 PM

My first reaction was "Oh no my wife is posting on CR4".

But I am sure she would have clarified it with something like "You know, that thingy that hangs of the other thing."

It could be a car inlet or exhaust manifold that Miss Anonymous is enquiring about.

Maybe it is meant as a puzzel to ponder.

BAB

Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Good Answers: 202

07/04/2013 12:44 AM

3 way manifolds and 5 way manifolds are often, but not always, termed as "valves". Perhaps this will make it easier to understand. This term might be slang, I don't know.

Examples of the use of a 3 way valve is a single action cylinder with air being fed thru port #1 to port #2 which is connected to the cylinder. When air is fed into a single action cylinder the piston is powered in one direction. When this supply is stopped by changing the valve position to the other position the air from the cylinder (port #2) is released through port #2 (the cylinder) to where it is exhausted through port #3 (all ports are on the valve). Unless there is some force to return the cylinder to its start position it will stay in the last position it was in. Usually the weight of the load or an external spring are used to return the cylinder to the start position where it is possible to repeat this cycle. Easiest way to visualize this is the letter "Y", with the bottom being the cylinder port #2, one of the upper angles being port #1 for putting air into the cylinder and the other port #3 for exhausting the air out of the cylinder (removal). One example of this would be an older model dump truck. Air goes thru port #1 (supply) to port #2 (cylinder) and when they want the body to go down port #1 is closed and the air exhausts through port #3 (exhaust). Another example is the main cylinder in a tire changer machine or the hydraulic lift for automobiles.

A 5-way valve is very similar in function but it is 2 single action valves enclosed and mechanically tied together in one body. The exhausts ports for each section are combined internally. They are primarily used for double action units where air pressure is used to move the cylinder in both directions. This type of cylinder also has 2 connections to it, one on each end of the cylinder with the piston between them.

Compressed air is supplies to the 5-way valve through port #1. Port #2 is the supply port to the front end of the cylinder (often called the rod end) between the piston and this end. Port #3 is the exhaust port from the front end of the cylinder. Port #4 is the compressed air supply to the back end of the cylinder (often called the rear end cap). Port #5 is the exhaust port from the back end of the cylinder.

In operation, compressed air is fed into the 5-way valve through port #1. To move the piston towards the back end compressed air is fed through the front end port #2 and any air in the back end is exhausted through port #5. To move the piston towards the front end the valve position is changed to the opposite so that compressed air is fed into port #4 in the back and exhausted through port #3 in the front. Summarized, to move the cylinder one way you put the valve in one position and to move it in the other direction you put the valve in the other direction.

An example of the use of the 5-way valve would be a unit that powers (with compressed air or hydraulics) the piston in both directions. Newer dump trucks are configured this way so drivers don't have to wait until the weight of an empty dump body forces it down. Paper or cardboard compactors also work with 5-way valves. If the cylinder is mounted vertically with the rod end down to push a plate to press against the load material you would feed compressed air to the back end and exhaust air from the front end to force the plate down. Put the valve in the opposite position and the air goes into the front end and the back end is exhausted. This could visualized as being similar to two adjacent letter Y with the adjacent tops tied together as the exhaust (YY) with the tops being the feeds and exhausts and the bottoms being the cylinder connections.

Parker-Hannifin once had some excellent training materials on beginning pneumatics and hydraulics. try www.parker.com to see what they now have.

I hope this helps you in understanding the subject.

Good Luck, Old Salt

07/04/2013 3:30 AM

Same reason you have 3 & 5 Way Valves.

Guru

Good Answers: 272

07/04/2013 5:22 AM

A pipe?

In reply to #22

07/04/2013 10:12 AM

Two handles?

Power-User

07/06/2013 6:32 AM

For those who have enjoyed the non-joking answers, a (boring but relevant) more obvious explanation may be useful: as has been noted in the thread, the question can be answered taking the question as using either older terminology, newer, precise, sloppy, or otherwise terminology, referring to valves, conduits, pipes, etc., with simplicity in the answer suggested (cf. "basic difference"), allowing those who answer to spend a vast amount of time and thought attempting to figure out just what the poster was actually trying to find out, when the poster did not feel any further effort was needed to clarify the question. Is this not a situation to be dealt with as humor?

Associate

In reply to #25

07/06/2013 7:17 AM

I think nobody underestand the simple question

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 809
In reply to #26

03/05/2021 2:26 AM

It was the context, actually. It is very difficult to convey correct meaning on technical issues using only one sentence.

Perhaps there should be three-sentence posts and five-sentence posts?

Good Answers: 206

07/06/2013 12:02 PM

Let me think about this awhile...

Guru

Good Answers: 1673

07/06/2013 10:24 PM

"The 3-Valve Manifold is used for a differential pressure transmitter. The typical 3-way valve manifold consists of 2 block valve and 1 equalizer valve. If we want to check the zero of the differential pressure transmitter, we just need to close the block valve and open the equalizing valve. This 3-valve manifold is rarely used in oil & gas industries especially in the offshore platform due to the un-available of test connection.

Like 3-way valve manifold, 5-way valve manifold is also used for differential pressure transmitter. The typical 5-way valve manifold consist of 2 block valve, 1 equalizer valve, and 2 vent or test valve. If we want to check the zero of the transmitter, we just need to close the block valve and open the equalizing valve. If we want to calibrate the transmitter for 3 or 5 point calibration, then after the pressure is equalized we just need to connect the test valve to a pressure generator. This 5-way valve manifold is the most common valve manifold for differential pressure transmitter."

http://www.impactimpex.com/3waymanifoldvalves.html

http://www.impactimpex.com/5waymanifoldvalves.html

Good Answers: 6

07/09/2013 10:29 AM

http://www2.emersonprocess.com/siteadmincenter/PM%20Rosemount%20Documents/00813-0100-4733.pdf

Please see this web page from Emerson.

One of the advantage of 5 valve manifold is that there are now two valves to prevent high pressure leaking into low presure side causing error.

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Apple II -

Good Answers: 46

07/25/2013 12:24 PM

If you are learning about instrument manifolds and want to get a superlative reference on the subject, I recommend John E. Hewson's excellent "Process Instrumentation Manifolds". It's an expensive book when purchased new, but you can find used books at reasonable prices:

http://www.amazon.com/Process-Instrumentation-Manifolds-Selection-Handbook/dp/0876648537/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374769357&sr=8-1&keywords=instrumentation+manifolds

Good Answers: 6

08/15/2013 12:49 AM

I suppose the basic difference is 1 has 5 holes & the other has 3 holes.

Reply to Forum Thread 32 comments
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BlueAussieBoy (1); brettj1au (1); Del the cat (1); Dodgy Solenoid (1); Fredski (1); Grochy (1); IdeaSmith (5); Iris (1); Lehman57 (1); lyn (5); old salt (1); ozzb (1); PWSlack (2); Randall (1); redfred (2); sachinrmishra (1); SolarEagle (1); srini (1); tonykuphaldt (1); woodpower (3)

Previous in Forum: Descrepancy Between Measuring Ranges of Process and Control System   Next in Forum: Fire Proofing

Advertisement