Previous in Forum: Restart of Motor After Stopping It   Next in Forum: 100KVA Generator Proper Grounding
Close
Close
Close
15 comments

Substation

07/14/2013 6:18 AM

How to find out the Size of Switchgear's,PowerTransformer's for a new Substation.It may be 400/220 kV or 33/11 kV.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: substation
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Active Contributor

Re: Substation

07/14/2013 9:47 AM

The easiset way is looking at the nameplate, the other is find the manual or asking to your boss

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

07/14/2013 11:21 AM

I'd ask the "Electrical Site Engineer". Certainly they'd know such details.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 180

07/14/2013 1:59 PM

The size of the substation is dependant on its capacity. An 80 MVA substation will take up less room than a 400MVA. The higher the voltages the bigger the site gets.

If you want a sensible answer, try asking a sensible question!

There again, you could try doing your own homework.

In reply to #3

07/14/2013 2:12 PM

The OP states, "Hi, I am an Electrical Site Engineer for 400/220 Kv Substation" in this post: How to Become a Substation Design Engineer

It seems like an odd question coming from a site engineer. Unfortunately it's not homework.

Fortunately, we both live far enough away from him that we're safe.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 180
In reply to #4

07/14/2013 2:24 PM

"Fortunately, we both live far enough away from him that we're safe. "

Amen to that!

It makes me shudder at the thought of some of the questions MV HV "engineers" ask.

Why do they think they can pull the wool over our eyes with "I am project, site, design engineer.

I've had enough of them in real life to know the fudges.

In reply to #5

07/14/2013 2:34 PM

My search for intelligent life seems doomed.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)

In reply to #5

07/15/2013 2:25 AM

Dear Tony, Nobody is trying to pull the wool over your eye.Let me clarify I finished my college recently and joined as a Site Engineer.Basically the client gives us all the specifications of the switch gears and all other Equipments.But I want to know how they Sized for that particular substation.If you have any answers for that kindly reveal otherwise don't discourage ppl who r trying to learn .

Register to Reply

In reply to #3

07/15/2013 2:18 AM

Am not asking about the space of the Substation instead am asking how to size the capacities of Switchgear's and Transformers

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #8

07/15/2013 9:03 AM

To design the switchgear first you must know the load, the characteristic such as voltage, current. Then you design the switchgear with equipment that you want to include such as UVR, OVR. You must calculate the dimension of each equipment to arrange and design the switchgear.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - ESD - New Member India - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 41
In reply to #8

07/15/2013 4:14 PM

It appears that you are asking these questions for the sake of only asking. How could any one in this site or any other site provide you a proper answer to your question. I did explained very clearly what you should do to start with. Probably you did not even read the answer. Otherwise you will not ask such a question again. You have to decide what should be the size of the transformer and switch gear depending on the requirement of the new substation you decide to establish . The department / establishment/ factory for whom you want to construct the substation will give you the requirement to start with your job. Most of them get their total project designed by large consulting companies and as per their design the capacity requirement of power / water / other infrastructure is decided.Electricity Boards have standardised their substations depending up on the power requirement .Get in touch with transformer manufacturers and Power panel manufacturers with your query they will help you in all respects and that will help you to decide suitable range of products required for your site. Experienced engineers do that . Those manufactures have all technical information but they will only give information depending on their products An experienced engineer can always make out his requirements from the data provided by them . Google is available always for your help use it. Learn swimming before first before jumping in to the river

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #12

07/28/2013 3:25 AM

I totally agree with that...

Management is just like a bunch of Monkey sitting on a tall tree. Some climb to the highest branch and some at the lowest branch. The highest Monkey look down and see a lot of happy faces but the lower Monkey looks up and see nothing but all the....
Register to Reply
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #3

05/05/2022 1:34 AM

what about size in length*breadth?

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 1

07/15/2013 12:35 AM

You can visit any new substation and find out the size of switchgear and Transformer.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817

07/15/2013 3:39 AM
  • One of the ways is to scale it off an aerial photograph of the installation.
  • Another might be to talk to the manufacturer of the equipment involved.
  • Another might be to look at the general arrangment drawings for the facility.
  • Etc.
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 6

08/12/2013 11:28 AM

Shiva 1021 said: "Am not asking about the space of the Substation instead am asking how to size the capacities of Switchgear's and Transformers."

First step in design is to calculate load, existing + future room for expansion.

This load will change by time of day and by season.

Then ask what % uptime is required, and what % brownouts or rolling blackouts is acceptable.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

1capybara (1); Alanvaderi (1); febriansasi (2); lyn (3); PWSlack (1); sauravbabu (1); Shiva1021 (2); Simon Wan (1); TonyS (2); V.I.Abraham (1)

Previous in Forum: Restart of Motor After Stopping It   Next in Forum: 100KVA Generator Proper Grounding

Advertisement