Previous in Forum: Are We Losing Our Edge?   Next in Forum: Did We Bring Life To Mars?
Close
Close
Close
40 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Another Player?

11/04/2013 8:55 AM
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

Re: ANOTHER PLAYER?

11/04/2013 9:33 AM

I think it's stupid. What's the point?

If anything should foster international collaboration and shared expense, it's looking at Mars.

In reply to #1

11/04/2013 11:39 AM

I agree. I'd think they have MUCH MORE PRESSING domestic needs than spending millions or billions on un-needed space "exploration".

Guru

In reply to #2

11/04/2013 12:27 PM

Maybe I should just send them the video that I found, along with vast amounts of data that is already on the internet.

Mission accomplished...for free.

The only thing that makes sense in this "supposed" race to the moon or Mars, is that they need believable reasons to test various propulsion systems, without raising suspicion. They don't want it to look like a possible act of aggression.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 409
In reply to #2

11/04/2013 12:58 PM

Well, I'll take the devils advocate on this,

Maybe, this may be a jobs program because India may have an excess of underemployed Engineers, technicians and scientists in this area.......

In reply to #8

11/04/2013 1:09 PM

Yeah. It's not like they need grid infrastructure, potable water systems, waste water treatment plants, mass transit in the cities, modern roads....

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #9

11/04/2013 1:15 PM

Yes, I was thinking the same thing..........

Trying to compare it to the CCC, which actually helped the infrastructure, (even though they did do some work that had no effect)

I think India is trying to bring it's self as a country into the 20th century...... but the culture between the classes of its population are quite unique where it may limited this and even create an even larger difference..

In reply to #10

11/04/2013 2:55 PM

It looks like a pride thing; a way to justify the existence of a bloated and wasteful government. Sound familiar?

According to Pallava Bagla, science editor of New Delhi television news and author of a book about India's space efforts, Destination Moon, the country's public are especially excited about the possibility of beating China to the Red Planet.

Continue reading the main story

"Start Quote

If India does beat China to Mars you can imagine the national pride".

In reply to #11

11/04/2013 4:03 PM

Their are underlying intentions here, China being one of them, but I feel Pakistan is more so. Remember a few years ago about the nuclear threat.........

So basically they may be using the guise of the space program to gain an upper hand for national defense missile program........ also sounds familiar.

this region really gives me a headache.

Unfortunately we have to be aware of this.....

In reply to #12

11/04/2013 4:10 PM

In reply to #13

11/04/2013 4:33 PM

Yes, I heard back in spring of 2012 that our foreign relations has never been better.....

Good Answers: 60

Re: Another Player?

11/04/2013 12:15 PM

India accepts millions in overseas aid for their poverty-ridden country, yet spends all that and more on space exploration. I don't know who is the more stupid - the givers or the receivers. You couldn't make it up.

Guru

11/04/2013 12:43 PM

"Mission Control Here, This is 'Bob', may I help you!" spoken in an Indian accent

Good Answers: 1723

11/04/2013 12:49 PM

I think we can get a few more people on there.....?

In reply to #6

11/04/2013 12:55 PM

I don't have the heart to tell them that the train left hours ago.......

Good Answers: 25

11/05/2013 6:06 AM

Latest BBC News:-

Mission to Mars: India launches first spacecraft to Red Planet

31 minutes ago

India has successfully launched its first ever mission to Mars.

The Mars Orbiter Mission took off at 09:08 GMT from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre on the country's east coast.

The spacecraft is due to reach its destination in September 2014 and will orbit the Red Planet looking for signs that it could support life.

In reply to #15

11/05/2013 6:36 AM

I don't understand why your country is doing this. There is a wealth of data already available.

Not that I'm overly bothered by it, but I'm curious if the primary reason is to simply beat the Chinese.

In reply to #16

11/05/2013 6:49 AM

Same thoughts were ringing in my mind but when I heard ISRO official on TV just before launch I understood the reasons. He said that it is not race with any other country but to achieve scientific advancement of ISRO. The cost of launch is fractional compared to other countries. It is rather future investment in field of Space Launching business.

In reply to #17

11/05/2013 8:53 AM

I guess I don't think like a politician.

If I had developed a low cost launching capability, I would use it for more useful things; like weather and communication satellites...which would orbit earth.

In reply to #18

11/06/2013 5:39 AM

Hi Kramarat, There was long discussion on prime TV news channel "Times Now" part of "The Times Of India". Participants were politian from different parties, Ex Isro scientists, Journalist etc. All talked about justification of spending Rs. 450 crores (1 crore= 10 millions) on such project.There were many fireworks and every one had his own views. Some one commented about Rs.thousands worth coal and telephone scams so this is small amount being spent on space research.

In reply to #25

11/06/2013 6:47 AM

Some things are universal. They do the same in the US.

When talking about spending lots of money on some project, they go out and find a bigger waste of money, and talk about how small it is, in comparison.

We were sold on a government takeover of our healthcare system, by being told that it would cost less than the war in the mid east...so, many people thought it would be good.

...now we find out it will cost at least double, and millions will lose their current insurance plans.

In reply to #17

11/05/2013 8:56 AM

Sounds like a race to me.

"If India does beat China to Mars you can imagine the national pride"

End Quote Pallava Bagla Science Editor NDTV

Guru

In reply to #19

11/05/2013 9:32 AM

Sounds a lot like our race to the moon.

If not for wanting to beat the Soviets, progress probably would have been slower.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #17

11/05/2013 11:14 AM

Remember this?

"We go to the Moon (Mars), and beyond not because it is easy to do, but because it is a hard thing to do." - John Fitzgerald Kennedy upon announcing the American Mission to go to the Moon. Maybe India also likes a challenge. Good on them.

By the way, it took an "incompetent" Secret Service agent carelessly waving around an Ar-15 to mortally wound President Kennedy, the last conservative democrat. The following cover-up rivals the cover up about Benghazi, this time it was the Secret Service running off with all the evidence to God knows where. God save the human race from humans.

In reply to #21

11/05/2013 1:39 PM

Where did the ""incompetent" Secret Service agent" story come from?

Guru

In reply to #23

11/05/2013 1:49 PM

that's a new one....... never heard that one before.

Good Answers: 3

11/05/2013 1:32 PM

Why not? Russia started the space race.

I think it might be too judgemental to say they shouldn't do such a thing because they have too many poor. I am certain putting a rocket on Mars is far easier than trying to eliminate the poor. Look how much the US has spent and they have gotten no where. There are far more poor not less poor in the US since the great society.

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #22

11/06/2013 5:46 AM

Poors are around the world. They are simply quite onlookers. They are helpless, as they can not change the powerful political system.

In reply to #26

11/06/2013 9:47 AM

So nice to know that UK's £1,000,000,000 donation to India each year is not being squandered.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #28

11/07/2013 4:05 AM

India already informed Britain to stop their 'peanuts' as an aid. Britain can utilise that aid to strengthen her internal economy. Pls read the following news displayed by English daily.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/9061844/India-tells-Britain-We-dont-want-your-aid.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2096628/British-foreign-aid-India-tells-Britain-dont-need-peanuts-offer-us.html

Guru

In reply to #29

11/07/2013 4:58 AM

Yep, my figure was apparently wrong - 1 billion over 5 years. India doesn't want the money, UK can't stop giving it. Absurd situation.

P.S. Why the "anonymous" ?

Guru

11/08/2013 5:20 AM

When I saw list of scientists at NASA, I found there are many of Indian origin. Same at at John Hopkins Hospital at Baltimore.

In reply to #31

11/08/2013 6:24 AM

People from India are involved in all kinds of things here. Doctors, chemists, engineers, software developers, researchers...and they are good at what they do.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #32

11/08/2013 12:21 PM

If one looks at what NASA has proudly contributed to the United States, in terms of national pride, spin-off tech, and a genuinely spiked scientific interest in what exists outside our small planet, I would say, no one can say how much that is actually worth. My guess is it is worth far more to the value of humanity, life in general, and the betterment of mankind, than the money spent. I think India will see a tremendous return on their investment. Do not worry about India, they will live long and prosper.

In reply to #33

11/09/2013 5:30 AM

Well said.

In reply to #34

11/11/2013 10:02 AM

I learn by watching. I watched "Ghandi" the movie, rather than read. My bad, I only got the Cliff Notes version of life. I figure any nation of people that must contend with (1) cobras in the streets, (2) mongooses (mongeese) chasing the cobras, and (3) tigers, along with all the other critters, has to think and act quickly as a general rule. Another reminder: there were Christians in India long before the British arrived, and long before there were any Christians in North America. Look it up. Of course, there were a lot of Bhuddists, and Hindi before even that. Not mentioning these to make a division, just referencing the long and rich history of India. Of all the wars recorded in human history, can anyone really point out any war actually started by India? I can think of several India helped finish, including WWII.

In reply to #35

11/14/2013 5:27 AM

Again well said .

In reply to #36

11/14/2013 9:40 AM

Does that mean we are best friends forever (BFF's) now? Peace, live long, and prosper.

In reply to #37

11/15/2013 5:56 AM

Of course why not..

In reply to #38

11/15/2013 11:00 AM

Final question: Is India's present space propulsion conventional, or are you utilizing something more advanced, such as ion propulsion?

In reply to #39

11/16/2013 5:28 AM

Sorry I have no idea. You can go to ISRO web site.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

aDIYguy (1); Anonymous Poster (1); energyconversion (3); James Stewart (5); kramarat (10); lyn (3); phoenix911 (7); SolarEagle (1); suresh sharma (9)

Previous in Forum: Are We Losing Our Edge?   Next in Forum: Did We Bring Life To Mars?

Advertisement