Previous in Forum: RS Logix5000 & Factory Talk Activation   Next in Forum: PC Recovery: Cloning and Backup Opinions
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Old Member, New Association

Good Answers: 72

Glitch or Scam

12/27/2013 1:59 PM

How long does it take to determine when a "glitch" is actually a scam?

A certain software company has a game on the internet. It was introduced with lots of bugs. (And no, it was not Microsoft) This game lets you play just long enough to start to like it. And then, when you want to make serious progress, you have to purchase a substitute for real cash. It is a lot like exchanging money from one currency to another. And for the most part, everything seems to be on the up and up. But in your enthusiasm you attempt to use this currency during a time that the function is not available. Under that condition, the game keeps your currency but gives you nothing in exchange. In other words, it rips you off.

This game has been purchased by 49 million people, most of which have lost interest for one reason or another. But the "glitch" survives. Isn't it possible that the authors of the game are aware of this "glitch" but they are laughing all the way to the bank?

I have a hard time believing they don't know. What about you? Would you describe this kind of product as an internet crime?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

Re: Glitch or Scam

12/27/2013 2:27 PM

Did you read the small print in the agreement?

If 49 million people have purchased this game, and most have lost interest, I believe you have discovered the reason why.

I doubt it is illegal. It may not be Microsoft, but they are using the exact same tactic that made Bill into a billionaire.

...one version after another, of something that "sort of" works, and you have to pay to get something slightly better or worse than what you had.

Good Answers: 206

12/27/2013 2:33 PM

so you really didn't "buy" the game, you paid a fee to play till your dime ran out

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #2

12/27/2013 2:43 PM
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 783

12/27/2013 2:42 PM

If you don't name any names, how do you plan to kick any butt?

Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Old Member, New Association

Good Answers: 72
In reply to #3

12/27/2013 3:40 PM

I seriously doubt I have much of a chance to kick butt. I probably wouldn't get past the gate. In fact, I could be at risk just for rocking the boat.

I did demand a full refund now that I am on to their "glitch". If I don't get it, there is always the Department of Internet Crime at the FBI.

My loss was under $100 so it is not a Felony, but when you multiply that by several million it might be hailed as a new way to make money. Thanks for the example, Bill Gates.

Oh, and the business I'm taking on has as part of their name, "Fireproof ......"

Should I change my name and address now or later?

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 783
In reply to #5

12/27/2013 4:15 PM

What's the downside risk--they still don't fix your game?

Guru

Good Answers: 17
In reply to #5

12/27/2013 4:18 PM

If you purchased it online using a credit card, it is likely that your credit card company has options already in place for issues like this one. If that is the case, contact the credit card company and get your money back for the faulty product.

The CC company will go after the Fireproof merchant. They have all of the legal means in place for just such an incident.

12/28/2013 11:59 AM

Tell us the name of the company and on the game...

Good Answers: 3

12/30/2013 9:14 AM

Would scams be part of a business plan?

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/privacy-group-why-does-jay-zs-app-check-who-you-6C10645031

This guy got caught mainly because his app was on so many phones. I assume this is only the tip of the iceburg.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 9 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

aDIYguy (1); Fredski (1); guds777 (1); kramarat (2); NotUrOrdinaryJoe (1); The.Tinkerer (1); Tornado (2)

Previous in Forum: RS Logix5000 & Factory Talk Activation   Next in Forum: PC Recovery: Cloning and Backup Opinions

Advertisement