Previous in Forum: SETI @ Home   Next in Forum: Is There Any Harm by Using Microwave Oven?
Close
Close
Close
14 comments
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

"All Our Patent Are Belong To You" - Elon Musk

06/12/2014 4:09 PM

Interesting news from Tesla Motors. And a really witty title for the announcement.

They are essentially placing their electric vehicle technology patents in the public domain.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/all-our-patent-are-belong-you

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1666

Re: "All Our Patent Are Belong To You" - Elon Musk

06/12/2014 4:36 PM

Bill Gates, take a lesson.

Here's someone who may not think they need to amass billions and billions just, "because they can".

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 151
In reply to #1

06/12/2014 4:58 PM
Re: SETI @ Home
No, the analysis runs in the background, when my computer is otherwise idle or under worked. I have to do nothing, and I have not noticed any effect on my computer's performance since it has been running.

Actually this is just one part of a set of projects called "BIONIC" that uses the latent capability of individual computers to perform analysis of data in many areas of serious scientific investigation.

Good Answers: 151
In reply to #2

06/12/2014 5:02 PM

oops this goes to another thread

Good Answers: 44
In reply to #3

06/12/2014 9:37 PM

BTW...it's BOINC

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #1

06/12/2014 7:43 PM

I am sure that if I lived a thousand years I could not do as much for humanity as Musk has done. I can also say the same for Bill Gates. I do not think it is fair to berate a person just because you don't like every move he makes. If I had to judge the human race by just these two people I would be thrilled to say I was a part of it

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 70
In reply to #1

06/12/2014 9:41 PM

Well at least Bill Gates gives a large percentage (over 30% I think) of his wealth to charities. The Wall-Mart clan that is worth many billions, gives very very little to their own established charity!

Musk is a great guy and I hope he's very successful in all his endeavors.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 416
In reply to #6

06/13/2014 9:38 AM

What I understand of Tesla Motors, is they are still on the verge of just being a foot note in the pages of history.

In reply to #6

06/13/2014 11:33 AM

$2.2 B USD for the Walton family. Combined wealth, $93 B.

$33 B USD for the Gates family. Wealth, $59 B.

Point well made.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 89
In reply to #6

06/16/2014 11:05 AM

"The Wall-Mart clan that is worth many billions, gives very very little to their own established charity!"

They have their own charity organization? I had not known this. My first response on hearing this was "Ah, a 'charity' that does nothing but lobby Congress for pro-Wall-Mart rulings, I bet." I'll need to do a little more research to see if my knee-jerk reaction was correct or not.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 783

06/12/2014 10:21 PM

Did Yoda become a flak?

Good Answers: 6

06/13/2014 1:46 AM

Seiko never patented the quartz movement.

Gajanan Phadte

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

06/13/2014 10:44 AM

Among others, Juergen Staudte invented a quartz manufacturing process that was patented in 1968. I worked for him in Cedar City, UT.

He was a private pilot and was killed when his twin Beech aircraft was fueled with jet fuel in New Mexico. There was enough Av gas in the lines, to allow him to get high enough in the air that he couldn't turn back and land.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 89
In reply to #10

06/16/2014 11:09 AM

"He was a private pilot and was killed when his twin Beech aircraft was fueled with jet fuel in New Mexico. There was enough Av gas in the lines, to allow him to get high enough in the air that he couldn't turn back and land."

Considering the aviation industries general love and worship of Checklists (to the point where some pilots of the Jeudeochristian faiths may feel uncomfortably close to violating Commandment #1) I find it hard to believe, on first hearing it, that this was a simple accident. Planes tale in a lot of fluids, in many different ports, and each one is color-coded to insure the wrong fluid doesn't go in the wrong port.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

06/16/2014 2:03 PM

I didn't read the accident report.

That was relayed to me by the company VP, after I had moved on.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 14 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (2); cuba_pete (1); gmphadte (1); gringogreg (2); lyn (4); phoenix911 (1); seed (1); Tom_Consulting (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: SETI @ Home   Next in Forum: Is There Any Harm by Using Microwave Oven?

Advertisement