Previous in Forum: Space Rockets   Next in Forum: Do Passenger Aircraft Have Separate Brake Systems on the Front and Rear Wheels?
Close
Close
Close
36 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 67

Study Confirms Earth Located in Cosmic Cul-de-sac

07/14/2014 4:20 PM

PARIS-Citing factors ranging from the dumb, ugly asteroid belt separating the terrestrial planets from the gas giants, to the super-boring and practically empty interstellar medium extending in nearly every direction, new research published Wednesday by the International Astronomical Union has concluded that Earth is located in "by far the lamest" region of the observable universe. "Despite years of intensive analysis, we have failed to uncover even a single pulsar, black hole, lenticular galaxy, binary star system, quasar, or any other cool stuff within 50 light years of this stupid dump of a solar system," read the study, which noted that to date, no telescope-either ground-based or in earth orbit-has been able to locate a portion of space more dull and tiresome than our own. "Maybe if we were a little closer to the center of the Milky Way galaxy instead of piddling away on one of its lame-ass outer arms, that'd be one thing, but we are right smack-dab in the middle of nowhere. All we've got is a bunch of crappy old cosmic background radiation and dumb-as-sh!t magnetic fields out here. Ugh." The study's authors added that they "so wish" they were on board one of the Voyager probes currently racing out of this mind-numbingly sh!tty planetary backwater.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 934

Re: Study Confirms Earth Located in Cosmic Cul-de-sac

07/14/2014 4:28 PM

This is where the anthropomorphic argument does hold. We live in a boring, hospitable region of space because we would all quickly die if we would be near something interesting. At least something interesting as far as astrophysics is concerned.

In reply to #1

07/14/2014 5:17 PM

Bingo.

Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780
In reply to #1

07/15/2014 3:57 AM

Anthropomorphic and anthropic are not the same.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #7

07/15/2014 7:06 AM

Thank you. You are correct, I meant anthropic argument.

[Must have been the Onion juice in my eye.]

In reply to #9

07/15/2014 12:46 PM

No problemo. We knew what you meant. Next time get the spelling right.

Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #1

07/15/2014 10:41 AM

I could not have stated that better, so I will not. Life has to be coddled and protected in order to survive the rigors of astrophysics. Thus far, while we (may) have found planets in other systems that could support life, and possibly a moon or two in our own system that could support life, that has yet to be confirmed.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 89
In reply to #10

07/16/2014 2:12 PM

Have you SEEN the new Cosmos series, with Degrasse Tyson? Our pre-pre-pre-prehistoric ancestors (aka bacteria) were riding around on chunks of rock in naked vacuum during the periods where Earth was a molten ball of hot magma death due to the latest major asteroid impact. The lucky ones survived the radiation and re-entry and picked up where they left off after crashing back onto the planet after it cooled. (The unlucky ones either got home early and were cooked like all the stay-at-homes, or they went on a LOOOOOONG journey out of the Solar System.)

Being launched into hard vacuum and radiation is not exactly 'coddling and protecting.'

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #17

07/16/2014 2:50 PM

All of that is conjecture, and has not been rigorously proven. I agree that under the "right" circumstances it might be possible to have single-cell organisms in "cryostasis" of outer space, but really not so much if exposed to high doses of short wavelength or even ionizing radiation, and cosmic rays for extended periods of time.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
In reply to #1

07/16/2014 2:04 PM

Although it's called the Anthropic Argument (or Anthropic Principle)not anthropomorphic argument.

The anthropomorphic argument goes along the lines of "Why don't we have talking animals in real life? Why are humans the only two-legged, tool-using creature on the planet with a written language?"

'Anthropic' meas 'Of or pertaining to humankind.'

'Anthropomorphic' means 'human shaped or human-like.'

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 86
In reply to #1

07/21/2014 12:53 PM

Maybe it's just that I'm getting old, but this "boring" cul-de-sac is still FAR TOO EXCITING for me. S.M.

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

07/14/2014 5:10 PM

Wow, research paper standards have really slipped over the years.

What's next, the Royal Astronomical Society scientifically referring to the vacuum of space as "Sweet fu$k all".

;)

In reply to #2

07/15/2014 4:46 PM

You should've seen what they wrote before running it through the autoclave. Twice.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

07/14/2014 8:01 PM

"For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen."

― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Good Answers: 287
In reply to #4

07/15/2014 5:05 AM

"there was a long pause, followed by a short pause, but so close together were they, it all just seemed to be one long pause."

―Spike Milligan, Puckoon

Good Answers: 1723

07/14/2014 8:08 PM

No thru traffic...

Good Answers: 1662

07/14/2014 8:19 PM

We live on a cul-de-sac. It's better than living on an interstate.

Give me boring any day.

Guru

In reply to #6

07/15/2014 12:36 PM

I don't know about that. Studies have shown that bored civilizations tend to get into more mischief.

Guru

In reply to #11

07/15/2014 2:00 PM

Must be extremely boring in the mother of all cul-de-sacs - The Middle East. I name no particular actors at all in this, but nearly all of them are busy creating mischief of one kind or another, and you can't make this stuff up.

In reply to #13

07/15/2014 4:40 PM

Come now. They're just trying to prove that the invention of the word 'civilisation' is about ten million years premature.

Guru

In reply to #13

07/16/2014 2:23 PM

I hate to say it, because it'll just start a flame war, Drama, and Hate, but the discovery of oil in the desert was one of the worst things to have ever happened to the planet.

A hundred years ago, the Mideast was just an 'over there' place, where princelings fought each other over a sandbox, and nobody else on the planet cared. They had no wealth, no political power, all they had was history: "The first known city was here, Tigris and Euphrates, Cradle of Civilization. We had street lamps while Europe was in the Dark Ages."

Yeah, but Europe progressed out of the Dark Ages into the Renaissance and the Industrial Revolution, while in the Mideast, some sand dunes shifted but not much else changed.

Then someone found oil 'over there' and now everyone wanted to be friends with the Sheiks, and they got a lot of new toys with their wealth, and started developing weapons so they would still be a world power after the oil runs out, simply because they could be a threat to other nations.

If they were still like they were pre-oil, when the coming of the locusts was a celebrated event (because it meant a source of protein had just flown in), we would have a much more peaceful planet. Mainly because Bush and the Son of Bush wouldn't have been starting wars over there.

Guru

In reply to #18

07/16/2014 2:46 PM

alright, no reason to wax political and start blame game. Besides, everyone knows it is the other side (of the aisle) that always gets the U.S. into trouble.

In reply to #19

07/16/2014 3:03 PM

"...The Middle East. I name no particular actors at all in this, but nearly all of them are busy creating mischief of one kind or another..."

<names two actors>

"...alright, no reason to wax political and start blame game."

Guru

In reply to #21

07/16/2014 3:41 PM

I meant no reason to wax political in here, if you can't tell who is always starting trouble in the Middle East, and in Washington, D.C., then that is YOUR problem, not mine, as I have no politicomyopia. Besides, there are so many people these days with cranial-interectumitis (do I have to explain that one), oh wait, you are not one of THOSE are you?

In reply to #22

07/16/2014 3:55 PM

Not the point of my post at all. My point is: if you don't want anyone stirring the pot, then don't bring it to the party.

Guru

In reply to #19

07/16/2014 3:48 PM

I apologize, I was out of order to vent here.

This was a case where, since I cannot complain about the thing that is really irritating me today, I end up trying to find something, ANYTHING, to complain about.

Please forgive my misanthropic outburst.

Guru

In reply to #18

07/16/2014 4:02 PM
Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1025

07/17/2014 8:32 AM

"Despite years of intensive analysis, we have failed to uncover even a single pulsar, black hole, lenticular galaxy, binary star system, quasar, or any other cool stuff within 50 light years of this stupid dump of a solar system,"
Who wrote this? The language sounds like it came from a grade schooler's assignment. Do they even know that a lenticular galaxy is much larger than 50 light years?

Guru

In reply to #26

07/17/2014 9:14 AM

Damn this onion juice. It's making me cry so hard that I'm laughing.

In reply to #27

07/17/2014 10:56 AM

Stay on topic....stay on topic! Arrrgh! That was a good point obout lenticular galaxies.

In reply to #28

07/17/2014 12:13 PM

I was on topic. The question was who wrote this? LOL [weep]

In reply to #29

07/17/2014 12:27 PM

Yes, all the article says is PARIS--"blah, blah,blah, blah, blah."

In reply to #30

07/17/2014 12:52 PM

It's true, when you cook an onion they get sweeter. ROFL

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1025
In reply to #27

07/17/2014 5:00 PM

Oops, didn't even look at the link. I should have known it was an "Onion" parody!

Guru

In reply to #33

07/17/2014 5:14 PM

In reply to #26

07/17/2014 2:53 PM

Not to mention known binary star systems within 50 light years. Siriusly.

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #32

08/14/2014 12:24 PM

WOOF woof

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (4); europium mkII (9); jack of all trades (1); James Stewart (7); lyn (1); Randall (1); redfred (7); Rixter (2); SimpleMind (1); SolarEagle (1); Tornado (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Space Rockets   Next in Forum: Do Passenger Aircraft Have Separate Brake Systems on the Front and Rear Wheels?

Advertisement