Previous in Forum: Cherry Trees   Next in Forum: Scratchy Drawing
Close
Close
Close
36 comments
Active Contributor

Pluto is a Planet Again?

09/24/2014 1:09 PM

When the International Astronomical Union came up with an official definition of a planet in 2006, they booted Pluto out of the club and reclassified it as a dwarf planet. But some say the discovery of exoplanets requires that we revisit this definition and give Pluto a second chance.
http://www.cosmosup.com/pluto-is-a-planet-again

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: planet pluto
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 206

Re: Pluto is a Planet Again?

09/24/2014 1:38 PM
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1736
In reply to #1

09/24/2014 2:38 PM

If Earth would be considered the perfect sized ball for Pluto to play with, then anything too small for him to play with, could be considered under planet size, and have a sub-planet classification, that way Pluto could determine Pluto's future nomenclature....

The Plutonium Determination....

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 937
In reply to #1

09/29/2014 1:12 PM

Pluto is neither a planet or a dog. Pluto fell in love with that two timer, Persephone.

Location: Large hole formally occupied by furry woodland creature.
Good Answers: 97

09/24/2014 3:01 PM

The International Astronomical Prices Union has determined that no expense should be spared to un-reclassify Pluto as a planet. Plans are underway to produce a leash that will span the distance.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

09/24/2014 3:36 PM

Were that it were ever otherwise.

09/24/2014 3:46 PM

We should have a "Welcome Back Pluto" party.

Location: Commissariat de Police, Nouvions, occupied France, 1942.
Good Answers: 76
In reply to #5

09/25/2014 2:45 AM

Yes, but the last CR4 one got a bit out of hand. The police were called to break it up - don't you remember? We do have to be aware of the neighbours. Some of them have to go to work tomorrow and need undisturbed sleep.

09/24/2014 3:54 PM

One of Pluto's moons as seen by the Hubble telescope:

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

09/24/2014 4:57 PM

This is not really news. This information of at least a hundred other celestial bodies bigger than Pluto orbiting our sun but nowhere near the ecliptic plane is precisely why the new definition was made that relegated Pluto to dwarf planet status. There was either going to be eight or several hundred planets in our solar system.

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

09/24/2014 6:02 PM

Here's a simple set of rules to determine if an object is a 'planet':

A) It has to have a diameter of at least 2000 Km (radius of 1000 Km).

B) It has to have an elliptical orbit around the Sun, but must not orbit any another object in the solar system.

c) It has to be bright enough to be photographed from Earth using a telescope with an aperture no larger than 16 inches (400 mm).

This is, essentially, the classic understanding people have had for what is, or is not, a planet. Asteroids like Ceres and Vesta are too small to be planets, and Kuiper Belt objects that are so distant and so dim they require huge university-class telescopes to be photographed, are also ruled out. Likewise, our Moon and the moons of other planets are ruled out.

In reply to #8

09/24/2014 8:51 PM

What is the reasoning of a 1000 Km radius to make the realm of planet? Is this so that only Pluto and Eris make the planetary radius cut off to transform a dwarf planet into a planet. That seems like a capricious choice to fit a bias.

How does one set the "photographic" threshold criteria? Kodachrome at an ASA of 64 and no more than a ten second exposure from sea level to minimize tracking anomalies sounds like another arbitrary threshold that might omit Neptune from the rank of planets.

Good Answers: 67
In reply to #9

09/24/2014 9:25 PM

Think about the vagaries of language: take the word 'planet', for example. What is 'planet', really? An arbitrary string of glyphs in an arbitrary construct called 'English' (for now, with corresponding strings of glyphs in other languages, themselves also arbitrary constructs), and so are we surprised that what we name by one arbitrary construct can be arbitrarily designated by another, arbitrary construct at our whim, which is sure to change yet again in the near future? Let's face it: we don't know what we're doing but only think we do, and we only think we do because we find the illusion comforting.

I reckon Pluto doesn't give a hoot one way or the other what we call it. I imagine that if it could, it would be laughing right now at the big deal those silly carbon-based lifeforms on that other thingie are making of it.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #9

09/25/2014 1:55 AM

'What is the reasoning of a 1000 Km radius to make the realm of planet?'

I know there is some kind of a rule where the object's mass has to be large enough to cause it to form a spherical shape. For instance, the mountains here on Earth can only grow so high because of gravity. Then there is supposed to be another rule about the body rotating about it own axis rather than a central point between itself and a moon perhaps.

I was just listening to a podcast on the subject the other day ;)

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Time to take control United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 87
In reply to #8

09/25/2014 3:29 PM

Those seems rather arbitrary. So according to B and C if there were an identical system to our Solar System across the galaxy beyond the range of the telescope mentioned in 'c', those large rocks and clumps of gas orbiting that star would not be called planets?

Good Answers: 67
In reply to #8

09/26/2014 3:39 AM

None of the planets in the Solar System are orbiting the Sun. They're all orbiting the Solar System's barycentre - including the Sun.

I wonder, do large members of binary planets qualify as planets? The Earth/Moon system is a binary planet - both the Moon's and the Earth's orbits about the Sun are everywhere convex. This wouldn't be the case were the Moon merely a satellite of Earth. The Earth and Moon are two planets orbiting the Sun together, sharing an intertwined orbit, and so, is the Moon a full-fledged planet under these (admittedly arbitrary) criteria? At 3,475 km mean diameter, the Moon is certainly large enough and nearly 1.5 times Pluto's mean diameter (2,368 km).

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 30

09/24/2014 9:59 PM

Pluto has been a planet ever since my textbooks SAID it was a planet...I just ignored the "hoopla-name-change" back in 2006.

Good Answers: 29

09/25/2014 4:21 AM

Oh wonderful! The night sky will change again, according to man. Should we be informing the aliens, so that they don't get lost. Thank goodness the Galactic Federation has saved us again. Hooray!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 35

09/25/2014 10:24 AM

See Pluto, you're still our boo...

Is this information going to change the way we live our lives here on Earth? It's not going to affect mine in the least. Unless you're part of some cult that is about to drink some cool-aid so you can get a ride on the space ship hiding behind Pluto, then maybe this information might be affecting your life.

In reply to #15

09/25/2014 10:43 AM

Just thought I should share this. I watched an interesting program last night concerning why planet earth has water. (To point out earth has 2 forms of water, ordinary water we use daily and heavy water. I thought we had salt water as well, but I was corrected by the program). It has now been nearly concluded as 'fact' by scientists, that water arrived here from comets crashing into the earth. So I wondered where salt water came from, considering there is millions of cubic kilometers of oceans and seas.

The comets contain the amino acids needed to produce life and on crashing into earth at a few speedy knots, the amino acids change and are able to support life forms.

But, they never did explain where all the salt water came from. The only conclusion I could draw was, it was brought here by comets.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 35
In reply to #16

09/25/2014 11:47 AM

When I was in school, the question was asked why the oceans and seas were salty and the explaination that was given was the volume of water disolving minerals.

In reply to #16

09/25/2014 12:17 PM

It was my understanding that the comet plumes were slowly accumulated by Earth in our orbit. The comet did not have to impact Earth to add water.

In reply to #18

09/25/2014 12:37 PM

According to what was stated, impacts were required. Still, that is a lot of comets to fill the oceans.

On the other hand, if this is correct, then all other planets that are comet impacted, i.e. the moon, Saturn, Venus, Pluto etc., must be able to support basic life forms. Ergo, the moon should be quite a wet place and we should not be surprised to find life there.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 774
In reply to #19

09/25/2014 1:15 PM

Seriously??? ................

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #20

09/25/2014 1:41 PM

Of course Seriously! Why not? Do scientist not tell us the truth? I only learned yesterday that salt water is not water. How can I NOT believe them, I saw it and they told me about it on TV!!!! These are very smart people on TV.

Only 2 types of water on planet earth and a shed load of comets lying at the bottom of the oceans. The reason you never see the water on the moon is because the tide is out, it's all at the back of the moon which you never see.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 89
In reply to #21

09/25/2014 3:42 PM

You get a GA for getting that reaction out of TCM.

It's not often I see him fall for "punk'd" bait like that.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 92
In reply to #16

09/25/2014 9:43 PM

(To point out earth has 2 forms of water, ordinary water we use daily and heavy water.

Sorry, they must have been drinking it...

In nature you will find H2O, HDO (and even some DHO!!), and D2O. There's even a little tritium occurring naturally, so you could probably find THO, although DOT may be pushing it a bit. So based on hydrogen isotopes, that's 3 "normal" and one "very unusual" flavours of water that all combine to make normal water, or can be concentrated to a high percentage of D2O to make "heavy water".

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #24

09/25/2014 9:59 PM

Agreed but what annoys me is that if one bothers to look at the nominal distribution of oxygen isotopes and hydrogen isotopes one will find that most heavy water does not contain deuterium, let alone tritium.

Kool-aid anyone.

Good Answers: 92
In reply to #25

09/25/2014 10:11 PM

Oh- so there goes the Nobel prize submission I was going to put together about it coming from heavy comets......

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #24

09/26/2014 4:11 AM

Ref: Wiki

Heavy water, formally called deuterium oxide (2H2O or D2O), is a form of water that contains a larger than normal amount of the hydrogen isotope deuterium, (also known as heavy hydrogen, which can be symbolized as 2H or D) rather than the common hydrogen-1 isotope (called protium, symbolized as 1H) that makes up most of the hydrogen in normal water.[1]

The colloquial term heavy water is often also used to refer to a highly enriched water mixture that contains mostly deuterium oxide but also contains some ordinary water molecules as well.

Coming back to the original post, clearly humans were convinced they knew what was going on and made statements which were then taught to students as being correct, when in fact it was pure conjecture. The goal posts get shifted and new 'facts' emerge.

Pluto a planet? Global warming? Are we alone in the universe? It does make one ask, 'what should we believed' these days? Science is not exact, therefore, the information from science cannot be exact either.

So where did all that salt water come from? Is Pluto a planet at 1400 miles in diameter?

Register to Reply
Guru

09/29/2014 11:31 AM

Back on the planet again, back where a friend is a friend, where the lonesome cattle feed on the lowly jimson weed and have atropine induced hallucinations.

In reply to #29

09/29/2014 11:45 AM

Have you been away? Has earth change very much since you were last here? Obviously you were worried about you cows. I hope they are OK, Carol'D.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #30

09/29/2014 11:58 AM

They seem to be ok except for those pie shaped biopsies and crazy eyes.

As far as the earth changes, I noticed a lot of what are labeled currency exchange/lotto, fried chicken and cell phone establishments. Also a large conglomeration of metal boxes on wheels with a sign proclaiming "PARADISE MOBILE HOME PARK".

In reply to #31

09/29/2014 12:54 PM

Confirmation for you: you are on planet earth. You may have missed this but that cell phone establishment place is where one buys a new brain and it is so small yet powerful, it can be carried around in a pocket, saving space now in the cranium orifice. It is a painless and easy transition and almost everyone is addicted to this pocket brain. You may have missed this evolutionary progress.

Mobile Park homes: cautionary info, they are not mobile, they simple sit there and it takes years before they move. There is never a park near them and I understand paradise looks totally different.

Welcome back to earth. N.B.; are you sure the cows have crazy eyes, Are you not looking at the dope head next door in his very still, insitue wheeled box?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #32

09/29/2014 1:03 PM

As far as cellphones and pain, I have heard random musical tones as a result of cell users craniums bouncing off metal lamp poles. This must leave a mark.

In reply to #33

09/29/2014 1:08 PM

I beleive it does leave a mark however councils have this under control, they have standby repaires to act swiftly to prevent corrosion setting in on the pole.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #34

09/29/2014 1:14 PM

So about Pluto, were you there and was the accommodation to your expectations? Plenty to do of a evening or did you utilise the bar facility. I stopped gong when it lost its 4 star planet rating from NASA. I beleieve Mars has become quite popular and a fashionable destination for the upper classes.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 36 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

70AARCuda (1); adreasler (1); Crabtree (1); europium mkII (2); Fredski (1); IQ (9); Janissaries (2); JBTardis (1); JNB (2); PWSlack (1); redfred (5); snatr (1); SolarEagle (1); tcmtech (1); Unredundant (6); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Cherry Trees   Next in Forum: Scratchy Drawing

Advertisement