Previous in Forum: What Is a Rotary Pulse Jet?   Next in Forum: Electro-Magnetic Separation Device In Water
Close
Close
Close
3 comments
Participant

Athletic Textiles Startup - Prototyping New Material

01/14/2015 4:55 AM

I am working in the prototyping stage of an athletic shoe project. My design relies heavily on a patent pending material that lines the inside of shoe (something like you would find in a Bikram Yoga mat). I know what I need this material to do, and how it should act, but I do not know and have not yet tested the exact physical composition of the material. I need to play with different mixtures of elastomers, to create different levels of density, abrasion resistance, compression set, weather ability, breathability, etc. (I have very little previous experience in the field) Before I raise money for the actually materials testing, I need to consult an engineer/industry professional to get a better idea of what I can expect in this materials research stage . I also need to know if I should pay for or partner with a materials professional. Is it possible to receive some consultation for free? How much of my research can be done without actually creating a square of fabric? That is, can an expert in the field help me "theoretically dial in" on my material to save time and money in lab testing? Thank you for your help, Stephen

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 781

Re: Athletic Textiles Startup - Prototyping New Material

01/14/2015 5:27 AM

McMaster-Carr, to pick one source, offers sample kits of elastomers in several durometers. Similarly, fabric stores might be able to give you swatches of various cloth. Those might give you a start on self-investigation. Also read up on sports gear catalogs. They'll brag about their materials, maybe not enough to pin them down tightly, but enough to give hints.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 54

01/14/2015 9:37 AM

Go out and buy yourself a few different "yoga mats" and try your design? Find out if there is a rubber or elastomer molding shop near you where they can show you the different materials and I'm sure they would give you some "FREE" samples or "FREE" advice regarding your material and their capabilities.

• Is this "patent pending" material yours or does it belong to someone else?
  • Who is creating the material now?
  • What area / country / city are you in?
  • Are you trying to mold a single piece or multiple parts sewed together?

A little more info always helps.
Good luck.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 70

01/14/2015 11:25 AM

Check out this site..he may be able to help or point you somewhere.

http://www.exeter-research.com/

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Original_Macgyver (1); Tom_Consulting (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: What Is a Rotary Pulse Jet?   Next in Forum: Electro-Magnetic Separation Device In Water

Advertisement