Previous in Forum: Leaptech Aviation   Next in Forum: Space X to Try Again, Watch it LIVE
Close
Close
Close
12 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 206

Apollo Quiz

03/28/2015 11:39 AM
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

Re: Apollo quiz

03/28/2015 11:59 AM

My memory on this isn't all that hot: 5/10.

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 64

03/28/2015 12:28 PM

I got 7 answers out of 10.

During Appollo -11 mission time, I have collected all the cuttings appeared in the News Papers. Later a ook was published and I purchased, still I am having the book. Even though once in a way, I read the book, I missed 3 questions.

DHAYANANDHAN.S

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 936

03/28/2015 12:47 PM

I got 7 of 10, too. What the quiz identifies as the first words from the moon, I thought were actually uttered by somebody in Houston. (That's a hint.) There's also a hint in the quiz about the aircraft carrier.

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918
In reply to #3

03/28/2015 4:37 PM

Yeah, I was not sure about that one, but I did recall the response, "We copy you down, Eagle."

Guru

Good Answers: 242
In reply to #3

03/29/2015 12:03 AM

7 of 10 here too...

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 409

03/28/2015 4:06 PM

Doesn't seem to work on my iPad. Just returned from vacation in Washington DC, and the Smithhsonian Air and Space museum had a Saturn V F1 engine on display, absolutely impressive.

03/28/2015 6:20 PM

I remember Neil Armstrong said in one of his interview he said when our mission was done and to leave the moon i ran the engines of Apollo by my pen because the engine on-off switch was broken when i was trying to use it. i am always asking myself what if this switch didn't move to on position and what will be Neil,s feeling .and any delay is not beside him

Guru

Good Answers: 33

03/28/2015 8:17 PM

Despite I remember my excitement as a young teenager sitting with my family around watching blurred images of the landing on TV.... I only got a lousy 6 / 10 Should I get concerned??? elder people are supposed to loose recent memory!

Good Answers: 27

03/29/2015 12:49 AM

They put SOLAR EAGLE on the moon!!!!!!!???

Good Answers: 27

03/29/2015 1:01 AM

I surprised myself with an 8/10. Guessed wrong on the first words one even though i knew it wasn't "One small step etc." as they were spoken as he stepped onto the moon. There was a lot of procedural chat before then. Also didn't expect them to not have their names on the badge. Why not? A name tag may have been the only way to identify them in some circumstances. Maybe that was the reason, think positively, there will be no accident. Barr some switch knobs breaking off.
Jim

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918
In reply to #10

03/29/2015 9:32 AM

I read an interview with Buzz Aldrin and when he was asked what was the first thing he did when he stepped onto the Moon he replied, " I pissed my pants."

Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

03/29/2015 10:24 AM

I say I got 9/10, but the quiz says 8/10. I missed the question about the Apollo 11 patch.

I'll quibble with the question about the first words spoken on the moon. The phrase 'contact light' occurred with the Eagle still a few feet above the lunar surface, when the contact probes first touched the surface. At that point the rocket engine was still firing. Once they saw the contact light, they shut the engine off and then landed. Only then did Armstrong announce 'Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed.'

Here's a video of the landing. Skip forward to the 8:50 mark. There were actually other technical words spoken about shutting off the engine and other systems after seeing the contact light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BvbD-1qZtc

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Hero (2); classic (1); dhayanandhan (1); dkwarner (1); JIMRAT (2); phoenix911 (1); r&ddoc (1); redfred (1); Tornado (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Leaptech Aviation   Next in Forum: Space X to Try Again, Watch it LIVE

Advertisement