Previous in Forum: Breaker Size   Next in Forum: Calculating Reactance and Resistance of Transformer Without Copper Loss Data
Close
Close
Close
39 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Transformer Coil Windings

06/23/2015 3:36 PM

I have a phase shifting transformer with a core and coil of 1000000 lbs. Winding material is copper. What percentage of that weight would be copper?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 283

Re: Tansformer coil windings

06/23/2015 3:47 PM

Come on, Bob. What percentage of this answer is contained in your textbook?

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 940

06/23/2015 3:50 PM

Possibly none of it.

Moving one million pounds of anything is not for amateurs. Come back when you have a more plausible question. And if you want a plausible answer don't post anonymously.

Guru

Good Answers: 151

06/23/2015 4:07 PM

Return it to where you stole it

Good Answers: 40
In reply to #3

06/24/2015 12:37 AM

google who is missing that beast!

Guru

Good Answers: 1744

06/23/2015 4:21 PM

~22%...

Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 54

06/23/2015 4:23 PM

~78%

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

06/23/2015 4:24 PM

I heard of them stealing the transformers off the poles. But to heist a piece of equipment out of a power station. I'd post anonymously too. Don't know of too many companies that would give up something of that value.

How many of your buddies it take to move it.

06/23/2015 4:25 PM

Probably just enough to get you 2-5 years in prison for grand theft!

So, how did you move this 1,000,000 LB transformer? An appliance dolly?

Good Answers: 32
In reply to #7

06/24/2015 4:49 AM

Give him some credit, after all, The Brooklyn Bridge didn't need to be moved prior to its sale.

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

06/23/2015 4:40 PM

Trick question, the transformer actually uses aluminium windings so copper content is negligible.

Oddly enough we don't measure (say) high voltage transmission sized transformers by the pound.

This really does look like a homework question (which we don't do here).

In reply to #8

06/23/2015 4:57 PM

I think that's explains the content of most of the postings!

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376
In reply to #9

06/23/2015 5:59 PM

Nah, that would be using us as a manned internet search engine for basic questions. Sure it has the personal touch, but it really isn't what the site is here for.

That and a free consultancy service.

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: California, USA, where the Godless live next door to God.
Good Answers: 796

Re: Tansformer Coil Windings

06/23/2015 8:17 PM

What is a tansformer coil? Never heard of it. If you meant a transformer coil, then I don't know, too many variables. Could be anywhere from 1-15%.

Good Answers: 107
In reply to #11

06/23/2015 9:16 PM

With possible content of 16 up to 95%.

We also forgot to mention that there is maybe a ton of copper in there but zero lbs.

A couple of weeks ago somebody asked about a book for "trasformer".

Pretty entertaining if you think about it!

Good Answers: 107
In reply to #11

06/23/2015 11:07 PM

Look at this. While we were all responding to a thread "Tansformer Coil Windings" it now transformed into a thread "Transformer coil windings"

Thanks Admin to make us all look stupid.

Or not?

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
Good Answers: 122

Re: Transformer Coil Windings

06/24/2015 9:09 AM

It totally depends on the transformer type, design, and efficiency rating.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

06/24/2015 9:33 AM

A device of that size will have been accompanied by sufficient documentation to look that up locally. So, what has happened to the documentation, please?

Good Answers: 1663

Tansforumer Croil Wongdings

06/24/2015 9:34 AM

It may be wound with Wolfram.

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.

06/24/2015 10:08 AM

...or bullshine. Only the documentation that came with it could say with any certainty.

Good Answers: 1

06/24/2015 10:15 AM

Old Westinghouse Transformer. ABB responded that it is proprietory info and are closed mouthed about it. WAPA is the owner and they are going to ABB now to get info. Also they original drawings are archived at Ball State University and they are willing to share that info. We are just a electrical contractor who has been building substations for 25 years and haven't run into this situation before, My experience tells me that it should be between 25 and 30% copper in the core and coils. We are just trying to be sure before we make a decision on which way to proceed.

Guru

In reply to #20

06/24/2015 10:22 AM

Thank you for that.

A little explanation will go a long way toward getting real help from the smart guys here. (present responder excepted).

Welcome to the forum.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #20

06/24/2015 10:46 AM

This does make better sense now but there is still one thing I do not understand. Why do you need to estimate how much copper exists? If your in the process of scrapping this massive transformer then the quantity can be determined after removal. If this transformer will not be scrapped then the quantity of copper seems like a moot point to me, all of it should remain.

The only scenario that comes to my mind why one would like to know how much copper exists in a massive power substation transformer is so bizarre that I'd rather not say. I will say that it involves either a neutron or proton beam accelerated to near light speeds.

Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 444
In reply to #23

06/24/2015 10:58 AM

More than likely the scrap value is part of the incentive for performing the work, and OP is trying to figure out if he can make a profit on the venture. It's kind of like "Storage Wars" or "Pawn Stars", if his estimate is too far off he'll lose money on the job since the rigging costs for something that big are tremendous.

In reply to #24

06/24/2015 11:42 AM

With a million pounds of metal, a safe bet would be to attribute all of the weight to the mild steel of the core and make that scrap material return your anticipated break even point. This way if the likely large amount of aluminum wire is used in this transformer or if too much copper corrosion has happened then a safe estimate has been applied. With this also being an old transformer there may even be a PBB or PCB oil contamination concern that may dramatically increase disposal costs.

In reply to #27

06/24/2015 11:48 AM

WAPA claims they are PCB free and the coils are copper. Our bid was based on their info. If they are wrong they will have to make adjustments in contract.

Guru

In reply to #28

06/24/2015 12:33 PM

Now that sounds like a good solution.

As far has a likely total amount of copper, I cannot help you there. The only information I can give you is some vague disappointing information that is probably not news to you. With the gradual but continuing improvements in ferromagnetic materials, today's cores weigh less than they do when that transformer was designed and built.

Good Answers: 151
In reply to #20

06/24/2015 4:37 PM

My apology for my wise crack remark. But that is what can happen when you come here as an anonymous poster with little information.

Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 444

06/24/2015 10:40 AM

Since you already have the nameplate information you can find information on approximating the answer in the J&P Transformer Book or the Westinghouse T&D Handbook.

I'm assuming that you're trying to determine the scrap value of an old transmission or power station transformer. The reason ABB won't give you any information is that it doesn't want to give out enough information so that miscreants can decide to target these things. That said, it's a relatively easy thing to do once you do an internal inspection of the unit. If you have more specs on the unit I may be able to help, but I will not post the information in a public forum such as this.

In reply to #22

06/24/2015 11:19 AM

Tadaaaa!

In reply to #22

06/24/2015 11:25 AM

Units are still energized and can't access until shoe fly is built. Yes we are trying to evaluate scrap value. I have a couple of options on how to proceed and just want to make the right decision. I have offers from scrap dealers to come in and scrap entirely, or I can work in conjunction with a dealer and sell the scrap outright.

Guru

Good Answers: 102
In reply to #26

06/25/2015 2:24 AM

Energised and loaded or just energised?

Participant

06/25/2015 8:33 AM

I got lucky and tracked down original design engineer (now retired) and got the info. I needed. Things will work out well on the salvage. I thank everyone for their input. I learned more about phase shifting regulators than I ever wanted too know. Sorry about the anonymous, didn't think it was important.

Bob Woods

Interstate Electrical Contractors Inc.

Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

In reply to #32

06/25/2015 9:35 AM

Congratulations.

Stick around. We need smart, resourceful members here.

Guru

In reply to #33

06/25/2015 9:43 AM

Yes! I'm glad you found your information from the original engineer. Buy them a beer or whatever is their favorite adult beverage.

I also would like Bob to stick around. I'm particularly interested in getting some updates about this salvage operation and the safety protocols needed to isolate and move this massive transformer.

In reply to #32

06/26/2015 1:42 AM

Well done. How did you find out who he was?

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194

06/26/2015 3:20 AM

That's 500 tons! How did you "get" it, and where are you keeping it?

Or, maybe I should ask "Where are you planning on getting it?"

In reply to #36

06/26/2015 7:19 AM

He hasn't got it yet. It's still in service. I think OP is bidding for the salvage. Chop up on site and take it away piece by piece would be my guess.

Some serious urban mining. To bad commodity (scrap) prices have tanked a bit.

I wonder if you could use the trafo oil as diesel fuel?....thinking aloud.

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194
In reply to #37

06/26/2015 4:14 PM

As usual, I delayed replying after reading the posts, and didn't see the OP declare his true identity (and intentions) in the interim.

There is nothing in my experience with this piece of equipment. A million pounds!

I snipped this:

It depends on what the oil is. In many if not all large transformers, PCB (poly-chlorinated biphenyl)-based oils were used. If so, then not!

In reply to #38

06/26/2015 10:07 PM

OP was told that it does not contain PCBs.

I liked those photos you shared. Gives a sense of scale.

If the oil is a reasonable diesel fuel then that's a disposal problem turned into money or can you sell second hand trafo oil?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bob woods (4); Doorman (1); gringogreg (2); GW (1); IdeaSmith (2); jack of all trades (2); JRaef (1); kendall (1); lyn (3); Mikerho (2); Original_Macgyver (3); ozzb (1); PWSlack (3); RAMConsult (2); redfred (5); SHOCKHISCAN (1); SolarEagle (1); Wal (4)

Previous in Forum: Breaker Size   Next in Forum: Calculating Reactance and Resistance of Transformer Without Copper Loss Data

Advertisement